PDA

View Full Version : phono stage bake off

karma67
19-06-2017, 16:06
see here for details,jez or alan are most welcome :)

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6938

Bigman80
19-06-2017, 16:07
see here for details,jez or alan are most welcome :)

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6938
Is he who cannot be named going?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

karma67
19-06-2017, 16:10
he is but if that puts those 2 off going he is prepared to stay away and just send his phono stage to the bake off,cant say fairer than that .

Bigman80
19-06-2017, 16:11
he is but if that puts those 2 off going he is prepared to stay away and just send his phono stage to the bake off,cant say fairer than that .
I cant see Alan having an issue ? I am sure all would be welcome and treated respectfully. You going Jamie?

walpurgis
19-06-2017, 16:14
Wot's a phono satge?

If somebody asks me nicely, I'll edit the title. :D

karma67
19-06-2017, 16:19
please geoff,ive been welding all day,the heat must have got to me :)

karma67
19-06-2017, 16:22
I cant see Alan having an issue ? I am sure all would be welcome and treated respectfully. You going Jamie?

im sure he will be,alas he's not going due to the obvious,shame.
its a bit to far oliver for me id of like to see the Nak wipe the floor with the lot of them lol

walpurgis
19-06-2017, 16:22
the heat must have got to me :)

Dunno what it's like down in Brighton Jamie, but it's wickedly hot and sticky here.

Bigman80
19-06-2017, 16:26
im sure he will be,alas he's not going due to the obvious,shame.
its a bit to far oliver for me id of like to see the Nak wipe the floor with the lot of them lol
So hes just sending his NVA? Swnd me the NAK, ill take it 😉

karma67
19-06-2017, 16:28
Dunno what it's like down in Brighton Jamie, but it's wickedly hot and sticky here.
bloody murder mate!

Qwin
19-06-2017, 16:31
I would be interested in going.

Can't see any date for it yet though.

p147
19-06-2017, 17:23
Hello Jamie,
I would like to express an interest if it is in Brighton.
Have you got a date in mind?
Thanks
Paul

Arkless Electronics
19-06-2017, 17:29

Hot enough to boil a monkeys bum...

I'll not be attending or sending anything.

Floyddroid
19-06-2017, 17:45
Let me know if you do and i'll come with you Ken.
I would be interested in going.

Can't see any date for it yet though.

Bigman80
19-06-2017, 18:03
Hot enough to boil a monkeys bum...

I'll not be attending or sending anything.
Thats hardly the spirit, Jez

Arkless Electronics
19-06-2017, 18:23
I see Alan has also said he will not attend in original thread on other forum...

YNWaN
19-06-2017, 18:26
I think Brighton is probably too far for us but otherwise could probably persuade Simon to bring a Paradise (if one isn't already attending).

What is the the rest of the system that is to be used?

karma67
19-06-2017, 18:41
its not in brighton,see the first post link.

Bigman80
19-06-2017, 19:01
I see Alan has also said he will not attend in original thread on other forum...

Ah, I didn't see the last page. We need a neutral venue for a AOS phonostage shootout. Maybe we could get an impartial panel, blind test type situation going.

p147
19-06-2017, 19:36

Oh well never mind, heat must be getting to me.

YNWaN
19-06-2017, 20:32

Yes, unfortunately I have now seen the link in the first post (though never heard of that forum before).

Sorry, my interest has faded.

Qwin
20-06-2017, 18:24
Let me know if you do and i'll come with you Ken.

OK Steve will do, confused about where it is going to be held with all this talk of Brighton.
I thought it was going to be at MCRU in Huddersfield? Which is much easier for us to get to.

Will need to know when and where before deciding.

I hope this is not shaping up to be a mud slinging match before the thing even gets off the ground, I can see why people might already have reservations.

Edit: Seems Its Sunday 2nd July at MCRU, Huddrsfield.

See post towards bottom of page 4 on Audio-Talk thread (No post numbers that I can see).
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6938&start=45

Scooby
20-06-2017, 19:16
I hope this is not shaping up to be a mud slinging match before the thing even gets off the ground, I can see why people might already have reservations.

See post towards bottom of page 4 on Audio-Talk thread (No post numbers that I can see).
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6938&start=45

Looks like it already has. Unsurprising given the instigator.

If and when I'm ready to upgrade to a better phono stage, I will be Adding my name to Alan or Jez's loan list. That way you can hear something in your own home and system with your own music, in your own time and without any noise or distraction from others.

Qwin
21-06-2017, 09:27
If and when I'm ready to upgrade to a better phono stage, I will be Adding my name to Alan or Jez's loan list. That way you can hear something in your own home and system with your own music, in your own time and without any noise or distraction from others.

