PDA

View Full Version : New ATC SCM-300SL Magnolia Burr Finish on special discount now only £29,999

MAD
15-01-2010, 23:51
A customer of mine changed his mind in color, so he pay more than £7k on your behalf (Original price £37211). It is 100% brand new in it's sealed box, it comes with full 6 years guarantee, prestige, envy, jealousy and the very very best sound in the high fidelity world. At this price you cannot get anything better than this!

http://image.moazine.com/VCover/Acover/000171/0000224997.jpg

bhasi
16-01-2010, 10:32
Sorry for this time-wasting, tyre-kicking question but: what sort of room size would these need?

DSJR
16-01-2010, 15:24
Marco's size room would do nicely I think, but these bloody things would be very difficult to live with for a multitude of reasons - and I'm not talking sound quality either. They're huge, they're almost impossible to move by one person and they are NOT an easy listen either, demanding FULL concentration in the music on offer. Any form of "character" anciliaries will be reproduced ruthlessly for the charlatans they are, although REALLY GOOD vinyl should be ok, just a bit shrunken perhaps depending on the particular record played..

In some ways, I'd rather have the studio version, as the mid and tweeter dome will still be too high for a typical UK large room (you're supposed to be on axis with the mid dome at least IIRC).

But yeah, a speaker like this should show a very clean pair of heels to practically everything else available on the domestic market (the 200A's blew my 100A's away, due to the far greater power available and twin bass units doubling the bass efficiency).

Hope they go to a good home ;)

bhasi
16-01-2010, 17:52
Thanks for that, Dave. I was curious as I've recently been reading about the Tannoy Westminster Royal SE's, having seen a hilarious advert in Fedelta' del Suono showing them (or, rather, one) in situ in what looks like a stately home (the photo's on the website). The manual is very health & safety-conscious, specifying how you need either three or five people to move them!

I imagine these ATC's would be quite good for reproducing pipe organs - and everything else - in the right room with the right ancilliaries. Plus your room wouldn't need to resemble a Pall Mall club to match them!

hifi_dave
16-01-2010, 19:34
I'd rather go with the Westminster's, vintage styling and all.

DSJR
16-01-2010, 21:12
Ten years ago, I'd have worshipped ATC's to the very end, but today, I don't want my home music to be subject to such deep analysis, to be honest. I sold my 20SLA pro's and don't miss them one bit, excellent as they were. Those biggies demand the most care in setup and listening concentration and I suspect they'd out-do the Westminsters in sheer energy and detail retrieval and would certainly sound less coloured.

However, it's years since I had a quick listen to Westminsters, but I suspect they'd be the most entertaining to listen to for long periods.

Marco
16-01-2010, 22:29
I'd rather go with the Westminster's, vintage styling and all.

Now *THAT* would be an interesting shoot-out! ;)

JJ, good luck with the sale and I hope Esther and you are keeping well :)

Marco.

hifi_dave
16-01-2010, 22:42

Marco.

It's not a demo I could do in my dem room. Get that lot in and there would be no room to sit...:brickwall:

DSJR
17-01-2010, 10:09
You'd have to chuck the Harbeth 40.1's out too :(

hifi_dave
17-01-2010, 11:19
Now I've managed to lift them onto their stands, they're not going anywhere..:trust:

MAD
22-01-2010, 19:18

JJ, good luck with the sale and I hope Esther and you are keeping well :)

Marco.

We are fine, are you going to the Manchester Show?

Marco
22-01-2010, 22:13
Doubt it, mate. I'm a bit 'showed-out' after last year......

Have fun though and make plenty! ;)

Marco.