PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Hadcock tonearm

Wakefield Turntables
05-05-2017, 19:19
I'm after a unipivot. Anyone got a spare to sell on?

moodybuilder
06-05-2017, 06:29
PM sent

aertex
06-05-2017, 14:58
There was a HAdcock GH228 for sale on Stereonet Australia for AUD$430 just in the last day or 2...but it seems to have sold

Wakefield Turntables
06-05-2017, 18:14
There was a HAdcock GH228 for sale on Stereonet Australia for AUD$430 just in the last day or 2...but it seems to have sold

Thanks, looks like i missed another!

Marco
06-05-2017, 22:36
You'd be much better off with a Naim Aro... Would love to see someone fit one of those onto a Techy, as I suspect that the results would be sublime! Go on, Andy, be the first to do it...! ;)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
07-05-2017, 08:43
You'd be much better off with a Naim Aro... Would love to see someone fit one of those onto a Techy, as I suspect that the results would be sublime! Go on, Andy, be the first to do it...! ;)

Marco.

It's not going on the 1210, the Hadcock is for the Garrard 301 and only for use with DECCA carts. Sorry mate.

hifi_dave
07-05-2017, 09:10
In that case, look for a Nottingham Analogue arm of any vintage as they were designed to suit Deccas and they don't fall apart.

Marco
07-05-2017, 10:46
Neither would an Aro, although I know you were referring to the 'Haddy'... ;)

Marco.

Marco
07-05-2017, 10:49
It's not going on the 1210, the Hadcock is for the Garrard 301 and only for use with DECCA carts. Sorry mate.

Fair enough, but I wouldn't go for a Hadcock, as it's way too fiddly for its own good, even with the vastly improved construction of the new models. Why not keep it vintage and try and find a nice, minty Decca International? :)

Marco.

topoxforddoc
07-05-2017, 12:39
Fair enough, but I wouldn't go for a Hadcock, as it's way too fiddly for its own good, even with the vastly improved construction of the new models. Why not keep it vintage and try and find a nice, minty Decca International? :)

Marco.

The Hadcock isn't that difficult to sort out to be honest. It's also a fraction of the cost of an ARO. The Hadcock does work really well with the Decca.

Apart from a NA arm, you could also consider a Terminator T3Pro, if you don't mind the air pump and assorted paraphernalia.

tapid
07-05-2017, 13:05
The best sounding tonearm with a decca cart in 35 years of listening according to someone on this forum was with a mayware unipivital.
I never forgot reading that and recently bought one of Paul (Monty) to go with my decca s.gold and the results have been stunning, the old adage
of a veil being lifted from the music certainly applies here. Best £170 spent on hifi me thinks, and thy do come up on ebay for around 200 from time to
as well. Would recommend a think on that Andy. best wishes

topoxforddoc
07-05-2017, 13:11
Brian,

That's an interesting observation about the Mayware Formula IV. I remember these back in the late 70s/80s, as they were an exact contemporary of the Hadcock - better built, but perhaps a little less rigid, if my memory serves me correctly. Looked nicer too - very much like a modern Nima. The Hi Fi press at that time preferred the Hadcock to the Mayware for Deccas, but I'm sure that it would be an excellent match. Hard to find nowadays though.

Charlie

Marco
07-05-2017, 13:49
The Hadcock isn't that difficult to sort out to be honest.

No, but it is rather fiddly...

When I had a (cryo'd) G242 Integra, it sounded great when it was (painstakingly) properly set up, but I couldn't get on with how when adjusting VTF, using the rear counterweights, it would inevitably knock out headshell azimuth, then when you got that right, VTF would be a little out again, and so forth...

It's a recipe for neurosis, especially for an anal tweaker/set up perfectionist like me, and so one can spend more time fiddling than listening to music! :)

Good shout on the Mayware, Brian.

Marco.