PDA

View Full Version : The Mike New Technics Bearing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Audio Al
30-10-2014, 13:08
Hi Mike,

I've tried e-mailing you a couple of times through your website, regarding a bearing, plate and platter mat, but haven't heard anything back - perhaps they haven't go through,or you are on holiday, but can you confirm if you've received the enquiry?

Thanks,

Gareth

PHONE ?

Wookii
30-10-2014, 13:15
PHONE ?

If I there was a number on Mike's website, I may well have tried it, also given the time difference I figured an e-mail would have been preferred!

MCRU
30-10-2014, 13:16
Hi Mike,

I've tried e-mailing you a couple of times through your website, regarding a bearing, plate and platter mat, but haven't heard anything back - perhaps they haven't go through,or you are on holiday, but can you confirm if you've received the enquiry?

Thanks,

Gareth

Mike is ill see the get well soon thread

There is a UK stockist of bearings, base plates mats and all

Audio Al
30-10-2014, 13:16
Sorry , Did you know Mike is currently in hospital

Wookii
30-10-2014, 13:19
Sorry , Did you know Mike is currently in hospital

No, I wasn't aware, I hope he gets well soon.

Wookii
30-10-2014, 13:44
Mike is ill see the get well soon thread

There is a UK stockist of bearings, base plates mats and all

Really David? Who would that be then? :D I'll drop you an e-mail :thumbsup:

MikeMusic
30-10-2014, 14:05
Some bloke flogs the Mike New stuff in the UK, can't think who it is, he's not too bad they say

:D

Clive197
30-10-2014, 14:41
Yeah, I remember him. I think he's the bloke who sold me my Mike New bearing. :eyebrows:

MCRU
30-10-2014, 15:33
Yeah, I remember him. I think he's the bloke who sold me my Mike New bearing. :eyebrows:

Nice avatar Clive, are you popping by this weekend at the Windsor show?

Clive197
30-10-2014, 16:24
Nice avatar Clive, are you popping by this weekend at the Windsor show?

Hi David, don't think I can make it but never say never.

Clive

KONDO
31-10-2014, 00:56
Hi.it would lose big time,had tabriz zi on mine,and it wasnt as good, cart was rondo red,

Mike_New
04-11-2014, 00:31
Hi Gareth.
Yes I have recieved your emails but unfortunately I have been enjoying the hospitallity of my local hospital for the last 7 days.
I have had internal bleeding which put me out of action. No cancer anywhere but very small vessels in my intestine which leek.
So guess what!! I am going to have a pill-cam to locate the problem.

Canetoad
04-11-2014, 00:33
Best of luck Mike! :)

walpurgis
04-11-2014, 00:36
Hello Mike. Hope all goes well and you are OK. I know the feeling when things go pear shaped healthwise. Geoff.

Spectral Morn
04-11-2014, 00:56
Here's to a speedy and full recovery - God Bless

Regards Neil

Wookii
04-11-2014, 08:51
Hi Gareth.
Yes I have recieved your emails but unfortunately I have been enjoying the hospitallity of my local hospital for the last 7 days.
I have had internal bleeding which put me out of action. No cancer anywhere but very small vessels in my intestine which leek.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear of your hospital stint, I didn't realise you were ill when I e-mailed. Glad to hear its not the big 'C' though, I'm currently going through that with my Dad, and its not nice.

David has sorted out a nice selection of your gear for me though, so no problem.

I hope you get well soon and make a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Gareth

Marco
04-11-2014, 08:59
Hi Gareth.

Too much vino and good living, Mikey! :eyebrows:

Did you see this thread: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?34939-Mike-New-Get-Well-Soon

Take care and get well soon, amigo.

Marco.

MikeMusic
04-11-2014, 09:28
Good to hear from you Mike

All the best for a fix and full recovery

RobbieGong
06-01-2015, 13:22
Did anyone else see Noel Keywood's article in Hi-FI World ? He replaces the stock bearing with a Mike New bearing and gives his findings. The install procedure is also pictured.

Interestingly the article opens by saying (quote) that as the days of the turntable came to an end in the 1980's, Technics produced one of the slickest Direct Drive models ever; the SL1210 MK2. And continues to say it is monument to Japanese technology, that of the servo-feedback DC motor, but also a product cleverly pared down, Japanese fashion, to bare bones minima to be inexpensive. There's a lot on it that can be improved (as we here on AOS know only too well) and this includes the main bearing, say MCRU.

Anyway and to summarise some points from the article:

It says that the bearing did slightly improve sound quality by way of overall depth perspectives, bringing a smoother feel to images on the sound stage, which were set against a darker background. It also brought more solidity and stability to singers and instruments, firming the sound up to make everything a little more lifelike. The rock steady pitch stability remained so nothing was lost in this upgrade.

Measured Performance showed wow and flutter rose slightly from 0.06% to 0.1%. Their spectrum analyser showed a very low value of basic rate wow at 0.55% (33rpm), as usual with the Technics, but a flutter peak at 7hz that I have not seen before (quote).
It continued to say that in absolute terms the degradation is not large and I suspect subjectively of little consequence. You have to bear in mind that most belt drives measure around 0.2% IEC/DIN weighted wow and flutter. This makes the Technics look good by market norms, especially at the price - and degradation from the Mike New bearing is minor in this context.
Also, a discrete 7hz flutter peak seems unlikely to come from a bearing there is no mechanism that could generate such an effect. This suggests that stronger mechanical coupling between bearing/motor/chassis may be strongly transmitting a discrete vibration. Is this the flutter talked about with Direct Drive, making its presence known due to more rigid structure ?

An interesting article of which I copied some of as above from the copy I purchased from WHS. This is not the article in its entirety.

Noel said the MN bearing shaft was not chromed like that of the stock bearing which he felt was a tad disappointing. (Doesn't bother me in the slightest unless chromed has any sonic benefit?)

HFW gave the MN bearing upgrade four globes out of a possible five.

Verdict: A substantial but neat upgrade that improves sound quality

For: Easy to fit, well made, improves sound

Against: shaft not chrome plated, adds a little flutter

Personally, I think it is great that the Techie and it's upgrades are getting featured / reviewed over pages in such hifi magazines. Now for a feature with the MN bearing base plate also fitted :)

MikeMusic
06-01-2015, 13:58
Thanks Robert

Surprising a mainstream mag doing an article on upgrading a old record deck.
Think MCRU could be in for an order or two

Marco
06-01-2015, 14:15
Most interesting, Robert, are you referring to the very latest issue of HFW? Could you confirm exactly which edition it is with a date and number?

I ask that because folk sometimes mention about reviews in a particular mag, and I’ll go out and buy it, thinking that the review in question is in the very latest issue, and it turns out it was last month’s, and I’ve bought the mag for nothing…

It’ll be interesting to hear what Mike thinks of their observations - I didn’t even know an MN bearing had been submitted for an official review! He certainly didn’t mention that to me when we last corresponded via email before Xmas.

Marco.

RobbieGong
06-01-2015, 14:44
Yep, It’s Hi-Fi World magazine – FEBRUARY 2015 EDITION (down the spine reads Vol.24 No.12). The article starts on page 82. :)

Btw- The article refers to the bearing being from MCRU (Dave) so my guess is Mike may not necessarily know somehow.

Marco
06-01-2015, 15:00
Cheers for that, and yes, I’ve just found out that Brooksy was responsible! ;)

Marco.

MikeMusic
06-01-2015, 15:25
Cheers for that, and yes, I’ve just found out that Brooksy was responsible! ;)

Marco.

We probably sort of knew that didn't we
:)

Marco
06-01-2015, 15:30
I had suspected that, but have just had it officially confirmed.

Let’s hope it helps sales, and exposes Mike’s superb bearing design to any of the tens of thousands of Technics SL-1200/1210 users worldwide, who care about maximising their T/T’s sonic performance! :)

Marco.

RobbieGong
06-01-2015, 15:34
I had suspected that, but have just had it officially confirmed.

Let’s hope it helps sales, and exposes Mike’s superb bearing design to any of the tens of thousands of Technics SL-1200/1210 users worldwide, who care about maximising their T/T’s sonic performance! :)

Marco.

Yep ! and then there's the MN bearing base plate too ;)

MikeMusic
06-01-2015, 15:54
Mike New, billionaire and conqueror of the hifi world

(to be)

Marco
06-01-2015, 15:56
Yep ! and then there's the MN bearing base plate too...

And both his platters…. Really, what someone needs to do is submit a Techy, to HFW, with all of Mike’s ‘toys' fitted, including everything else needed to show off their (and the TT’s) full potential! Mine would be available for a small fee ;)

Marco.

MCRU
06-01-2015, 17:41
And both his platters…. Really, what someone needs to do is submit a Techy, to HFW, with all of Mike’s ‘toys' fitted, including everything else needed to show off their (and the TT’s) full potential! Mine would be available for a small fee ;)

Marco.

No need chief as we have now discussed this and it will be sorted!

Did you really want to chance sending your rather mediocre Techy to be reviewed in a worldwide publication! Meeoooow! :lol::ner:

Marco
06-01-2015, 18:08
:lolsign:

Yeah, best not…! :o

Marco.

Mike_New
07-01-2015, 02:42
Mike New, billionaire and conqueror of the hifi world

(to be)

I'm not so sure about the billionaire bit all I need is a further couple of million buyers, but I know I can make it.

MikeMusic
07-01-2015, 08:19
I'm not so sure about the billionaire bit all I need is a further couple of million buyers, but I know I can make it.

You just never know
I picked up talk yesterday at my place was how much vinyl is coming back.
Sales of all sorts to do with vinyl could take off.
Let's hope so

MCRU
07-01-2015, 08:42
You just never know
I picked up talk yesterday at my place was how much vinyl is coming back.
Sales of all sorts to do with vinyl could take off.
Let's hope so

I am seeing a steady increase in vinyl related sales from busy to really busy! As an example the knosti rcm, I sold 38 in december, I have to assume these are new vinyl collectors which is great for vinyl in general.

The only thing I don't like is all the punters phoning me who have bought Rega or Project TT's!!!!:lol:

At least I have Nick to help these punters get a better sound from their decks with his linear PSU's!!!

