PDA

View Full Version : The Mike New Technics Bearing

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Mike_New
10-01-2012, 07:17
The problem is Biff, lots off well meaning people see a potential to supply/offer an improvement/upgrade for a particular product or application, without fully understanding the engineering physics applicable to the intended improvement.

My Bearing is I believe the best designed and engineered bearing that it is ever possible to produce within the constraints of the volumetric envelope that is available within the SL1200 motor mechanism. In other words I just cannot make it any larger!

I have received numerous emails from people enquiring if I can design and manufacture a less costly bearing. Yes I can, but it would be no more than what other people are already offering. I set out to design the best bearing possible for my own application, it was more by accident than commercial intent, that my bearing was taken up by the SL1200 audio fraternity as being the only one to have if one is serious about really improving the sonics of the SL1200.

For my part I am comfortable with people buying the less costly options and being convinced (and telling everyone who will listen) that they produce the best sonics possible, after all not everyone can have the best.

What people do not understand is that the very flimsy die-cast alloy housing is about the weakest part of the bearing structurally speaking. And yet others offer some sort of a super duper insert into this housing, which in one instance that I am aware of would actually reduce the rigidity of the whole assembly. The mind boggles.

WOStantonCS100
10-01-2012, 22:33
What people do not understand is that the very flimsy die-cast alloy housing is about the weakest part of the bearing structurally speaking. And yet others offer some sort of a super duper insert into this housing, which in one instance that I am aware of would actually reduce the rigidity of the whole assembly. The mind boggles.

I had not thought about that. If the insert is less structurally rigid than what was there originally, theoretically, unwanted "side to side" motion could increase leading to speed deviation, more wow and flutter. Am I on the right track?

Too bad there's no MN option for the SL-1500MK2.

Mike_New
10-01-2012, 23:03
I had not thought about that. If the insert is less structurally rigid than what was there originally, theoretically, unwanted "side to side" motion could increase leading to speed deviation, more wow and flutter. Am I on the right track?

Too bad there's no MN option for the SL-1500MK2.

Yes you are correct in your observation Biff

On the subject of my bearing fitting the SL1500.
I originally owned a SL1500 which I purchased new in the UK when I was working there back in 1977. It is certainly possible to fit my bearing to the
SL1500 by making up a new base plate to replace the large arrangement that the SL1500 uses.

However I did not proceed with this as I figured that the SL1500 control electronics was not as refined as the SL1200 and people would not want to spend the money trying to upgrade it when the SL1200 represented a much better option sonically.

If there are enough people out there who want to use my bearing on the SL1500 then I could re-visit the option.

Mike_New
16-04-2012, 04:51
Hi Folks.
I now only have two of my SL1200 High Precision Bearings available from the last batch of 25, which I manufactured during the middle part of last year.

Sales have been a bit slow up to this month, when suddenly I received orders for 4 in the past two weeks.

As I did with the last batch, I will take orders and deposits of A$250.00 for a maximum of 12 bearings; before commencing manufacture and committing thousands of dollars up front to my toolmakers who make the precision spindles and carry out the honing. In this way I can reduce my exposure to the very variable sales climate, which I believe all suppliers of quality sound products are now experiencing, and at the same time retain the same pricing as three years ago.

Mike_New
02-07-2012, 09:24
Come on folks do it!!!
I now have 6 deposits for my next batch of 25 Bearings.
However in the last five weeks I have recieved seven enquiries asking about estimated delivery, sadly none of these people have followed up with their deposits. Otherwise we would only be 7 short of the target.

kininigin
02-07-2012, 16:21
I should be able to transfer some wonga,at the end of the week :)

Marco
02-07-2012, 17:05
Hi Mike,

Why not offer a little incentive? Say, as soon as you get all the deposits you need, you'll put everyone's name into a hat, and whoever's name is drawn out, will receive 15% off (or whatever) the balance owed for their bearing? :)

Just an idea, mate. In my experience, there's nothing like the offer of a bargain to get folk to part with their dosh! ;)

Marco.

kininigin
02-07-2012, 20:25
I personally thought his original offer was great,hence my enquiry,but if he was to go with your suggestion marco,i wouldn't complain :lol:

All i would say though,is round it up to 20% it's easier for me to work out :D

MCRU
02-07-2012, 20:52
Hi Mike,

Why not offer a little incentive? Say, as soon as you get all the deposits you need, you'll put everyone's name into a hat, and whoever's name is drawn out, will receive 15% off (or whatever) the balance owed for their bearing? :)

Just an idea, mate. In my experience, there's nothing like the offer of a bargain to get folk to part with their dosh! ;)

Marco.

or if so many order one gets it for free?

Marco
02-07-2012, 21:12
Lol... Well, that'd be up to Mike, but I think that the discount idea has 'legs' :)

Marco.

WOStantonCS100
03-07-2012, 00:41
Well, as long as Mike doesn't shoot himself in the foot with all the discounts. I think those who already have a MN bearing (and have experienced his product support) know it is well worth the original non-discounted asking price. The original discount is pudding. :)

Mike_New
03-07-2012, 08:13
Hi Folks,
Biff has a good point, you can get to the point when all the discounts offered in order to achieve sales results becomes nothing more than an exercise in self deception.
I had hoped that the substantial reduction of $100.00 for the first twenty people would have been a good incentive.
In the spirit of Marco's sugestion, I would be willing to offer a further 10% discount for the tenth and twentieth deposit. Does this seem reasonable??

Marco
03-07-2012, 09:23
Hi Mike,

That's great and much appreciated. I'm sure your kind offfer will help :)

Don't get me wrong, your bearings are worth every dollar of their full price, never mind the original discounted price, or the price with a further 10% off. I know all too well of their superb quality and how much work is needed in producing them.

The idea was just to get people's 'juices' flowing again, and to try and generate the interest necessary, in order to secure the remaining deposits you need to produce the next batch.

So, come on people, if you're *really* serious about taking your Techy to the highest level possible, sonically, then one of Mike's bearings is mandatory! :cool:

Just look at the difference....

The stock SL-1200 bearing (in flimsy cast-aluminium): http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2909/standardbearing.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/standardbearing.jpg/) The REAL deal (Mike's, in SOLID brass): http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4149/mikenewbearing.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/mikenewbearing.jpg/)

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1940/imag0395mz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/imag0395mz.jpg/)

It's not difficult to see how the latter would be so sonically superior, is it, if you understand anything about structural rigidity and controlling the effects of resonance/vibration?

Marco.

P.S More info here: http://www.mikenewaudio.com/bearing.php

Mike_New
05-07-2012, 00:23
Come on folks do it!!!
I now have 6 deposits for my next batch of 25 Bearings.
However in the last five weeks I have recieved seven enquiries asking about estimated delivery, sadly none of these people have followed up with their deposits. Otherwise we would only be 7 short of the target.

We are making progress got another deposit from a Techi enthusiast
in Quebec. So we now have 7 deposits.

kininigin
18-07-2012, 15:00
I have now paid my deposit for a bearing,really looking forward to hearing this upgrade :D

Mike_New
18-07-2012, 23:13
Thanks Kininigin,
Got your deposit fo a Bearing this morning my time. we now have a total of eight deposits.

kininigin
19-07-2012, 21:52
Is it a minimum of 20 deposits,before you can start machining the bearings?

I'm getting impatient allready :lol:

Mike_New
19-07-2012, 23:55
Hi Kininigin,
Yes it is twenty, if only all the people who have asked me about delivery had placed their deposits by now we would have about fifteen already. Only this morning before replying to this, I recieved an enquiry as to delivery.

Mike_New
27-07-2012, 06:28
Come on people, the glass is half full, we only need another 10 depoits to make things happen.

kininigin
30-07-2012, 23:01
Yeah come on,would be nice to get it before christmas :D

Mike_New
05-08-2012, 01:53
Just got a payment in full for a bearing. This counts as two deposits
so now we only require 8 more.

kininigin
06-08-2012, 15:37
Just got a payment in full for a bearing. This counts as two deposits
so now we only require 8 more.

That being the case,i would have paid in full when i paid.I've just bought a SBT now :doh:

I'll settle up after the bank holiday :)

MartinT
10-08-2012, 08:01
Just for clarification, since I have received a concerned PM as a result of some posts on PFM, there is no need to change the oil depending on which platter you intend to use. Mike's bearing will work as delivered with all platters. To quote Mike directly:

My bearing is supported by a silicon nitride ball which runs in a well of special synthetic lubricant with extreme pressure additives.

Beechwoods
10-08-2012, 08:18
Those PFM posts hardly came from an impartial source. Bear that in mind people.

