PDA

View Full Version : Best dual concentric

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 07:51
In September I plan on trying new speakers (currently Ane spx) and really would like to try high efficiency, point source speakers without crossovers. My budget will be around 3k and I'm happy to buy second hand (though it would have to be eBay as no one ships on AOS).

What are the best available at that kind of price?

walpurgis
14-05-2017, 08:48
Dual concentric speakers generally have crossovers and employ TWO drive units. One (the tweeter) central to the second, the bass cone.

As for full range single drive units, the sky's the limit in choice really. Try Googling and you'll see.

struth
14-05-2017, 08:58
ive loads of full range speaks and they are excellent. some of the old ones like my Telefunken paper coned ones are superb. nice simple sound

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 09:02
I'm looking for simplicity, purity - if full range means no crossover then that's the way I'd go, though I think I'm right in saying that in a dual concentric it's just a capacitor? I'm an idiot when it comes to this particular topic.

jandl100
14-05-2017, 09:05
I'm not a fanboy of single driver speakers (apart from electrostatics) but by far the best I have heard are by Eclipse. The usual single driver tonal aberrations are largely absent and you get the coherence and purity benefits of a simple basic design.
They look cool, too!

http://www.techdigest.tv/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/eclipse-td712zmk2-speakers-thumb-250x286-77612.jpg

As for Tannoy dual concentrics ... it's best not to ask me! :lol:

struth
14-05-2017, 09:07
I'm looking for simplicity, purity - if full range means no crossover then that's the way I'd go, though I think I'm right in saying that in a dual concentric it's just a capacitor? I'm an idiot when it comes to this particular topic.

you just have to look at Tannoy crossovers to see its not just a cap. with any fullrange speaker you can add a supertweeter with a cap

walpurgis
14-05-2017, 09:12
Would you consider making your own cabinets or baffles Adrian? Many full range speaker units only require fairly simple enclosures and this brings the cost down if you can do it yourself.

jandl100
14-05-2017, 09:13
you just have to look at Tannoy crossovers to see its not just a cap.

Yep.

Here's a pic of a Tannoy HPD crossover by Paul / RFC.

http://www.referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/MG_8258.jpg

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 09:16
Ok so full range is probably the way to go for simplicity!

I could probably have the cabinets made - with a little help...

ianlenco
14-05-2017, 09:18
Alpair, Jordans, Corals, I've used them all and enjoyed everyone. They have a real directness about them that just sounds right. When I go back to speakers with tweeters I always struggle a bit getting used to them. I think these will be far too cheap for you but I will be selling a pair of Coral Flat 8 drivers in the near future. Legendary vintage drivers and now very rare but I'm just not using them and they really should be used. Cabinet plans are fairly simple and could easily be made up by a local joiner. Mega smooth and natural.

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 09:20
Let me know when...

struth
14-05-2017, 09:24
my last set. twin drivers but still full range and no crossover.
as you see its pretty easy overall. these have a side reflex vent

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/ce94467c49a463bce2bc06ee9c93424f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160708/33ca2ba51436785b009fca6895418b51.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160626/420c4784981936d060a48dd1dd1e90bb.jpg

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 09:25
Lovely.

struth
14-05-2017, 09:30
Guy here made the cabs originally for tannoys, but they didnt work so i got them off him and converted them to my needs. Not the last word in craftsmanship but they are very strong(double the thickness you see) drivers are 10" each. very sensitive at about 97db

walpurgis
14-05-2017, 09:46
Talking of Corals. Here are the exquisite, top of the range Coral Beta 10 ten inch drivers.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2r7vj0y.jpg

And in their horn cabinets, with super tweeter.

http://i66.tinypic.com/jaarn9.jpg

Not an easy build, but it can be done.

Here are mine, built many years ago.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2u8b2ts.jpg

102db sensitivity and superb sound! I should have kept them.

Unfortunately, Coral drivers have been out of production for very many years.

The nearest modern equivalent are the Fostex range. Have a look at this UK supplier, Wilmslow Audio, here: http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/fostex-56-c.asp

jandl100
14-05-2017, 09:47
OMG - whizzer cones.
Listen before you commit yourself!

Sherwood
14-05-2017, 09:51
Ok so full range is probably the way to go for simplicity!