MikeMusic
07-01-2015, 09:01
I am seeing a steady increase in vinyl related sales from busy to really busy! As an example the knosti rcm, I sold 38 in december, I have to assume these are new vinyl collectors which is great for vinyl in general.

Oh, so they are *using* them as well as buying !
I imagined it was a lot of talk and an expensive ornament for most

Marco
07-01-2015, 10:06
The only thing I don't like is all the punters phoning me who have bought Rega or Project TT's!!!!

Unfortunately, the rubber-band brainwash runs deep…..

At least I have Nick to help these punters get a better sound from their decks with his linear PSU's!!!

Not even ‘magic electricity’ could save them! :D

Marco.

Marco
07-01-2015, 10:28

Mike, what do you make of these comments from the magazine review, in relation to flutter?

Measured Performance showed wow and flutter rose slightly from 0.06% to 0.1%. Their spectrum analyser showed a very low value of basic rate wow at 0.55% (33rpm), as usual with the Technics, but a flutter peak at 7hz that I have not seen before. It continued to say that in absolute terms the degradation is not large and I suspect subjectively of little consequence.

Have you measured anything like that yourself? What do you think would cause the supposed increase in flutter? If it exists, it certainly isn’t audible on my T/T… You have to wonder, too, if the bearing was fitted 100% correctly, and if everything else on the turntable they were using was functioning optimally.

Marco.

Macca
07-01-2015, 13:36
Mike, what do you make of these comments from the magazine review, in relation to flutter?

Have you measured anything like that yourself? .

You may recall much earlier in this thread several of us asked for measurements comparing the upgrade bearing to the stock and the response was that none had been done.

prestonchipfryer
07-01-2015, 14:16
Improves sound is one of the comments made in the February 2015 edition. Hi-Fi World article. It certainly does, and then some IME. ;) Perhaps Noel Keywood could review another well known bearing produced in the UK. Then compare them. Too much to hope for? Probably:)

Marco
07-01-2015, 15:35
Lol - indeed… I fear that NK and DC have too much of a love affair going on for that to happen! ;)

Marco.

Marco
07-01-2015, 15:39
You may recall much earlier in this thread several of us asked for measurements comparing the upgrade bearing to the stock and the response was that none had been done.

No worries. I just wondered what mechanism might be perceived for causing the apparent increase in flutter… I still need to buy the mag, but for those who’ve read it, does it say what PSU was used on the Techy for the review?

If it was a Timestep one, those can be prone to causing (even audible) wow, which is something I noticed immediately when comparing mine (when I had one) against a Paul Hynes SR3 that Hugo (Shuggie) was using at the time.

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
07-01-2015, 15:41
Lol - indeed… I fear that NK and DC have too much of a love affair going on for that to happen! ;)

Marco.
:kiss:

RobbieGong
07-01-2015, 15:53
No worries. I just wondered what mechanism might be perceived for causing the apparent increase in flutter… I still need to buy the mag, but for those who’ve read it, does it say what PSU was used on the Techy for the review?

If it was a Timestep one, those can be prone to causing (even audible) wow, which is something I noticed immediately when comparing mine (when I had one) against a Paul Hynes SR3 that Hugo (Shuggie) was using at the time.

Marco.
I dont have my copy with me at the mo but I'm almost certain it was a Timestep mentioned.

RobbieGong
07-01-2015, 17:33
Just got in and checked the article - Defo Timestep psu.

Mike_New
07-01-2015, 21:19
If a Timestep PSU was used for the review I wonder where the 0V connection was made?!!@#%??&*^$#
This could account for the figures. Cawley still refuses to accept that he is wrong in the location of the 0V wire, so everyone who gets one of these things is advised to make an incorrect connection to the 0V common rail, which could IMO make a difference to wow and backgroung noise.
Also many comments on this forum over the years have shown that running in the Bearing for about 20-30 hours improves the sonics (and maybe other parameters).
Probably DB supplied a "virgin" Bearing for the review.

Marco
07-01-2015, 21:38
Just got in and checked the article - Defo Timestep psu.

Hmmm….

It’ll be interesting to see what the results are next time with their Technics T/T, when an MN ETP platter is submitted for testing, along with a Longdog Audio PSU. I suspect that the ‘flutter’ will fly away! ;)

Marco.

Mike_New
10-01-2015, 22:16

Marco.

Marco,
When you noticed the "wow" where did you have the 0Volt connection? The Time Step PS is just your average voltage regulator with the usual components, however it should not actually degrade the sonics unless it has been incorrectly connected.

Marco
11-01-2015, 20:25
Marco,
When you noticed the "wow" where did you have the 0Volt connection?

It would’ve been wherever DC put it, as he fitted the PSU ;)

Marco.

Mike_New
11-01-2015, 21:24
That probably explains your observations!!!!

Marco
11-01-2015, 21:29
Indeed… And where do you think the 0Volt connection was on the T/T used for the review? ;)

Marco.

Mike_New
11-01-2015, 22:42
It could be any ones guess, but it was most probably in the wrong place.

Who supplied the SL for the review and who installed the bearing, was it run in for the generally
accepted 30hours.

Mike_New
23-01-2015, 04:09
HI Folks,
At this time I only have 1 bearing available for the lucky person.
I am evaluating the future production timing for the next batch of 25

Mike_New
06-03-2015, 05:42
Come on folks help me get rid of this last bearing, before I consider making another batch.

Marco
06-03-2015, 09:42
What about a special discount, Mike, to tempt folk to part with their hard-earned moolah? ;)

Marco.

Mike_New
06-03-2015, 10:11
The problem is Marco, you get to the point when it is not worth the effort making them any more. I never set out to establish a large margin since a large proportion of the cost is determined by my toolmakers, who have had to recently increased their labour rates and material costs have also increased.
With the current exchange rate of the Ozzy dollar against sterling (and the US dollar) the cost of a Bearing is no longer exorbitant
especially when you consider the original price was set nearly 5 years ago at $625.00 (it is now $685.00).
And about 240 happy users reckon they were worth every cent.
This is why I prefer to sell direct, as any reseller demands 40% on end user price. which magnifys the problem.

Marco
06-03-2015, 10:18
I know. I’m not talking about discounting any of your future bearings, just this last one you’ve got before the new batch, to get rid of it! ;)

A ‘one-off special’, as it were, for some lucky person :)

Marco.

Mike_New
06-03-2015, 22:27
Thanks for your interest Marco,
Rather I was attempting to gauge the degree of interest going foreward, were I to commit to producing another batch of 25.
Sure; at you sugestion I will offer this last one at the original price of $625.00 which at the current EX rate of 0.487 comes to only
about Stg 305.00 (and at only 0.744 on US$ the price is only US$465.00)
I guess the solid core of real and informed enthuthiasts for the SL has somewhat sadly thinned out in the last 18 months.

Tiff_Needle
07-03-2015, 01:26
Mike, how much would that be in euros with shipping to Portugal?

Mike_New
07-03-2015, 02:50
Hi Tiff
At todays exchange rate of 0.67 that would be about Eu420.00 add Eu30.00 for shippinmg I will cover the difference if I need to.
I have posted two or three to Portugal, but I cannot remember the exact postage rate.
Remember Paying by PayPal will possibly have differing EX rates.

Marco
07-03-2015, 22:56
Mike, how much would that be in euros with shipping to Portugal?

Go for it, Jonathan… Trust me, it will TRANSFORM the performance your Techy, and be money very well spent! :thumbsup:

Marco.

Mike_New
08-03-2015, 08:24
Sorry Johnathon,
A guy from CA US has sent me the full amount to secure it.
however watch this space!!!

Tiff_Needle
09-03-2015, 13:42
Oh, bullocks. .. let me know if you decide to produce a new batch.

Mike_New
09-03-2015, 22:21
Hi Bollocks, sorry Johnathan,
It's really amazing; when folks think that the Bearing will no longer be available then everyone comes out of the woodwork saying they want one!!!
Everyone seems to sit on the fence thinking they will buy it next month or the year after.
I have had to decline payment from 4 potential customers!!!!
So I guess what I will need to do is to offer the same deal that I did 18 months ago.
People pay up-front a deposit of $300.00 and when I have 18 takers I will commence making them. This worked last time but it did take about 8 weeks to get the money in.
Are there enough people out there to make this work again????
Please indicate your intentions.

Audio Al
10-03-2015, 06:39
Are you and (The Mike New Technics Bearing now at MCRU ) still a item ?

Does Dave still stock your products ?

allthingsanalogue
10-03-2015, 06:55
Hi Bollocks, sorry Johnathan,
It's really amazing; when folks think that the Bearing will no longer be available then everyone comes out of the woodwork saying they want one!!!
Everyone seems to sit on the fence thinking they will buy it next month or the year after.
I have had to decline payment from 4 potential customers!!!!
So I guess what I will need to do is to offer the same deal that I did 18 months ago.
People pay up-front a deposit of $300.00 and when I have 18 takers I will commence making them. This worked last time but it did take about 8 weeks to get the money in.
Are there enough people out there to make this work again????
Please indicate your intentions.

eeeeek! :scratch:

I'm now wondering after buying mine, should I buy a spare one? Would I need a spare? Will I kick myself If I don't? :doh:

ATB

Andrew, Norfolk, UK.

allthingsanalogue
10-03-2015, 07:02
Are you and (The Mike New Technics Bearing now at MCRU ) still a item ?

Does Dave still stock your products ?

No disrespect to Dave @ MCRU but I bought mine from Mike direct. It was cheaper and that was that.

CageyH
10-03-2015, 07:19
The bearing is so well engineered that I think the rest of the TT will wear out before the bearing.

Mike_New
10-03-2015, 08:10
Hi Folks,
Dave Brooks of MRCU no longer sells my Bearings. So all sales are now direct from me
this way I can control the price and sell where I want to.

Marco
10-03-2015, 08:45
Good news on the bearings, Mike. The problem is, mate, you don’t discuss them enough or encourage people to buy them: you just sit back and except the orders to fly in!! ;)

Like I’ve said before, you need to be more proactive, in terms of promoting your products, which means using your sub-forum in the trade room to advertise [hint, hint], offering special promotions now and then an incentive to buy, other than the fact that ‘it’s a great bearing’, and so will sell itself - no it won't], and more importantly, engaging with the membership throughout on the forum, particularly during discussions involving modifying the Technics, even if your bearing isn’t the actual topic of discussion.

