PDA

View Full Version : Analogue Factory Denon 103 mc cartridge

jandl100
17-01-2010, 09:17
My LP playing had slowly been fading away, which is a shame as I have lots of fine music in my LP collection. Something had to be done - the eye of suspicion fell on my Ortofon Rondo Bronze mc cartridge - a mighty fine device, no doubt about that - oodles of detail and excellent dynamics - but in my system a little cool and lacking in musical passion perhaps!

What to do? I'd very much enjoyed my time with a standard Denon 103, but I know from past experience that going back to an old fave doesn't maintain my interest for very long at all. So perusing eBay, as one does ;) , I came across an auction for a brand new modded Denon 103 from The Analogue Factory, TAF. They whip the body off and mount the cart in an open aluminium shell. I'd heard lots of good words about this type of approach, although there seems little info around about this particular company. But what the hell, I bid and won.

It arrived yesterday, after a long wait due to local 'orrible road conditions and lack of postal service - lots of concerned phone calls from Chris, the TAF guy. Excellent service, I would say.

Ain't she purdy! .... :eek:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DenonTAF5.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DenonTAF6.jpg

Very early days yet, of course, and I am sure the beastie has to run in for a while - but initial impressions are very favourable. Loads of nicely focussed detail, but a warmer more inviting approach than my Ortofon. Very pleased so far.

It comes with a 45 day 'satisfaction guarantee', so lots of time to let it settle in and see how we get on together!

That kind and all-round good fellow, Marco, has posted me a mounting plate that should make a good match with my arm, but sadly that hasn't yet arrived .... :(

Here's the blurb from the eBay auction:

Based on the legendary Denon DL-103 nuded, with machined body, dual compound epoxy potted motor assembly and body, increased weight and machined directly into body EIA standard two hole mounting.

So whats it sound like? The original DL-103 is a classic, easy to set up and it really soaks the music from that stereo groove. Its easy on the ears, has super cartrtidge status in the meat of the music range, with real stereophonic magicness. While the original has life, compared to modern pickups it is not all that resolving in the bass; lacks detail as a whole (no more)

the *T.A.F DL-103 cleans it all up, expanding all the good traits, adds incisiveness and full bandwidth dynamic slam and delicacy all without making it sound like a soulless modern cartridge.

Making a good cartridge Great !!!!

There's another on auction on eBay for another one ... I hope it goes for more than I paid! :eyebrows: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Analogue-Factory-Denon-103_W0QQitemZ200427435075QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Aud ioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash=item 2eaa67f443

The Grand Wazoo
17-01-2010, 09:25
Bloody Nora, Jerry! You stole it. The stylus guard is worth more than that.

jandl100
17-01-2010, 09:29
What stylus guard? :lol:

Must admit that's one thing that does concern me as I'm a bit of a clumsy oaf at times!

The Grand Wazoo
17-01-2010, 11:10
Funny thing is, I actually saw that listing on Ebay a day or so before you won it. It ocurred to me to have a pop at it too. Luckily, I didn't or neither of us would have got it for that price!!
Well done, mate!

REM
17-01-2010, 13:04
Bit pricier I know but this little beauty looks worth the asking price:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220538285219&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'd take a punt on this myself but having just shelled out on the MN bearing for the 1210 and having to pay the car insurance this month, it'll just have to wait a while. If any one fancies it be quick it ends today.

Regards

Marco
20-01-2010, 10:02
Hi Jerry,

That kind and all-round good fellow, Marco, has posted me a mounting plate that should make a good match with my arm, but sadly that hasn't yet arrived ....

*That* is a bloody nightmare - I hope it hasn't got lost :(

Anyway, keep me posted dude if/when it arrives....

However, one thing that has occurred to me is that some of the companies who 're-shell' 103s address the issue of added mass (which the 103 likes) in the new body shell itself. Zu do this with their 103s, and you can tell because the cartridge weighs a ton!

How heavy is the cartridge, Jerry - perhaps you could weigh it? It might be that you don't need any more mass than you've got already....

The best way of testing, sonically, if there's enough mass is to play a 'busy' recording that's got lots going on at the same time, and one that has the tendency to get a bit 'edgy'. If the sound falls apart and gets rather ragged, then you probably don't have enough mass. If the AF 103 sails through it and resolves the information properly, then chances are you've got enough mass (and thus the cartridge is set-up optimally in all other areas, too).

As a matter of interest, what does your phono stage load MCs at - is it adjustable?

Should the stuff I've sent you not arrive, or in the meantime if you want to play around with adding some extra mass, then cutting strips of this (self-adhesive) dolls house lead flashing and fixing it to your tonearm's headshell (or armtube) will have the same effect:

http://www.craft-products.com/dolls-house-lead.asp

Anyway, I'm glad that the AF 103 seems to be hitting the spot so far, and hope that this is a keeper (for a while anyway! ;))

If there's anything else I can help with, just ask :cool:

Marco.

jandl100
20-01-2010, 10:30
Hi Jerry,

*That* is a bloody nightmare - I hope it hasn't got lost :(

Anyway, keep me posted dude if/when it arrives....]

Hi Marco - still no sign of the mounting plate. :(

However, one thing that has occurred to me is that some of the companies who 're-shell' 103s address the issue of added mass (which the 103 likes) in the new body shell itself. Zu do this with their 103s, and you can tell because the cartridge weighs a ton!

How heavy is the cartridge, Jerry - perhaps you could weigh it? It might be that you don't need any more mass than you've got already....

Yup - it's bloody heavy - many times the weight of my Ortofon Rondo. So, no, the probably lost plate you have sent was probably not needed anyway! :doh:

I've had to add substantial extra mass at the counterweight to balance the arm. See if you can tell what it is! .....

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/YammiettarmandTAF103cart.jpg

The best way of testing, sonically, if there's enough mass is to play a 'busy' recording that's got lots going on at the same time, and one that has the tendency to get a bit 'edgy'. If the sound falls apart and gets rather ragged, then you probably don't have enough mass.

I generally play small-scale music on LP, so that doesn't tend to be a big issue with me. I guess that historically, I've found lasrge scale classical a bit of a challenge for my tt setups so I tend to avoid these without even trying! I do have some big orchestral stuff that I'll try later.

As a matter of interest, what does your phono stage load MCs at - is it adjustable?

Nope, no adjustments - I understand that it was set up for a Lyra Helicon mc cart (0.5mV) - but I'm not sure of the loading! Must admit that for this reason I've been giving some thought to selling the Loricraft on and getting something that is adjustable. Trouble is I've been thru a fair few 'stages (as you might recall) and the Loricraft is one of the few that I've particularly liked! I guess that if I do stay with the TAF 103 (which does seem likely at the moment) then I could send the stage to Loricraft and have them set it up for the Denon.

Should the stuff I've sent you not arrive, or in the meantime if you want to play around with adding some extra mass, then cutting strips of this (self-adhesive) dolls house lead flashing and fixing it to your headshell (or armtube) will have the same effect:

http://www.craft-products.com/dolls-house-lead.asp

Thanks - I'll look into that - I deduce that you don't hold with sticking some blu-tack on to add mass! :)

Thanks for your comments! :cool: