PDA

View Full Version : My new Techie Sl 1200

Tarzan
20-01-2010, 20:39
Hi all, having had to sell my AVID Volvere, and buying the Techie ( l had to try 3 different dealers) l got one which arrived on Monday, l set it up with stock Technics headshell and Stanton 520 cartridge, straight away the sound was better than the old Techie SL1200 MK2 l was using, and was really impressed with the sound, set- up was a breeze even for me, l sat down and listened to some sounds- very nice sound, next day a knock on the door, delivery driver hands me a box the size of 8 or nine LP covers, inside is a Stanton 681 EEE Cartridge- you could say the packaging would withstand a bomb blast! Anyhoo an hour later l recieve the Sumiko headshell from the postie, very nice looking piece of kit so set-up began, using the Technics overhang gauge and away we went-sound quality went up quite a few notches, smooth, warm and very very musical, jesus this is a good sound, l am shocked you can get this sort of sound for the money paid out, this combo for me is a absolute bargain, however there are a few questions l would like some advise with 1. Do l put oil in the bearing straight away or do l as instruction say every 2000 hrs, 2,l have the tracking weight at 1.5g though the cartridge instructions state 0.75-1.50( but as l am happy with the sound should l stick with this weight?) 3. l set the tonearm height, so the tail of the arm is roughly 1mm down from the headshell, is this ok? 4. The cartridge when viewed from the front seems just a fraction out of parallel from the headshell, but l cannot hear any distortion, mis tracking or indeed anything wrong with the sound at all-any thoughts on this? Finally l am glad l got hear about this forum because it was here that my interest started on DD and Technics in general:)Cheers!

Marco
20-01-2010, 20:51
Finally l am glad l got hear about this forum because it was here that my interest started on DD and Technics in generalCheers!

Comments like that make it all worthwhile... Enjoy, Andy :)

Vive le direct-drive revolution!!

Marco

DSJR
20-01-2010, 22:04
The older 681EEE's used to like 1.2 to 1.25 grammes (and I tested a fair few styli samples to confirm this). I do appreciate that three decades have passed since I last seriously used one, but I can vouch for the longevity of the stlus suspension as my neglected and loft-living 30+ yr old stylus went in the cheapo body I bought on ebay and sounded superb after a good needle scrub and tracking at 1.2g. You may just find the sound will open up a little at the slightly lower downforce - try and see :)

chris@panteg
20-01-2010, 23:16
Hi Andy

Geat to hear you are happy with your techie ' no need to oil the bearing just yet.

Tarzan
20-01-2010, 23:37
Thanks Chris, l did not think l had to- the supplied instuctions not too clear on this:).

chris@panteg
20-01-2010, 23:45
Its an amazing piece of kit though ' did you find yourself admiring the some of the serious engineering , i know i did ! .

Tarzan
21-01-2010, 20:17
Tracking force now set at 1.25g cart slightly re-aligned in headshell, a small jump in sound quality, now l am finding a hell of a lot of static when removing record, the Techie is in exactly the same place as the last one, do l need an after market mat as l cannot account for the static, any ideas? l am now going to listen to some sounds:).

REM
21-01-2010, 23:45
Hi Andy,

Try the Herbie's (Sound HiFi) mat, then the Isonoe feet, then the Timestep psu, then a better arm, then a New bearing, then.....

oh, yeah, welcome to the Techie T/T club, enjoy;)

DSJR
22-01-2010, 12:43
The Herbies style mat should eliminate the static hopefully... make sure the earthing arrangement is good and not just for hum reduction either...

Tarzan
22-01-2010, 19:20
Yes, l think l will try the Soundhifi mat, this will cure the static?:)

DSJR
22-01-2010, 21:24
Ask Dave Cawley, I think you'll be happy with the answer :)

chris@panteg
22-01-2010, 21:24
i use the Soundhifi mat ' no probs with static , great sounding mat too .