In short, you need to be ‘seen’ more by members as a core part of the AoS community, not simply a fleeting visitor, who pops in now and again when he feels like it….. Take a leaf out of Stan’s book. As ever, merely some constructive and friendly advice, designed to help :)

Oh, and in some other news, MCRU has been permanently banned from the forum, for inappropriate behaviour and business practices. There will be an announcement on this in due course (probably tomorrow). Please don’t ask for details here, as none will be forthcoming. All will be explained in a separate thread later, where you will have the opportunity to comment.

Marco.

Mike_New
10-03-2015, 09:36
Thanks for the advice Marco.
I really have always tried not to appear to pushy as I felt this was not the thing to do but I will try to give myself a higher profile.

Marco
10-03-2015, 09:44
There’s a difference, Mike, between being ‘too pushy’, and laid-back to the point of comatose! :eyebrows:

Seriously though, as you’ve just seen, as soon as you give people a reason to buy, by reigniting their interest in your bearings, that’s precisely what happens: they want to buy…. So yes, a much higher profile here would be of more benefit to you, and to AoS. Essentially, don’t be so much of a stranger :)

Now, please, pop along to your sub-forum and ‘open your shop’ by posting there and introducing the possibility of a new batch of bearings, just as you outlined earlier.

Marco.

Audio Al
10-03-2015, 12:32
Mike

Also don't just promote your bearing , you manufacture a platter as well ;) That has sonic advantages :)

I am enjoying my bearing and ETP platter :D

Tiff_Needle
10-03-2015, 14:16
A best buy bearing/platter combo for AoS members would do wonders ;)

Give an incentive and let economy of scale do the work for you.

Just my 2c

CageyH
10-03-2015, 14:35
It will cost you more than 2 cents. :lol:

Mike_New
11-03-2015, 09:58
A best buy bearing/platter combo for AoS members would do wonders ;)

Give an incentive and let economy of scale do the work for you.

Just my 2c
Good idea Tiff how much would you like to pay for a complete package: Bearing, ETP Platter and Bearing Base Plate.
suppose I throw in the Base Plate for a mere $150 to cover postage??

allthingsanalogue
18-03-2015, 16:44
Thanks for the advice Marco.
I really have always tried not to appear to pushy as I felt this was not the thing to do but I will try to give myself a higher profile.

Hi Mike

How much would a ETP platter be with the brass weights, label recess and in exactly the same height/thickness of the original platter to the UK be? You can always PM me.

Mike_New
18-03-2015, 21:26
Hi Andrew,
The cost of an ETP Platter fitted with brass weights would be $1,150.00 inc postage.
I have not made one with brass weights for the last two years, people now only want the plane black finish.
I now use the standard 25mm thick blanks which everyone seems to be happy with.

Mike_New
24-03-2015, 03:49
Come on folks.
I have now got two deposits for Bearings from the next batch.

allthingsanalogue
30-03-2015, 20:56
Hi Andrew,
The cost of an ETP Platter fitted with brass weights would be $1,150.00 inc postage.
I have not made one with brass weights for the last two years, people now only want the plane black finish.
I now use the standard 25mm thick blanks which everyone seems to be happy with.

Hi Mike

But if I needed one in plain black (without weights and no label recess) so I can continue using my Oyaide Mj-12 mat (5mm) that I really like, how close to the original thickness of the sl platter could I get.

I'm using a Rega RB700 arm with already '3' 2mm machined Rega spacers and as you can imagine can't raise the arm much more. Maybe another 2mm and that's it.

I maybe I don't need the MJ-12 mat and can gain 5mm in extra height on the ETP platter?

ATB

Andrew

Mike_New
30-03-2015, 22:12
Hi Andrew,
The Standard ETP Platter is about the same height as the OEM unit.
However you will not require the Oyaida mat as this will defeat the whole purpose and sonics of the my ETP Platter.
All you will need is a soft silicone mat such as the one which Technics used to offer with the circular rings.
Incidentally that mat is slightly dished and provides excellent clamping if using a centre weight.

allthingsanalogue
30-03-2015, 22:14
Hi Andrew,
The Standard ETP Platter is about the same height as the OEM unit.
However you will not require the Oyaida mat as this will defeat the whole purpose and sonics of the my ETP Platter.
All you will need is a soft silicone mat such as the one which Technics used to offer with the circular rings.
Incidentally that mat is slightly dished and provides excellent clamping if using a centre weight.

Ahhh,. I see. That clears things up!

Now to sell some stuff and order the ETP! I'll be in touch soon!

What's the lead time?

ATB Andrew

Mike_New
30-03-2015, 22:19
Andrew,
The lead time for the ETP Platter is about 1 week as I have complete control over the machining process.
What I can do, is for you to pay 50% of the price now and the remainder when you are ready. This way you will get immediate shipment.
This goes for other folks who are considering buying the ultimate Platter to go with your Bearing.

allthingsanalogue
31-03-2015, 06:37
I'm just trying to sell a couple of bits to raise funds. As soon as I have I will be in touch.

ATB

Andrew

Mike_New
05-04-2015, 04:11
Come on folks I have comitted to producing another batch of Bearings as everyone wanted me to.
And it's Easter Bunny day so get yourselves an Easter treat and place your deposit for one from the next batch.

ChrisKemp
08-04-2015, 18:10
Andrew,
The lead time for the ETP Platter is about 1 week as I have complete control over the machining process.
What I can do, is for you to pay 50% of the price now and the remainder when you are ready. This way you will get immediate shipment.
This goes for other folks who are considering buying the ultimate Platter to go with your Bearing.
I will upgrade to ETP platter, but have to wait a little. I have done alot of upgrades in my system this year. But 50% up front and the rest later....

Mike_New
09-04-2015, 06:15
Hi Chris,
Are you sugesting that 50% is not good
Then make me an offer I love a deal!!! how about 75

ChrisKemp
09-04-2015, 07:02
Hi Chris,
Are you sugesting that 50% is not good
Then make me an offer I love a deal!!! how about 75
Hi, Mike. No-no-no, you misunderstood. I´m sorry. It´s a good deal, but I´ll have to wait. For me it´s still alot of money and my ears have not heard an ETP platter before either. :)

Mike_New
28-04-2015, 05:50
Hi Folks,
My toolmakers have informed me that when making the last batch of 25, they actually made an extra 20 shafts as they had some spare time on their
NC machines.
So therefore I am now going to complete batches of 5 Bearings untill the 20 have been used up.
At that point I will need to decide whether to proceed with any more.
I have had 4 customers commit to a deposit on a Bearing so that will leave one available from this batch of 5.
With this aproach people who want a Bearing will not have to wait an unreasonable time.
When the 20 shafts have been used then it may be a different matter.

Mike_New
04-07-2015, 02:27
Hi folks,
I now have 2 Bearings available for delivery from my smaller batch.
I have had a number of private emails asking what oil I use in the syringe supplied with the Bearing.
For the info of all it is a very thin synthetic oil and commonly available, it is not of any rare formula and does not need to be.

ChrisKemp
05-07-2015, 08:37
If you are serious about your SL12XX be sure to upgrade to Mike New bearing before he stops making them! Once he does you will miss out! I did not want to miss out gettiing an ETP and hopefully mine will arrive this week:)

Get the bearing, because it is that good and there is no alternative IMO.

CageyH
05-07-2015, 08:59
If you are serious about your SL12XX be sure to upgrade to Mike New bearing before he stops making them! Once he does you will miss out! I did not want to miss out gettiing an ETP and hopefully mine will arrive this week:)

Get the bearing, because it is that good and there is no alternative IMO.

:scratch:

It is good, but there are alternatives.

ChrisKemp
05-07-2015, 19:09
Not for me:)

Mike_New
06-07-2015, 06:23
Hi Folks,
Please Note the following:

Maybe I should have highlighted this situation earlier when it was first brought to my attention by a user (Mike) who bought what he says was the last Bearing from Dave B.
When he got his Bearing it was accompanied by a copy of my Instructions and stapled to the back of these was another sheet of advice.
This advised the owner as follows; and I have copied the words from the email sent to me by Mike the user as follows:-----

“They had the article from hifi pig stapled to the back of your instructions. I read through the lot. The hifi pig article makes crystal clear the need for filing back the solder wires to "barely nothing", he says you can't get them short enough with a nail clipper and he shorted out his on first go. So I guess I went overboard and didn't realise the damage I did until it was too late. Just blitzed it and was careless.” (sic)

I have no idea who Hifi pig is, all I can say is that the advice given by this fool is absolutely and totally uninformed and so stupid as to be mind boggling from my point of view.

Firstly, using a file, which by the very nature of the operation has to be almost parallel to the PCB copper tracks, is guaranteed to cut through other parts of the PCB.

Secondly, filing down the solder blobs to "barely nothing" will very likely result in broken connections with the coil wires Does he not realize that I took all of this into account when I set the dimensions!!!

Unfortunately Dave would not have known any better not being a very practical guy.

When I designed the Bearing housing some 5 years ago now I did have to adjust the clearance height of the Bearing flange to ensure clearance for the worst-case solder blobs.
I can only assume that this hifi pig fellow did not follow my detailed instructions in the first place or didn’t bother to read the Instructions.

In fact on re-reading the email indicates that hifi pig may be some sort of
magazine, does anyone know??

If these spurious instructions come to the notice of other Bearing users who may think that they should modify the installation of their Bearing. Please do not!!

Stratmangler
06-07-2015, 06:42
Here's the HiFi Pig review http://hifipig.com/mike-new-bearing-for-technics-1210-turntable/

Mike_New
06-07-2015, 07:15
Hi Chris,
I cannot reach the link from here it does not seem to be active, is it a review of my bearing in the magazine "hifi pig" ??
Where are they??

Joe
06-07-2015, 07:27
Hi Chris,
I cannot reach the link from here it does not seem to be active, is it a review of my bearing in the magazine "hifi pig" ??
Where are they??

It's an on-line only magazine, so they're not actually anywhere. I think some of the reviewers are members here at AoS, so hopefully they'll see this and comment/contact you.