I could probably have the cabinets made - with a little help...

I would endorse full range designs. I have Magneplanars as my main speakers and Rogers LS3/5a speakers in storage. However, I can thoroughly endorse the full range speakers produced by this company: http://omegaloudspeakers.com/home.html

They are a direct sell operation with the owner Louis being designer and manufacturer. The quality of construction is superb and the sound quality exceptional. I am on my second pair as a colleague begged to my the first pair I bought when I was working in Malawi. I bought the current pair direct from the Omega factory. They are a custom design (effectively the Super 7 monitor with an Alnico driver). The only criticism I have is that they take a long time to run-in.

I understand that you cannot hear them before purchase, you are welcome to hear a demo of mine if you get back to the UK, but with your budget it would be worth having a break in New York and driving down to hear his speakers at the factory. He has a fantastic collection of vintage valve equipment to demo his products.

Geoff

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 09:55
In had a look at the omega site a few weeks back. Yes they are beautifully made - but customs would be bloody nightmare. I'll check them out again.

One thing - I hate shouty, hard midrange - I've heard that wizzer cones can be troublesome in this area - or am I wrong....

jandl100
14-05-2017, 09:59
One thing - I hate shouty, hard midrange - I've heard that wizzer cones can be troublesome in this area - or am I wrong....

You are not wrong, ime.

I've not heard the ones Geoff mentioned, so cannot say owt about them - but the several I have heard have been a sonic disaster.
As I said, listen first - they may work for you, or they may not.

anubisgrau
14-05-2017, 10:01

slippery slope!

walpurgis
14-05-2017, 10:16
I've heard that wizzer cones can be troublesome in this area - or am I wrong....

They can be. But like all things, it varies. There are some very fine speakers that use a parasitic cone.

Feastrix make beautiful dual cone full range speakers, but only for those with deep pockets. A pair of these will set you back around £40,000 if I recall.

http://i66.tinypic.com/5zqqmu.jpg

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 10:21
They can be. But like all things, it varies. There are some very fine speakers that use a parasitic cone.

Feastrix make beautiful dual cone full range speakers, but only for those with deep pockets. A pair of these will set you back around £40,000 if I recall.

http://i66.tinypic.com/5zqqmu.jpg
Holy crap!

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 10:23
There's a lovely pair of WLM Speakers for sale on here at the moment but like always no shipping to spain.

Sherwood
14-05-2017, 10:28
In had a look at the omega site a few weeks back. Yes they are beautifully made - but customs would be bloody nightmare. I'll check them out again.

I had my first pair of Omegas (floor standers) shipped via fedex. Beautifully and safely packed no problems. The second pair I brought back as baggage. Counted as 1 of the 2 23kg items allowed on Transatlantic flights. His factory is less than an hour from NYC by car.

The sound quality on both speakers share a family resemblance (the drivers are in house designs) but the Alnico drivers deliver that weighty valve like mid range presence. Dynamics are startling but definitely not shouty. I dislike the Fostex designs for that reason.

If you are seriously considering an Omega design i would give Louis a ring. All of his products are built to order and he has good rates on international shipping. Very friendly guy and can advise on shipping to Spain. Into cars in a big way, he has a Mini Clubman, which is quite surprising given the (poor) quality of many USA roads.

Get in touch via PM if you need further info.

Geoff

Ammonite Audio
14-05-2017, 10:34

Omega are sold in the UK by Divine Audio (see https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/brands/omega-loudspeaker-systems ), so no customs dramas. I have heard one of the stand mount designs (the Omega Compact Alnico Monitor IIRC) and it was one of those occasionally transcendental audio experiences - just lovely and a beautifully balanced sound but with that single driver musical coherence. As for whizzer cones, I suspect that it's a matter of the overall design, rather than their having any universal or detrimental sonic characteristics.

If you find yourself back in the UK, and knowing the sort of music that you enjoy, I would very much recommend hearing Omega speakers.

M6NTL
14-05-2017, 10:40
I have 2 pairs of absolutely fantastic sounding Infinity Dual Concentric 6.5" car speakers - 4 ohm impedance though.
Sounded amazing boxed and driven by my Grant G50 Valve Amp...