That's the only way to be sure the unit works with the rest of your set up. :thumbsup:

I just thought it would be nice to hear a lot of phono stages, spread across a wide price range and pick out a few contenders I might want to try in my system at a later date.

Being played through the same system and the laws of diminishing returns being what they are, it's an opportunity to decide at which price point I would want to dive in.

Having said that, some individual stages will suit the test set up better than others, so it's never going to be a completely level playing field.

I will be making my own mind up anyway, regardless of the official outcome and I'm sure many people will be doing the same. :)

Bigman80
21-06-2017, 09:39
Looks like it already has. Unsurprising given the instigator.

👍 thats the best way.

Simon_LDT
08-07-2017, 00:44
Just had a read through the thread on audio-talk. It amazes me how some people will spend hours arguing over petty things on the internet. Some very childish behaviour. Well worth a read if you're bored for an hour and want some mild entertainment. :D

struth
08-07-2017, 01:20
Never be that bored

Floyddroid
08-07-2017, 07:47
It certainly looks like it was a good day though. I hope another one is arranged so i can get along to it. I would be very interested to take along my budget Schiit Mani just to put the cat amongst the pigeons. Stock item out of the box with a wall wart.

Bigman80
08-07-2017, 08:09
It certainly looks like it was a good day though. I hope another one is arranged so i can get along to it. I would be very interested to take along my budget Schiit Mani just to put the cat amongst the pigeons. Stock item out of the box with a wall wart.
I'd like to hear one of these too. Good reports all round and great price. Love to see how the FB-OTP MK2 sounds next to it.

Marco
08-07-2017, 09:55
:worthless:

Come on guys, if you're going to post threads about bake-offs, we NEED TO SEE PICS of the kit listened to! ;)

[And that doesn't include links to them posted elsewhere].

Marco.

CageyH
08-07-2017, 10:19
Over 30 pages on a "bake off" and no conclusion (other than certain people behaving completely as expected).

YNWaN
08-07-2017, 10:48
:worthless:

Come on guys, if you're going to post threads about bake-offs, we NEED TO SEE PICS of the kit listened to! ;)

[And that doesn't include links to them posted elsewhere].

Marco.

The problem is the whole thread really relates to an event organised and held by another forum. Having said that, I have read the thread on the forum linked to and all I can say is that the moderators are more tolerant than I would be.

Floyddroid
08-07-2017, 10:57
I'd like to hear one of these too. Good reports all round and great price. Love to see how the FB-OTP MK2 sounds next to it.

The general consensus at Nebo was that the FB OTP MK2 pipped the Mani to the post. My personal view that is that given the opportunity to adjust the Mani I think it would have been an even closer run race.

Bigman80
08-07-2017, 11:13
The general consensus at Nebo was that the FB OTP MK2 pipped the Mani to the post. My personal view that is that given the opportunity to adjust the Mani I think it would have been an even closer run race.
That was before the circuit redesign I think. It's a fair bit better than previously. Where about a are you, maybe we have a get together and see what we think? Bit of lunch in a local pub never hurts either lol

Floyddroid
08-07-2017, 13:48
Up North lad.

Firebottle
08-07-2017, 14:25
Over 30 pages on a "bake off" and no conclusion (other than certain people behaving completely as expected).

It does strike me as rather odd that almost nobody has listed their take on the bake-off, or order of merit if you will.

I haven't posted my thoughts on the AT forum for fear of being accused of self promotion (plus all the other BS).

So I'll stick it on here:

No 1. The Nick Gorham designed MFA stage, MM only but used with a £2.5K SUT, sorry can't remember which it was.

I'd not had the pleasure of hearing this before, though I know some of you on here have, it gets a universal first past the post rating to my knowledge.
A very neutral presentation with a stunning focus to the image.

No 2. Firebottle KIN. Only the phonostage section was in circuit, input to MC, output taken from the 'tape out'.

Very similar tonality to the MFA, neutral, but not quite such pinpoint focus. This was tried into the MM input later on using the £2.5K SUT and to my ears there was a very small increase in clarity.

No 3. Whest PS30-RDT. Very polished performer but lost out slightly when things got busy in the mix.

No 4. Steve S's EAR834P plus vintage Kiseki (?) silver wired SUT. This had Telefunken valves fitted and had a real 'body' to the sound. A little more full fat than neutral sound, I can imagine this would appeal to quite a few depending on taste.

No 5. Furutech GT40A. This was the first one I heard, it was good but I don't recall it standing out at all.

Theses are only my feelings on proceedings so take them as you will. YMMV.

