PDA

View Full Version : Another piece of the jigsaw falls into place

mikeyb
20-05-2017, 09:27
A Mike New Mk1 arrived yesterday and was fitted within a few minutes of breaking into the substantial packaging ��

Right away I noticed even more detail than before, I usually run my modded 1210 with the OEM platter, SDS Isoplatmat with the SDS thin mat on top of that.

I've been lucky because on each step of this upgrade journey I've noticed an obvious upgrade in sound quality. I had to readjust the VTA of the Zyx cartridge as the MN Platter is shallower than the OEM one, lowering the Mission 774 arm pillar to 0 on the mount is the max I can get obviously and it seems pretty good there, this makes arm wand sit about 1mm lower at the pivot end, the Zyx ( and I ) prefer this as it digs out a bit more bass without sacrificing detail.

I've tried various combinations of MN Platter with no mat, with SDS platter ( SDS mat on and off ), SDS mat on its own, with the Herbies mat ( supplied with MN Platter ), Herbies mat and SDS mat etc etc and so far the MN Platter plus Herbies helps give me the best VTA and sound quality, I'll try a Funk Firm Achromat if I can pick one up s/h and see if that improves anything.

Worthless without pics I hear you say, well here you go...........

Pic removed - update with better one later

Ali Tait
20-05-2017, 11:55
Mike, was going to put a post up about this, try one of these, best mat I've yet tried-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROVEN-upgrade-for-Technics-AudioTechnica-VIBRO-STOP-Platter-Mat-X2-System-/262881316166?hash=item3d34f28d46:g:GxkAAOSw-K9ZDimd

mikeyb
20-05-2017, 12:23
Mike, was going to put a post up about this, try one of these, best mat I've yet tried-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROVEN-upgrade-for-Technics-AudioTechnica-VIBRO-STOP-Platter-Mat-X2-System-/262881316166?hash=item3d34f28d46:g:GxkAAOSw-K9ZDimd

I looked at those earlier today, but seeing as I already have trouble with static I discounted these as making my issue worse. I might try my SDS back on once I get a chance to go to 11 :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
20-05-2017, 14:04
This could help-

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stat_trap_e.html

Spectral Morn
20-05-2017, 14:05
Glad it is working for you Mike and glad it arrived ok :D I personally think the Funk is the best match, but different system so your mileage may vary.

mikeyb
20-05-2017, 14:08
This could help-

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stat_trap_e.html
These appear to work well too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272287988262

But check out Arcalian Discord that's used to remove static when printing, looks great but £250 for 10m. A certain HiFi company are making a gadget based on it as I write 😉

Ali Tait
20-05-2017, 14:32
Hadn't come across that idea, worth a try.

mikeyb
20-05-2017, 14:35
Hadn't come across that idea, worth a try.
I thought about a roll and then sell off bit by bit 😉

Ali Tait
20-05-2017, 15:24
LOL aye.

walpurgis
20-05-2017, 15:32
I had a similar idea years ago. Using the graphite core from spark plug HT leads, mounted to just brush the edge of a record. Never got around to trying it though. Static was not a huge problem for me.

Wakefield Turntables
20-05-2017, 17:39
A Mike New Mk1 arrived yesterday and was fitted within a few minutes of breaking into the substantial packaging ��

Right away I noticed even more detail than before, I usually run my modded 1210 with the OEM platter, SDS Isoplatmat with the SDS thin mat on top of that.

I've been lucky because on each step of this upgrade journey I've noticed an obvious upgrade in sound quality. I had to readjust the VTA of the Zyx cartridge as the MN Platter is shallower than the OEM one, lowering the Mission 774 arm pillar to 0 on the mount is the max I can get obviously and it seems pretty good there, this makes arm wand sit about 1mm lower at the pivot end, the Zyx ( and I ) prefer this as it digs out a bit more bass without sacrificing detail.

I've tried various combinations of MN Platter with no mat, with SDS platter ( SDS mat on and off ), SDS mat on its own, with the Herbies mat ( supplied with MN Platter ), Herbies mat and SDS mat etc etc and so far the MN Platter plus Herbies helps give me the best VTA and sound quality, I'll try a Funk Firm Achromat if I can pick one up s/h and see if that improves anything.

Worthless without pics I hear you say, well here you go...........

Pic removed - update with better one later

I have a MK1 platter as well and it appears that your running a similar set of mods to myself. I would seek out a Audio studio glass mat for use with your new MN platter. They cost ~£75 the last time I looked. I did a review here on AOS the Crystal Audio mat fended off at least 10 differing mats.

mikeyb
20-05-2017, 18:51
I have a MK1 platter as well and it appears that your running a similar set of mods to myself. I would seek out a Audio studio glass mat for use with your new MN platter. They cost ~£75 the last time I looked. I did a review here on AOS the Crystal Audio mat fended off at least 10 differing mats.
Thanks, I have an issue with my setup just now and it is too detailed and open, no doubt site to too many clean and detailed bits in the chain. I really really want to change my speakers to something a bit warmer as I'm sure that's one of the main causes of the issue.

A tall ask as they can't be much bigger than my PMC 21's, but I'm so tempted just to buy a vintage set of kefs, spendors, IMF or the like and try them and hope the boss let's them stay once they're here lol.

I really wanted to try a set of Spendor S2/3R that came up for sale recently but postage was an issue so I missed out on them, not that they would be considered a similar size to the 21's ��

So I possibly have too much of a good thing with clean fast detail almost like I have the bare bones of something but no meat ��

And yet.... Some material sounds bloody brilliant, oh dear ........ ��

Wakefield Turntables
20-05-2017, 18:57
Hmmmm you might not want to try the mat I suggested if you like clean and fast detail as this will give you even more of the same. :eek:

mikeyb
20-05-2017, 19:01
Hmmmm you might not want to try the mat I suggested if you like clean and fast detail as this will give you even more of the same. :eek:
Yeah I thought that once I read reviews. Thing is I'm pretty sure it's my speakers so I might have to have a few on demo which ain't easy as only a couple of shops near me.

mikeyb
21-05-2017, 11:28
Well booger me, I've fixed my lack of meat issue 😱

No idea how this happened but I swapped a speaker cable from red to black and BOOM ! or should I say THUMP, everything was back as it should be, bloody strange 🤔

Now I'm rocking again 😊

Ali Tait
21-05-2017, 11:36
Seems you were out of phase somewhere.

struth
21-05-2017, 11:54
I had one mono out of phase recently and it took me a while to decide what it was. Lol

mikeyb
21-05-2017, 11:56
Seems you were out of phase somewhere.
Aye, can't understand how, but it's all better now, still want other speakers though lol