Here's the relevant bit cut and pasted from the review:

'Now this is the important bit and the bit where I was always going to flounder. I could tell this as this section of the instructions was printed in heavy type in a “whoop whoop ignore at your peril” sort of way. On the underside of the circuit board you’ve got three groups of six wires which stick out of solder (see picture below) and you’ve got to snip these wires right back to avoid shorting once the new bearing is fitted. I used a set of nail clippers to do this and whilst I got the wire cut as short as possible this later proved not enough – in short I fitted the new bearing and ended up with a platter that didn’t turn due to the wires shorting with the new bearing. The trick here is that you MUST file each of the wires you’ve snipped right down so barely nothing protrudes – ignore this at your peril!'

HTH.

Mike_New
06-07-2015, 07:35
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the "relevant bit" I guess Dave B must have organised this.
If only he or the reveiwer had contacted me we could have discovered what the problem was if any.
Because the advice is rather radical.

Stratmangler
06-07-2015, 07:41
Hi Mike

The link might not work for you because of pathways through ISPs. We are on opposite ends of the planet.
All I did was Google hifi pig and found the HiFi Pig website.
Go to HiFi Reviews/Turntables Carts & Arms and scroll down the page.

Marco
06-07-2015, 07:50
Hi Mike,

Stu (from Hi-Fi Pig) is a member here, and posts as 'stupinder', so you can contact him if necessary with any info you feel is relevant :)

Marco.

Mike_New
06-07-2015, 08:02
Thanks Marco,
I guess if he reads my initial post on the subject he will contact me, hopefully through this forum so we can all undestand
where he was coming from.

allthingsanalogue
11-07-2015, 08:36
Not for me:)

I saw your Youtube video, how is it going with the ETP?

Andrew

Mike_New
12-07-2015, 06:18
Hi Folks,
Have just posted a Bearing to an Englishman living in tropical luxury in the phillipines.
So I now only have 2 from this batch.

Mike_New
29-07-2015, 06:00
Just sent a Bearing to a lucky user in New Zealand so I now have only 1 available.

Mike_New
25-09-2015, 00:41
Hi Folks,
I received this morning (my time) an email notification of a private message from an Alex A.
asking about the availability of a Bearing.
However I cannot locate the message. Perhaps you could repeat it here or try again.

Marco
25-09-2015, 06:36
Hi Mike,

If Alex A is a member of AoS, then just send him a PM :)

Is it this chap: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?37571-Technics-SL-1210-M3D-Upgrade-Project-Build-Thread

Marco.

Mike_New
25-09-2015, 06:53
thanks for the link Marco.
I could have PMed him but I thought it would be more informative if I
answered his questions here.

Marco
25-09-2015, 07:12
No worries, Mike. I'm sure he'll come on here and conduct his enquiry.

Marco.

Hydesg
18-10-2015, 03:50
Mike, would you give me a discount if i were to buy both bearing and etp from you?

Mike_New
18-10-2015, 04:01
Hi Marcus,
Yes I will give you a 71/2% discount if you commit to buy them now.
otherwise in a few weeks time it may be too late!!!

allthingsanalogue
18-10-2015, 18:12
Mike, would you give me a discount if i were to buy both bearing and etp from you?

Order now or you will kick yourself, i have and can't wait for it to arrive!

Mike_New
20-10-2015, 00:37
Hi Folks,
Just an update on what SL1200 upgrade components are still available:
Andrew has ordered an ETP Platter plus a Base Plate. and an audio enthusiast in Canada (Eric) has ordered a Platter for
delivery in mid December and has paid a 50% deposit.
Also David in the US is about to order a Platter and Bearing
And I have been assured an order for a Bearing from a guy in the UK later this week.
So the situation at this time is that I have been prompted to complete another 4 bearings from components still available.
Leaving 2 Bearings available for anyone who wants one.
I have 2 Base Plates available after supplying one to Andrew.

Mike_New
25-10-2015, 03:20
I now have only 1 Bearing available for delivery in Mid November.
Whether I make any more will be decided on the future level of interest.

kininigin
26-10-2015, 20:12
You have pm :)

allthingsanalogue
26-10-2015, 20:29
You have pm :)

Yo won't regret it!

Mike_New
26-10-2015, 21:59
Hi Darren,
I have answered your PM.
I have just noticed you live in Berkshire, I come from Reading.

kininigin
26-10-2015, 22:18
Yo won't regret it!

I have actually owned one before a few years ago but sold it to fund a snowboarding trip :lol: I only had it a few weeks but it was enough to find out how good it is! I'm now finally in a position to get another :)

Hi Darren,
I have answered your PM.
I have just noticed you live in Berkshire, I come from Reading.

Ahh really! I'm not from Berkshire originally but have been here for about 9 years now. Damn that has gone quick :eek: I live just outside Reading in Twyford

Mike_New
27-10-2015, 02:02
OK so Darren has just paid for the last Bearing.
I still have about 10 shafts left which were extra-produced by my toolmakers.
So I can if the interest is still strong enough make up 2 batches of 5 Bearings
After this I think that it will have to be the final hurah.

Mike_New
10-11-2015, 03:30
Hi Folks,
Just a note to those 4 people who are awaiting their Bearing.
The housings have been honed and the shafts fitted.
However I am awaiting the delivery of the ceramic balls from the US very painful!!
I don't know what the speed of overseas postal deliveries are like in the rest of the world, but in Australia they seem to getting slower every month.
It is only a matter of a few hours to set the datum distance and complete them once I get the balls.

kininigin
11-11-2015, 23:41
No worries Mike,i'm in no rush!

Mike_New
18-11-2015, 01:56
I have just discovered what the problem is with my ceramic balls!!!!!
The web site of the US supplier does not seem to recognise that when when the "country to send to" box
is filled in with a country other than the USA it means that the country might be International!!!!
On this occasion I did not mark "International" so they sent me an email the same day asking for an extra $10.00
which I immediately paid. That's when it all went pear shape. I got confirmation of payment but no one took any notice of it
and the shipment was suspended!!!!!!
It has taken me most of the morning to try to get the ..............people in the US to understand the problem and then I had to pay $10.00 a second time just to get the bloody thing moving.
Now they have realised and accepted my situation and are sending my balls by fast courier which is good of them I guess.
So I should have them by early next week.

kininigin
18-11-2015, 21:09
Always a pain when things don't go as planned! Still at least they are on the way now.How long do you estimate it will take to ship once you have the ceramic balls? I will be out the country in a few weeks,so may give alternative postal address!

Mike_New
18-11-2015, 22:02
It will take about 3 days to complete the four of them and post them.
I will post here when I have actually got them in my hands.
However it is Christmas season so in the UK things might be slower through customs.

kininigin
18-11-2015, 22:12
Ahh ok,well hopefully shouldn't be an issue but never know at this time of year as you say!

Mike_New
23-11-2015, 06:10
I got the ceramic balls this morning all 10 of them by UPS fast track delivery, so the suppliers did the right thing by me once they realised the situation. The Bearings will ready for postage Tuesday afternoon.
Thanks for your patience!!

allthingsanalogue
23-11-2015, 07:58
I got the ceramic balls this morning all 10 of them by UPS fast track delivery, so the suppliers did the right thing by me once they realised the situation. The Bearings will ready for postage Tuesday afternoon.

Hi Mike

I am using Paul Hynes Psu on mt TT. I assume it was okay for me to remove capacitor C1 from the main board as per your instructions?

It still turns okay without it.

Mike_New
23-11-2015, 09:00
Hi Andrew,
Yes as I said on the thread you generated about this, C1 is not required if you are using an external power supply
where the DC voltage is injected into the circuit onto the main DC supply rail bypassing the regulator. Therefore the components that are used to generate the DC on the PCB are not required.
However it could be argued that those people who are using the KAB external power supply need to retain it.
This is because the DC from the KAB is injected at the point where the AC supply is connected across the rectifier.

allthingsanalogue
23-11-2015, 11:41
Sorry Mike,

I didn't see your reply on the other thread!

This is an unexpected bonus anyway because I kept wondering if I should up the value but now I find that it is not used it's something I don't need to think about.

Thanks for your reply.

:D

kininigin
25-11-2015, 21:05

Looking forward to get the bearing Mike,been buying loads of vinyl,so itching to get it fitted :)

Mike_New
12-12-2015, 03:38
Hi folks,
I have received an order for one more Bearing. So I am willing to commit
to making up 4 more for delivery in early 16
Let me know if you want one

kininigin
17-12-2015, 11:53
Hi Mike,just letting you know your MNB arrived here and is sounding excellent,forgot how good it actually is!!

Mike_New
17-12-2015, 22:56
That's good to hear Darren, Just wish I could make a lot more people happy with them!!

MikeMusic
19-12-2015, 12:35
I'm still just as happy with mine !

Marco
20-12-2015, 13:57
Ditto... Mine is (quite literally) going nowhere, as it's permanently fixed the base-plate! ;) It stands, however, as one of the most fundamental upgrades available for the Technics.

I'm sure that a few sales will still trickle in, Mike! :)

Out of interest, how many do you reckon you've sold in total, worldwide, since day one of you supplying them?

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
20-12-2015, 17:45
Mine's done countless thousands of hours. I wonder how many revolutions that accounts for?

Mike_New
20-12-2015, 22:35
Ditto... Mine is (quite literally) going nowhere, as it's permanently fixed the base-plate! ;) It stands, however, as one of the most fundamental upgrades available for the Technics.

I'm sure that a few sales will still trickle in, Mike! :)

Out of interest, how many do you reckon you've sold in total, worldwide, since day one of you supplying them?

Marco.
I do not have an exact count as I did not keep all the records from the early days as I was not expecting it to take off the way it did. However I would say that about 300 have been sold world wide.
I have just got orders from the US and Portugal so I may be in the position to make 5 more which will leave about 10 remaining shafts before production will probably have to cease.

Mike_New
28-01-2016, 23:46
Hi Folks,
Following on from the above post. I received a surge of orders just before Christmas for 6 Bearings.
So I decided to machine up 10 Brass housings and to use the remaining 10 shafts that my toolmakers have in stock.
So I now have only 4 Bearings available for delivery.
And I sadly believe that these will be the last available.

mikeyb
31-01-2016, 09:40
If anyone is doubting the difference one of Mike's bearings makes to the the 1210, I fitted one yesterday in under 15 minutes and the difference is amazing, tighter cleaner bass, mid range more defined and the treble sparkles.

