PDA

View Full Version : wanted...cheap and decent fully functioning pioneer pd-s cd player

smithie
27-05-2017, 22:43
hi everyone
as the title suggest,im after a decent pioneer pd-s stable platter cd player,i have a poorly pds 505 at the moment.
the latest and cheapest half decent player i can get if anyone has one kicking around would be nice...want to make this my last cd/transport upgrade...so decent and for peanuts is a must...any offers:)

regards
smithie

must be able to post...unless you live in penzance cornwall/in which case i can collect:)

smithie
29-05-2017, 00:28
ok after a bit more pondering and reading up ive decided theres two models of the pioneer stable platter cd players that in really interested in getting.
they are
pioneer pds802 or the pds901.
if anyone has a decent example of either that they want to sell then please get in touch.
i may also be interested in some basket cases/ spares or repairs of these two models if anyone has any...going cheap of course:)
cheers
smithie

Gordon Steadman
29-05-2017, 06:46
Ah.....I have a 901 and I miss it very much!!!!!

That is, it doesn't work. The lens came of the laser and I gave it to a Dutch friend/expert to fix, paid out for a new laser assembly and he messed up the installation. Alan (Firebottle) looked at it but it would need yet another laser I think and they ain't cheap.

However, it's free but.....it is in France and it's heavy!@! I now have a 7700 and whilst it sounds good, it just doesn't have the solid presentation of the 901. It is featherweight by comparison.

So if you can think of a way of getting it or are prepared to sort out a courier or risk the post then you are very welcome to it. I haven't been able to bear the thought of taking it to the dump.

smithie
29-05-2017, 09:31
hi gorden
WOW,i would certainly be very interested,and yes please,lusted after that model back in the day:stalks:....now i just need to sort the logistics and costs and see if its viable to get it to me here in sunny penzance....any and all help and ideas welcome:lol:
regards
paul

walpurgis
29-05-2017, 09:36
Just noticed you're in Penzance Paul. Nice place. When I'm there, I pop into the David Lay general auctions if they're on. Some good stuff crops up, including Hi-Fi.

smithie
29-05-2017, 10:38
hi geoff
ive lived down here around 16 years,the crazy thing is i walk past david lays most days when walking the dog....but ive never been to a auction:scratch:
the reason is simple,my dear old mum loves those things,and tends to get carried away if let loose....so ive restricted her to the odd car boot sale from time to time:lol:....trust me its for the best and im really not the olger i appear to be:eyebrows:
it certainly is a great place to be,more so in the winter when us locals pretty much have it all to ourselfs :D ,get some great weather then at times to.
regards
paul

walpurgis
29-05-2017, 10:46
it certainly is a great place to be,more so in the winter when us locals pretty much have it all to ourselfs :D ,get some great weather then at times to.
regards
paul

I know what you mean. I like Cornwall in winter. My brother is over by Manaccan on the Lizard and I'm there whenever I can be. It can be snowing in Truro, and dry and bright on the Lizard.

smithie
29-05-2017, 22:07
cool geoff,and lucky to have a brother down in these neck of the woods that you can come a visit as and when:cool: and your right about the weather,sometimes you can have what seems like all four seasons in one day driving around here:)
the hardest thing at times here is not to get to complacent and taking all this beauty for granted because its on your doorstep....my dog and camera and my old zuki jeep help keep me planted and grateful :lol:

regards
paul

smithie
29-05-2017, 22:08
hi gordon
just a quick heads up to let you know ive sent you a private message:)

regards
paul

Gordon Steadman
30-05-2017, 07:50
PM sent but here is pic to show condition and that it lights up!!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4202/34945173706_696e2f7c56_z.jpg

smithie
31-05-2017, 09:59
hi gordon
have tried sending you a private message,but i think your in box is full or something:)
regards
paul

hifinutt
01-06-2017, 13:29
http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Pioneer_Precision_PD_505S&p=cdplayer&prod_id=46608&offset=

smithie
01-06-2017, 15:30
many thanks for the link hifinutt.
im hoping to get the pds901 off gordon....although i may have scared him off with all my questions as his gone silent,or maybe his just got a life,unlike me:lol::lol:
so if im lucky enough to get hold of this then i may be looking out for a very cheap working pd 8700,9700,pds 801,901 to use as a donor for the laser:).
the prescion is a very nice player and toms mods done to them are great sound wise ,but its still a very low base model with a single dac and basic power supply,im after something with dual dacs and better more sophisticated power supply:D
once again thanks for the link.please keep any leads,links coming:popcorn:
regards
paul

