PDA

View Full Version : Got Myself A Brand New Toy: Sony WM-D6C Pro-Walkman

Beechwoods
20-01-2010, 21:45
One thing that I've wanted for a long time is a Sony Pro-Walkman. In fact I've wanted one since about 1984 when my dad bought a Sony catalogue home, around the time he bought a Beta Hi-Fi VCR (which I now have :)) The price at the time way way out of my reach (£200 something). To rub salt into the wounds my brother bought one in the early 90's. He used it a lot for recording his own music (he played in a band) and the results were phenomenal whether from well-positioned mics or line-input. His was stolen after something like 10 years use. I was gutted 'cos I'd had my eye on it for a loonng time...

Last week I finally found myself a low-hours machine at a good price and it arrived today. New batteries and a quick clean of the pinch-rollers, and head... part of the standard ritual... and tried a tape. Firstly, a Maxell XL-II transfer of the Division Bell CD I did 15 years ago. Very nice. Utter clarity at the top end. Nil perceptible wow and flutter... Then, a vinyl transfer of Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings from a TDK D90 that a friend did probably around 1989. It's a clean transfer, but to basic tape. Nevertheless the sound is completely clear; there's an openness at the top that only good tape playback achieves.

My Nak has a smidge more at the very top-end, and greater depth at the bottom, but that's to be expected. The fact is that the WM-D6 is well worthy of the accolades; and sounds a lot better than a lot of separate cassette decks I've heard. I think I might be finding excuses to listen to a lot of my old tapes again over the next few weeks!

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods/IMG_3004_s.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods/IMG_3007_s.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods/IMG_3008_s.jpg

http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-d6c

Labarum
20-01-2010, 22:11
I had one of those for 20 years. I was my only tape machine. I sold it on eBay about 4 years ago. I still have the headphones it came with. Quite a remarkable box.

DSJR
20-01-2010, 22:19
On the mains, it's a good small version of Nakamichi's cheaper two head decks of the era (I compared the bloody things enough), but on batteries it's a fluttery disaster (experience over a good few samples too).

Try recording an oboe piece at the beginning of a tape using batteries to hear what I mean...

They don't take shedloads of thrashing either, those tiny parts aren't as durable as a full size machine IMO.

A vintage product to be cherished as a piece of history. Enjoy it as such :)

The Vinyl Adventure
20-01-2010, 22:19
A chap came in the shop the other week with 4 of the things trying to get a new leather case for one of them... Or at least that's what he said I think it was just an excuse to show them off ...

Jason P
20-01-2010, 22:21
I've got one kicking around somewhere. I actually used to go out with it :mental: but it sounded great. I've also got the Michelle Shocked album (Texas Campfire Tapes IIRC) which was, I believe, recorded on one.

Great bit of kit. What (if it isn't a rude question) are they fetching nowadays?

Jason

Beechwoods
20-01-2010, 22:21
The walkmancentral link takes you to an interesting little write up, and their comment about the board redesign in later years is interesting. It is incredible how they were able to cram so much 'stuff' into such a small form factor, using predominantly discrete components. The thing still stands up today as a great example of cassette 'done well'. It's main disadvantage, IMO is the lack of a dual-capstan which is so important to really excellent tape transport, allowing the deck to compensate better for poor tape shells.

You're right, Jason, that Michelle Shocked's first album was recorded on one. She disowned the recording though, because it was released without her consent, and as the batteries ran down, the recording speed slowed. But despite her view, it is still a remarkable recording.

Mine cost me £70. That is on the slightly low side; recent eBay sales have finished anywhere between £75 and £150, and there's one chancer with a NOS boxed example for £320 :lol:

Marco
20-01-2010, 23:06
Nice one, Nick. The Walkman Pro, in my experience, is WAY better (in terms of sound quality) than any bloody iPod!!

Enjoy yer new toy, dude :respect:

Marco.

Themis
21-01-2010, 16:41
The Walkman Pro, in my experience, is WAY better (in terms of sound quality) than any bloody iPod!!
That's because you haven't listened to my iPod !!! :eyebrows:

DSJR
21-01-2010, 17:38
And probably not with decent headphones either, unless you're immune to wow & flutter and hiss of course - he's been listening to his Tannoys too loud with a clipping low powered amp and damaged his ears, that's what it is... :lolsign: :eek: :ner: :cool:

Beechwoods
21-01-2010, 19:22
I don't hear discernible wow and flutter when I listen to my tapes. I will definitely have to seek out some decent solo oboe to really be sure though!

chris@panteg
22-01-2010, 00:24
Nice bit of kit

I still have the Sports walkman ' (1985) still working perfectly ' i love it

Haselsh1
22-01-2010, 09:26
A stunning piece of history. I bet it is miles better than a dodgy iPod playing even dodgier MP3 files...!

