PDA

View Full Version : 4K blu ray player - worth the jump?

Phil Lawton
05-06-2017, 08:00
I took delivery of a new 4K TV yesterday and spent the rest of the day in awe at its abilities, not least of which was its upscaling prowess when playing standard blu ray discs.

It left me wondering if I should proceed with my plan in the near future to buy a 4k blu ray machine; is the leap from blu ray to 4k blu ray worth the investment?

Any advice, anyone?

Yiangos
09-06-2017, 04:55
Hi Phil

The simple answer is "yes" ! I bought a oppo udp-203 and couldn't believe my eyes the improvement it made not only on blu-rays but on dvds as well.

Eagle owl
13-06-2017, 21:57
In April I bought a Panasonic TX-65DX902B TV and in May I bought a Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player.
Picture quality with upscaled Blu-ray films is excellent and with UHD HDR Blu-ray films is stunning with the right films. UHD Blu-ray films need to be researched to find the ones with the best picture quality.

I've also upgraded my Netflix plan/subscription to UHD, the picture quality of Netflix UHD content isn't as good as UHD Blu-ray but it's pretty good.

Amazon and HMV currently have a few UHD Blu-ray films on offer at two for £30.00

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=12925914031

http://store.hmv.com/search-results?searchtext=uhd+2+for+30

Phil Lawton
16-06-2017, 12:36
Thanks, chaps.

I've earmarked a few models to have a gander's at and will probably snaffle one the next time Richer Sounds have a rush of blood to the head.

I upgraded my Netflix to their 4K service on the day the TV arrived. Stunning quality.

Thanks again.

struth
16-06-2017, 14:11
Oddly I just ordered a Sony 4K upscale version. Thought it was good enough for my TVs good price too

al b back
16-06-2017, 14:59
always used oppo.do constant updates and the machines are like tanks.ive got a 105 and a 205,also 83se with updated board and customer service is second to none

cheers

alan

struth
16-06-2017, 15:34
always used oppo.do constant updates and the machines are like tanks.ive got a 105 and a 205,also 83se with updated board and customer service is second to none

cheers

alan

Would love one but I'm poor lol. Got oppo headphones and they are hreat

struth
18-06-2017, 18:36
Got my Father's Day pressie. Sony blue ray upscale 4K. Don't have 4K tv yet but nice to know it's there. Got wifi and apps too so a useful bit of kit. Good pic too. Better than last one

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170618/d64716fba235068bc6ff99be59ebdbf6.jpg

struth
19-06-2017, 10:05
an update... the damn thing packed up near end of a dvd... started jittering etc and not keen on giving up disc after. On its way back to Amazon .... so beware sony bluray build quality. Picture was superb but no use if it cant manage a single dvd without breaking down.

walpurgis
19-06-2017, 10:18
Not good. Glad you packed it off back to them Grant. Where was it made, Taiwan, Singapore, China?

struth
19-06-2017, 10:21
Malaysia

walpurgis
19-06-2017, 10:31
Not surprised.

struth
19-06-2017, 18:42
Amazon have already refunded me Good service

walpurgis
19-06-2017, 19:11
Blimey. That was quick!

struth
19-06-2017, 19:19
I'm a good customer I guess. Decided against a replacement. Will leave it til later

09mike69
11-07-2017, 20:40
i was toying with the idea of getting the xbox 1 s for 4k blu ray but then heard/read that the new xbox 1 x will play "native" 4k blu ray, so im assuming the 1 s isnt a true 4k player, so its a bit confusing, then i heard that bbc is goin to broadcast in 4k but the tv has to be compatible with high log gamma, so im even more confused.

Minstrel SE
11-01-2018, 18:11
I was reading that all these disc players are going to become a more niche technology in the face of streaming.

I am looking for a Blu ray player now and have to decide if I want a 4K player. As a General overview it seems that I have to spend out £500+ to get away from the cheap plastic build quality.