hifinutt
01-06-2017, 18:22
hope you get sorted :)

msg1979
01-06-2017, 18:58
pds-901 = PD65 in european enclosure (no copper).
If last fails its typical because the lens has fallen off because of small moisture (the glue they used wasn't good)
U can glue it back

smithie
01-06-2017, 19:11
hi
thanks guys,and yes ive been reading up on the lens issue for the laser but appricate the heads up:smoking:
all the best
paul

crippsy
01-06-2017, 20:09
Hi Paul, Is a PD-S703 any use to you? Currently languishing in my workshop as I mainly listen to the wireless or steam via my phone.http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t649/critter90/IMG_4884_zpswx9fhoxs.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/critter90/media/IMG_4884_zpswx9fhoxs.jpg.html)

smithie
01-06-2017, 21:41
hi crippsy
thanks for the offer,unfortunately the laser in the 703 isnt the same type,plus its still a one regulator one dac design.
saying that its still a great player and think they make a great transport with a good dac.
out of intreast can i ask what your asking for it:D
all the best
paul

crippsy
01-06-2017, 21:50
£40 delivered.

smithie
01-06-2017, 22:05
ooooh,it doesnt fit into my master plan...but jesuuus thats so tempting,does it have a remote and play ok...can you really have to many cd players:D:lol:

walpurgis
01-06-2017, 22:09
They make a decent transport and any Pioneer CD remote will work it. Get one off ebay cheap if necessary.

crippsy
01-06-2017, 22:19
Bare unit, no remote or box etc. Out of interest, is it the same laser mech. used in my PD 505?

smithie
01-06-2017, 22:41
mmm,still tempting:D
regarding the pd505..i have one of them...the laser for that is PEA1291...models are 605 and 705,from what ive seen and read,as long as the last digit is the same through the range as ive just quoted then the laser should be the same,but as ours are quite late and near the end of the pds ranges life theres not so many to choose from.
saying that and just to confuse the issue and my statement i think the pd104,pd204 also share the same laser...and there older models...but please check and dont take it as gospel what ive put :lol:

regards
paul

Gordon Steadman
02-06-2017, 06:36
many thanks for the link hifinutt.
im hoping to get the pds901 off gordon....although i may have scared him off with all my questions as his gone silent,or maybe his just got a life,unlike me:lol::lol:
so if im lucky enough to get hold of this then i may be looking out for a very cheap working pd 8700,9700,pds 801,901 to use as a donor for the laser:).
the prescion is a very nice player and toms mods done to them are great sound wise ,but its still a very low base model with a single dac and basic power supply,im after something with dual dacs and better more sophisticated power supply:D
once again thanks for the link.please keep any leads,links coming:popcorn:
regards
paul

I haven't gone silent!! I sent you a PM with the dimensions and the weight!!!

smithie
02-06-2017, 09:10
hi gordon
i got that email thanks,ive tried replying,at first i thought i just cocked it up this end and hadn't sent them properly as i never heard back from you,and i always tend to have alittle wine flowing through these veins :lol::lol:
then i realised or rather noticed the message above in the message section stating that you have exceeded your inbox amount and the reason i cannot send my message,and thats still the case at the moment as i have tried again,i did try to let you know in a post somewhere in this thread.....i know,im bloody hard work aint i,bet your glad you got in touch now with your offer:):)

all the best
paul

Gordon Steadman
02-06-2017, 12:10
hi gordon
i got that email thanks,ive tried replying,at first i thought i just cocked it up this end and hadn't sent them properly as i never heard back from you,and i always tend to have alittle wine flowing through these veins :lol::lol:
then i realised or rather noticed the message above in the message section stating that you have exceeded your inbox amount and the reason i cannot send my message,and thats still the case at the moment as i have tried again,i did try to let you know in a post somewhere in this thread.....i know,im bloody hard work aint i,bet your glad you got in touch now with your offer:):)

all the best
paul
I've emptied the folders ....no excuse now!!

smithie
02-06-2017, 18:54
hehe
thanks gordon...ill send in a moment,many thanks.