MikeMusic
10-08-2012, 08:20
Those PFM posts hardly came from an impartial source. Bear that in mind people.

Tell me more
Linn bias ?

johnB
10-08-2012, 08:26
can someone summarise (or point me toward info)
1.benefit to 1200,
2. Issues around installation (what's involved?)
3. Price....and Mike's current quantity deal.
Cheers all
john

MartinT
10-08-2012, 08:39
1.benefit to 1200,
2. Issues around installation (what's involved?)

Start with my post #7
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=94839&postcount=7

johnB
10-08-2012, 09:20
Thanks Martin....bearing in mind I'm a techno-pleb(can't be good at everything!!) "18 small pieces of wire that need trimming back onto the circuit board. Some PCB connectors need to be removed to gain good access"....fills me with fear.
In reality if my expertise stretches to changing a plug would I need to get "some help" on installation if I go with his bearing?
Cheers
John

MikeMusic
10-08-2012, 09:28
Thanks Martin....bearing in mind I'm a techno-pleb(can't be good at everything!!) "18 small pieces of wire that need trimming back onto the circuit board. Some PCB connectors need to be removed to gain good access"....fills me with fear.
In reality if my expertise stretches to changing a plug would I need to get "some help" on installation if I go with his bearing?
Cheers
John
Doesn't fill me with fear but I know there are people who can do it much faster and better than I can

MartinT
10-08-2012, 09:55
John & Mike - if you're in any doubt, don't try it yourself. There are people who can, and you risk destroying the main circuit board if you get it wrong.

sq225917
10-08-2012, 10:16
Dave Cawley really does go out of his way to try and install a little bit of fear, uncertainty and doubt into anyone who owns products from his competitors. He really is an utter POS isn't he.

MikeMusic
10-08-2012, 10:20
Dave Cawley really does go out of his way to try and install a little bit of fear, uncertainty and doubt into anyone who owns products from his competitors. He really is an utter POS isn't he.

Don't think I know the gentleman
(Although I do forget people I don't want to know rapidly)

chris@panteg
10-08-2012, 10:25

He's been described to me as a Tealeaf and the so and so in the HiFi trade by two respected men in the industry , I was taken in by him at 1st but by Jove I've been enlightened . No interest in a Mike New bearing though .

MikeMusic
10-08-2012, 10:34
He's been described to me as a Tealeaf and the biggest crook in the HiFi trade by two respected men in the industry , I was taken in by him at 1st but by Jove I've been enlightened . No interest in a Mike New bearing though .

Oooh

Why are you not interested in a MN bearing ?

chris@panteg
10-08-2012, 10:41
Oooh

Why are you not interested in a MN bearing ?

Too expensive for me and I feel the VA modified OEM is perfectly good enough , especially as I have the VA Platter and PSU ! Synergy at work I guess.

MikeMusic
10-08-2012, 10:43
Too expensive for me and I feel the VA modified OEM is perfectly good enough , especially as I have the VA Platter and PSU ! Synergy at work I guess.
Ta

Must get that system back working !!!!!!!

Mike_New
10-08-2012, 11:12
He's been described to me as a Tealeaf and the biggest crook in the HiFi trade by two respected men in the industry , I was taken in by him at 1st but by Jove I've been enlightened . No interest in a Mike New bearing though .

Go on Chris you know you really want to.

chris@panteg
10-08-2012, 12:32
Go on Chris you know you really want to.

Sorry Mike I'm skint and I just want my 740A back ! God willing:(

Macca
10-08-2012, 12:44
Can't you borrow an amp off someone Chris? I'm a bit far away but you could take you pick here if you were in striking distance.

chris@panteg
10-08-2012, 14:31
Can't you borrow an amp off someone Chris? I'm a bit far away but you could take you pick here if you were in striking distance.

Thanks for the offer , my amp is being fixed , richer have loaned me a budget amp , which is ok but not a patch on the 740 .

Nigel
10-08-2012, 16:52
I fitted the bearing myself & found it a straight forward job. Much easier than say, installing a cartridge correctly.

MartinT
10-08-2012, 17:15
That's good to hear, Nigel. I found the bearing a doddle but then anything is after performing a) the bearing base plate upgrade and b) the triple-stage Paul Hynes regulator mods :)

WOStantonCS100
10-08-2012, 17:41

Prick. Banned from more than a couple forums. Stirs up shite wherever he goes. In my view, he's a parasite that tries to takeover everyone else's good idea/business venture. He tried to takeover one I was going to get involved in. Not here, pal. Needless to say, I walked away. If you're dealing with DC, ya better git it in writing, limit his control and muzzle his mouth. Oh yeah, and be ready for threats of legal action for saying "boo" to him. Prick.

synsei
10-08-2012, 17:47
I guess you don't like DC then Biff... :lol:

Beechwoods
11-08-2012, 08:10
I appreciate the depth of feeling here but can I ask that we keep any further discussion about DC off the forum. Please let's get back on topic. There's enough coverage of this issue elsewhere. Thank you.

Mike_New
11-08-2012, 08:46
That's good to hear, Nigel. I found the bearing a doddle but then anything is after performing a) the bearing base plate upgrade and b) the triple-stage Paul Hynes regulator mods :)

Hi Martin,
Remember the installation of my bearing Base Plate is now very straight forward and easy now that we are using High Strength Epoxy to secure the Bae Plate to the chassis. This requires no drilling at all and can be installed by only removing the PCB

MartinT
11-08-2012, 11:13
Yes, I'd forgotten that Mike. Mine was an early one! Ok, bearing base plate reduced to the rank of bearing fitment ;)

MikeMusic
11-08-2012, 12:02
Yes, I'd forgotten that Mike. Mine was an early one! Ok, bearing base plate reduced to the rank of bearing fitment ;)
How Muppet proof is that ?

MartinT
11-08-2012, 12:25
It still needs steady nerves and patience. If you can do DIY, then fine.

MikeMusic
11-08-2012, 12:47
It still needs steady nerves and patience. If you can do DIY, then fine.

Give me patience - and make it *soon* !
:)

Guess as to how long ?

WOStantonCS100
11-08-2012, 16:20
I appreciate the depth of feeling here but can I ask that we keep any further discussion about DC off the forum. Please let's get back on topic. There's enough coverage of this issue elsewhere. Thank you.

Yes, certainly...

Mike_New
19-08-2012, 02:35
Got another deposit from Sven so now we only need another eight.

kininigin
07-09-2012, 13:54
I intend to fully pay up for the mike new bearing within a couple of weeks.Will anyone else be doing the same anytime soon?

I'll be working in france next year and would like to get the bearing before christmas if possible.

So come on you lot,get ya wonga out and lets have 20 (21 including mike) happy people with new bearings.

:cool:

kininigin
12-09-2012, 08:43
Mike,how long does it take to machine one of your bearings?

I would really like to get it before christmas,is there any chance you could 'chase up' those who have paid a deposit and see if they are able to fully pay up,to set the wheels in motion?

Mike_New
12-09-2012, 11:19
Hi Kininigin,
It is not a single case of machining one bearing in isolation, firstly, the 25 very high precision shafts have to be rough machined from stock bar. They are then precision ground and sent out for Gas Nitriding, they are then polished and graded for size in units of 0.001mm. before the bearing housings, which I machine; are precision honed and matched to each shaft by hand. These process’s can only be done in batches, as the lathes and grinding machines and honing units must be very finely adjusted for the one particular job which takes many hours of production time.
The costs for all the above must be paid by me before a production slot is committed. The obvious reason for this is that if I defaulted on payment then the shafts would be of no bloody good to anyone else.

The alternative is possibly that if all those that have paid a deposit are willing to revert to the standard price and to pay the balance now, Then I will at least be in the position where I will not have too much advanced cash tied up in Bearings on the shelf waiting to find customers.
This is my biggest concern in these economic times as I am sure others who are reading this will agree.
It would take approx 4 weeks from my payment date.

kininigin
12-09-2012, 16:39
Thanks for the clarification on the bearing process mike.

I'd be suprised if everyone went for the pay original price option,i would myself,if i hadn't just buggered one of my speakers :doh:

Looks like i'll just have to try and pester everyone with reminders for a couple of months :lol:

Sonority
19-09-2012, 10:37
Darren & all -
I have also emailed Mike recently to see if there is anything that can be done, but business is business and at this moment in time??

I am also going to be doing as Darren has and transferring in full the amount O/S and also order another one for the second project I have running. I was not going to do this until the new year, but feel that it would help out here and now far more.