Im well behind thinking of Blu rays and I wont be buying many Blu rays so maybe its time to ensure I go full 4K. My next telly will be 4K so I had better get a player with at least 4K upscaling. Maybe an Xbox One X will start me off but I dont like slot loading

So you may see my point for a skinflint like me. Beeb arent broadcasting in 4K and 4K movies are pricey. Ive been happy enough well behind the times....or have I? :)

struth
11-01-2018, 18:15
oppo;)

Minstrel SE
11-01-2018, 20:24
Yes the Oppo 203 looks like a nice piece of kit.

Pharos
11-01-2018, 23:19
This discussion raises the predicament which my stance places me in, and you may think that I am an old cantankerous fart, or stick in the mud.

I think that so much TV is utter crap that I cannot find anything worth wasting the time on and think on the whole it is designed for people who are so knackered after their arduous days, that they use it inattentively as a sedative/palliative for relaxation.

I am also pessimistic about current music O/P which to me hardly merits the description 'Art'. Given this disposition I can hardly see a point in wanting to improve the quality of the vehicle for its reception, though I have a very fine music system after years of striving.

TV is only minimally available in HD ATM, and though initially exciting as improved resolution tends to provoke, seeing facial flaws, eg spots and blemishes, hardly really affects the understanding of the content of the programme material.

With poor material, lacking any subtlety, what is the point in increasing the quality of the medium itself unless you want to evaluate the poor standards produced by the organisations?

To put it another way, if we are going to consume poison, does it matter whether the spoon is clean, or what it is made from?

struth
11-01-2018, 23:28
Except tv is rarely watched on a bluray player

Marco
12-01-2018, 07:54
Beeb arent broadcasting in 4K...

You must've missed Blue Planet II, then Martin: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42225220

It's utterly stunning! :)

As for Blu-ray players, yes you should get one, as there are some great films about, even in standard HD, many at bargain prices now in the sales. I even picked up some 4K ones in HMV for £20, such as Alien Resurrection, and the quality is superb - either will make standard DVDs look like VERY poor relations!

I use this Sony player, which comes in at well under your budget: https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-21759-sony-ubp-x800-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl7K69fTR2AIV15EbCh2G VACtEAQYASABEgKkGPD_BwE

Yes it's plastic (although well screwed together and solid enough), but unless you're planning on having it out on show, then that's not an issue. Even then, it's not exactly an ugly duckling. Mine sits next to my Sky box, which is also plastic, inside a wooden cabinet, and just blends into the room. It's just another box, at the end of the day, designed to perform a specific task.

And that task is performed to a very high standard, producing superb picture and sound quality, used in conjunction with my Sony multi-channel amp and 4K TV. It also sounds pretty decent as a CD player. Highly recommended, as a 'dip your toe in the water' option that will open up the world of 4K Blu-rays for you, from which you can decide if it's necessary to spend any more or not :cool:

Marco.

Gazjam
12-01-2018, 07:57
This discussion raises the predicament which my stance places me in, and you may think that I am an old cantankerous fart, or stick in the mud.

I think that so much TV is utter crap that I cannot find anything worth wasting the time on and think on the whole it is designed for people who are so knackered after their arduous days, that they use it inattentively as a sedative/palliative for relaxation.

I am also pessimistic about current music O/P which to me hardly merits the description 'Art'. Given this disposition I can hardly see a point in wanting to improve the quality of the vehicle for its reception, though I have a very fine music system after years of striving.

TV is only minimally available in HD ATM, and though initially exciting as improved resolution tends to provoke, seeing facial flaws, eg spots and blemishes, hardly really affects the understanding of the content of the programme material.

With poor material, lacking any subtlety, what is the point in increasing the quality of the medium itself unless you want to evaluate the poor standards produced by the organisations?

To put it another way, if we are going to consume poison, does it matter whether the spoon is clean, or what it is made from?

Some good points Dennis, you cantankerous old fart. :)

I dont watch broadcast telly anymore, purely because theres no need and switching channels between cooking shows, reality tv and other crap isn’t worth my time.
With the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime and the like you pick and choose what your content is - great.
A TV licence is expensive and (frankly) a rip-off given what you get...some would even argue its a scam.