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

walpurgis
14-05-2017, 10:46
Yes. Some car speakers are very high quality and can sound remarkably good.

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 10:48
Omega are sold in the UK by Divine Audio (see https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/brands/omega-loudspeaker-systems ), so no customs dramas. I have heard one of the stand mount designs (the Omega Compact Alnico Monitor IIRC) and it was one of those occasionally transcendental audio experiences - just lovely and a beautifully balanced sound but with that single driver musical coherence. As for whizzer cones, I suspect that it's a matter of the overall design, rather than their having any universal or detrimental sonic characteristics.

If you find yourself back in the UK, and knowing the sort of music that you enjoy, I would very much recommend hearing Omega speakers.
Thanks Hugo - have to say they look remarkably good value.

Sherwood
14-05-2017, 11:10

I am glad that Louis finally has a UK outlet and that others share my view of these speakers. It must be quite recent as only a year ago they had no UK retailer. It comes as no surprise to me that this dealer is also a Croft dealer. as these speakers really sing with quality valve amplification. I use my Omegas in a vinyl only system powered by an Art Audio Quintet in triode mode and the sound is excellent. What does surprise me is that the UK prices do not carry the outrageous mark ups usually associated with US imports, though I think that the price premiums for some of the more exotic finishes are a little high over the basic models. I know that your budget is 3k but personally I would go for one of the two Alnico monitors. Do try and hear them as I am sure you will be knocked out by their performance.

The problem is that I am now tempted to upgrade to another model in the Omega range. Perhaps it's just as well that Divine Audio don't stock the SUPER ALNICO HIGH OUTPUT MONITOR a 99db efficiency beast.

Geoff

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 11:14
I am glad that Louis finally has a UK outlet and that others share my view of these speakers. It must be quite recent as only a year ago they had no UK retailer. It comes as no surprise to me that this dealer is also a Croft dealer. as these speakers really sing with quality valve amplification. I use my Omegas in a vinyl only system powered by an Art Audio Quintet in triode mode and the sound is excellent. What does surprise me is that the UK prices do not carry the outrageous mark ups usually associated with US imports, though I think that the price premiums for some of the more exotic finishes are a little high over the basic models. I know that your budget is 3k but personally I would go for one of the two Alnico monitors. Do try and hear them as I am sure you will be knocked out by their performance.

The problem is that I am now tempted to upgrade to another model in the Omega range. Perhaps it's just as well that Divine Audio don't stock the SUPER ALNICO HIGH OUTPUT MONITOR a 99db efficiency beast.

Geoff
I like the floor Stander's for their extra extension but love the idea of the SAM alnico montors - I guess room placement could boost their 45hz cut off.

Sherwood
14-05-2017, 11:33
I like the floor Stander's for their extra extension but love the idea of the SAM alnico montors - I guess room placement could boost their 45hz cut off.

The first pair I had were floor standers (similar to the 3XRS I think). They were fantastic and I am generally of the view that floorstanders are good value because they do not require stands and take up no more space than standmounts. However, I am a big fan of Omega's Alnico driver. Even though the speaker volume of my Super 7 Alnico monitor is less it is certainly not bass shy. Furthermore, what bass there is it tight and rhythmic. I was listening to Rickie Lee Jones Girl at Her Volcano the other day and the dynamics and slam on Under the Boardwalk were awesome. Imaging is fantastic but you do have to pull them into the room and away from walls to get the massive soundstage. On balance I feel my current model is significantly better that the first with no obvious compromise in the bass department.

Now an Omega floorstander with the Alnico drivers .........:drool:

Marco
14-05-2017, 12:25
I'm not a fanboy of single driver speakers (apart from electrostatics) but by far the best I have heard are by Eclipse. The usual single driver tonal aberrations are largely absent and you get the coherence and purity benefits of a simple basic design.

Yes, and simply replaced by those inherent in the design of whatever other speakers you're comparing them with! :ner:

Speakers? None are perfect; ALL are coloured to some degree. Therefore, simply choose the "tonal aberrations" you can live with most...