It's like looking out the window on a rainy day and then suddenly the sun bursts through and everything glistens and looks crystal clear.

Mike_New
01-02-2016, 03:44
Hi folks,
I have just received an order for 2 complete sets of upgrades (bearing, Base Plate and ETP Platter)from a guy in Broadway NY and so this now leaves only one Bearing available.
There has been a sudden increase in interest so If I can obtain 15 deposits as I have done in the past then
maybe it might be economic to produce another batch of 25. If not then whoever gets the last one will be the last one!!.

Read more: http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/1982/end-mike-bearing-technics-1210?page=1#ixzz3ystJ5oNS

Mike_New
11-02-2016, 22:48
Hi Folks
in the ongoing decision on bearings.
I have now received an additional 3 orders for Bearings and so I have decided that I may commit to making yet another batch of 25
Bearings if I can attract 15 people to commit to buying one on a 50% or 100% down payment.
The decision really is up to all of you out there who have spent much time thinking and talking about it, but have never done it!!

Mike_New
05-03-2016, 00:01
I now have confirmed orders for 5 Bearings so there seems to be an ongoing interest in them.
In fact there seems to be an increased interest in upgrades now that the magical and much hyped SL1200G has been assessed for what it is worth.
If I can attract another 5 customers I could be willing to take a gamble and make another batch.

dmckean
05-03-2016, 01:06
Mike,

Do you know if your bearing fits the SP-25?

Mike_New
05-03-2016, 02:03
No it can't do as the motor design is totally different

Cobra2
15-03-2016, 15:44
Hurry up and place your orders...! :cool:
I have prepaid, (this is my second), and realize the NEW 1210 is out of reach.

Arne K

Mike_New
15-03-2016, 22:43
Mike,

Do you know if your bearing fits the SP-25?

Hi Dave,
I did reply to your question in the negative.
However another guy asked me the same question a few days ago and sent me a pic of the inside of his supposedly SP-25
and it was indentical to a SL1200??? So I am now confused!
Can someone inform me:
Is there a model of SL-25 which has the same PCB and bearing design as the SL1200??

aniki
16-03-2016, 20:12
Can someone inform me:
Is there a model of SL-25 which has the same PCB and bearing design as the SL1200??

Mike,
As far as I know the SP25 does indeed use the exact same bearing as the SL1200.
The coil and magnet sections are identical although the pcb itself and platter are obviously different.
What I don't know and can't confirm is if there is physically the same space to permit fitting of your bearing but theoretically there should be.

Mike_New
16-03-2016, 21:47
Hi Aniki,
Thanks for the advice, In the pic I received the PCB is identical to the SL1200 and the bearing fitting is the same.
Could the SP25 have been upgraded with a SL1200 PCB????
To help those with SP-25s I am prepared to offer a refund of the price for anyone who wishes to fit one, if it does not work out.

dmckean
22-03-2016, 17:02
The PCB is identical to an early model (pre-1986) SL-1200 MK2 from what I can tell looking at pictures. I'm going to pick up a SP-25 at some point when I find one that doesn't cost a lot.

Mike_New
24-03-2016, 02:13
Hi Folks,
I now have 8 committed orders for my Bearing and need only 2 more.
I will then commence to make another batch of 25. I am taking a larger gamble than in the past, that they will all
sell in a sensible period of time but I guess it's worth a go.
I have been encouraged by many people who seem to have decided that they have discounted interest in the shiny
new model based on cost and specs. And now want to upgrade a SL1200 as many here have done.
The recent increased interest has come from people across the globe from Norway (3) to New Zealand, Spain and the US.
So now is you chance to take the plunge and secure one of the first 10.
Delivery time will be about 3-4 weeks.

rchinn
24-03-2016, 14:13
I can't join in for the pre-order. But I should be able to buy one of 11-25. Immediate spending is going to the ETP platter!

Mike_New
24-03-2016, 22:40
Hi Richard,
I would like you to buy an ETP Platter, but to be very honest you should fit the Bearing first.
I am sure everyone here would agree.

rchinn
25-03-2016, 15:54
Already said to Dave I would buy the platter. I understand the upgrade and value path but have already committed.

Mike_New
25-03-2016, 22:28
HI Richard,
Who is Dave??
You are making a mistake, in my opinion the standard bearing is not suitable for the much heavier ETP Platter.
The softer support material will quickly wear.

Marco
25-03-2016, 22:46
HI Richard,
Who is Dave??

Dave Brooks (MCRU)? Just a guess....

Marco.

Stratmangler
26-03-2016, 00:16
Dave Brooks (MCRU)? Just a guess....

Marco.

Could equally be Dave Cawley .....

Mike_New
26-03-2016, 00:33
I don't think it really matters who Dave is, If Richard uses it with a standard bearing against my advice,
then that is his problem.
In the early days I actually ran one of my copper bonded platters with a Techi bearing, and it
soon showed signs of deep wear on the bearing pad.
I know that the ETP platter is not as heavy, but the potential wear problem is not diminished.

Stratmangler
26-03-2016, 00:56
I know that the ETP platter is not as heavy, but the potential wear problem is not diminished.

Your ETP platter is quite a bit heavier than the stock item, so I'm inclined to agree with your comments about undue wear on a stock bearing.

Marco
26-03-2016, 01:23
Could equally be Dave Cawley .....

Didn't think he had stocks of ETPs.... :hmm:

Marco.

Stratmangler
26-03-2016, 01:37
Didn't think he had stocks of ETPs.... :hmm:

Marco.

He doesn't, and neither does the other Dave.
Dave Cawley did purchase a modded SL12xx that was advertised for sale on this and other forums.
That SL12xx had a MNB and an ETP platter IIRC ........

Marco
26-03-2016, 01:50
Yeah, there is that... That's something old Creepy has rather 'mysteriously' gone quiet with. He was supposed to have measured it and reported on its technical efficacy. If it was shit, in that respect (according to him), we'd have heard about it by now ;)

Marco.

Mike_New
26-03-2016, 01:51
Yes I believe it belonged to a guy called Littleboy!! who must be well known to many!!

Marco
26-03-2016, 01:52
Not to me, Mike. Never heard of him....

Marco.

mikeyb
26-03-2016, 08:10
There was someone selling a platter and bearing on here and on the Wam, I suspect that l that's who Dave is ;)

Hence the 'I said I'd buy' bit, sounds more like a reference to a second hand seller.

He still has the bearing for sale.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43797

Marco
26-03-2016, 09:17
Sorry, Mike. I don't know what you mean, or what you're referring to as "I said I'd buy it"... Are you trying to say that aniki is Dave Cawley? :scratch:

Marco.

mikeyb
26-03-2016, 09:27
Sorry, Mike. I don't know what you mean, or what you're referring to as "I said I'd buy it"... Are you trying to say that aniki is Dave Cawley? :scratch:

Marco.
Doh!

No I meant that Aniki might be a 'Dave' ( not Cawley ) as referred to by rchinn who said he had committed to buy a platter from a 'Dave'

Aniki ( Dave ? ) has just sold his platter, I just thought it might have been to rchinn.

I thought it was more likely to be a private sale rather than shop sale that rchinn was referring to.

Mind you this is all just theory on my part, and can be confirmed or blown apart once I find out Aniki is actually called, Bert, Tam, Gertrude or Aniki and not Dave lol.

mikeyb
26-03-2016, 09:36
I'm now thinking of just buying Anikis bearing and sending it to rchinn just to get out of this thread lol

Marco
26-03-2016, 09:40
I kind of get what you're saying, but sorry, I don't know who rchinn is or what relevance he has to all this... Sorry, I haven't followed the 'story' like you obviously have, so need to learn it from the beginning, as it were.

Marco.

mikeyb
26-03-2016, 09:46
I kind of get what you're saying, but sorry, I don't know who rchinn is or what relevance he has to all this... Sorry, I haven't followed the 'story' like you obviously have, so need to learn it from the beginning, as it were.

Marco.
Sorry I should have quoted the post I was referring to.

Already said to Dave I would buy the platter. I understand the upgrade and value path but have already committed.

mikeyb
26-03-2016, 09:52
In an attempt to get this thread back on topic can I just say that I managed to pick up a second hand Mike New Bearing from this forum and if anyone has any doubts about the difference it makes to the deck, then just buy one, you WILL NOT be disappointed.

I fitted my one in about 20 minutes, and that was only because I hadn't trimmed the solder stubs/tails low enough to avoid touching the bearing housing and had to remove the bearing and refit it. Oh and a few minutes wasted trying to work out why the bearing wasn't spinning. Fitting the platter solved that one lol.

I'm no technician, and if I can managed it then anyone can.

The bearing upgrade is highly recommend.

rchinn
26-03-2016, 11:19
I'm now thinking of just buying Anikis bearing and sending it to rchinn just to get out of this thread lol

Cheers! Happy Easter.

kininigin
26-03-2016, 17:21
Aniki ( Dave ? ) has just sold his platter, I just thought it might have been to rchinn.

Aniki's name is Adam and it was me he sold his platter to,just to clear that one up lol

Ants
26-03-2016, 22:23
Hi, does anyone have images of how close the solder tags on the PCB need to be trimmed back for the MNB to be installed to work correctly ?

Thanks

Anthony

Mike_New
26-03-2016, 23:09
Hi Anthony,
I provide a very clear set of instructions with every Bearing. I email these the day
I post the Bearing so that the customer does not forget about them!!!

However to answer your question, the protruding wires if you have some should be trimmed down to the top of the solder pads. This is a very simple procedure done with a pair of nail trimmers, that's all you need to do.

Warning:
There is alternative "advice" somewhere on the internet forums and supplied to at least one customer by a former distributor.
This advice says that the solder ball must be filed down level with the circuit board surface.
This is most definitely not required and is totally incorrect and very stupid advice.
I traced the origin to some forum in France which I could not contact.
If anyone here has further info then let me know as I would be interested to understand where the person is coming from.