With Darrens this will be the equivalent of 4 deposits - and as time is moving on and the machining slot must be getting close - if a few more (5 or 6?) do the same it would be a benefit to everyone here and also set Mike free.

Cheers.

kininigin
19-09-2012, 11:08
Hi stephen,

Thought i had better respond to your post.As i have mentioned (elsewhere),i'm going to be in france from december and because of this i need to sort my finances out.

So i contacted mike,inquiring about a possible refund of the deposit,if he is unable to make any before i'm off on my travels.I didn't won't to be over in france and be the one,who might hold everything up,because i'm not able to pay the outstanding balance.Anyone who has done a season snowboarding/skiing will tell you,it's expensive and not a place to run out of money in!!!

Anyway,it may not come to that,as i may have enough work between now and then.I'm just not sure yet and will have a better idea in 2-3 weeks.

I'm also learning to drive and ideally need to pass before i go,so i need to get my priorities in order.

I was hoping mike would have enough money to go ahead by now and it's getting harder to justify buying something,which i won't be able to use till i get back anyway.

Mike_New
19-09-2012, 11:46
OK folks;
I am going to make the decision.
If all of those who have paid their deposit, pay the ballance now, ASAP, then I will go ahead and make the next batch. I will not take any orders at the discounted price beyond September 30.
The estimated time to deliveries is approx 3-4 weeks.

MikeMusic
19-09-2012, 12:24
OK folks;
If all of those who have paid their deposit, pay the ballance now, ASAP, then I will go ahead and make the next batch. I will not take any orders at the discounted price beyond September 30.

I've been lurking and postponing a decision, but now seems the time.

Mike
Can you let me know how you want to payment ?
Post here or PM

Do I get an extra special discount for being called Mike ?

synsei
19-09-2012, 12:31
Do I get an extra special discount for being called Mike ?

If so I'm off to change my name by Deed Poll ;)

MikeMusic
19-09-2012, 12:38
If so I'm off to change my name by Deed Poll ;)

Gowann you know you want to

Mike_New
19-09-2012, 12:58
No Mike, but you can pay me by PayPal
My account name is mhnew@bigpond.net.au
Please mark the payment as private as this saves me many dollars on commision.
This applies to all who are making payments.

kininigin
19-09-2012, 13:18
OK folks;

That's good,but slightly risky for you mike,is it not?

I'm not quite sure how many has paid what though.From my personnel pov,i need everyone who has paid the deposit,to pay the rest fairly quickly for me to follow suit.I'll give it a couple of days and then see where we are.

MikeMusic
19-09-2012, 13:54
No Mike, but you can pay me by PayPal
My account name is mhnew@bigpond.net.au
Please mark the payment as private as this saves me many dollars on commision.
This applies to all who are making payments.

Very happy to do that. PayPal rates are horrific
Can you confirm the amount please Mike ?

kininigin
19-09-2012, 14:12
Very happy to do that. PayPal rates are horrific
Can you confirm the amount please Mike ?

I am taking deposits of A$250.00 for my bearings by PayPal mhnew@bigpond.net.au
The total price is A$500.00 Inc postage.
I will commence manufacture of the next batch of 25 when I get 20 deposits.

This is from the original thread about the discounted bearing.

MikeMusic
19-09-2012, 14:15
This is from the original thread about the discounted bearing.

Thanks
I saw it. I remember it
Could I find it ..... ?
:doh:

nickbaba
19-09-2012, 17:14
Hello Mike - I have also sent payment in full for a bearing via your website a couple of days ago... Didn't hear anything back from you, and just now found this thread discussion.
Anyway that should be a little something more towards your production costs?
Be great to hear something back from you just to confirm that you have received payment and I am on the list for the next production run. Cheers.

Nick.

nickbaba
19-09-2012, 17:19
Hi Mike - It also appears I have paid the full price of $ 625 aud!
Can I get a refund in line with the AoS discount price??? :doh:
Pretty please? :)

The Grand Wazoo
19-09-2012, 22:40
Don't you think it's a bit of a cheek to ask that, Nick?

Mike_New
20-09-2012, 02:21
That's good,but slightly risky for you mike,is it not?

Yes I Guess it is.
But I am banking on the fact that everyone will do the right thing and make the final payments. I think people have been waiting long enough!!
I have already placed an order with my toolmakers and will need to make the full up-front payment in about ten days time.
I will now be down to one bottle of wine per day.

For your info I have only a total of 12 takers including a couple who have just paid in full, At least they will not have to wait as long as the others though. I have had one who got tired of waiting and asked me to return his deposit.

I have sent out emails to all those who have placed a deposit, requesting that they pay the ballance ASAP

nickbaba
20-09-2012, 06:55
Sorry - one thing about posting messages online to strangers, they can't always tell when you are joking!! :doh:
My first post was serious ( I have sent Mike the full payment) - the second post, about the refund, was supposed to be a bit of humorous banter...sorry if I have caused any offence or been misunderstood...
I am aware of the earlier post where Mike requested that people forego their discounts to help move the production process along.
Mike, if you read this, of course you are more than welcome to keep the full amount I sent you. I am happy to help contribute to the process.
No offence intended, and I hope none taken. Please accept my apologies.

Mike_New
20-09-2012, 07:33
Hi Nick,
There was certainly no offence taken or even thought about and you certainly need not offer any apologies. and Thank you for your kind offer.
My biggest problem Nick is matching Forum names with the names which appear on the emails I get. If I get them wrong occasionally I hope all will understand.

Mike_New
20-09-2012, 07:38
A happy Bearing user sent me an email the other day saying he was upset about me deciding to machine up another batch of Bearings.
He reckoned that if I did not they would appreciate in value to double the price on Ebay.
I have my own for sale any takers??

MikeMusic
20-09-2012, 07:56
A happy Bearing user sent me an email the other day saying he was upset about me deciding to machine up another batch of Bearings.
He reckoned that if I did not they would appreciate in value to double the price on Ebay.
I have my own for sale any takers??
An interesting perspective
I always assume there will be some minor improvement
- perhaps when you can get some unobtainium...

kininigin
20-09-2012, 10:55
Yes I Guess it is.
But I am banking on the fact that everyone will do the right thing and make the final payments. I think people have been waiting long enough!!
I have already placed an order with my toolmakers and will need to make the full up-front payment in about ten days time.
I will now be down to one bottle of wine per day.

For your info I have only a total of 12 takers including a couple who have just paid in full, At least they will not have to wait as long as the others though. I have had one who got tired of waiting and asked me to return his deposit.

I have sent out emails to all those who have placed a deposit, requesting that they pay the ballance ASAP

Well it looks like i'll have plenty of work up untill i leave,so i'll pay the balance in the next few days.

I hope this helps towards your wine consumption :glug:

Mike_New
20-09-2012, 11:33
It will it will!

nickbaba
20-09-2012, 16:35
Thanks Mike - glad to hear all is good!
Cheers.

Sonority
24-09-2012, 16:27
Hi Mike,
Done and sorted for two bearings :)

Cheers.
Stephen.

Mike_New
24-09-2012, 23:01
Thanks Stephen.
Only three final payments to go,
A manufacturing slot has been allocated by my toolmakers for the spindles and I have started work on machining the Brass housings.

Johan
25-09-2012, 14:54
If I get PayPal stuff in order, I would like to join. :brickwall::brickwall:

Gr Johan

kininigin
26-09-2012, 19:51
Sorry guys if i'm holding things up! Usually story for me,not been paid yet,should be able to pay sometime this week!!

SCUMM
27-09-2012, 19:47
Just paid in full. So that should make it 2 people remaining?

Mike_New
27-09-2012, 22:34
You are correct. two people remaining but this will not stop me preceeding.
However the price reverts to A$625.00 on Oct 1st

kininigin
28-09-2012, 07:53
The race is on,will i get paid before Oct 1st? Your guess,is as good as mine.

Place your bets now :lol:

Johan
28-09-2012, 08:11
If I get PayPal stuff in order, I would like to join. :brickwall::brickwall:
Gr Johan

PayPal stuff is finally okay. 1 bearing for me please. :)

Gr Johan

kininigin
28-09-2012, 08:18
I would really like to get it before christmas,is there any chance you could 'chase up' those who have paid a deposit and see if they are able to fully pay up,to set the wheels in motion?

Oh the irony!! :lol:

Mike_New
28-09-2012, 08:51
The race is on,will i get paid before Oct 1st? Your guess,is as good as mine.

Place your bets now :lol:

I'll bet you two bearings.