Best still, forget all about concerning yourself with single or multiple drivers, and simply, with a completely open mind, free from often misleading preconceptions, choose speakers that you like the looks and sound of the most, that work best with the kit you've got, and will fit into your room - end of ;)

Marco.

struth
14-05-2017, 12:27
or wait til your my age and couldnt give a shit :D forget speakers anyways; get headphones:sofa:

ianlenco
14-05-2017, 12:47
I'd just like to say that despite their whizzer cones there is no way anyone could accuse Coral Flat 8's as shouty!

Sherwood
14-05-2017, 12:59
or wait til your my age and couldnt give a shit :D forget speakers anyways; get headphones:sofa:

I wish I could live with headphones. I find that almost all designs start to feel uncomfortable within a short space of time. I must have good circulation too since I find that with headphones on my ears get uncomfortably hot really quickly. The only headphones I can live with are good quality in-ear devices and then only with good quality foam tips.

Geoff

struth
14-05-2017, 13:00
I wish I could live with headphones. I find that almost all designs start to feel uncomfortable within a short space of time. I must have good circulation too since I find that with headphones on my ears get uncomfortably hot really quickly. The only headphones I can live with are good quality in-ear devices and then only with good quality foam tips.

Geoff

my latest ones ive found I can wear all day without discomfort or getting hot. best is they sound good too. oppo

Marco
14-05-2017, 13:16
my latest ones ive found I can wear all day without discomfort or getting hot.

Except when you're plugged in, listening to your 'specially selected' YouTube videos.... Remember that farmyard film about 'Helma and Her Horse'? ;)

:D:D

Marco.

struth
14-05-2017, 13:20
Except when you're plugged in, listening to your 'specially selected' YouTube videos.... Remember that farmyard film about 'Helma and Her Horse'? ;)

:D:D

Marco.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9f/47/0c/9f470cb217b48bdcd12f181d88c9f8cc.jpg

Marco
14-05-2017, 13:40
:lolsign:

Marco.

Ari
14-05-2017, 15:23
Lol !

Seas also sell a full-range speaker , the FA22RCZ : http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=375:h1597-08-fa22rcz&catid=53&Itemid=466

Below is a link to measurements in a Decware Zen Open Baffle ( ZOB ) , good results with no crossover or notch filter .

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1386589985/24#24

Beobloke
14-05-2017, 19:41
Consider looking out for a pair of Goodmans Imagio loudspeakers with their ICT drive unit - they are, strictly speaking, the only true full range driver out there.

I would also advise caution where 'whizzer' cones are concerned. I generally find they are best off left in the front doors of cars where your ankles absorb the worst of their distortions!

farflungstar
14-05-2017, 19:49
They look very interesting...

Arkless Electronics
14-05-2017, 19:55
Whilst not a fan of the full range drive unit generally I was reasonably impressed by a pair of Goodmans axiom speakers a year or so ago... They could have done with a conventional tweeter taking at say 8-10KHz though IMHO as, whilst not disastrously so, the top end was audibly down on what it should have been...

spendorman
14-05-2017, 20:00
I still have a pair of the original Axiettes, not bad full range, put a soft dome tweeter with them using just a single 2uf capacitor as the crossover. A lot of the better Goodmans units were designed by Ted Jordan, later started up his own company, Jordan Watts.

struth
14-05-2017, 20:14
Don't need a tweeter with my telefunkens

Ari
15-05-2017, 01:07
Don't need a tweeter with my telefunkens

How's about a pic of those telefunkens please Struth ! I've never seen them .

I recently purchased a pair of Goodman Twin Axiom 10's in solid pine boxes with yellow wood framing the funky front grille clothe . The box appears to be the original design for the 10's by Goodman . Round hole for port cut in front baffle with ~shoebox size box as a port inside the bigger box . Something like the 2nd design on this flyer :

http://www.sanyue.net/bbs/images/16_37111_b109c93fe3cc33d.jpg

I've got them driven by Pioneer SM-83 in my workshop , they sound amazing . I push the bass on the SM-83 to 3 o'clock , and reduce treble to 11 o'clock ( where 12 o"clock is flat ) and it then sounds fine . With both flat it can sound a little screechy . Perhaps , when I have time again , I can measure and make a notch filter . but I really am quite happy with the treble a notch down and the bass up - they seem quite efficient too .

