Mike
02-05-2008, 20:40
In what way exactly, one wonders? :scratch:

Marco.

You would be killed and eaten! :trust:

jcbrum
02-05-2008, 21:13
[Post which was previously deleted]:

Heh Heh, the Black Country has hundreds of "black pudding" factories, they are always "looking for blood" , the rest is sausages and glue ;)

Marco
02-05-2008, 22:35
You obviously didn't know that admin can un-delete posts, heh heh... :eyebrows:

So, JC, what exactly do you mean by that?

Marco.

jcbrum
03-05-2008, 07:14

So, JC, what exactly do you mean by that?

Marco.

Well it was a follow on from Mike's post about you getting eaten. People have disappeared in "mysterious circumstances" in the Black Country.

http://www.wickedpublications.com/btss.html

Also I don't know what colour your skin is, or whether you eat only Halal food, and I had no wish to offend.

But overall, I deleted it because, when reading it, I thought it didn't add much to the thread, and now I'm certain.

Marco
03-05-2008, 09:10
Also I don't know what colour your skin is, or whether you eat only Halal food, and I had no wish to offend.

To answer your assertion: olive; and pasta, with some occasional mince & tatties, and leek soup, which I guess is befitting of a Scottish Italian living in Wales :flasher:

Incidentally, no offence, but I hate Birmingham. It's a total hell-hole. I'm sure where you live is fine but I hate the constant traffic jams on the M6, the bleak and depressing industrial landscape, and the grey, soulless, concrete jungle that is the city centre. Sorry!

Marco.

Filterlab
03-05-2008, 09:28

:lol:

Yes, we can get up to all sorts on here. :)

Filterlab
03-05-2008, 09:44
Incidentally, no offence, but I hate Birmingham. It's a total hell-hole. I'm sure where you live is fine but I hate the constant traffic jams on the M6, the bleak and depressing industrial landscape, and the grey, soulless, concrete jungle that is the city centre. Sorry!

I wish you'd just say what you mean mate!

I'm not really a fan of Birmingham myself to be honest. My Dad lived there for a couple of years whilst he was growing up and has fond memories of it, however he returned to the shop he lived above recently just to take a photo to add it to his family tree thing and he didn't even want to get out of the car, said the street reminded him of the kind of street one would see on the news about the middle east.

It upset him quite a lot as he remembers playing out on the street, clean pavements, well kept houses and nice folk. He said that the street now is a graffiti ridden, boarded up mess with hoards of Indian youths hanging about.

I'm not sure what area he lived in but I can definitely say he won't be going back.

Personally I've not really been into Birmingham many times, but I'm sure like everywhere it has some really nice areas, but what the ratio is of good to bad I couldn't say.

I have to admit that I really like Surrey, and aside from the Cambridge estate in Kingston (which comparatively is actually not too bad - it's the estate they use for the Larkmead estate in The Bill) Surrey is a very pleasant area, plenty of jobs means that crime is quite low and everywhere is tidy. Unfortunately there's always a down side and it has to be the aggressive nature of people which is almost directly related to the sheer population all trying to get to / from work at the same time. However at the weekends it's really nice!

Like any county cladding London it is unbelievably expensive to live, but then again the wages are very high to reflect this. I'd like to move back out to the countryside later in life, but right now the buzz of work and a high speed life is holding me here for a while yet. :)

jcbrum
03-05-2008, 10:45
To answer your assertion: olive; and pasta, with some occasional mince & tatties, and leek soup, which I guess is befitting of a Scottish Italian living in Wales :flasher:

Marco.

Please don't apologise, no Brummies would take any notice anyway, ever since Edward I showed the way, they keep the Welsh penned in. Your problem is you're a Catholic in the land of the Gaelic Druid.

And England owns Scotland anyway, - you went bust trying to invade America, and we bought Scotland to pay off the debts :)

Marco
03-05-2008, 10:47
Hahahaha... :lol:

Marco.