Mike_New
28-09-2012, 09:23
My Bearing Came apart:
A customer in Sydney came to visit me last week to collect his Copper Bonded Platter and Bearing, and I asked him to bring his old platter so that I could swap in the Magnet ring.

He duly arrived after some car problems, and presented me with his platter.
Ho Ho, sticking up through the top was a spindle!! Further investigation revealed that he had removed the platter by lifting in the normal way.
However the old brass insert of the bearing had become so loose (as they can do) that he had removed the whole centre spindle and brass insert complete with retaining ring (at the bottom).

Now this demonstrates what I have been saying for so long.
The OEM bearing does not have any mechanical strength, and in this case
it had weakened with time, sufficiently to allow the whole assembly to be removed.

The real problem is that removing and/or inserting another type of bearing sleeve as people have done only aggravates the problem by stretching an already very weak casting. So it is impossible to get the solidity of mechanical structure that is achieved with my totally new design.

kininigin
28-09-2012, 20:34
I'll bet you two bearings.

I'll see your two bearings and i'll raise you a platter :eyebrows:

Mike_New
28-09-2012, 23:36
too rich for me!!!

kininigin
28-09-2012, 23:45
No worries,it was worth a try :D

I'll settle up tomorrow,really looking forward to getting your bearing.

I predict,lots of listening from when it arrives,till when i leave!!

kininigin
29-09-2012, 09:49
I have now paid the outstanding balance.

Marco
01-10-2012, 17:41
Just in the nick of time before the bailiffs were called! ;)

Marco.

kininigin
01-10-2012, 19:39
I like to cut it close,keeps me entertained......I need to get out more :lol:

Mike_New
04-10-2012, 03:36
For the infomation of all those folks who may be considering a Bearing Base Plate, either now or in the future.
With this batch of Bearings, I have decided to expend a bit more production time and
have included three counter-bored holes to suit 4mm button head bolts.

This will now allow people to fit a Base Plate at a later stage in their upgrade path and gain the full advantage of the bearing.
The Base Plates will be drilled and threaded 4mm to suit the Bearings.

The Base Plates will be bonded to the chassis with expoxy as they are now being supplied this way.
This now allows anyone with a modicum of DIY skills to fit the Base Plate themselves.

MikeMusic
04-10-2012, 06:52
For the infomation of all those folks who may be considering a Bearing Base Plate, either now or in the future.
With this batch of Bearings, I have decided to expend a bit more production time and
have included three counter-bored holes to suit 4mm button head bolts.

This will now allow people to fit a Base Plate at a later stage in their upgrade path and gain the full advantage of the bearing.
The Base Plates will be drilled and threaded 4mm to suit the Bearings.

The Base Plates will be bonded to the chassis with expoxy as they are now being supplied this way.
This now allows anyone with a modicum of DIY skills to fit the Base Plate themselves.
Thanks Mike. sounds good all round

Marco
04-10-2012, 08:38
A customer in Sydney came to visit me last week to collect his Copper Bonded Platter and Bearing, and I asked him to bring his old platter so that I could swap in the Magnet ring.

He duly arrived after some car problems, and presented me with his platter.
Ho Ho, sticking up through the top was a spindle!! Further investigation revealed that he had removed the platter by lifting in the normal way.
However the old brass insert of the bearing had become so loose (as they can do) that he had removed the whole centre spindle and brass insert complete with retaining ring (at the bottom).

Now this demonstrates what I have been saying for so long.
The OEM bearing does not have any mechanical strength, and in this case
it had weakened with time, sufficiently to allow the whole assembly to be removed.

The real problem is that removing and/or inserting another type of bearing sleeve as people have done only aggravates the problem by stretching an already very weak casting. So it is impossible to get the solidity of mechanical structure that is achieved with my totally new design.

...which is why Cawley's Timestep bodge is a complete waste of money!! :exactly:

Marco.

kininigin
10-10-2012, 15:31
How are the bearings coming along mike?

Sonority
10-10-2012, 16:08
Remind me to never go on a long coach journey with you!! :lol: :lol:

MikeMusic
10-10-2012, 16:34
Remind me to never go on a long coach journey with you!! :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Are we there yet ?!

kininigin
10-10-2012, 16:45
Alright settle down.I wouldn't usually be asking,but i'm out the country in a couple of weeks,so would be nice to have a rough idea as to timescales,so i can make arrangements if needed.

I bet you all are dying to know as well anyway :ner:

Sonority
10-10-2012, 17:10
I'm willing to bet 5/6 weeks from start of manufacture + (whatever is req) shipping time.
Before Christmas should be about right ? :grouphug:

kininigin
10-10-2012, 19:10
This is why i'm asking,i'm not sure when he started making them!

Mike_New
10-10-2012, 22:10
Hi Folks,
I was going to post an update today, but you all beat me to it.
I have completed the machining of all the Brass housings from the blanks and they have already been delivered to my toolmakers for honing to match the shafts.
The shafts are in the process of being rough machined before precision grinding, Gas Nitriding and polishing.
I am hoping I will get some finished bearings by the end of the month.
I then have to fit the bottom plate and adjust for the correct gauge distance.
This takes about 4hrs/Bearing and is all under my control. (so I can work through the night if I have to)
I would like to run each Bearing for 24Hrs on my test bead, what do you think?

SCUMM
10-10-2012, 22:47
Sounds good to me! How much would it be to add a bearing base plate?

Mike_New
10-10-2012, 23:23
Hi Caleb,
The Bearing Base Plates cost A$255.00
Please mark PayPal payment as Personal/Private this avoids me from paying the commision they extract from every transaction.
I have just worked out how much money I have lost over the last two years, it is very considrable. PayPay is very fast and secure but the seller sure pays a price for this as the years add up.

MikeMusic
11-10-2012, 07:01
Hi Folks,
I am hoping I will get some finished bearings by the end of the month.
I then have to fit the bottom plate and adjust for the correct gauge distance.
This takes about 4hrs/Bearing and is all under my control. (so I can work through the night if I have to)
I would like to run each Bearing for 24Hrs on my test bead, what do you think?
I'd like the very best treatment for my bearing please !

Sonority
11-10-2012, 07:13
I'd like the very best treatment for my bearing please !

+1 :lol::lol: I'm happy with that timeframe.

I know what you mean about Paypal - and there are other ways, such as direct transfer from bank to bank via internet. Maybe not as 'safe' for the buyer, but I do find the rates Paypal charge amazing in this day and age, though perhaps not :(

Mike_New
11-10-2012, 07:42
Thanks for your opinions, although I guess they do not cover everyone. I will run each Baring in for 24Hrs unless asked otherwise.

kininigin
11-10-2012, 17:17
Do you have to run each bearing one at a time?

If so,don't bother with mine please.I would like maximum time with it before i'm off.

Mike_New
11-10-2012, 22:26
OK will do.

Mike_New
24-10-2012, 05:06
Hi Folks
Just a progress update on the Bearings.
The shafts have been finish machined and are awating precision grinding before being sent out for Nitriding and polishing. I should get 12 finished and honed sets back by end of next week.

MikeMusic
24-10-2012, 07:55
Hi Folks
Just a progress update on the Bearings.
The shafts have been finish machined and are awating precision grinding before being sent out for Nitriding and polishing. I should get 12 finished and honed sets back by end of next week.

Thanks for the update Mike, appreciated

costerdock
24-10-2012, 22:35
What ever became of the group buy - is that still around - I might be tempted to purchase a bearing.

Thanks,

Chris

Mike_New
24-10-2012, 23:50
Hi Chris,
The group buy as you call it, ended last month when I had sufficient deposits to enable me to proceed with the next batch of 25 bearings.
The Bearings are now available at the normal price of A$625.00
The interesting thing is, that all of a sudden there has been a flurry of interest and orders for some reason. Maybe everyone has decided the economic problems can be ignored.

costerdock
25-10-2012, 00:10
Darn - Thanks Mike I'm glad you are getting good business. I guess I'm going to have to save up for one.

Thanks,

Mike_New
25-10-2012, 00:50
Chris,
To help you out I would be prepared to accept a 50% deposit now to secure one.
As I have done this before without problems.

costerdock
25-10-2012, 16:36
Thanks very much Mike - I've sent you a deposit - I'm really looking forward to this.

Mike_New
25-10-2012, 22:25
Thank you Chris I got your deposit and will put one aside for you.

RobbieGong
26-10-2012, 17:32
Hi Chris,
The group buy as you call it, ended last month when I had sufficient deposits to enable me to proceed with the next batch of 25 bearings.
The Bearings are now available at the normal price of A$625.00
The interesting thing is, that all of a sudden there has been a flurry of interest and orders for some reason. Maybe everyone has decided the economic problems can be ignored.