Ninanina
02-06-2017, 19:02
http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Pioneer_Precision_PD_505S&p=cdplayer&prod_id=46608&offset=

Paul you really should consider this Pioneer Precision PD-S505 that Phil linked to

It is the Pioneer PD-S505 that has been 'breathed on' by Tom Evans. I have one and they really are very good indeed. I use mine as a transport only but they are very good indeed as a stand-alone cd. You won't buy a better cd player for the money

Geoff (walpurgis) also has experience of these superb players

walpurgis
02-06-2017, 19:05
Paul you really should consider this Pioneer Precision PDS-505 that Phil linked to

It is the Pioneer PDS-505 that has been 'breathed on' by Tom Evans. I have one and they really are very good indeed. I use mine as a transport only but they are very good indeed as a stand alone cd. You won't buy a better cd player for the money

Geoff (walpurgis) also has experience of these superb players

I have two. And they're going nowhere! :D

Ninanina
02-06-2017, 19:08
Two is just greedy Geoff :doh:

Though I agree they are very good indeed. I consider them a complete cd bargain. I would happily use mine as a stand-alone player if I didn't already have the AN Dac

walpurgis
02-06-2017, 19:17
I use a PD-S505 Precision as my main CD transport, even though I have a Trichord Digital Turntable transport and a Meridian 507 as well. I find the PD-S505 Precision just as musical. Mind you, having a damn good DAC helps! :)

Ninanina
02-06-2017, 19:26
I use a PD-S505 Precision as my main CD transport, even though I have a Trichord Digital Turntable transport and a Meridian 507 as well. I find the PD-S505 Precision just as musical. Mind you, having a damn good DAC helps! :)

I think the Precision was about £500 in 1998 so at £100 now is a complete bargain

Paul don't be confused at the very cheap prices for the 'standard' PD-S505 as the Tom Evans version (called the Precision) is a different beast entirely and is excellent in every way

smithie
02-06-2017, 19:41
guys
thanks for the heads up regarding the precision 505,and yes they are great,heard them many a time along with alot more other stuff that tom was playing and building with at the time,back in the day "dawg"(alan on this forum) and me use to go down to his place for him to tweak and mod the gear we had at the time,hell we use to go everywhere to meet the gurus in the day,had some good sessions at max townsends place to:lol:....great times:cool:
if i wanted a fit and forget cd player then yes that model would be high on my list,but i enjoy tweaking,modding and trying to repair to,and its always nice to bring a old classic back to life,plus i lusted after the 901 back in the day....so throw in fulfilment to:lol::lol:

regards
paul

Ninanina
02-06-2017, 19:45
Hi Paul
What was so special about the 901 player ?

smithie
02-06-2017, 20:29
hi ninanina
as far as i know and looking at the circuit diagram....theres nothing special with the 901,its all pretty standard pioneer fair.
theres no magic killer model hidden within these 90s legatolink pioneer pds range,its just some have mono dacs and more power regulation and slightly better build and caps on the board.
the main difference regarding the sound would be more to do with the different versions of the legato link filters,and plenty of people dont like that sound,just as some dont like nos,upsampling or whatever.
as ive said,for me its the challange of trying to get gordons up and running again...plus its free:lol:
will it sound any better then my tweaked iffy pds505?...who knows,and who cares....my squeezebox and teac dac wipe the floor with my cd replay already:)

regards
paul

smithie
02-06-2017, 20:37
out of intreast
have any of you guys that have the precision 505 got any good quality pictures of its inards?would love to see what tom settled on in the end regarding his mods:D
dont forget the precision 300r amp to....that was a good little number to for the ptice...all classics:cool:

regards
paul

Ninanina
02-06-2017, 22:02
Sorry Paul I can find no pictures of the 'inside' of the Precision 505

I can only say that it is a great cd player and/or transport

smithie
02-06-2017, 23:49
hey no worries,was just curious what he did to the player under pioneers contract compared to the mods he normally does when he has free rein:)

regards
paul

msg1979
03-06-2017, 10:29
Look at the 9700, its the 901 without the legato link. Maybe it has the "magic"?

The sound in 901 is good though

crippsy
03-06-2017, 17:32
Here you go Paul, as found inside my PD-505:http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t649/critter90/IMG_4886_zps3hwowcrc.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/critter90/media/IMG_4886_zps3hwowcrc.jpg.html)http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t649/critter90/345eae83-46b6-481f-9a57-d09407476d30_zps8gqemeyf.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/critter90/media/345eae83-46b6-481f-9a57-d09407476d30_zps8gqemeyf.jpg.html)http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t649/critter90/2e35e0ba-0b38-4c32-824a-34d723d79ad9_zpsdnqiij7p.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/critter90/media/2e35e0ba-0b38-4c32-824a-34d723d79ad9_zpsdnqiij7p.jpg.html)

smithie
03-06-2017, 20:54
Look at the 9700, its the 901 without the legato link. Maybe it has the "magic"?

