PDA

View Full Version : Bat out of Hell

GJO
17-05-2017, 09:58
Is it just me,I hated this with a vengeance when it came out,I even dumped a rather lovely girlfriend who insisted on playing it when I was round her place,it still grates whenever I hear any tracks from it.

Am I alone ?

struth
17-05-2017, 10:01
Its ok, but not all the time. Yes think everyone had a girlfiend who either played it or liked to sneakily quote lines to you as if they were her own...saucy barks. Ive got a copy on cd that i cant get shot of as my dear daughter bought me it as a present many moons ago alas

willbewill
17-05-2017, 10:14
I love it but I'm a big Todd Rundgren fan.

walpurgis
17-05-2017, 10:43
:) I hate it too.

But not as much as 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen!

Truckletheuncivil
17-05-2017, 11:08
Many years ago a group of us drove from London to Holyhead to catch a ferry. At Out of Hell was the only cassette the driver had in his car. After a couple of hours of continuous play one of my mates pulled it out and chucked it out the window. The silence was indeed golden

Arkless Electronics
17-05-2017, 12:16
Love it! Probably the worst recording quality ever though...
Great tunes and great singing. What's not to like?

fatreg
17-05-2017, 21:21
Being a child of the 80s, Bat Out Of Hell 2 I heard a lot of, still to this day one of my fave albums, loud, big voice. Marvin sure knows who to sing, or at least he did, recent stuff has been dire.

Andy831
18-05-2017, 11:55
My wifes favourite which I hate with a vengence. She keeps promising to play it at my funeral LOL.

I am also with Walpurgis on the Queen thing, in fact anything by Queen gets a thumbs down from me.

struth
18-05-2017, 12:10
I like a bit of queen too.... even abba on occasion :sofa::sofa:

Arkless Electronics
18-05-2017, 13:45
Queens early stuff was by far the best. I love the first few albums but can't stand the likes of "I want to break free", "Radio ga ga" and "Flash!".. just far too kitsch, kooky and camp...

walpurgis
18-05-2017, 14:09
I am also with Walpurgis on the Queen thing, in fact anything by Queen gets a thumbs down from me.

Good man! :lolsign:

joker
18-05-2017, 16:35
when i had to do a stint as a kitchen porter, playing this on my walkman was the only way i kept my spirits up during the time spent scraping and washing pans in an outside 'annex' (roof over top but no wall behind me) of a very posh hotel during a cold winter. The chef said there was something wrong with me as no one smiled whilst doing that job!

willbewill
18-05-2017, 16:50
But not as much as 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen!

Yep I hate that almost as much as 'Whiter shade of pale,

walpurgis
18-05-2017, 16:56

HaHa. Yes, that's a real dirge. :D

GJO
19-05-2017, 07:39
I actually quite liked the first two Queen albums,but after that they were utter dross.

Spectral Morn
19-05-2017, 09:26
I love it but I'm a big Todd Rundgren fan.

+ 1

To the OP, imho you should have gone with the vibe and been the wolf with the red roses ;)

I think though that Mr Loaf has been somewhat of a one trick pony regarding his follow up albums, but that first one is a classic, if you like that kind of melodic rock.

Spectral Morn
19-05-2017, 09:28

First stirrings of prog, an important song. I like it a lot.

Pete The Cat
21-05-2017, 06:40
I actually quite liked the first two Queen albums,but after that they were utter dross.

The first Queen two albums are brilliant. I can live with the next couple but they tailed off into a poor joke after that.

The first couple of tracks on Bat Out Of Hell are worth its space on the shelf but the rest of the album is filler just waiting to be put into a rock musical IMHO.

Pete

jollyfix
21-05-2017, 07:46
Never liked 'Bat out of hell', 'Bohemian Rhapsody', Sultans of swing', Hotel California', Rocket man', to name but a few. Mainly because of the music, but also because all the people i knew who liked those tunes, work mates ,people i grew up with, were right knob ends... Not to say anybody who likes those tunes are knob ends, but the people i knew were. I always associate the songs with those people.
Even worse they sang ( i use that term loosely ) along to those tunes too, one of my bugbears.

struth
21-05-2017, 07:52
remember having to dance with an ugly bint right through Hotel California.:doh: all 6 and a half mins. poor disco lighting, honest:D

swampy
24-05-2017, 09:10
Re: Bat out of hell.... Probably the album I dislike the most and the title track makes me gringe when I hear it but the mainstream think its a masterpiece right up with Bowie works, go figure, hence the musicals..... Cannot imagine the pain of sitting through a musical stage version. Having said that my music taste is rather weird and most hate the kind of stuff I am into so each to his own I guess.