A Netflix/Amazon subscription is cheaper than a TV licence and gives value for money.
The BBC makes its own content...fine, but so does Netflix (Black Mirror, Mindhunter, American Horror Story, Breaking Bad, New Star Trek..a ton of other TV boxsets from around the world (not to mention literally thousands of ever changing movies) I know which is far better.
Get your telly viewing connected to the internet and you’ll never look back. Seriously.
So much fantastic free stuff out there on Youtube, complete movies, documentries you name it. Lots of 4K content too..for free.
Starting point in an Amazon Fire stick if your telly doesnt have smart apps built in.

Does 4K make less than perfect source material actually worse and less enjoyable to watch?
Not at all...Why would it?

I hear you on improved resolution making the ‘warts n all’ of older/ less polished productions more obvious, but if someone watches something and only sees that and not the story, setting, characters etc then Each to their own, but doesnt that, like, take the joy out of the experience?
In music terms is that a bit like watching a live gig and not enjoying it because it doesn’t sound hifi enough?
Missing the point imo.

For myself, I have a Nvidia Shield android TV box passing Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc into my Oppo and onto the big screen, upscsaled to 4K with audio fed to my Dac.
Everything is upscaled to 4K and the experience is tremendous, even on old stuff.
Watched a few old episodes of Space 1999 and sure, you can see the flaws in the sets n stuff...the modelwork is hillarious in 4k on a big screen but its an absolute treat.

Know what it reminded me of?
Watching a theatre play, could see the sets weren’t great and costumes were iffy, but that increased feeling of grit and realism actually added to the experience.
I enjoyed it more.

But hey, Im one of those who can listen to my favourite band in the car and not enjoy the music any less. :)

Gazjam
12-01-2018, 07:59
Good player that Sony :thumbsup:

Marco
12-01-2018, 08:33
It's very high in the 'SPPV' (and Picture-per-Value) stakes, Gaz, and ideal for folks just getting into 4K Blu-ray :)

Marco.

Gazjam
12-01-2018, 08:44
It's very high in the 'SPPV' (and Picture-per-Value) stakes, Gaz, and ideal for folks just getting into 4K Blu-ray :)

Marco.

Totally mate. :thumbsup:

Pharos
12-01-2018, 09:54
Gaz, I am in the process of working out the best reforming my TV equipment, I made a mistake a couple of years ago buying a mid market Panasonic Freeview set and a keyboard and mouse which do not really work at all well with the internet facility.

After refurbishing my lounge and reinstating the Hi-Fi with new improved stuff, I will re-address this and formulate a new and effective TV/internet/streaming system, but the numerousness and maze of possibilities is confusing to me, and I need to thoroughly research the whole thing and get it right this time.

Gazjam
12-01-2018, 13:08
Dennis,
yeah...no point throwing good money after bad, best to get it right.
Decide what you want, dont want and buy the best gear in that field you can afford.

Keywords:
Netflix, 4K, Kodi, Roon, Oppo. :)

Do you want to go surround sound for instance, or just 2 channel...kinda thing.

Gaz, I am in the process of working out the best reforming my TV equipment, I made a mistake a couple of years ago buying a mid market Panasonic Freeview set and a keyboard and mouse which do not really work at all well with the internet facility.

After refurbishing my lounge and reinstating the Hi-Fi with new improved stuff, I will re-address this and formulate a new and effective TV/internet/streaming system, but the numerousness and maze of possibilities is confusing to me, and I need to thoroughly research the whole thing and get it right this time.

Pharos
14-01-2018, 00:01
But the range of possibilities is enormous Gaz, and so often I see posts on forums saying that they have to buy yet another 'interfacing' bit of kit to make things work.

This is funny from members of another forum where they all espouse the use of active speakers to eliminate all the 'old legacy' Hi-Fi complications, dusty rack full of gear, and then they have numerous little bits of cheap digital signal gear to make things work.

I'm looking at Panasonic Sat TV, Mac mini, with remote keyboard - I don't want a HDMI lead across the lounge to the system which I have to plug and unplug every time I want to use it, and I have an Arcam irDAC