Ants
26-03-2016, 23:13
Thanks Mike, that makes sense. I thought some of the things I read were not right - need the solder for the components to hold and also connect with the traces on the PCB

����

Anthony

mikeyb
26-03-2016, 23:14
I just used a small pair of wire cutters and trimmed off the little tabs protruding above the solder ball, try and remember to catch them all so they don't rattle around and interfere with anything later on.

Takes about 30 seconds to do.

Mike_New
26-03-2016, 23:58
Thanks Mike, that makes sense. I thought some of the things I read were not right - need the solder for the components to hold and also connect with the traces on the PCB

����

Anthony
Anthony,
From your quote above have you read alternative instructions, if so where?

Ants
27-03-2016, 05:58
Mike,

Just read instructions at http://hifipig.com/mike-new-bearing-for-technics-1210-turntable/
I thought what was written was a little ambiguous so I just thought I'd double check. There was also some instructions on the web edition of the HiFi world review Feb 2015 (?) but from what i recall it was less ambiguous - however, I have been unable to access this as the particular e-edtion is 'being updated' for weeks now.....A lot of the Hi fi World Magstand website doesn't actually work now.... frustrating

Anthony

Mike_New
01-04-2016, 23:54
Hi Folks,
I have received 8 committed orders for my Bearings and much encouragement from prospective buyers
to make another batch of 25.
So I have decided to go for it! If you are contemplating getting one then please do so now, as I hope not to still have the
remainder in stock 10 months from now.

Mike_New
03-05-2016, 04:06
Hi Folks,
If this works we should have a picture of the internals of my Bearing which I do not think I have ever shown in detail before.
I have not done so before as I did not particularly want to make it any easier for those who would want to copy my rather unique design.
However at this stage I feel I should give others a chance!!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/mhnew/Bearing%20Assembly_zps9h3exd9q.jpg

I will provide a detailed description so that the value of the Bearing can be appreciated:

a) The large left hand component is the rear or bottom base of the Bearing
b) The thin brass plate is the bottom support attached by the 3 4mm tensile bolts shown in the foreground
c) The triangular component is the coated carbide thrust pad which supports the Ball.
d) The black ball in the center of the assembly is of course the 3/8" precision Silicone Nitride Ball
This ball is fully floating inside the main shaft, and is located at the bottom of the shaft.
The 13.5mm dia. main shaft itself can be seen resting on the Syntered Oilite lateral bearing insert.
Note the counter bored hole to occomodate the thrust ball. The diameter of this hole is precisely fixed to allow the
smallest amount of lateral play and to provide the circulation of the special oil.
e) The cylindrical component with the flange at the left hand side and just behind the ball is the Syntered Phosphor Bronze
Oilite bearing insert.
f) The complex machined component at the top right of the picture is the main Bearing Housing. Machned from a solid
brass bar. Note the large rigid center column which occomodates the syntered bearing.
The Syntered bearing insert is a heat shrink and force fit into the housing to producing the maximum rigidity from the assembly.
When the inserts have been installed into the Bearings I then send them to my Toolmakers who precision hone each bearing insert
individually to fit the shafts which they have previously made, with a clearance measured in microns.

The shafts are precision machined from M22 carbon steel before hardening and Nitriding.
They are then polished to a surface finish of a few microns.

The whole object of my Bearing design some 6 years ago now; was to optimise the limited volumetric space available.
And to provide a Bearing with the maximum length and diameter possible. This I believe I have done.
When the honed and fitted shafts are returned to me I then machine the bottom plate for each bearing so that the Taper
is set to a standard position/height according to a master gauge.
The base plate, carbide pad and ball must be assembled for this procedure.
When all Bearings have been assembled and the end plates bolted and sealed with Loktite, the bottom base of the
Bearing is then filled with sythetic oil and sealed.
You can see the hole in the base through which I use a hyperdermic needle to feed the oil.
This hole is then sealed with a brass pin and the whole back end is then finish machined.

The whole design centres around the extremely high precision polished shaft which provides for exceptionally smooth
yet firm rotation. Something nobody else has has been able to achieve with all the variations which come and go.

I guess it would be evident to the reader by now, why these Bearings are the standard by which all the other offerings are measured
in both engineering quality and sonics which is the most important consideration.

WOStantonCS100
03-05-2016, 05:49
Hi Folks,
If this works we should have a picture of the internals of my Bearing which I do not think I have ever shown in detail before.
I have not done so before as I did not particularly want to make it any easier for those who would want to copy my rather unique design.
However at this stage I feel I should give others a chance!!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/mhnew/Bearing%20Assembly_zps9h3exd9q.jpg

I will provide a detailed description so that the value of the Bearing can be appreciated:

a) The large left hand component is the rear or bottom base of the Bearing
b) The thin brass plate is the bottom support attached by the 3 4mm tensile bolts shown in the foreground
c) The triangular component is the coated carbide thrust pad which supports the Ball.
d) The black ball in the center of the assembly is of course the 3/8" precision Silicone Nitride Ball
This ball is fully floating inside the main shaft, and is located at the bottom of the shaft.
The 13.5mm dia. main shaft itself can be seen resting on the Syntered Oilite lateral bearing insert.
Note the counter bored hole to occomodate the thrust ball. The diameter of this hole is precisely fixed to allow the
smallest amount of lateral play and to provide the circulation of the special oil.
e) The cylindrical component with the flange at the left hand side and just behind the ball is the Syntered Phosphor Bronze
Oilite bearing insert.
f) The complex machined component at the top right of the picture is the main Bearing Housing. Machned from a solid
brass bar. Note the large rigid center column which occomodates the syntered bearing.
The Syntered bearing insert is a heat shrink and force fit into the housing to producing the maximum rigidity from the assembly.
When the inserts have been installed into the Bearings I then send them to my Toolmakers who precision hone each bearing insert
individually to fit the shafts which they have previously made, with a clearance measured in microns.

The shafts are precision machined from M22 carbon steel before hardening and Nitriding.
They are then polished to a surface finish of a few microns.

The whole object of my Bearing design some 6 years ago now; was to optimise the limited volumetric space available.
And to provide a Bearing with the maximum length and diameter possible. This I believe I have done.
When the honed and fitted shafts are returned to me I then machine the bottom plate for each bearing so that the Taper
is set to a standard position/height according to a master gauge.
The base plate, carbide pad and ball must be assembled for this procedure.
When all Bearings have been assembled and the end plates bolted and sealed with Loktite, the bottom base of the
Bearing is then filled with sythetic oil and sealed.
You can see the hole in the base through which I use a hyperdermic needle to feed the oil.
This hole is then sealed with a brass pin and the whole back end is then finish machined.

The whole design centres around the extremely high precision polished shaft which provides for exceptionally smooth
yet firm rotation. Something nobody else has has been able to achieve with all the variations which come and go.

I guess it would be evident to the reader by now, why these Bearings are the standard by which all the other offerings are measured
in both engineering quality and sonics which is the most important consideration.

:stalks: Damn well nailed that shut.

But, a part of me wishes you would remove that picture. Those that claim they can make a better sounding, better built, better lasting bearing... let 'em figure it out on their own. As for me, glad I bought one these things way back when. Still works like the day I got it (and it's got a bum load of hours on it, now) and still sounds like... well, nothing really. :D

If any of you don't have one of these bearings in your 1200, yet... ...then you just don't have one in your 1200. And, if you're doing the audiophile thing, you are missing out, in my not so humble opinion.

CageyH
03-05-2016, 06:09
It's nice to see the internals at last.
Good luck with the future sales.

Mike_New
03-05-2016, 06:57
:stalks: Damn well nailed that shut.

But, a part of me wishes you would remove that picture. Those that claim they can make a better sounding, better built, better lasting bearing... let 'em figure it out on their own. As for me, glad I bought one these things way back when. Still works like the day I got it (and it's got a bum load of hours on it, now) and still sounds like... well, nothing really. :D

If any of you don't have one of these bearings in your 1200, yet... ...then you just don't have one in your 1200. And, if you're doing the audiophile thing, you are missing out, in my not so humble opinion.

Now you can all see why my Bearings cost just a little bit more than some of the stuff that people still seem to be only to
willing to pay hundreds of dollars for. All the "modifications" and "improvements" to the existing bearing are so pointless as they
do not address the single largest problem inherent in it's design.
If I were not producing these Bearings myself and selling them direct to the end customer, they would
need be more expensive in order to cover costs and overheads.

MikeMusic
03-05-2016, 14:26
Certainly can.

Thanks for showing those pics Mike

Mike_New
10-05-2016, 02:47
Hi Folks,
I am now preparing to post out 10 Bearings to lucky customers who persuaded me to make another batch of 25.
Some of these people placed their orders in mid Feb. (3 from Norway) and I thank them for their patience.
I now have a further 4 for delivery in about 10 days time, so if you are seriously thinking that you should get one, now
is your chance, as this may really have to be the last batch.
And you now know what is inside!!! (see pics on page 118)

Mike_New
25-08-2016, 03:57
Hi Folks,
Well I guess now that Ian Mac has discovered that it is to much effort in making one-off mods to the old OEM bearings that people send him. I am the last one standing that can offer a totally re-designed Bearing manufactured in batches of 25, that actually does provide superior sonics as 300 happy users will attest to.
However interest apart from sales, has now very much declined to the point where I must state that I do not believe that I will be producing any more. (*I know I have said this before!!)
I was persuaded to produce this last batch by 11 people who were happy to put down a deposit on one.
I now have 14 available, and I think these will be the very last to be made. A sort of late 2016 vintage.

CageyH
25-08-2016, 06:38
I wish you all the best in the sale of the remaining bearings, but must point out that you keep forgetting about the Funk Firm bearing.

Mike_New
13-10-2016, 02:02
Hi folks,
I have a small number of precision shafts for my Bearings, that are available to be made up into finished Bearings.
However I still need to purchase the brass bar, carbide pads and the ceramic precision balls.
I am reluctant to do this unless I can be sure of getting at least a few more users. As things are, sales for any upgrades to the venerable SL1200 are now very few and far between.
If I can attract another 5-6 customers then I will proceed to make up 10.
I will accept a pre-payment of $300 by PayPal.
Please make sure that you use the ‘payment to friends or family’ option, otherwise PayPal rip me off $25.00 for supposedly buyer protection, whether the buyer wants it or not. And the supplier has to pay!!!!!
I now do really believe that these will be the last Bearings to be available from me. Sad as it may be for the many people who have enthusiastically embraced my upgrades over the past 5 years. And the just over 300 happy users of the ultimate bearing for the Techie.

