PDA

View Full Version : Technics parallel trackers

Dave Hewitt
23-01-2010, 17:54
This may be a question for Marco.Has he or anyone any views on the performance of the better models of these with regard to the sl1200 models .Also do any of the bearing mods apply to these direct drive decks?I ask this question because my friend recently borrowed my sl7 and his oppinion was that it substantially bettered his lin sondek.
Regards to all Dave.

Ian Walker
23-01-2010, 17:59
He must be bloody deaf Dave,nowts better than a Sondek:)

Dave Hewitt
23-01-2010, 18:10
Hi
I notice that some of these parallel trackers can be powered from an external 12volt power supply eg car battery ,would this be equivalent to an upgrade of the decks own supply?
Regards Dave.

DSJR
23-01-2010, 18:12
Dave, his LP12 may be in need of a fettling to sort it out...;)

The SL7 was a great and easy deck to use and own and I have experience of using and selling them. According to Martin Colloms, the SL7 was the best of all of these midi machines, even better than the lovely SL10 model apparently... The sound is a bit "dry" and very dependant on the cartridge and stylus used. I'd put it in the Planar 2 category at least, but an LP12?? - Not if the latter was correctly sorted with fresh belt, mat and an internal checkover..... The SL7 may be more tonally neutral though, depending on the age of his squidge-dek..

As regards tuning further, I don't think it's desirable or possible to be honest. The mat has cutouts IIRC to allow the record sizing sensors to work and grips the record well at the correct height. The exit cable to the amp could be usefully replaced, assuming you can break into the deck to replace it.

Seriously, regard the SL7 as a great piece of 1970's turntable history and if you really want a direct drive to fettle, get the Techie 1200/1210 mk2 at least...

chris@panteg
23-01-2010, 18:38
I have the SLQ-L1 ' which is just a bigger version of the SL7 really , using the same arm and motor ' .

Its also a bit more weight 7.4 kg as opposed to 6.5 for the SL7 , as for its sound well its very good especially for the £25 i paid for it , better than an LP12 ? well what is the spec of the LP12 he is using and has it been serviced and maintained.

The biggest problem with these old techie linear's though is ' you are very limited to cartridge choice and if you find something good it will most likely be from the states.

In mine i use the AT 3482 at about £15' its surprisingly sweet sounding mainly due to a carbon fiber cantilever but a Troika it ain't .

Like Dave said if the DD sound appeals ' then look to a modded 1200 or if you can get hold of one a PL71 .

DSJR
23-01-2010, 19:06
There's only one person who really started wetting himself over the PL71. I recently found a needle drop I downloaded from the no.2 fan and the sound isn't too hot to be honest, even when compared with my Dual701/OC9/Spacemat/Croft. My "version" sounds so much more atmospheric, even more musical and with a tuneful and agile bass compared with the PL71/Denon 103?/NVA needle-drop.

The techie 1200 is still being made, spares and upgrades are easy to obtain and the cost isn't that high for a new mk5 when you realise how far you can go with it as funds permit.

Marco
23-01-2010, 19:12
Good evening Elvis,

Sorry, I don't have much experience with the Techy parallel trackers... However I would tend to agree with what the other guys are saying.

Do you know the spec of your friend's LP12 - i.e. at least what PSU, arm and cartridge he's using? :)

Marco.

Marco
23-01-2010, 19:20
There's only one person who really started wetting himself over the PL71. I recently found a needle drop I downloaded from the no.2 fan and the sound isn't too hot to be honest, even when compared with my Dual701/OC9/Spacemat/Croft.

Dunno what was wrong then, Dave, as I can assure you that the PL-71 is a very serious turntable. I heard Neil (NRG's) at the last Owston fest, and it was very nearly as good as my (heavily-modded) Techy, which cost many times more than it did.

Given that the PL-71 I heard was pretty much stock (fitted with a DL-103R), I can well imagine how much it would piss all over a stock Techy from a very great height!!

There must have been some issue with the way the needle drop was recorded, or that particular PL-71 was not set-up properly or fecked :)

Marco.

Dave Hewitt
23-01-2010, 19:20
Hi Marco.
As far asI know it was a standard lp12 with the first upgrade ps board,rega rb 300 and I think a Denon dl 103 cartridge.
Dave.

chris@panteg
23-01-2010, 19:21
Hi Dave DSJR that is

Well FWIW i think you have a nice turntable set up there .