Thing is people have to have a little harmless pleasure and enjoyment in life no point thinking about it when ya gone or nearly gone :eyebrows: As much as the bearing is a must along the Techie upgrade path, I'd say having an upgrade platter is also a must (The stock one really aint great - tap it and see, even in situe, resonant or what !) - Hence I'm very excited about receiving Mikes ETP Platter :D Very excited !

kininigin
30-10-2012, 12:38
Give us a chance to get the bearing in place first robert,before emptying our wallets for us :D

What is mike's EPT platter of which you speak?

RobbieGong
30-10-2012, 19:49
Give us a chance to get the bearing in place first robert,before emptying our wallets for us :D

What is mike's ETP platter of which you speak?

Lol, MY wallets already proper empty anyway :lol: largly due to this addictive hifi / Techie upgrade lark :D - Here's the Mike New ETP Platter I'll be recieving shortly (Mikes posting it out on Weds). Mines the same but without the label recess as I'll be using a mat with recess :)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en-GB&q=cache:flNEj0_w_z8J:http://pylonz.tumblr.com/post/23151934405/a-second-and-third-platter-option-from-mike-new%2Bmike+new+platter&gbv=2&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3...2156.15203.0.15624.28.22.5.1.1.0.156.1937.1 6j6.22.0...0.0...1c.1.IbxWp-NywIs&spell=1&ct=clnk

Mike_New
30-10-2012, 21:51
It should be ETP actually Robert. and stands for Engineering Thermo Plastic.
of which there are many types and grades.

The big difference between my design and others, is that I use a Brass Centre Boss which is machined with the taper, also I provide two threaded lifting holes for removal.

RobbieGong
30-10-2012, 21:59
It should be ETP actually Robert. and stands for Engineering Thermo Plastic.
of which there are many types and grades.

The big difference between my design and others, is that I use a Brass Centre Boss which is machined with the taper, also I provide two threaded lifting holes for removal.

That's what I've put innitt !?! - (Not like I'd edit it or anything) :eyebrows:
Cant wait to get it Mike :)

kininigin
30-10-2012, 22:29
Just been watching reading vs arsenal,what a mental game!!

I've completely missed the boat on this platter,are there any more details on it? Anyone here on AoS have one already? I can not find anything on it,in the forum.

I've now found a thread on it and i have actually posted on it :doh:

Mike_New
31-10-2012, 02:51
Just been watching reading vs arsenal,what a mental game!!

I've completely missed the boat on this platter,are there any more details on it? Anyone here on AoS have one already? I can not find anything on it,in the forum.

I've now found a thread on it and i have actually posted on it :doh:

Hi Kininigin,
I have now delivered 11 ETP Platters and will be posting Robert's tomorrow. They are spread about the world much like the Bearings.
The US. Canada, Asia, the UK and Europe.

Tarzan
31-10-2012, 08:39
In case l have missed something, are there any pictures of the platter Mike?:)

RobbieGong
31-10-2012, 08:54

Post 373 above has this link http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en-GB&q=cache:flNEj0_w_z8J:http://pylonz.tumblr.com/post/23151934405/a-second-and-third-platter-option-from-mike-new%2Bmike+new+platter&gbv=2&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3...2156.15203.0.15624.28.22.5.1.1.0.156.1937.1 6j6.22.0...0.0...1c.1.IbxWp-NywIs&spell=1&ct=clnk to the one I have on the way (Mine is without the label recess) Personally I prefer it's looks much more over the stock platter. It should also sonically be a fair improvement over the ringy stock platter :)

prestonchipfryer
31-10-2012, 10:30

Here's my MN platter. It has a label recess and I use a felt mat with a PatheWings 480g weight.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx309/prestonchipfryer/platterabove.jpg

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx309/prestonchipfryer/pathe-3.jpg

RobbieGong
31-10-2012, 12:58
Looks nice John, simplistic and less dj than the stock platter, a fair bit like the Funk. Both use a type of engineered plastic which when hit or flicked certainly does not give off a longlasting ring which has to be a good thing :)

Mike_New
31-10-2012, 21:53
We seem to have got a bit off topic from Bearings and onto my Platters, however
here is an update:

I have this morning (Thursday) recieved the finished Shafts and fitted and honed housings from my toolmakers. So I guess I will spend part of the weekend fitting the pressure pads and setting the gauge height.
I will run each one for 24hrs and then post as I finish them.

This is kind of important
Can you all please give me your postal address's for delivery, otherwise I am not sure where to send them!!

Only one payment notification from Eric in Canada includes the address.

kininigin
31-10-2012, 22:22
Haha yeah,kind of essential info you need.

I'll pm my details,thought they were included with my paypal transaction though,usually is :scratch:

If you remember mike,you don't need to run my bearing in for 24hrs :cool:

Sonority
31-10-2012, 22:54
Hi Mike,
I'll mail you tomorrow from work, but I'm amazed that you have no delivery address from PayPal, - it should automatically come with the payment?
At least every other payment I have made with it has, and thats rather a lot recently :eek:

Could you confirm that you did not get that info with the payment and I'll take it up with them, it aint right!

chelsea
31-10-2012, 23:01
Only is automatic through ebay not outside it.

Mike_New
31-10-2012, 23:30
Hi Stephen,
I think Stu has given the reason.
Only two of the PayPal notifications I have recieved has a postal or shipping address. I think that maybe it is optional for security reasons, or maybe depends on the country of origin for PayPal.

Tarzan
01-11-2012, 06:09
Here's my MN platter. It has a label recess and I use a felt mat with a PatheWings 480g weight.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx309/prestonchipfryer/platterabove.jpg

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx309/prestonchipfryer/pathe-3.jpg

Thank you.

Mike_New
04-11-2012, 06:40
Hi Folks,
I have recieved the postal address' for most of you, however I should have also requested that you send your address to me by email. rather than via my private AoS mail.
This way I can use it to send you the Installation Instructions as I have always done in the past (and also the posting date), so that you can keep them on record for future referal if you purchase the Bearing Base Plate or Platters.
In searching my email records I can only find about four email address'

I expect to be posting the first 4 Bearings on Monday.

Johan
04-11-2012, 08:45
Hi Folks,
I have recieved the postal address' for most of you, however I should have also requested that you send your address to me by email.

I already sent you my adress Mike but i send it to you again via mail.

Gr. Johan

kininigin
04-11-2012, 09:44
I have also sent my address via email now.

MikeMusic
04-11-2012, 11:15
Just sent via AoS email rather than PM
Was that right ?
Mike

Mike_New
05-11-2012, 05:53
Hi Mike,
What is easier for me is for people to send me their address by regular email.
This way I can directly inform them of the postage date and also attach the Bearing Installation Instructions.
However I seem to have been able to collate all the names and email address' this morning after some effort.

This morning I posted six bearings to lucky customers, the remaining 8 will be posted this week, plus 4 more who decided to get one after the cutoff date.

kininigin
05-11-2012, 17:36
Woo hoo,lucky customer here.I have recieved the installtion instructions and i look forward to recieving the bearing.

I should get a few weeks use out of it,so thankyou mike for getting it sent out before i'm off,much appreciated :cool:

Mike_New
05-11-2012, 22:23
Lucky you, I am posting out three more today.
Then I have to go to my friendly chemist and ask for ten more syringes for the oil.
They keep giving me a strange look everytime I go in.

OneyedK
06-11-2012, 22:20
This morning I posted six bearings to lucky customers
Looking forward to axtually holding it in my hand, seconds before mounting it.

Any toughts on a new platter, preferably around the same weight as the original.
PFM? Will I need an extra mat to make the VTA correct?

Mike_New
06-11-2012, 22:30
Hi Karl,
My ETP Platter can be made to any height or weight. Although most will weigh more than the original.

OneyedK
06-11-2012, 23:11
Although most will weigh more than the original.
I'm a bit reluctant to place a heavier platter.
IMHO, the loop filters are not fast enough to tame the heavier mass.
Maybe I should go back to the drawing board, trying to optimise those filters for higher mass...

The Grand Wazoo
06-11-2012, 23:15
Why not talk to people who've used a greater mass & see how they got on?

OneyedK
06-11-2012, 23:38
Why not talk to people who've used a greater mass & see how they got on?
Wood be nice...
But do you think they measured the actual influence to the platterspeed stability?
Or do you think they will say great things, given the investment they just made?
Sorry to be a bit sceptical, but I've seen people do crazy mods and claim it was an improvemeny...

