PDA

View Full Version : Sending a piece of Hi Fi from UK to France

bumpy
14-06-2017, 06:36
Can anyone recommend a way to send an amplifier through the post from UK to France. Who have you used?

Yomanze
14-06-2017, 07:28
How heavy is the unit?

Basically, it needs to be boxed with the assumption that it will be dropped from waist height, wrapping in huge amounts of bubble wrap & double boxing is what I usually do including making rolls of bubble wrap to tightly pad in the components.

If you can, use UPS, they're the best & carefully handle their packages, it's worth paying a bit more. Whenever I've shipped abroad I've used UPS with no issues, but have had some bad handling experiences from Parcelforce International when I've put things through the Post Office. EDIT: for domestic packages I do use Royal Mail, Special Delivery if possible.

Haselsh1
14-06-2017, 08:17
OK I have only rarely sent hi-fi to the continent but have sent a lot of photographic equipment. I always use the Post Office and get it sent tracked and signed for. It is seriously expensive though. I once sent Audiolab 8000M's and it cost around £68 to get them to Switzerland. Not at my expense of course. As has already been stated, pack them carefully and then pack them again.

struth
14-06-2017, 08:27
fedex. expensive but even if the plane crashes.....;)

lol, sorry, em yes Ive used UPS once for an abroad job to italy and it arrived unscathed.

CageyH
14-06-2017, 11:00
I have us d UPS going the other way.
If there is a collection point near the destination, it can be much cheaper to send.

hifi_dave
14-06-2017, 11:13
I have used many companies over the years but the best, in my experience, is UPS. Maybe a couple of Pounds more but they run like clockwork and the parcels are treated with care, usually placed on shelving rather than a heap to be climbed over.

Beobloke
14-06-2017, 11:51
As above - wrap it seriously well and double box it. If you wouldn't be prepared to hold it out straight and then drop it onto the floor without it surviving, then it's not yet well packed enough!

As to couriers, there are three choices in my experience:

(1) UPS
(2) TNT
(3) Load it into the car and drive it there yourself.

If you're tempted to use ParcelFarce, then I would smash the amplifier up, give it to a friend and tell them to hide it and never tell you where it is, then take £80 out of the bank and throw it away. This result is the same as using ParcelFarce, but it saves time.

TazSob
14-06-2017, 14:29
I used to sell spray guns and sent a few around Europe, used UPS too. I would do as others have recommended and bubble wrap the unit then on the outside box use plenty of that fragile tape

freefallrob
14-06-2017, 14:36
If you're tempted to use ParcelFarce, then I would smash the amplifier up, give it to a friend and tell them to hide it and never tell you where it is, then take £80 out of the bank and throw it away. This result is the same as using ParcelFarce, but it saves time.

lolz:lol:

UPS for me every time (bites finger nails!).

bumpy
14-06-2017, 14:39
The unit is in its original double skinned cardboard box, but I will put additional bubble wrap inside and brown paper, tape and string on the outside.

I went straight to UPS. Parcel 10Kg 60x46x24cm insured at £600. Herts to near Paris comes out about £33 for UPS standard delivery. Didn't seem too bad.

mikeyb
14-06-2017, 18:10
I sent a Rega RP3 Turntable to Finland in its original packing via UPS and arrived safely in under 72 hours.

paulf-2007
14-06-2017, 21:24
Can anyone recommend a way to send an amplifier through the post from UK to France. Who have you used?where in France

bumpy
15-06-2017, 06:12
where in France

Its going to Chatillon

paulf-2007
16-06-2017, 14:59
Its going to Chatillon
Wrong side of Paris or I could have helped. Paris is two hours from me

bumpy
18-06-2017, 11:02
Wrong side of Paris or I could have helped. Paris is two hours from me

Thanks for the kind thoughts Paul