PDA

View Full Version : ATMOS - is it worth it?

BilliumB
23-06-2017, 19:18
I'm planning a home cinema set-up in a dual purpose room we plan to use as a 'library'/quiet reading room and as a home cinema room - with a 4k projector (hopefully the price will drop soon!) and a 105" drop down screen in front of book cases.

The plan is to use a pair of Frugelhorns (Frugel3) as the L & R speakers and to make a centre speaker using the same Alpair 7.3 driver as used in the Frugelhorns. For rear speakers I'm planing to use a pair of NXT panels (Carlsbro NLightN) that I picked up cheap on ebay - the expectation is that these will provide a diffuse source (the flat panels are a fair size - 750x550x86mm), I'm hoping to stick pictures on these to make them 'acceptable'. I'm currently looking into what sub to add as well.

My question though, is whether I should use the opportunity of the building work we're planning, to also add 4 ceiling speakers to create a 5.1.4 ATMOS setup? What experience can anyone offer - is it worth it?

For background the room size is basically 124" wide x 204" long x 95" high (10'4" x 17' x 7'11"), with an inglenook fireplace on one long side - the screen and front Left, Right and Centre speakers would be looking up the length of the room. A 7.1 system would be difficult due to the position of the fireplace - the choice is therefore 5.1 or 5.1.4 .

Thanks for any experience you can offer.

Cheers. Bill

griff74
25-06-2017, 17:14
In short yes, and not just for Atmos but for DTS X as well.
We got the free upfiring Atmos speakers with our Onkyo 636, they sit on top of the front Dali Zensors and (once I realised the auto setup with the mic had set their level laughable low and turned it right up) add a very noticeable dimension to the sound in Atmos soundtracks.
One of our friends has just built his own home with a theatre room and he installed 4 ceiling speakers, it sounds even better, in decently mixed soundtracks you really do get the sense of things coming at you, over you and then behind, it's awesome!

Light Capture
18-02-2022, 02:17
It depends on the type of movies you watch, for me the answer is no.

Jac Hawk
18-02-2022, 09:18
in my lounge i use a Yamaha AV amp and Bose Acustimas 5.1 system, i don't have Atmos only Dolby digital and DTS, I'd say if you intend buying a new setup then make sure you go for an AV amp with 4K pass through and with the most up to date audio encoders possible, so yes definitely make sure you get Atmos. Atmos is better than the systems before it, but it's not night and day better, speaker set up and EQ set up is as important so I would get an amp with an auto EQ set up as it will make life much easier, also some dirty great subs for the true cinema experience