The Grand Wazoo
06-11-2012, 23:47
Well, to be honest, not many people here will be measuring very much of anything - that's not really how most of us do things.
If you need measurements to reassure yourself that you are hearing something, then AoS may not be your natural forum home.

Mike_New
07-11-2012, 01:59
Hi Karl,
I think what you are concerned with has been covered many times and in many ways on this forum and others. The fact of the matter is that all those people who are using my Platters and the much heavier metal mats on top of the OEM platter, have had no concerns with weight.

However if you are interested in this challenge see my new thread on
Switch Loop-Gain Option

MartinT
07-11-2012, 18:52
Thanks, Mike. That thread is here for those who want to read it:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21484&highlight=Switch+Loop-Gain+Option

Mike_New
08-11-2012, 04:10
Hi Folks,
Well I posted the last of the Bearing orders this morning.
So I now only have seven Bearings avaiulable from this batch for immediate delivery.
So treat yourself to a sonically orgasmic Christmas by fitting one to your
SL1200 now.

krugdoktor
08-11-2012, 08:24
Do it Folks!!!
The Mike New bearing is THE MOST IMPORTANT UPGRADE you could do with your Techy. If you want an immediate and massive improvement in SQ the change of the bearing is the way to go, everything else is worthwile but does not have the WOW-factor of the new bearing.

kininigin
09-11-2012, 21:20
I can not wait to get the bearing,but i've just thought,will i have to pay a customs fee and if so how much will it likely be?

Marco
09-11-2012, 22:47
Do it Folks!!!
The Mike New bearing is THE MOST IMPORTANT UPGRADE you could do with your Techy. If you want an immediate and massive improvement in SQ the change of the bearing is the way to go, everything else is worthwile but does not have the WOW-factor of the new bearing.

Spot on, although upgrading the stock PSU to something off-board of the quality of a Paul Hynes SR7, is equally as fundamental :)

Marco.

Sonority
11-11-2012, 22:23
I can not wait to get the bearing,but i've just thought,will i have to pay a customs fee and if so how much will it likely be?

VAT + Customs clearance. Not certain about duty on a bearing, unless it's price sensitive - which it probably is.

Will probably come in on Parcel Force who will add £20.00 + for clearance / collecting the fee and delivering it to you.

There is a site on the net where you can work out the duty on an item somewhere..

Which I have just visited.
Bearings have a duty rate of 2% so fall outside of the value for charging.
With a declared value of AU$500.00 the VAT is £65.08 + the collection fee as I already mentioned.
I have to pay this twice :(

This information may not be 100% but make yourself ready if it is.

Total customs value: £325.38
- Duty: £0.00
- VAT: £65.08
Total import duty & taxes due: £65.08
Total landed cost: £390.46
at AUD/GBP exchange rate of 0.6508

Calculation notesNotes on duty & taxes rates
Bearing For Turntable has an import duty rate of 2% and VAT rate of 20% .
Duty result for item bearing for turntable is nil because the total amount of duty payable for this item is less than £9.00
Notes on import taxes due
Please note, to ensure accurate duty and VAT results, all shipping charges must be declared.
Please note, any insurance charges need to be declared to ensure accurate duty and VAT results.
Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee

Mike_New
11-11-2012, 23:19
The charges for Australia Post (which I pay) should include delivery to designated address, I mark all parcels as "Replacement Bearing for audio turn table."
The only real charge in the UK I believe is the VAT at 20% which I cannot do anything about.

chris@panteg
12-11-2012, 17:55
Isn't it limited to £45 vat and everything else ? I think TonyC mentioned it somewhere ? But £45 is what I had to pay on my $500 cartridge , which worked out at £346 at the time .

Sonority
12-11-2012, 18:04
Try it and see - loads of info out there, a lot depends on whats being imported. Tobacco and spirits get hammered! Bearings at 2% but below the minimum threshold in our case.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

This is what it would cost you today :-
Importing from: United States
Importing to: United Kingdom

2The type of product, its value and where it was manufacturedEditProduct description: Turntable Cartridge
Product category: Phono Cartridge (8522100000)
Product value: US$500.00
Country of manufacture: United States

3The cost of shipping and insurance of importingEditShipping costs: US$15.00
Insurance costs: US$10.00

Calculation resultsEditTotal customs value: £330.62
- Duty: £13.22
- VAT: £68.77
Total import duty & taxes due: £81.99
Total landed cost: £412.62
at USD/GBP exchange rate of 0.6298

Calculation notesNotes on duty & taxes rates
Turntable Cartridge has an import duty rate of 4% and VAT rate of 20% .
Notes on import taxes due
Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee

£81.99 is a tad more than £45.00 I think? Then there is the handling / collection (robbery) fee from the service provider.. usually around £20 - £25.00

Sonority
13-11-2012, 10:28
Postman has just been with two nice boxes for me and didn't ask for anything in charges, gone under the radar this time methinks :yay:

Johan
13-11-2012, 16:36
Bearing arrived today ......... And already installed. :eyebrows::eyebrows:

Gr. Johan

Anders.G
13-11-2012, 21:59
Another one just arrived in Stockholm:) I'll be fitting it as soon as my new Audiomods arm and rebuilt DL103R arrives from Dom at NWA...

RobbieGong
14-11-2012, 13:07
Still waiting for my ETP platter to come !! As a side, I've just purchased a very nice record weight - Please note that Mikes bearing spindle is thicker / bigger than your usual stock spindle so you may find that your weight or the weight you have your eye on does not fit.

misterharrison
14-11-2012, 14:16
Yes - I have found that the Michell record clamp, for example, does not fit on the Mike New spindle. The Audio Technica AT618 record weight, on the other hand, does fit.

kininigin
14-11-2012, 15:23
Still waiting here.I hope i get away with,not paying any fees as well :lol:

So come on then those that have recieved and installed,how's it all sounding?

MartinT
14-11-2012, 19:39
I used to have a Michell clamp and it fitted the MN spindle perfectly fine.

RobbieGong
14-11-2012, 20:28
I've been a narna ! - Got the weight home (It was delivered at work) and found it fits like a glove so very very pleased to say the least :D

Mike_New
14-11-2012, 21:47
Hi Folks,
On the subject of spindle diameter, I specify the diameter to be
7.18mm nominal. Also I make it 3mm longer to allow for thick mats
and records. Obviously there are tollerances on the hole diameter, set by the makers of center weights and this would explain why some fit and others don't.

nickbaba
15-11-2012, 13:00
Ouch! - Just got hit with a £60 customs charge (£52 duty + £8 handling)...
grrr...grumble...mumble....

RobbieGong
15-11-2012, 13:10
Ouch! - Just got hit with a £60 customs charge (£52 duty + £8 handling)...
grrr...grumble...mumble....

Join the club Nick, Wondered why my Mike New ETP platter hadn't turned up at work and just received the Parcel Force Customs charge / non delivery advise :steam: So on top of paying what is serious money for me on my platter I now have had to pay a further £46.50 customs tax to have the platter redelivered. I know and understand we have to but still find it a right PITA !!!!! :(

prestonchipfryer
15-11-2012, 13:28
Join the club Nick, Wondered why my Mike New ETP platter hadn't turned up at work and just received the Parcel Force Customs charge / non delivery advise :steam: So on top of paying what is serious money for me on my platter I now have had to pay a further £46.50 customs tax to have the platter redelivered. I know and understand we have to but still find it a right PITA !!!!! :(

I paid £20 more than that for my platters' customs, etc. So how the feck do they work it out? Robbing b'tards. Worth every penny though. :)

RobbieGong
15-11-2012, 13:34
I paid £20 more than that for my platters' customs, etc. So how the feck do they work it out? Robbing b'tards. Worth every penny though. :)

lol - Thank God for the bit in bold :lol:

MikeMusic
15-11-2012, 14:23

Why was it redelivered ?

MikeMusic
15-11-2012, 14:25

From experience shipping print to various countries Customs charge what they like.
'Customs' in St. Petersburg wanted so much for a few boxes of print that our client had it shipped back

UK customs are pretty good

nickbaba
15-11-2012, 16:12
I hear ya, Robbie... it's annoying - not only having to pay the extra in the first place, but knowing that some lucky people's slip through and they pay nothing!!
grrr...
still, luck of the draw I guess... I wouldn't be complaining if I'd been one of the lucky ones this time!

Including customs charges I have now paid more for this bearing than I paid for my 1210 in the first place... :mental: :scratch: :mental:

Sonority
15-11-2012, 16:30
I hear ya, Robbie... it's annoying - not only having to pay the extra in the first place, but knowing that some lucky people's slip through and they pay nothing!!
grrr...
still, luck of the draw I guess... I wouldn't be complaining if I'd been one of the lucky ones this time!