Mike
03-05-2008, 11:11
JC would know..... He was there!!! :lolsign:

Filterlab
03-05-2008, 11:21
:lol:

Marco
03-05-2008, 11:28
Come on lads, he's only 61 years young!

Marco.

jcbrum
03-05-2008, 11:42
Old enough to have sung 'God Save the King' in school. (and I don't mean Elvis) :)

jcbrum
03-05-2008, 11:44
and to stand to attention when the National Anthem played at the end of a film in the cinema :smoking:

Filterlab
03-05-2008, 11:45
and to stand to attention when the National Anthem played at the end of a film in the cinema :smoking:

LOL!

I vaguely remember BBC 1 closing down every night, but that was when I was quite young. :)

jcbrum
03-05-2008, 11:45
What's happened to Mick Parry ? he should know about this stuff, he's much older than me :)

Marco
03-05-2008, 11:46
What a nightmare! I have no time for the Royal family whatsoever. They're a waste of space in modern society, especially the titled chinless wonders who get millions of pounds for doing f*ck all :steam:

Sorry, Mick, old chap, if you're reading this!

Marco.

Filterlab
03-05-2008, 11:49
Is Mick a member of the Royal Family then?

:confused:

:)

Marco
03-05-2008, 12:03
I guess you don't know Mick Parry who's recently joined us, mate. He's a bit of a Royalist, and he loves Maggie T!

Marco.

Filterlab
03-05-2008, 12:04
Well I'm with him on the latter, but I stand with you on the former.

Marco
03-05-2008, 12:29
LOL. No worries. I hate politics with a passion as it bores the pants off me, so I don't really do political discussions. Steve will tell you this. I never vote, either :)

Basically I've built my own little 'island' so I'm relatively immune from the policies of the various parties.

Marco.

Filterlab
03-05-2008, 12:40
Politics is a personal thing, everyone is entitled to either subscribe to an ideal political stance as much as one is entitled to ignore the whole damn thing. That's the excellent thing about a democracy. :)

Chris Frost
03-05-2008, 13:02
I hate politics with a passion as it bores the pants off me, so I don't really do political discussions. Steve will tell you this. I never vote, either :)

Basically I've built my own little 'island' so I'm relatively immune from the policies of the various parties.I can't believe someone as intelligent as you has just written than. :doh:

Politics is everywhere and in everything. You can certainly ignore it; but you can't be immune or escape from it.

We're getting fairly OT from the thread topic. Perhaps something for Abstract Chat? :) You'll be able to ignore it all you want there, Marco ;)

Marco
03-05-2008, 13:41
LOL. Sure, Chris. You can start the ball rolling if you wish. But with respect, you don't know anything about my personal circumstances or how I live my life :)

You'd be surprised how self-sufficient you can be when 95% of what others worry about doesn't apply to you ;)

Marco.

Iain Sinclair
03-05-2008, 15:20
You'd be surprised how self-sufficient you can be when 95% of what others worry about doesn't apply to you ;)

What do others worry about? My own personal worries can be summed up as
1) serious illness, injury to or death of self
2) serious illness, injury to or death of loved one.

I don't worry much about owt else really. Well, I have a niggling concern that one or more valves in my power amp are going to need replacing soon, and I'm a bit vague about biasing and such. But that's about it.

Marco
03-05-2008, 15:59
LOL, Iain. I'm talking about things like mortgages (I don't have any as we're fortunate to own our house outright, and others which we rent out), child-related political issues (I don't have any kids) and other such concerns which people may have :)

With regard to my mortgage situation, I'm not 'showing off', or anything, - I've had to work bloody hard to get where I am now, but this and other aspects of my personal circumstances make me largely immune to (and certainly disinterested) in the majority of the decisions made by the government, hence why I don't really care who's in charge. I simply 'go with the flow' and never get worked up or passionate about political matters the way many people (quite naturally and justifiably) do. It's all 'much of a much-ness' to me.

Marco.