Themis
22-01-2010, 18:51
This can be indeed true, if you consider a well-recorded cassette (not a cassette recorded on a "dodgy" recorder).
Nevertheless, no serious listener plays "dodgy" MP3 files on iPods. I don't play MP3 at all on my iPod, in fact. ;)

Alex_UK
22-01-2010, 20:27
I must admit, I do wonder how many of the detractors have spent a reasonable amount of time with an ipod classic, decent headphones and high quality lossless files (not to mention a dock cable and external headphone amp if not on the move) - some of my best listening is done like this when away or at work. No idea how it would compare to Nick's new Walkman, but it would knock my old Aiwa personal cassette player into a cocked hat...

Beechwoods
22-01-2010, 20:36
I have to admit that an iPod playing lossless files is a quite different beast to one playing compressed MP3's. But I also have to say that this little thing is in a completely different league to your average Walkman, and to be fair, more than comparable with lossless files on a portable. The headphone amp in the SOny Pro is capable of driving pretty much any pair of headphones without external amplification, and it really is a pleasure to listen to. I'm not pretending you don't get a bit of analogue hiss, most noticeable between tracks, but this machine could easily plug into your Hi-Fi and be your main cassette source. I'll have to bring it along to Scalford!

Themis
22-01-2010, 20:49
I want to be clear: This is one of the top (THE top ?) of Walkmans - full point.
You have to compare it with other portable (recordable media) material of the time it was made (and even 20 years later) : there is hardly something better, if I remember properly.

It is not because *today* (25-30 years later !) we can find better, that it changes any of its qualities.
And I don't take into account the emotionnal factor of owing a well-engineered bit : this value cannot be measured ! ;)

Alex_UK
22-01-2010, 20:57
In a kind of twisted way, I guess file types could be compared to tape types - if you compare a Woolies own-brand ferric with a top TDK Chrome (crude examples, but I ain't no tape expert!) then the results will be very different - exactly like using low quality mp3 as opposed to a lossless format.

I'm not for one minute saying your Walkman doesn't sound great, I'm just trying to make the point that it will depend just like a ipod on what you feed it.

Beechwoods
22-01-2010, 21:08
You're right, but you would be shocked at how good home recorded D90's sound on it - always the test of a really good tape player IMO. Lots of decks depend upon high-end tape to get the best from them - but the best designed machines make even basic tapes sound good.

Themis
22-01-2010, 21:11
You're right, but you would be shocked at how good home recorded D90's sound on it - always the test of a really good tape player IMO. Lots of decks depend upon high-end tape to get the best from them - but the best designed machines make even basic tapes sound good.
I never had a Walkman, but I do believe you, knowing how "fussy" you are with tapes. ;)

Beechwoods
22-01-2010, 21:13
Moi?!

Themis
22-01-2010, 21:19
Je vois personne d'autre ici ! :lol:

Beechwoods
22-01-2010, 21:23
:lol: Maintenant je suis la personne utilisant la traduction de Google!

Themis
22-01-2010, 21:52
I'm sorry, I thought you could understand... I didn't mean to sound complicated. :)

Beechwoods
22-01-2010, 21:56
:lol: no apology needed. Sometimes we Anglophones need keeping on our toes! ;)

gadgie
27-09-2015, 10:50
Old thread I know. But I just found one of these in a box of bits and bobs. Any idea if they are worth anything these days?

Macca
27-09-2015, 11:11
Last one on eBay went for £200

tommy6206
27-09-2015, 15:01
nice on. I recently rescued a Sony TC-D5M from the recycle shop bin.It was soaking wet covered in rain but knew it was something special so grabbed it.After stripping it down finding the fault its now working fantastic and sound great with such a small speaker and even better with headphones.

Eagle owl
02-10-2015, 10:32
I still have a Pro Walkman WM-D6C which I bought new, I must find it and see whether it still works.

keiron99
02-10-2015, 11:10
I had one of these back in the day. Still remember the day I bought it - it cost a small fortune (actually, a large fortune). But what a wonderful piece of kit. Even though I know i'd never use it, I still wish I'd never sold it.

I also had the Sony DZ 555 Discman. Wish I'd never sold that either.

Sony were a fantastic company back in those days.