Bigman80
08-07-2017, 14:37
Up North lad.
How far, I get free travel on the west coast mainline. Traveling isn't an issue usually. Unless its WAY up north lol. Drop me a PM if you fancy it 😀

Bigman80
08-07-2017, 14:39
It does strike me as rather odd that almost nobody has listed their take on the bake-off, or order of merit if you will.

I haven't posted my thoughts on the AT forum for fear of being accused of self promotion (plus all the other BS).

So I'll stick it on here:

No 1. The Nick Gorham designed MFA stage, MM only but used with a £2.5K SUT, sorry can't remember which it was.

I'd not had the pleasure of hearing this before, though I know some of you on here have, it gets a universal first past the post rating to my knowledge.
A very neutral presentation with a stunning focus to the image.

No 2. Firebottle KIN. Only the phonostage section was in circuit, input to MC, output taken from the 'tape out'.

Very similar tonality to the MFA, neutral, but not quite such pinpoint focus. This was tried into the MM input later on using the £2.5K SUT and to my ears there was a very small increase in clarity.

No 3. Whest PS30-RDT. Very polished performer but lost out slightly when things got busy in the mix.

No 4. Steve S's EAR834P plus vintage Kiseki (?) silver wired SUT. This had Telefunken valves fitted and had a real 'body' to the sound. A little more full fat than neutral sound, I can imagine this would appeal to quite a few depending on taste.

No 5. Furutech GT40A. This was the first one I heard, it was good but I don't recall it standing out at all.

Theses are only my feelings on proceedings so take them as you will. YMMV.
Was that the £9.5k Phono stage Al?

Firebottle
08-07-2017, 15:24
No 1 yes Oli. That's the retail price.

Actually just checked, it's £8.2K plus VAT = £9840, without SUT.

Bigman80
08-07-2017, 15:34
No 1 yes Oli. That's the retail price.
Sh@t the bed!!! So the KIN/Vivant was knats knacker away from a £10k setup. That's some achievment Al.

Marco
08-07-2017, 15:37
The problem is the whole thread really relates to an event organised and held by another forum. Having said that, I have read the thread on the forum linked to and all I can say is that the moderators are more tolerant than I would be.

Well in that case, the thread doesn't belong in our Community Network section, which is (strictly) solely for AoS member-derived events, and so will be moved into Blank Canvas.

Therefore folks, please note that in future, and also that ALL AoS member-derived bake-off threads should contain pics of some of the kit listened to. Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Stratmangler
08-07-2017, 16:11

Could that be narrowed down a little bit?

Wakefield Turntables
08-07-2017, 18:25
I stopped reading after 2 pages. I cant be bothered with petty squabbles.

Qwin
08-07-2017, 19:15
It was enough to put me off attending.

Stratmangler
08-07-2017, 19:48
It was enough to put me off attending.

Listening to the same tracks repeatedly is what stopped me attending.
I have bad memories of a DAC shootout at Owston a few years back, and it took a good few years before I could play a certain CD again.
I was determined to avoid a recurrence of the "not being able to face playing certain albums" scenario.

Princess Honeydew's non appearance was not in the least bit surprising, so I wouldn't pay much attention to all the attendance threats in future.
To be truthful, Audio Talk has been a series of repeated train wrecks since the Princess turned up again, so I rarely bother looking over there any more.
I log in to see if there are any PMs waiting for me, then clear off again.
Toxic barely describes it.

Firebottle
08-07-2017, 20:10
Good to put a face to the name at Cranage Chis. :)

Princess seems to cover it well, he certainly acts like a ****.

Stratmangler
08-07-2017, 20:12
Good to put a face to the name at Cranage Chis. :)

Princess seems to cover it well, he certainly acts like a ****.

Good to meet you too Alan :)

Stratmangler
08-07-2017, 20:21
There's another phono bake off being proposed http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6961

Marco
08-07-2017, 21:07
Princess Honeydew's non appearance was not in the least bit surprising, so I wouldn't pay much attention to all the attendance threats in future.

Spot on, Chris.

It's hilarious - there's always some bollox (lame) excuse for his non-appearance, once the date of the proposed bake-off nears! :lol:

The truth is, he's a total coward/keyboard warrior, so despite his bluster to the contrary (designed simply to try and spoil things for everyone), knows that he's hated by all who'll be there [for very justifiable reasons], and so wouldn't run the risk of attending and getting the punch in the mouth he so richly deserves for his deplorable online behaviour, on that festering scab on the Internet he calls his 'forum'.

Therefore, you can safely ignore any 'threats' of him making an appearance at any such bake-offs in future, especially if they're taking place miles from where he lives.

