PDA

View Full Version : The Phantoms win it

Denney10
27-05-2017, 17:40
Spent a good few hours comparing the Devialet Phantoms against Kef LS50 wireless. The Kefs are more traditional but sound rather "shut in" and even more so against the Phantoms. Then the bass on the Phantoms. Wow, unbelievable. Seeing as I'm used to plenty of bass from my OB1's I was still impressed.
The vocals on the Phantoms seemed so effortless too.
So, you can guess what I brought home with me. They are still so different to my old sound but I think over time, I will be much happier with them and how easy it is to manage my music.
The only thing I need to avoid is tweaking power cables and Ethernet cables and spend more time listening and enjoying.

purite audio
27-05-2017, 19:14
You know that Devialet won't repair them out of warranty?
Keith

Denney10
27-05-2017, 21:29
That's a worry. Why would they not repair? Surely not a business model that supports future sales or customer datisfaction

Macca
27-05-2017, 21:37
Thought it might be a more difficult decision for you than it turned out to be :) Anyway, enjoy.

Clive197
29-05-2017, 10:02
You know that Devialet won't repair them out of warranty?
Keith

That sounds like poor customer service. How long is the warranty for?

Macca
29-05-2017, 10:27
That sounds like poor customer service. How long is the warranty for?

2 years, or 5 if you register on line.

walpurgis
29-05-2017, 10:41
2 years, or 5 if you register on line.

Planned obsolescence no doubt.

Maybe the idea being that if you can afford Devialet gear in the first place, you have the money to buy the superseding model or move up the range after a year or two, rendering the older product of no consequence from their point of view. I'd not be surprised if there's an attractive trade in option to encourage this.

Macca
29-05-2017, 11:22
Or maybe the odds are they will last at least ten years, as with most properly built electronic gadgets?

Also just because Devaliet will not fix them out of warranty doesn't mean they cant be repaired by someone. You see it quite often that people will fret about this when they consider buying old kit made by a company that no longer exists. The odd idea that only the company who made something will be able to fix it if it goes wrong.

Ammonite Audio
29-05-2017, 12:44
Maybe the Phantoms' design is just so complicated and densely packaged that, if something goes awry, repairs are simply uneconomical. That's not to say that Devialet won't take a very charitable view of failures outside the warranty period - it's surely in their interests to be very understanding of such occurrences if they wish to preserve the brand's reputation. Is there any evidence of Devialet failing to give good customer service?

I don't have any relationship with Devialet, nor am I ever likely to, but it seems to me that buying Devialet represents less of a risk than buying from any number of new pop-up brands that most likely will not survive long enough to give any customer service at all.

Getgaff
29-05-2017, 13:07
Taken from another forum:

"The Phantom themselves are not repairable. Due to the manufacturing process which seals the Phantom with one ton of pressure we are unable to take the Phantom apart, and put it together again and still deliver an amazing quality of sound. At this time you would be required to purchase a new Phantom unless the previous Phantom is subscribed to the Devialetcare."

Macca
29-05-2017, 13:22
That settles that, then.

Ammonite Audio
29-05-2017, 13:41
Taken from another forum:

"The Phantom themselves are not repairable. Due to the manufacturing process which seals the Phantom with one ton of pressure we are unable to take the Phantom apart, and put it together again and still deliver an amazing quality of sound. At this time you would be required to purchase a new Phantom unless the previous Phantom is subscribed to the Devialetcare."

Simple answer - if the Phantoms flick your switch, subscribe to Devialetcare.

Pieoftheday
29-05-2017, 13:41
So if they go caput during the warranty,you get some new ones? I Suppose that's good but it seems odd designing something that can't be repaired?

Yomanze
30-05-2017, 07:15
So if they go caput during the warranty,you get some new ones? I Suppose that's good but it seems odd designing something that can't be repaired?

It's the risk you take with heavily integrated electronics that are as much computer as they are HiFi. If you'd rather deal with a recap at most every 10yrs then classic HiFi still has its merits, or as above, get insurance & after-care packages.

Spectral Morn
30-05-2017, 08:08
That settles that, then.

Crazy to make something that can't be fixed, shakes head in disbelief. Not read that in any of the reviews - if I recall correctly.

Macca
30-05-2017, 11:16
I guess it is something to do with the way the bass system works.

roob
30-05-2017, 14:50
I thought they sounded poor when I heard a pair at Scalford a couple of years ago, initially impressive but something false about the sound esp the bass.