A couple of years ago ( probably 7 ) in South Africa a pair of Tannoy Monitor Gold 10's , unused in original boxes , with original crossovers , sold for the equivalent of $500 . I can seriously kick myself for not buying them , they were available for a couple of weeks at that time too . I uhmmed and aahhed about it all too long , and then they were gone . :doh:

Looked something like this ( although these could be 12" or 15" )

http://www.retrotechaudio.co.uk/gallery/01_06870ji2.jpg

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Tannoy_IIILZ.htm

struth
15-05-2017, 02:45
There is some. In here of the finished article. Will have look for one of a driver

Sherwood
15-05-2017, 06:51
I think one needs to make judgements about full-range drivers on an empirical basis rather than making generalisations about "shouty" whizzers and excessively rolled-off treble. Yes some full range drivers do have these flaws but not all do.

Listen first: then judge!

Geoff

:rolleyes:

struth
15-05-2017, 08:15
There is some. In here of the finished article. Will have look for one of a driver

these are 10" drivers

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170515/bad3f5b529653c3fb1123de1b65ad1b2.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3208/rS71ta.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/8865/t7wNUw.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/3563/t7jZBp.jpg

last one is inside the single drivers I did first. still sweet and must try them again soon

Pharos
15-05-2017, 11:59
Ari I ask a favour of you regarding the picture above of a corner reflex cabinet.

When I was about 9 my Father built a corner reflex which looks very similar to the one on the left in you picture above, but it was for a Godmans 12" unit with a whizzer, and its front panel port opening was up from the base by about 6".

He built the cabinet with the port, up from the bottom by maybe 6", and I believe that he inverted the box attached to the rear of the front panel so that its opening was pointing up to the driver rather than down to the bottom. This I think he did on on the misconception that by having the open end of the port box which had one 'end' missing, upwards instead of downwards, it would 'allow the sound out better'.

Of course it would which ever way up work as a reflex for bass frequencies, but with it upwards the rear cone mid range would also be allowed out, and this is undesired. So I have a question which you may be able to answer.

Do you have any references or diagrams showing a similar corner box but for a 12" unit that will allow me to determine which way up the box should have been placed?

Ari
15-05-2017, 19:50
Thanks Grant ! They look super-cool , and neodymium magnets , right ?

Hi Dennis - is the 12" driver you refer to perhaps a Goodmans Axiom 201's ? I don't , unfortunately , have the plans . But perhaps I can lead you to some better plans .

Read here first : http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diy_goodmans_horn_e.html

And here for plans : https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php?topic=48084.0

I wish I had a pair of Audiom 201's .

struth
15-05-2017, 19:56
Thanks Grant ! They look super-cool , and neodymium magnets , right ?

Hi Dennis - is the 12" driver you refer to perhaps a Goodmans Axiom 201's ? I don't , unfortunately , have the plans . But perhaps I can lead you to some better plans .

Read here first : http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diy_goodmans_horn_e.html

And here for plans : https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php?topic=48084.0

I wish I had a pair of Audiom 201's .

They are Alnico magnets art. Thanks yes they are nice. Got 7 drivers all told

farflungstar
15-05-2017, 20:03
7 drivers.... I'm sure you wouldn't miss a few.... Lol

struth
15-05-2017, 20:12
7 drivers.... I'm sure you wouldn't miss a few.... Lol

maybe right. intend putting the single driver speakers back in again and see what I think of them after so long using the twin drives. I would sell the singles but dont think the old cabs would stand the shipping tbh. Would be a shame for them to disintegrate. Could maybe sell the drivers separate of course. Folk pay a fortune for these in Germany

Ari
15-05-2017, 20:15
The twin drivers must be super efficient Grant - can probably be driven by 3W SE valves . What do you use ?

farflungstar
15-05-2017, 20:15
What's the stats for them? I know alnico but what response, power... I'd be very interested...

struth
15-05-2017, 20:20
Used to have them they are low ohm(3) so why I put 2 in series on second build to give 6 ohm. not high watts wise but dont need to be in v high 90's db wise. 97 I think. Ive ran the 3 ohm ones with different stuff with no trouble but best with valves as they like a lowish power amp. ^ ohm set are very wide scale and powerful. go nice n loud without much either. was told they are pretty flat all the way

walpurgis
15-05-2017, 20:22
These are nice: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pair-HiEND-6-5inch-DIATONE-P610-clone-MK2-fullrange-speaker-upgrade-eddition-/322461141600?hash=item4b142e8a60:g:yBYAAOSwuxFY1WK p