Including customs charges I have now paid more for this bearing than I paid for my 1210 in the first place... :mental: :scratch: :mental:

Have you seen the pair of 1210's going for £12k (yes £12,000.00) on the evilbay at present?
Insanity at is very best..

Getting stuff through customs is always hit and miss - I just take it that I will get to pay tax and cost it in. Then (and this is actually the FIRST time) I allow myself a smile..

As for paying £6k for a techie in basic format????

RobbieGong
15-11-2012, 17:15
Why was it redelivered ?
Basically the Parcel Force note says you have to log on to their website and pay the amount it says on the note for customs tax and you also as part of that process ask for a new date for the item to be delivered to you. My guess is it arrives and then before you get it you have to do all this stuf. I probably should have said delivered and not re-delivered :)

nickbaba
15-11-2012, 17:32
Getting stuff through customs is always hit and miss - I just take it that I will get to pay tax and cost it in.

Yeah, I cost it in too...but always have my fingers crossed that it will slip through the net... sometimes happens!

nickbaba
15-11-2012, 17:35
Have you seen the pair of 1210's going for £12k (yes £12,000.00) on the evilbay at present?
Can't seem to find them (just out of curiosity, of course...) do you have a link?

MikeMusic
15-11-2012, 17:38
Basically the Parcel Force note says you have to log on to their website and pay the amount it says on the note for customs tax and you also as part of that process ask for a new date for the item to be delivered to you. My guess is it arrives and then before you get it you have to do all this stuf. I probably should have said delivered and not re-delivered :)

When buying from abroad I remember
tracking the parcel
seeing it in customs
waiting days too long
eventually getting the *posted* card from Parcelfarce
paying with the date they tell me (I thought)
As we are usually so jeen to get our stuff we take any date

kininigin
15-11-2012, 18:06
I've just got back from work to find the dreaded royal mail note.

£54.41 for me to pay.It's a little annoying,as i had forgot to factor in the customs charge,but give it a few weeks and that will be a distant memory :D

Hopefully i can get it delieverd for saturday!!!

Sonority
15-11-2012, 18:17
While they ''WILL'' deliver on a Saturday - expect to pay an extra ''large'' wodge on top for that privellige. Next working day will most likely be Monday - Unless you can work real quick for tonights loading.

kininigin
15-11-2012, 18:29
While they ''WILL'' deliver on a Saturday - expect to pay an extra ''large'' wodge on top for that privellige. Next working day will most likely be Monday - Unless you can work real quick for tonights loading.

I won't be paying an "extra large wodge" for a sat delivery!!! If it turns up sat and they ask for any money,i'll just say deliver it monday.....you blood sucking leech :lol:

chelsea
15-11-2012, 19:31
Can't you go and pick it up yourself?

RobbieGong
15-11-2012, 19:41
I won't be paying an "extra large wodge" for a sat delivery!!! If it turns up sat and they ask for any money,i'll just say deliver it monday.....you blood sucking leech :lol:

:lol: love it !!

kininigin
15-11-2012, 20:24
Can't you go and pick it up yourself?

Nope!

nickbaba
15-11-2012, 20:57
Hey gang... been looking over the installation instructions this evening. Feeling a bit nervous about man-handling the circuit board etc... usually when I do a bit of DIY round the house I can hear the music from Laurel & Hardy playing in the back of my head, if you know what I mean...
Is this something a butterfingers like myself should be trying to attempt?
Anyone else (who considers themselves non-technical) done this already? If so, how did you find it?
Also, has anyone here ever posted a step-by-step with photos? Can't seem to find one...

Audio Al
15-11-2012, 21:24
Hey gang... been looking over the installation instructions this evening. Feeling a bit nervous about man-handling the circuit board etc... usually when I do a bit of DIY round the house I can hear the music from Laurel & Hardy playing in the back of my head, if you know what I mean...
Anyone else (who considers themselves non-technical) done this already? If so, how did you find it?
Also, has anyone here ever posted a step-by-step with photos? Can't seem to find one...

Have a look at this thread
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21608&page=2

One of the images shows what you have to un clip and un screw ;)

RobbieGong
15-11-2012, 22:09

Nick, Honestly dont sweat it. I did mine and it wasnt difficult. I made sure kids and Mrs were out and just took it nice n slow. It really isnt hard, just follow the installation instructions that's all and make sure you have the right tools ie wire snippers. With regard to handling the pcb it's just a case of raising it carefully and not yanking it, once you've undone the screws that hold it down. Make sure you have sharp snippers to snip of the sharp solder strands (which hang under the pcb) as close to the pcb as you can, (the instructions I think refer to them as wires which threw me as they are sharp pointy solder strands :)

Mike_New
15-11-2012, 23:05
Hi Folks,
In the spirit of co-operation and sympathy I would just say that from my calculations, the customs charges are actually the 20%VAT you poor sods have to pay in the UK.
In OZ we do not pay any charges on goods stated to be less than A$1,000.00 although this may change in the future.

The Installation Instructions for my Bearing were initially reviewed by a former AF pilot
now working in opperations command who put forward some ideas.
If any of you have further suggestions then I will happily incorporate them.
However I think that if you read them through carefully two or three times you will find that it is not hard at all.

nickbaba
15-11-2012, 23:56
Hi Mike - I wasn't being critical of the instructions, they are clear and well laid out. Its more my own cack-handedness I'm worried about!

Thanks for the tip about trimming the wires/solder points, Robbie. I'm sure that will help when I reach that step of the process.

MartinT
16-11-2012, 07:02
It's not difficult, guys, if you observe the following:
- Use a nice large table not dedicated to any other activity
- Have lots of light
- Place all removed screws in a logical series of piles so that you can reverse engineer it
- Never pull the connectors off by holding the wires, grab the casing with tweezers and lever out gently
- Be extra careful to observe Mike's section on snipping the extended wires on the PCB so that they don't foul
- Reassemble carefully and check all connectors are replaced
- Check clearance from the big cap on the PCB to the underside of your chosen platter

Most important of all, don't rush!

MikeMusic
16-11-2012, 14:21
Looks like I'm in for £83 !

nickbaba
17-11-2012, 16:31
Hi guys... a little advice here, please? I'm stuck at the first hurdle...

"Carefully remove the three plugs attached to the cable forms from the main circuit board."

How is this done?

Do the black clips come completely off the circuit board? (e.g. the entire black plastic part)
Or do the black bits with wires attached pull out of the plastic part that is attached to the PCB? If so, how do they disconnect? Pull upwards or horizontally backwards?
Mine are not giving at all, even with quite a lot of pressure... they feel like they are going to snap off the PCB before anything moves...

Help!
Don't want to cause any damage...

Thanks.

kininigin
17-11-2012, 21:42
Hi guys... a little advice here, please? I'm stuck at the first hurdle...

"Carefully remove the three plugs attached to the cable forms from the main circuit board."

How is this done?

Do the black clips come completely off the circuit board? (e.g. the entire black plastic part)
Or do the black bits with wires attached pull out of the plastic part that is attached to the PCB? If so, how do they disconnect? Pull upwards or horizontally backwards?
Mine are not giving at all, even with quite a lot of pressure... they feel like they are going to snap off the PCB before anything moves...

Help!
Don't want to cause any damage...

Thanks.

Go to around 6mins in and you will see how they come out.Hope this helps!!

XrK0g-sNS9Q

Looks like I'm in for £83 !

They seem to make it up as they go along.So between 3 people we have Stephen pay nothing,Mike paid £83 and i paid £54.Bit of a joke really methinks!!

Mike_New
17-11-2012, 22:35
Hi Nick,
They should slide out horizontally, some may have moulded-on clips that you need to depress before pulling outwards.

MikeMusic
18-11-2012, 09:47
Go to around 6mins in and you will see how they come out.Hope this helps!!

XrK0g-sNS9Q

They seem to make it up as they go along.So between 3 people we have Stephen pay nothing,Mike paid £83 and i paid £54.Bit of a joke really methinks!!
Joke's on me this time:(
Sounds much like customs the world over

nickbaba
18-11-2012, 16:18
Hi again guys - well, I had a go at it... all went well, got the bearing installed, replaced & levelled the platter etc
however, when I went to spin some vinyl I could instantly hear a serious pitch wobble, up and down like an old wonky tape...

any ideas what could be causing this?

could i have damaged the motor coils? and if so, would that result in a similar effect?

help! I've got a bad feeling about this... knew I shouldn't have gone anywhere near it...