But back to the Techie Linear's , i think its well worth buying one and trying out as a second deck , as long as its working ok ' might need some servicing , but an SLQL1 sold recently for £6.50 + postage on fleabay in pretty much mint condition , where as the SL7 sells for around £60-80 .

My plan is to have the Lenco/SME3009 running along side the QL1 in my family system :)

chris@panteg
23-01-2010, 19:26
Hi Marco.
As far asI know it was a standard lp12 with the first upgrade ps board,rega rb 300 and I think a Denon dl 103 cartridge.
Dave.

Has the rega got any extra mass for the 103 , mind you Marco is your man for the DL103 :)

Dave Hewitt
23-01-2010, 19:30
Hi
Just had alook round the garage and came across a rotel rp 3000 motor unit.How do these shape up to the Pioneer?
Dave.

Marco
23-01-2010, 19:35
Hi Marco.
Dave.

Interesting. I can't really comment, as I've heard neither his LP12 nor your SL7. However RB300s and DL103s are a match made in HELL. That combination just does not work on any musical level (that is if you know how a DL-103 is supposed to sound when partnered properly).

One thing I would say though is that the SL7 is very well engineered, and depending on what music was played, and indeed what aspects of the presentation your friend 'tunes into' when listening to music, it's possible that the SL7 could do certain things better than his LP12. But overall his LP12 should be noticably superior, providing that it's in good shape, and when a more 'holistically matched' arm and cartridge are used.

However bass, for example, is liable to be tighter and 'harder' on the SL7, due to the direct-drive motor mechanism, which will have a knock-on effect on other areas of the musical presentation. It also depends on the sonic signature of his system - the SL7 could perhaps suit its balance more than his LP12. There are simply too many variables to consider, matey! :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
23-01-2010, 19:35
looks interesting is it in good nick

Sorry link deleted

chris@panteg
23-01-2010, 19:44
Interesting. I can't really comment, as I've heard neither his LP12 nor your SL7. However RB300s and DL103s are a match made in HELL. That combination just does not work on any musical level (that is if you know how a DL-103 is supposed to sound when partnered properly).

One thing I would say though is that the SL7 is very well engineered, and depending on what music was played, and indeed what aspects of the presentation your friend 'tunes into' when listening to music, it's possible that the SL7 could do certain things better than his LP12. But, overall, his LP12 should be noticably better, providing it's in good shape.

Bass, for example, is liable to be tighter and 'harder', which will have a knock-on effect in other areas of the musical presentation. It also depends on the sonic signature of his system - the SL7 could perhaps suit its balance more than his LP12. There are simply too many variables to consider, matey! :)

Marco.

Marco if its anything like my QL1 ' it will have a very dry articulate bass and a nice open soundstage with good width and depth , i find the arm can be twitchy though and needs some care when servicing .

This is another problem ' if the arm go's tits up then its curtains .

Dave Hewitt
23-01-2010, 19:45
Hi
Yes the rotel is in very good condition,but dont know about the fitted arm,seemms to be a Lustre clone.I have an at 1005 arm would this be a better choice than the rotel one?
Regards Dave.

chris@panteg
23-01-2010, 19:59
Why not try it as it is ' see what happens if you like it , the AT arm has a different length and overhang than the Rotel ' I think Dave Cawley can help you out better here.

Beobloke
25-01-2010, 13:08
I've had a few of the more basic Technics linear trackers and they are not giant-killers by any stretch of the imagination but, that said, they always sound enjoyable and offer a great sound-per-pound factor. The inbuilt phono preamps of the models that have them are also surprisingly capable.

The one I'd really like to try, however, is the SL-M3...

DSJR
25-01-2010, 16:55
The Rotel wasn't too bad as I recall, but HiFi Choice didn't test it, unlike the 3300 and 5300 which appear to use the OEM Matsushita drive and platter in a semi-solid plinth with diabolical isolation, which screwed up the sound. The arms weren't the best of their type either, although a modern headshell, mat and proper isolation feet or sheeting together with a proper dedicated support may just transform them for the better. You'll just have to try it, along with some viscous oil in the bearing.