To be truthful, Audio Talk has been a series of repeated train wrecks since the Princess turned up again, so I rarely bother looking over there any more.
I log in to see if there are any PMs waiting for me, then clear off again.
Toxic barely describes it.

Indeed. Unfortunately, Nick thinks that allowing him to spout his mindless bile on AT is somehow a worthwhile exercise (stopping things from becoming boring and driving more traffic to the forum), when all it's doing is driving away the very folks who made it what it is (or rather was) before 'the Princess' arrived.

Therefore, the sooner Nick realises that RD is a poisonous, incurable nutter, the better - and hopefully before AT goes the way of the dodo, much like the WD forum from which it was spawned.

Marco.

Stratmangler
08-07-2017, 21:28
The Princess has been cyber bullied by the most friendly and congenial person I know, would you believe?
That's right, the victim card has been played as well.

The soap script writers couldn't come up with this kind of shit :eyebrows:

Marco
08-07-2017, 21:47
The Princess has been cyber bullied by the most friendly and congenial person I know, would you believe?

Yeah, DTB?

He's one of the most chilled out, totally non-aggressive/confrontational people I've ever met! The very notion of him being a 'cyber-bully' is ridiculous, and ably showcases how fatally divorced 'The Princess' is from any semblance of reality.

Anyway, we'll leave it there and move onto more positive things! :)

Marco.

Simon_LDT
08-07-2017, 22:28
The ''Princess''... :lol:

This is the first time I've seen how this guy behaves online. It's vile stuff to be blunt about it. His gear could be great but I'd personally never give it a look as I would not deal with someone who treats people that way, and then has the audacity to blame others and play the victim. Disgusting behaviour.

Marco
09-07-2017, 07:19
Now you have the measure of the man, Simon.

It's just classic Dunce delusion, the worst of which is him considering it's perfectly acceptable simply to 'cast aside' (in some cases) YEARS of personal insults and vilification from him towards many of the people who attend Owston (and other bake-offs, like NEBO), and for them just to 'forget' all that, as if it never happened, and tolerate his presence in the same room for a whole day, simply to allow him to demonstrate his equipment.... :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks they can behave towards people like that and then expect to be welcome at bake-offs, as if nothing has happened, clearly a) has no concept of human nature, b) is grossly deluded, and/or c) cares not a jot about anyone else other than themselves.

It ably shows how divorced Dicky-Dunce is from occupying the "reality" he thinks he inhabits and keeps harping on about. The truth is, he doesn't live in the real world, thus has no concept of reality :mental:

Well, the REALITY is that unless he unreservedly apologies (pigs will fly) to all those he's unjustifiably insulted and vilified on his 'forum', with impunity, and deletes the AoS hate thread on there, he'll not be welcome at any AoS-organised bake-off, especially if I'm there, because it would very likely end in tears.

*THAT* is why he's being stopped from attending the likes of NEBO, and because he'd spoil the whole day for everyone. Absolutely NOTHING to do with whether his gear 'wins' shoot-outs or not, or protecting the interests of "Fireybum", or anyone else, but you'll never get that through to his thick head.

Marco.

CageyH
09-07-2017, 07:56
According to princess cup-cake, I am a shill.
As such, I must apologise for my constant promotion of Firebottle products.

Wait a minute, that isn't correct.
Why let the truth get in the way of your own deluded reality.

Firebottle
09-07-2017, 08:21
...... the interests of "Fireybum"

:lolsign:

Apart from the name being a little insulting, I, and I'm sure everyone on this marvelous forum, can look after their own interests very well. But the thought is nice.

When I thought that 'Princess-pit' might be attending the bake off I determined to initially demand an apology for an earlier insult.
I think I must be getting delusional.

https://cdn.dribbble.com/users/901371/screenshots/2151330/pig.gif

Marco
09-07-2017, 09:29
Haha, quality... :D

The bottom line is that if you choose to sit and slag people off on your 'forum' for YEARS, like a cowardly keyboard warrior, sometimes in the most insulting and personal way (for whatever reasons you misguidedly think are justified), ultimately within the small circle of individuals that forms the UK hi-fi community, and in the process alienate yourself from them, then you cannot realistically expect to be welcomed, with open arms, by those same people at future organised social events!! :doh:

Only the most self-centred, blinkered loon would think differently....

Therefore, what you do is accept the consequences of your actions, stew in your own juice, and embrace the fact that no-one outside of your small band of arse-lickers wants to have anything whatsoever to do with you. In short, you reap what you sow, so learn to live with it.

Simples!!

Marco.