I've had a pair. Nearly 92db sensitivity and well made. Seller is reliable.

farflungstar
15-05-2017, 20:30
Yup I reckon 2 drivers for 6 ohms would be best. Not sure my 50w SET Carys (yes 50w) might be too much for them although my ANe's are 94db. From reports the alnico magnets product exceptional midrange and bass control - ideal for 300b driven amps. Hmmm

struth
15-05-2017, 20:33
Yup I reckon 2 drivers for 6 ohms would be best. Not sure my 50w SET Carys (yes 50w) might be too much for them although my ANe's are 94db. From reports the alnico magnets product exceptional midrange and bass control - ideal for 300b driven amps. Hmmm

wouldnt be able to go to high but yes Ive used them with an 80 watt sony and they were fine. Just couldnt go too far up the dial. twins give about 30/35 watts max, but you would need the Albert hall too get them that loud:lol:

Ari
15-05-2017, 20:41
Do you use a notch filter ? Or are they fine , without ?

Wow ! 50W SET :eek:

hermit
15-05-2017, 20:42
These Urei 809 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Urei-809-Studio-Monitors-/322494594557?hash=item4b162cfdfd:g:WI8AAOSwrhBZD3Q t) studio monitors might suit. 12" jbl drivers. Very high efficiency. He will post to Spain. NB - priced singly but he will only sell as a pair.

struth
15-05-2017, 20:42
3 in each box now that would be spectacular lol . over 50 watts and about 8 ish ohms.. Got me thinking now lol...TRIPLES:eek:

memory serves they were made by Isophon for Telefunken in 60's . must get over on German ebay and try and find another single

Pharos
15-05-2017, 21:08
Many thanks Ari, the 201s do look very similar but my memory is from '57, a long time ago.

The fronts are very much the same from memory, but the frame looks rather sophisticated and possibly slightly later than '57.
The magnet size and frame look very serious in design, and seem to put to shame much of the later stuff we see.

The original cabinet was very like that on the left of your posted diagrams but with the box hole lifted from the base, allowing for my ambiguity question on which way up the box was meant to go.

Oh and it was used with a Williamson amp, 66s or 88s.

walpurgis
15-05-2017, 21:09
These are gorgeous, but you might have a bit of a job tracking any down.

http://i66.tinypic.com/wkp6pw.jpg

farflungstar
15-05-2017, 21:11
Jaw dropping...

southall-1998
15-05-2017, 21:13
These are gorgeous, but you might have a bit of a job tracking any down.

http://i66.tinypic.com/wkp6pw.jpg

Modern, yet old timer looking. Nice!

S.

farflungstar
15-05-2017, 21:14
They're actually easy to get hold of and only around 360$...

walpurgis
15-05-2017, 21:26
They're actually easy to get hold of and only around 360$...

They were available. But not seen them offered for a while. May still be possible to get them from China. None on ebay worldwide for a while. Nor with US sellers. With shipping, duty and VAT they worked out around £400 a pair in the UK.

farflungstar
15-05-2017, 21:38
Having quickly read up on them it seems they need a contour filter to even them out.

Ari
15-05-2017, 21:46
Having quickly read up on them it seems they need a contour filter to even them out.

I suppose most do .

Here's what's available on ebay right now : http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Cao-FA6-alnico-matched-full-range-speaker-6-inches-pair-/322505764526?hash=item4b16d76eae:g:xcEAAOSwjL5ZDET 5

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/w1gAAOSwR29ZDET~/s-l500.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/19kAAOSwrhBZDEUC/s-l500.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2GoAAOSwrhBZDEUD/s-l500.jpg

walpurgis
15-05-2017, 21:46

Depends on the application. A slight rising response can be useful in a lightly damped large reflex box or backloaded full range horn. Lowthers being an example.

Use of the filter is optional with the L Caos. Some reviews say it's not required or suggest a milder type.

walpurgis
15-05-2017, 21:49
I suppose most do .