Chris Frost
03-05-2008, 16:37
Marco, if you can avoid breathing, eating, drinking, using energy and anything else more complex then you can successfully dodge politics. God help you if you drive. :lol:

Filterlab
03-05-2008, 16:40
Is breathing political then? :lol:

Chris Frost
03-05-2008, 17:23
Yep - air pollution - politics. It's everywhere. :)

Iain Sinclair
03-05-2008, 18:35
I have got through (just!) the expensive bit of educating my children and financially things are OK, though I lost several nights' sleep a few years back when my wife lost her job and we struggled to make ends meet.

I think it's a lot to do with whether you're a worrier by nature or not. For example, in the 1980s there was a lot of paranoia around about the possibility of a nuclear holocaust, and some people got seriously worried about that. For me, that's too big an issue to worry about; if it happens, it happens, and unless you're some sort of survivalist expert the chances are you're not going to survive it.

As another example, some people believe everything they read in the Daily Mail and similar trashy papers about how a certain foodstuff will give you cancer (only to tell you next week it'll actually prevent cancer). I can only imagine such people enjoy worrying!

As my mother used to say 'you die if you worry, you die if you don't, so why worry?'

Marco
03-05-2008, 18:45
Marco, if you can avoid breathing, eating, drinking, using energy and anything else more complex then you can successfully dodge politics. God help you if you drive. :lol:

LOL, Chris. I just go with the flow and deal accordingly with whatever I need to deal with, and worry not about what doesn't affect or concern me.

Fortunately we have no debts of any nature and my wife and I have a very good joint income between us from a variety of sources; furthermore we have made provisions for the future, too, so all-in-all we can pretty much 'ride any storm' thrown at us.

Yes both of us drive, and our cars are bought and paid for. I have a flexible lease agreement for the use of an 'executive class' car, which I use occasionally for business when I have to drive long distances to meet clients but that's only rarely necessary now. I don't even look at the how much fuel costs - I just fill up the tank and drive until it runs out, then fill it up again... Of course I would like it to be cheaper, but hey ho, it is what it is. I don't get worked up about it. Life's too short :smoking:

Therefore as far as politics is concerned I couldn't give a monkey's what party is in power. The fact is the difference it would likely make to my lifestyle is minimal :)

Marco.

P.S Good post, Iain. I am (thankfully) not a worrier. I've never been like that. I'm an extremely positive-minded and confident person. I sympathise with those who are not, though.

Iain Sinclair
03-05-2008, 18:53
P.S Good post, Ian. I am (thankfully) not a worrier. I've never been like that. I'm an extremely positive-minded and confident person. I sympathise with those who are not, though.

As Dr Johnson eloquently put it:

'How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure!
Still to ourselves, in every place consigned,
Our own felicity we make or find.'

Filterlab
03-05-2008, 18:54
...As my mother used to say 'you die if you worry, you die if you don't, so why worry?'

My gran used to say exactly the same thing, and now I try to worry as little as possible about everything.

Money (or rather a lack of it) is something that I worry about a lot. I needn't, but I don't want to be hard up again.

Marco
03-05-2008, 18:56
Yep, and on that note, chaps, this thread has gone WAY WAY off topic. I'll sort it out later when (or if) I've sobered up, as I'm currently enjoying a glass or three of some nice wine :cheers:

Marco.

Iain Sinclair
03-05-2008, 19:01
My gran used to say exactly the same thing, and now I try to worry as little as possible about everything.

Money (or rather a lack of it) is something that I worry about a lot. I needn't, but I don't want to be hard up again.

I did my money-worrying bit about 5 years ago; I recall lying awake doing sums in my head trying to estimate whether we'd exceed the overdraft limit before the next month's salary arrived. Daft really, in retrospect. I should either have got an evening job or had a few more ales before bedtime.

I don't especially want to be poor, but actually as a single bloke I was quite happy living on the dole with almost no possessions. There can be something quite liberating about owning less 'stuff'.