I can still offer my ETP Platter and Base Plates as these are totally machined up in my own workshop.

Mike_New
25-10-2016, 03:31
I must apologise Cagey,
I tend to overlook all those many people who have tried hard to emulate or copy what I did 6 years ago!!
There are always many snake oil salesmen who try to embellish their efforts by adapting an existing bearing to look like
the totally re-engineered bearing which I designed and manufactured 6 years ago. Before they thought that there may be a few dollars in it for them.
The funk bearing is perhaps an attempt to produce a bearing worthy of comparison with my design. Unfortunately it would seem that he waited to long to do it and has missed the proverbial bus as the interactive interest and enthusiasm for the venerable SL1200 has all but dissipated on a global scale.

The same occured with my original Alluminium Platter, the Copper Bonded Platter and then the ETP version.
I pioneered the concept (and method) that the ferrite magnet could be correctly orientated with the pulse generator, onto
my platters. And of course it was copied by others.
The only upgrade product that no one tried to copy was the Bearing Base Plate which would have been the easiest!!
I do however feel gratified that so many have tried to piggy-back what I have done in the past 6 years, so I will now move on to other challenges.

Audio Al
25-10-2016, 04:32
Hi Mike

Sorry to say this but you are beginning to sound like a record that has stuck in the groove

Nobody has exclusivity on any products , look at fishing gear , golf gear , cameras , the list goes on and on

In most things competition is a good thing , Take cars for a example , you could have a 1 million pound vehicle or a £10.000 car they both do the same job , you pays your money and take your pick

I have supported you as I had a choice and own both your bearing and platter ( only because I had the funds at the time )

I say hats off to all who have the skills re designing and producing hifi components , there is a market for everyone , the lower priced items fit in with some budgets and people will buy them , Some people are brand loyal ( as in cameras I'm a Canon man :) ) other will have used Funk products and will have been happy , some will think improving the std bearing is a upgrade and good for them , they are getting stuck into the hobby and trying these upgrades

Move on Mike , please except you will never have exclusivity same as Funk and Ian Mac won't

PS , I am still enjoying my choice :eyebrows: of bearing and platter > YOURS :) ;)

Mike_New
25-10-2016, 05:42
You are up early Al.
I think in your haste to repudiate my observations you have totally missed the point I was making.

CageyH
25-10-2016, 05:48
Mike,

Without your products on the market, there will be less choice.
It's a shame, but I wish you all the best with your future endeavours.

Marco
25-10-2016, 09:09
+1, and I would like to thank and congratulate Mike for all his work to date in producing the superb products he has for the Technics, which have succeeded in transforming both the performance of my T/T, and most importantly, my enjoyment of music on vinyl. Thanks to him (and Paul Hynes) I now own a turntable that, sonically, is world class!

However, Mike, I can't help but detect an underlying resentment of Ian Mac, and his modified Technics bearings (note that I said modified Technics, not uniquely designed from the ground up like yours), which he's offering our members at not much more than cost, and as such providing a valuable service for those who wish to improve the performance of the Techies, but who unfortunately don't have the wherewithal to buy one of yours.

If I'm right, then unfortunately that attitude, mate, doesn't reflect well on you. It's mean-spirited, smacks of bitterness, and trust me, is doing no favours whatsoever for your reputation....

The fact is, Ian's bearings are aimed at a different market from yours, and as such don't represent *real* competition, but what he does, he does well and fulfils a useful purpose, so you should welcome the fact that even if your 'heyday' is coming to an end [and it wouldn't be, IMO, if you marketed and promoted yourself more, but that's an old story], someone else is taking on the mantle of ensuring that the modified Technics is kept alive! :)

*That* is the important thing, when looking at the bigger picture, and also the fact that with Ian's bearings, more folks than ever are hearing better music from their Technics T/Ts. For that I wish him all the success in the world, and will continue to support him in any way I can, just as I did you, when you first appeared on the scene, as I applauded what you were doing.

Now it's time for Ian to enjoy that applause, so be gracious and allow someone else to have 'their day', and with it thankful for what you've achieved to date in designing what will for me always be known, with your bearings and platters, as the finest aftermarket upgrades ever produced for the Technics SL-1200 :cool:

Marco.

dmckean
25-10-2016, 17:28
+2 Mike's products are top notch.

The bearing and platter upgrades were pretty dramatic when I installed mine. It's been almost a year now since I did the upgrades and I've been floored at the performance I'm getting, music has never been as enjoyable as its been the last year. I now no longer need to focus at all on turntable performance and I can focus completely on upgrades in other parts of my system.

Mike_New
12-12-2016, 00:46
Hi Dave
thank you for your comments.
It does not seem like a year since I delivered the upgrades to you.
Now that interest has subsided somewhat, I have asked Marco if he can substitute this thread as the sticky thread for the Mike New bearing.
As I believe that with 120 pages and thousands of comments, it represents the upgrade efforts and thinking of very many competent and qualified contributors besides myself, and covering a period of about 6 years.

It would be sad and a loss to all those that may come later seeking help and info on the upgrades available and which they can do themselves.
if this thread were to slowly be lost in time.

Mike_New
22-12-2016, 03:05
Hi Folks,
Two lucky and discerning audiophiles have just received their Bearings in time for the festive season.
I have had 2 further enquiries and now have only 3 available which may be the very last.
I read with interest and amusement the magical effects of bolting lumps of brass onto a standard die-cast bearing which incidentally
does not have a a syntered oil bearing. It has just a plain piece of brass drilled and reamed to loosely fit the stainless steel shaft.
It is to my mind about like polishing the gears on the clockwork motor of a wind up gramaphone.
There is no rigidity of any kind to justify messing about with it, 5 years of experience has proven this.

Packgrog
22-12-2016, 03:15
You know, instead of passive-aggressively whining about someone else's efforts to serve a different price point, maybe you should just let the product and satisfied customers speak for themselves. These constant digs at users of this forum make you seem petty, bitter, and insecure in your own product's ability to fully compete. It's like if VPI got annoyed with U-Turn. Jeez, man. Give it a rest.

Mike_New
22-12-2016, 03:29
I do love it when people get upset!!!
I am only stating a few facts. as the informed and active interest of those over the past few years would attest.

Packgrog
22-12-2016, 03:41
Hardly upset. Your success or not means nothing to me.

I just find it embarrassing seeing a supposed professional so easily threatened by a diy project that they need to inject no-so-subtle digs into every comment made. It makes me question whether your product is actually any good either. You clearly have too little faith in it.

Mike_New
22-12-2016, 03:50
You should go and have a cold shower old boy, your sanctimonious observation really are amusing.
I am only offering opinions on engineering mods according to my past and extensive experience,
in order that others may be guided by my observations and save their money.
Just as in earlier times when others here made silly claims, obviously before you time.

Audio Al
22-12-2016, 04:35
Mike , You call it you opinion , However it reads like you are having a pop at the " Other maker " and trying to put people off Oh and I have 3 bearings left " So buy these instead " " They may be the last " how many times have we heard this in the past few years

Why not design a unique arm or a range of record weights or a cost affective arm / cart set up protractor ?

Move on Mike ;)

Mike_New
22-12-2016, 04:47
Hi Al,
It's good to hear from you again.
Yes that's my problem, I continually have to make additional small batches to satisfy those people who unlike yourself,
embrace the ultimate in Bearing precision and performance.
Do go back over the 120 pages of this thread to appreciate what I am saying, and the observations of the many other informed people.

Packgrog
22-12-2016, 04:53
LMAO! Jesus, you're thin-skinned.

Mike_New
22-12-2016, 04:57
Are you refering to Al or me??
Not sure about the Jesus bit I'm a non-believer myself.

Audio Al
22-12-2016, 05:03
Hi Al,
It's good to hear from you again.
Yes that's my problem, I continually have to make additional small batches to satisfy those people who unlike yourself,
embrace the ultimate in Bearing precision and performance.
Do go back over the 120 pages of this thread to appreciate what I am saying, and the observations of the many other informed people.

:scratch: Are you implying I don't have a MN bearing :scratch:

Mike_New
22-12-2016, 05:10
Hi Al,
Your previous post did seem to indicate that perhaps you did not have one of my Bearings.
If you do then surely that's got to be a good thing.
Of the now 320+ Bearings that have been delivered it's impossible to know all the names.

Audio Al
22-12-2016, 05:18
Hi Al,
Your previous post did seem to indicate that perhaps you did not have one of my Bearings.
If you do then surely that's got to be a good thing.
Of the now 320+ Bearings that have been delivered it's impossible to know all the names.

I do own a bearing and a ETP platter so yes I have supported you but as said you stance at the moment leaves a lot to be desired :(

Packgrog
22-12-2016, 05:21
*snort* This would almost be funny if it weren't so sad.

Your product may well be the best available, Mike. I had always assumed that it was. Many people simply cannot afford it, so a less expensive compromise has its appeal. The fact that you have always been so easily threatened by any alternative out there that you felt compelled to slag them at every opportunity (Applied Fidelity, Ianmac, Timestep, probably even Funk Firm) just makes you look bad. It actually discourages people from wanting to buy from you. It's bad business.

It's a pity, too. I liked that you made the spindle longer. Nobody else bothers with that (apart from Applied Fidelity which is no more due to cancer). I like some of the features of your products. They're just outside of my mod expenditure comfort zone, and your behavior is extremely distasteful and petty. A damn shame.

Mike_New
22-12-2016, 05:31
I am just telling it the way it is.
What happens when the brass insert in your modified bearing starts to wear as they all do.
will you put your head in the sand and pretend it's not happening??
If you prefer not to invest in a properly designed and engineered Bearing, then that is OK with me.
I am only trying to save people from spending their hard saved cash.
The vast majority of people who have my bearing have read and listened to what I have had to say in the past
and have embraced my advice.

CageyH
22-12-2016, 07:19
I would love to see a back to back test of all of the bearings, just to see which one was actually "ranked" highest.