Here's what's available on ebay right now : http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Cao-FA6-alnico-matched-full-range-speaker-6-inches-pair-/322505764526?hash=item4b16d76eae:g:xcEAAOSwjL5ZDET 5

Related, but not the same. That's the 6.5 inch version. My image is of the 8 inch.

Ari
15-05-2017, 21:50
Has anybody here tried the Audio Nirvana drivers ?

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvana.html

danilo
15-05-2017, 21:58
Not owned but listened to ANirvana's quite a bit.
IMO (And general consensus) is that their 8" driver is their Best sounding/working speaker.
Like all Full rangers.. Lows and Highs are constrained.. But their 8's exhibit the least of this.
Quite nice/pleasing sounds drivers actually. One can do far worse.

Ari
16-05-2017, 04:04
Not owned but listened to ANirvana's quite a bit.
IMO (And general consensus) is that their 8" driver is their Best sounding/working speaker.
Like all Full rangers.. Lows and Highs are constrained.. But their 8's exhibit the least of this.
Quite nice/pleasing sounds drivers actually. One can do far worse.

Thanks for the reply Danilo ! Re-assuring to see that your own speakers are Monitor Gold's . :clap:

Specs on the Classic 8+ ALNICO look fantastic !

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an8classic8+alnicospecs.jpg

But then , at $1299/pr , they had better be . :stalks:

jusbe
16-05-2017, 20:31
In September I plan on trying new speakers (currently Ane spx) and really would like to try high efficiency, point source speakers without crossovers. My budget will be around 3k and I'm happy to buy second hand (though it would have to be eBay as no one ships on AOS).

What are the best available at that kind of price?

The best ones I have had in house, are Fertin field coil drivers FLB20EX (now the LB8EX mark ii (http://www.emspeaker.com/ems_products.html)), AER single drivers (https://aer-loudspeakers.com/aer-breitbandchassis-bd/) with whizzers, and more recently, 12" Isophon Orchesters (2 pairs, alnico drivers, single capacitor crossover)- for which I may finally get some original cabinets built (reflex, about 280+ litres):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4183/33859927344_ab40538ccf_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4178/34661935716_bfe0fbf1eb_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4178/34702392945_8ca978f462_b.jpg

I think you can still get these in Europe. In fact, I'm fairly sure NOS items were available in Spain just a few years ago. Like others here, I am a fan of vintage German drivers.

farflungstar
16-05-2017, 20:37
Lovely....

jusbe
16-05-2017, 20:42
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4175/34571983691_f51b708a61_b.jpg

farflungstar
16-05-2017, 20:49
There's a pair of 12" orchesters on eBay at the moment but they don't look the same...

walpurgis
16-05-2017, 21:00
The Philips 9710M are quite popular. Prices are picking up these days.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2qi2um1.jpg

walpurgis
16-05-2017, 21:05
There's a pair of 12" orchesters on eBay at the moment but they don't look the same...

Not seen those. I was looking through Isophon on ebay yesterday. Got a link?

The later Orchester had a dome central tweeter.

farflungstar
16-05-2017, 21:09
I can give you the item number

farflungstar
16-05-2017, 21:11
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=361970218233&alt=web

walpurgis
16-05-2017, 21:13
link dead. item removed, might be a dodgy listing.

farflungstar
16-05-2017, 21:14
Really? I can see it. But they're not right.

jusbe
16-05-2017, 22:17
Really? I can see it. But they're not right.

Don't know like any version of the Isophon Orchester I've seen.

Ari
24-05-2017, 12:18
I was wondering whether or not you had come to any conclusion as to the speakers you want . So many beautiful drivers !

The other driver I can think of is Decware inhouse field coil driver - although I think there may be a waiting list for those .

Sherwood
24-05-2017, 13:28
I see that Divine Audio have a pair of the Omega Super Alnico Monitors on demo. I may be in their area soon so the temptation to check how they sound compared to my Super 7 Alnico monitor is great. The only thing that puts me off is the price for the dedicated stands for the SAMs.

Geoff

farflungstar
24-05-2017, 13:32
I'm between Omega SAM alnico jobbies and JMR Offrandes (yes I know, not single driver).