The sound in 901 is good though

i like the sound of the legato link,so would be quite happy with 901,but the 9700 will be just as good i would of thought although ive never heard one,same machine pretty much except for the filter thing...would of thought the 9700 would be a more consistent sound from cd to cd as well if its a overall sound you like,the old legatos can be alittle more unpredictable sound wise from cd to cd...then again are not cds like that in there quality and sound anyway:D

regards
paul

walpurgis
03-06-2017, 20:56
The Legato Link gets some criticism, but I like its effect.

smithie
03-06-2017, 20:59
hi aaron
thanks for that....always wondered what tom got up to in one of these:)
regards
paul

smithie
03-06-2017, 21:09
The Legato Link gets some criticism, but I like its effect.
everything gets some criticism...its what poison works for you and makes you happy.......and im with you geoff,funny thing is i wasn't so impressed with them back in the day,strange how tastes change,or maybe i have a better system today to hear there worth better.

Lawrence001
03-06-2017, 21:22
So are the green boards the precision upgrades ie new clock and second transformer?

smithie
03-06-2017, 21:34
So are the green boards the precision upgrades ie new clock and second transformer?

hi lawrence
yes you are correct,along with a substitute opamp. quality of photos are not great to see what else his done....done a good job of mating the clock board direct to the standard clock position.

TazSob
03-06-2017, 23:44
This might be of interest to you Paul http://www.jackenhack.com/mods-and-upgrades-on-a-pioneer-pd-s-505-for-better-audio-quality-part-1/

Dawg
04-06-2017, 08:52
It looks like Tom might have implemented Grahams frequency divider mod too, a second clock that runs the Pioneer display circuits causes a measurable problem in these players, not well known, there's a pair of wires running that way. I did this on my 703 but I have lost about a million brain cells since then so I dont remember much, I cant remember if the second crystal was on the display pcb or if it was in the position where those cables run too, I wouldn't buy another one of these players if it hasnt been done, just couldn't sleep. LOL

smithie
04-06-2017, 09:56
It looks like Tom might have implemented Grahams frequency divider mod too, a second clock that runs the Pioneer display circuits causes a measurable problem in these players, not well known, there's a pair of wires running that way. I did this on my 703 but I have lost about a million brain cells since then so I dont remember much, I cant remember if the second crystal was on the display pcb or if it was in the position where those cables run too, I wouldn't buy another one of these players if it hasnt been done, just couldn't sleep. LOL

lol,wondered when you would chime in.
the picture quality isnt good enough to see if that mod has been done....i always remember you sleeping fine and snoring your head off whatever was happening dude:lol:

smithie
04-06-2017, 10:07
This might be of interest to you Paul http://www.jackenhack.com/mods-and-upgrades-on-a-pioneer-pd-s-505-for-better-audio-quality-part-1/

hi taz,thanks for the link,all pretty standard mods,shame he never seemed to take it further or update the pages....those gd clocks are great and well made by the way...cheap to,dont know if you can still get them.
regards
paul

smithie
04-06-2017, 10:09
must say...this for sale/wanted posting seems to have taken on a life and road of its own:lol::lol::lol:

Lawrence001
04-06-2017, 10:28
I use a HHB CDR 800 as a transport in my second system, its an upgraded Pioneer elite (copper chassis etc) and I have to say it is very nice.

Dawg
04-06-2017, 10:37
lol,wondered when you would chime in.
the picture quality isnt good enough to see if that mod has been done....i always remember you sleeping fine and snoring your head off whatever was happening dude:lol:

LOL, same here dude... 20468 (can of worms and glass house I know lol)
But you can just see that pair of wires and where they stop, should be able to see that area on your 505, if theres another crystal there then its deffo the divider or multiplier mod, not sure what frequency the display clock runs at.

smithie
04-06-2017, 12:51
LOL, same here dude... 20468 (can of worms and glass house I know lol)
But you can just see that pair of wires and where they stop, should be able to see that area on your 505, if theres another crystal there then its deffo the divider or multiplier mod, not sure what frequency the display clock runs at.

lol:lol::lol::lol:...that was a good weekend,well what i remember of it:D

smithie
15-06-2017, 09:53
hi all
i just wanted to say a BIG public thank you to gordon {gordon steadman}.
gordon let me have his poorly pioneer pd-s901 for free.helped in so many ways to get it over here to me to and also supplied some interesting fun banter along the way....a total gentleman and star:youtheman:
once again many thanks gordon,i shall do my best to get the beast up and running again,i can feel another wanted ad coming on to help fulfil that dream:)
once again all this proves how awesome this forum is along with the people that use it:cool::cool::cool::cool:

regards

paul