PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD 160

dantheman91
20-06-2017, 18:50
Hi Guys

Well this arrived today along with another FM4 :eek:

Seems to be running OK on 33 but slipping on 45 the belt seems a little slack so im guessing its time to order a new one? - does anyone have one i here i could use to test to see if it is the belt as dont really want to buy a new one if the fault is elsewhere - the spindle is clean and the motor is fine too

Boxed too needs a good clean very presentable pictures to follow the guy has more goodies too from a clearance in Christchurch i made him an offer he took it :)

walpurgis
20-06-2017, 18:59
Piccies?

killie99
20-06-2017, 20:09
If it's just the belt slipping making the speed inconsistent then it's the belt that is stretched. If it's the belt slipping off the pully (or failing to ride up on to the large part of the pully) it may still be the belt or the motor azimuth. If it's the belt slipping off the pully only when you stop the platter it's either the clutch or the azimuth ... well that's what I've found on the many 160's I've worked on.
Great advice on Thorens here, including belt sizes: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=3095

Bigman80
20-06-2017, 20:32
The Thakker branded belts are usually what people recommend. Ive been looking at 160's for a while. I still regret never buying Grants.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

HackneyRF
20-06-2017, 21:17
I have a spare Thakker you'd be welcome to borrow if you'd like to test it Dan, but if you intend to keep hold, it might be worth putting the postage costs into picking up a new belt anyway.

dantheman91
21-06-2017, 04:50
Piccies?

When i get in from work...:)

dantheman91
21-06-2017, 04:50
If it's just the belt slipping making the speed inconsistent then it's the belt that is stretched. If it's the belt slipping off the pully (or failing to ride up on to the large part of the pully) it may still be the belt or the motor azimuth. If it's the belt slipping off the pully only when you stop the platter it's either the clutch or the azimuth ... well that's what I've found on the many 160's I've worked on.
Great advice on Thorens here, including belt sizes: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=3095

Thank you..

dantheman91
21-06-2017, 04:51
The Thakker branded belts are usually what people recommend. Ive been looking at 160's for a while. I still regret never buying Grants.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Gorgeous looking thing this one need a clean but otherwise sound...

dantheman91
21-06-2017, 04:52
I have a spare Thakker you'd be welcome to borrow if you'd like to test it Dan, but if you intend to keep hold, it might be worth putting the postage costs into picking up a new belt anyway.

PM incoming...:)

dantheman91
21-06-2017, 05:26
Pictures - Clean up not yet done the lid is present but a little worse for ware..:( still usable...

tlscapital
21-06-2017, 08:00
Dan, first clean the pulley, the sub platter and the belt with 50% isopropyl and 50% "unscaled" water even if they look clean. You'll be surprise by the color of your cloth afterward.

Then just buy yourself a new belt. If not for now use, still to trial and sort your belt slippage at 45 rpm issue, then for later. Thakker's belt are good just like the Thorens ones at a fraction of the price.

walpurgis
21-06-2017, 08:26
Looks good Dan. Nice sounding TT the TD160. The arm is quite capable of handling a decent cartridge too.

HackneyRF
21-06-2017, 09:08
PM incoming...:)

Your inbox is full Dan.

dantheman91
21-06-2017, 11:37
Your inbox is full Dan.

Cleared Loz...

Thanks...

Haselsh1
21-06-2017, 15:03
A year or so back I replaced the belt on my then TD160 and bought it from Analogue Seduction. Really good place, excellent service.

Barry
21-06-2017, 15:08
Many people recommend Thakker belts, but the ones I have used on my TD124 have not lasted long due to premature stretching. Initially they are fine, but a few months later they need to be replaced. Caveat emptor

helma
22-06-2017, 16:34
I went through a number of cheap aftermarket replacements for the TD-160 and none were of the exact right thickness, which will result in the speed being off. I had a TT that took Thorens belts and it had speed adjustments so I could use those belts in that, but for the Thorens I ended up getting an original and it was spot on and still doing ok few years later. Didn't try the Thakker belt, I've heard mixed things about those. Many people say they are perfect but others have complained of speed being off. Maybe at some point they had a run that was off and they've since corrected it or something. I think the Thorens belt was about 20 euros with shipping from Germany and since it gives years of service, doesn't seem to me worth it to risk it for saving a fiver or something.

Wakefield Turntables
22-06-2017, 20:09
I remember having the same problem when I did up a TD150 for a giggle. I bought Thakker, nice enough belt, good quality but didn't cure the timing issue. Bought the Thorens nd my problem was sorted within 30 seconds of fitting. I agree, spend a little extra and buy the original saves a lot of messing around.

dantheman91
23-06-2017, 15:21
Update guys

Tried the loan belt from Loz and the issue persists :scratch: I think i need to get it professionally serviced then go from their the selector engages but its not reaching up to 45 I have tried many ways to get it to play taking to platter of an adjusting by hand to 45 but the belt slips back down to 33 after i put it back on tried both new and old belt still the same it will occasionally select but by the time its done it im not in the mood this is a strange one i will get it going eventually.

tlscapital
27-06-2017, 08:02
Update guys

Tried the loan belt from Loz and the issue persists

Like you I don't get it Dan. I find it strange if still after a dry clean process a brand new belt change it still drops down on the pulley to make it impossible to play at 45 rpm, the issue should reside in some "mechanical" challenge.

I think i need to get it professionally serviced then go from their the selector engages but its not reaching up to 45 I have tried many ways to get it to play taking to platter of an adjusting by hand to 45 but the belt slips back down to 33 after i put it back on tried both new and old belt still the same it will occasionally select but by the time its done it im not in the mood this is a strange one i will get it going eventually.

Hoping it's not an spindle or bearing out of it's 90° angle set, it could be a simpler re-adjustment of the belt lift up/down "trigger" issue. Have you check that out with the platter upside down on the sub-platter with the motor running to have a good view if the trigger lift the belt high enough switching from 33 to 45 and is able to keep it up there ?

Try that maybe before bringing it for a costly revision.

killie99
27-06-2017, 09:44
Try adjusting the motor azimuth, see page 2 of the service manual which you can download from Vinyl Engine.

tlscapital
27-06-2017, 11:27
Try adjusting the motor azimuth, see page 2 of the service manual which you can download from Vinyl Engine.

Yop 'killie99', I thaught to point that out also, then skipped and forgot about it. It's true that this issue dates from day one. So it could have been slightly "undone" to change the motor's azimuth along the way...