Spectral Morn
22-12-2016, 07:58
I would love to see a back to back test of all of the bearings, just to see which one was actually "ranked" highest.

http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/25/02/2016/mike-new-precision-technics-12001210-bearing-foundational-magic-down-under/

My own effort in regard to the bearings.

I am not going to revisit this though, I am done regarding Technics 1200 mods etc. The whole project took years to do and a substantial investment of my own money, when companies couldn't or wouldn't supply loan items for review.

It was an interesting project, but at times frustrating. One set of items I obtained I could not review when the company making them ceased trading, another withdrew their consent to be reviewed, and there were other issues, problems which I won't go into again. Being honest this series of reviews was the most challenging I encountered so far during the time I have been writing reviews.

RobbieGong
22-12-2016, 08:41
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/25/02/2016/mike-new-precision-technics-12001210-bearing-foundational-magic-down-under/

My own effort in regard to the bearings. I am not going to revisit this though, I am done regarding Technics 1200 mods etc. The whole project took years to do and a substantial investment of my own money, when companies couldn't or wouldn't supply loan items for review.

It was an interesting project, but at times frustrating. One set of items I obtained I could not review when the company making them ceased trading, another withdrew their consent to be reviewed, and there were other issues, problems which I won't go into again. Being honest this series of reviews was the most challenging I encountered so far during the time I have been writing reviews.

I hadn't seen your review before Neil. Great work and a great effort

Spectral Morn
22-12-2016, 08:59
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I hadn't seen your review before Neil. Great work and a great effort

Thank you Robert, there is a Funk Firm Technics review and a Technics PSU review there as well.

RobbieGong
22-12-2016, 09:24
Thank you Robert, there is a Funk Firm Technics review and a Technics PSU review there as well.

Thinking about it I definitely read the PSU one which was also excellent. If I'm right you mentioned you'd have liked to have had the triple stage regulator modules at the time to test with Paul Hynes's SR7.
Again, that was a pretty comprehensive review of various psu's. A lot of work and effort - absolutely! and good on you, much appreciated.

aniki
22-12-2016, 13:05
Hardly upset. Your success or not means nothing to me.

I just find it embarrassing seeing a supposed professional so easily threatened by a diy project that they need to inject no-so-subtle digs into every comment made. It makes me question whether your product is actually any good either. You clearly have too little faith in it.

I echo these sentiments completely.
In my experience, there is nothing professional about Mike's products or his service. His products are hobbyist quality at best; by no means the 'precision' engineered products he claims them to be. The only decent part of his bearing is the bit he doesn't actually make himself.
I have previously owned Mike's products and used them at great length. However, (along with at least two other members of this forum that I know of) I no longer use or support his products.
His attitude to the competition is disgusting but in my experience not at all surprising. I am proud not to own anything of his and wish his competitors the very best.

prestonchipfryer
22-12-2016, 13:12
I echo these sentiments completely.
In my experience, there is nothing professional about Mike's products or his service. His products are hobbyist quality at best; by no means the 'precision' engineered products he claims them to be. The only decent part of his bearing is the bit he doesn't actually make himself.
I have previously owned Mike's products and used them at great length. However, (along with at least two other members of this forum that I know of) I no longer use or support his products.
His attitude to the competition is disgusting but in my experience not at all surprising. I am proud not to own anything of his and wish his competitors the very best.

:hmm:

Spectral Morn
22-12-2016, 13:20
Folks lets keep this respectful and lets try to keep heat out of it.

As I recall aniki had some issues which were not resolved to his satisfaction and that has coloured his views. My own views are that Mikes products are of similar and better quality to others after market Technics products, and thus I am happy to use them.

To slag his bearing off is grossly unfair. It is the equal of the Funk re fit and finish (though its a very different design and uses different materials) and better than any others I have to date handled and tried. The bearing is a wonderful bit of kit and in my system the best bearing I have tried todate. I have not had an ETP platter in my system, but I do own a metal one and it is well made.

Packgrog
22-12-2016, 18:15
I am just telling it the way it is.
What happens when the brass insert in your modified bearing starts to wear as they all do.
will you put your head in the sand and pretend it's not happening??
If you prefer not to invest in a properly designed and engineered Bearing, then that is OK with me.
I am only trying to save people from spending their hard saved cash.
The vast majority of people who have my bearing have read and listened to what I have had to say in the past
and have embraced my advice.

Here's a way of getting the same point across without coming across as petty:

"There is a flaw in the design of X. The brass insert will eventually begin to wear, as is common to that type of design. I have addressed this weakness in my own design. The price point of the less-expensive model has a trade-off in longevity."

No slagging of competitors, no demeaning of people who have purchased from them, no strangely defensive self-aggrandizement, while still conveying useful information about the differences in design.

Mikeandvan
22-12-2016, 20:03
Excuse me everyone but according to Mike New, 'the brass insert will eventually begin to wear', what part of the bearing is he talking about here?

Packgrog
22-12-2016, 20:10
Excuse me everyone but according to Mike New, 'the brass insert will eventually begin to wear', what part of the bearing is he talking about here?
I kind of wondered about that myself, given that most other comments on the stock bearing have only really been critical of the thrust plate smoothness and the tendency for oil to not stay in the contact point. But I find it more difficult to pick out the science from the opinions and egos.

walpurgis
22-12-2016, 20:10
I think Mike may have meant to say 'bronze' actually. I'd guess that would be the tubular collared bearing insert that fits into the brass outer housing. If you look at the photo, the insert has a slightly more red colour than the brass components.

Mike_New
22-12-2016, 22:00
Thank you all for your support, especially the kind remarks of aniki he does like me!!
The Brass insert I refer to is the central piece into which fits the spindle and forms the lateral support.
It is not possible to get oil to stay on the surface of a plain bearing such as this when operating in the vertical mode.
The oil just drains away down the spindle and out the other end, resulting in the spindle running "dry" after a few days
which is why I guess the whole bearing becomes loose after a while due to wear.

costerdock
23-12-2016, 20:34
Merry Christmas All - my MN Bearing is still going strong after 4+ years - I guess I'd better oil it.

Mike_New
23-12-2016, 23:12
Hi Chris,
You can place a few drops of oil around the top of the Bearing.
However to be very honest I am not sure how much of it will penetrate down the Bearing shaft as the
extremely closely honed fitting between the shaft and the vacuum oil filled Syntered-Phosphor-Bronze
insert is only a few microns. (1 micron = 0.0000001")
The Phos Bronz insert actually carries all the oil required.
Some of the earlier users have been using their Bearing for more than 6 years, I have been using mine since I first made it.

If I can take this opportunity to explain:

Sadly many people cannot understand that it is the closeness of fit between the shaft and it's "vertical" support
which determines how well it performs. The end of the shaft could sit on the Statue of Liberty for all the difference it would make!.
What the end of the shaft is supported by has little effect on performance as the platter cannot jump up and down
as it rotates on such a small support area. Think about it!!!!
What does matter is the flopping about of the shaft from side to side, pivoting on it's end support as the
shaft rotates. Which occurs when the shaft fit is less than tight and smooth as is the case with the standard bearing.

consider this: if the top of the shaft wobbles by as little as 1/10 thousandth of an inch; how much does the outer
surface of the 12" dia. platter wobble up and down by????? the math is relatively simple!
Also harmonics as the record is "played" will contribute to this movement especially with the standard platter which is "bell shaped"
This is why I constantly state that messing about with the standard bearing does nothing to increase it's engineering performance
in regard to it's suitability to support an audio platter.
I am sorry but what I state are merely facts of engineering physics.

Thus endeth the lesson.

RickeyM
24-12-2016, 04:01
The oil just drains away down the spindle and out the other end, resulting in the spindle running "dry" after a few days
which is why I guess the whole bearing becomes loose after a while due to wear.

:lol: :rolleyes:

Tiff_Needle
16-01-2017, 12:39
@MikeNew
Any ETP platter, Bearing and shafts available in Stock?

How much would it be for the full package (special pricing?) and shipment to Portugal?

Tkx

PS: I could be willing to get a second-hand set.

Enviado do meu SM-G920F através de Tapatalk

Mike_New
16-01-2017, 22:46
Hi Tiff Needle
The ETP Platters and Base Plates are not a problem, but the Precision Bearings do need to be
manufactured in batches. I do have 2 bearings available (which may be the last) and 1 Base Plate. The ETP Platter I will need to make for you.
I usually make 3 at a time so no problem.
Can you email me to discuss details.

Mike_New
03-02-2017, 00:01
What has happened to Marco I have tried to email him but it gets bounced back to me
has he gone on a extended holiday??

mindarelus
01-03-2017, 09:06
Is this special bearings as strong as the original one, because sometimes I would use my turntable as a DJ deck, only change the mat, with the DJ one. I use the standart stock platter.
So, the original is proven in time and abuse by many DJs and it's rock solid. My questions are:
1. Is the new one strong as the stock one?
2. What is the long term effect on the motor, after let's say 3 years of using the new one?
3. Is is a good match with the stock platter, because in reality, there are very good things, but when combined, just got worse.

Mike_New
08-05-2017, 02:19
Hi Dimitar,
In response to your questions as follows:
I have supplied a number of my Bearings for DJ use
1) My High Precision Bearing is very much stronger and more rigid than the stock one as the housing is machined from a billet of solid brass
And the shaft is machined and polished from carbon mollibdenum steel and is 14mm in diameter!!l

2) People have had my Bearings running in their SL1200s for up to 6 years. There is no long or short term effect from using my bearing.

3) My Bearing is an excellent match for the stock platter as far as the platter is able to perform, which is not great.
Over 300 are in use around the world.

Mike_New
19-07-2017, 01:50
Hi Folks,
It's been some time since I posted here.
However it has become evident to me over the past 4-6 months from private emails, that people who have moved on from the SL1200 are
stripping down their updated SL1200s and reverting them to standard before offering them on Ebay or else where. And are selling
their Bearings and Base plates separately. I guess they believe that they can sell their standard SL1200 at the going rate more easily
and also retrieve most of the money spent on the upgrades.
For those very few people who may still be interested in using my Bearing: If you locate a Bearing for sale on Ebay remember
to obtain the Installation Instructions.