MikeMusic
18-11-2012, 17:05
Hi again guys - well, I had a go at it... all went well, got the bearing installed, replaced & levelled the platter etc
however, when I went to spin some vinyl I could instantly hear a serious pitch wobble, up and down like an old wonky tape...

could i have damaged the motor coils? and if so, would that result in a similar effect?

help! I've got a bad feeling about this... knew I shouldn't have gone anywhere near it...
Best of luck Nick
Hope someone can help
Keep us posted
Doubt I will try to fit mine after this unless there is better news

Nigel
18-11-2012, 17:14
Yeah, hope it's something that can be easily sorted, Nick.

For what it's worth though, I'm virtually useless and I managed to fit the bearing without any problem. I would class the job as easier than installing and correctly setting up a cartridge. Anyone who can satisfactorily fit a cartridge should be able to manage the bearing swap.

nickbaba
18-11-2012, 17:26
hmmm... removed the MN bearing and replaced the stock one.

everything back to normal - so thank gawd no damage...

any thoughts anyone? obviously something with the new bearing...but what?

all seemed to go in fine... i don't get it.

chris@panteg
18-11-2012, 17:37

Nick , what exactly is happening with the MN bearing in place ? You've listened to it I presume .

kininigin
18-11-2012, 17:39
Hi nick,

Sorry to hear of your trouble,i'm not sure what is going on but the other month i had my platter off to disable the target light and when i replaced the platter i had speed stability issues,this is with the stock bearing.

So i took off the platter again,re-checked everything and replaced the platter.The second time it was fine!!

So maybe,if you haven't already,you can try the MNB and this time try the platter on and off a few times?

MikeMusic
18-11-2012, 17:41
Anyone who can satisfactorily fit a cartridge should be able to manage the bearing swap.

I wouldn't think about fitting a cartridge.
Lie. I would think about it, then realise I could only do that in a parallel universe

MikeMusic
18-11-2012, 17:43

Phew.

Likely something 'obvious' I would also miss

nickbaba
18-11-2012, 18:00
hi chris - if i can describe more accurately what i was hearing, it was that doppler effect where the pitch rises and falls continuously, in this case roughly 1 full cycle per second. Sounds like when the batteries start going on a cassette player, if you know what i mean.
when i removed the MNB and replaced the stock one, the sound was again normal.
before spinning a record i double-checked that the pitch-fader clip was securely replaced, the platter was levelled (tested with a platter spirit-level that sits over the spindle) and the cart and arm were properly set-up.

It must be something with the positioning of the bearing, perhaps it was slightly off-centre, but i can't see how as it was all screwed firmly into place.

There is one thing i was scratching my head about... the 3 long black screws fix to the bearing where it slides through the PCB...but on the MNB there are 3 more holes machined... what are they for? I didn't receive any extra screws or bolts in my pack from Mike...have others used these 3 extra holes to secure the bearing? (so its held by 6 screws instead of 3 like the stock bearing?)
Am i missing extra screws, and could that be making a difference?

chris@panteg
18-11-2012, 18:15
Nick I think those extra holes are for the optional base plate , is it worth refitting the bearing , making sure everything is level ! And running it for 24 hours or maybe 36 ? Then listen again ?

RobbieGong
18-11-2012, 18:16
hi chris - if i can describe more accurately what i was hearing, it was that doppler effect where the pitch rises and falls continuously, in this case roughly 1 full cycle per second. Sounds like when the batteries start going on a cassette player, if you know what i mean.
when i removed the MNB and replaced the stock one, the sound was again normal.
before spinning a record i double-checked that the pitch-fader clip was securely replaced, the platter was levelled (tested with a platter spirit-level that sits over the spindle) and the cart and arm were properly set-up.

It must be something with the positioning of the bearing, perhaps it was slightly off-centre, but i can't see how as it was all screwed firmly into place.

There is one thing i was scratching my head about... the 3 long black screws fix to the bearing where it slides through the PCB...but on the MNB there are 3 more holes machined... what are they for? I didn't receive any extra screws or bolts in my pack from Mike...have others used these 3 extra holes to secure the bearing? (so its held by 6 screws instead of 3 like the stock bearing?)
Am i missing extra screws, and could that be making a difference?

Hi Nick and anyone else looking to do this. 1. It isnt hard at all. 2. Your guess as highlighted is probably quite likely. Mike will tell you that if it doesn't seem right to start with ie: when you turn the platter on all isn't smooth, then just loosen the screws that hold / secure the bearing in place and re-seat it. Also another tell tale sign is that you should not have to fight to tighten the three long black screws. They fit very precisely and tighten smoothly when you have the bearing sat / housed correctly, the opposite occurs when you havn't. I had a few goes till I was happy. I really wasn't fazed by undoing the screws and re-seating till I was happy and knew all was well, you really dont need to be (Look how many of us have these fitted here on the forum, not to mention world wide :) )

OneyedK
18-11-2012, 19:46
Does the platter spin freely if the TT is powered off?
(I had a similar problem, it's not really bearing related, if the Technics platter is badly cast, the inner ring touches the bearing housing)

And don't worry, you have to be pretty agressive and clumsy to damage the motor coils...

nickbaba
18-11-2012, 21:11
Thanks gang - much appreciated all the help and suggestions on here.

Yes, the platter spun fine with power off. Seemed level and no obvious problems.

Thanks for the tip, Robbie. Probably right as I can't think of anything else it can be.
I will try again to re-fit and fiddle with the MNB next time I have a free couple of hours to dedicate to it.

Will report progress when it happens!

RobbieGong
18-11-2012, 21:17
No probs Nick and whilst you do that make sure things ie wires are laid nice and flat, tucked away tidily etc to avoid any catching / rubbing as the platter spins ;)

OneyedK
18-11-2012, 21:33
Yes, the platter spun fine with power off. Seemed level and no obvious problems.
Very strange... Are you sure your deck is 100% in good condition?
No PSU problems or worn out caps?
The load presented by the MN bearing IS slightly higher than the stock bearing, so existing problems might show up after install.
(Not a bearing problem, but an electronics problem)

MikeMusic
18-11-2012, 21:40
Very strange... Are you sure your deck is 100% in good condition?
No PSU problems or worn out caps?
The load presented by the MN bearing IS slightly higher than the stock bearing, so existing problems might show up after install.
(Not a bearing problem, but an electronics problem)

It's the things we don't know we don't know
I'm having fun changing the chain on my bike - a simple task, I was told by at least 2 people - who know what they are doing
-running into all sorts of issues no one mentioned
like the length of the chains vary, even good chain splitters murder your fingers and barely *work*, it's very mucky, you just want someone else to do it....

Mike_New
18-11-2012, 21:44
Hi Nick,
Firstly remove the platter and check to see if you have any foreign matter stuck to the inside of the Magnet. Then check that the three plugs are correctly installed. Also check to confirm that you have removed all the wires that may have been protruding from the printed circuit board.
You are the only person to my knowledge that has had any problems fitting the bearing.

Mike_New
18-11-2012, 21:55
Hi Nick,
Karl is correct you may have a platter which has a slightly smaller boss diameter where the bearing housing fits into. Try spinnng the platter and listen for any noise. However from what you describe I think that perhaps you have a plug that was not correctly installed. Having romoved the PCB and swapped the bearing you have unknowingly corrected the original problem.

nickbaba
18-11-2012, 23:28
Don't think its PSU problems - I'm using a Paul Hynes SR-5 which should have no problem with the slightly heavier load. Deck is in good nick, only couple of years old, no gigging just home use, should be fine.

Thanks Mike - I will re-fit the new bearing when I have some time to spare and see if the problem is indeed resolved.

tbh I'm not even surprised I'm the only person to ever have problems fitting the bearing... as previously mentioned, whenever I attempt DIY or technical work, strange things happen....usually bad! :doh:

MartinT
19-11-2012, 03:12
When you refit the MN bearing, check for anything at all rubbing. Spin the platter with the power completely off and listen for chafing noises. I had a wire rubbing against the underside of the platter doing that.

Mike_New
19-11-2012, 06:12
Don't think its PSU problems - I'm using a Paul Hynes SR-5 which should have no problem with the slightly heavier load. Deck is in good nick, only couple of years old, no gigging just home use, should be fine.

Thanks Mike - I will re-fit the new bearing when I have some time to spare and see if the problem is indeed resolved.

tbh I'm not even surprised I'm the only person to ever have problems fitting the bearing... as previously mentioned, whenever I attempt DIY or technical work, strange things happen....usually bad! :doh:

Nick,
I think your problem is that you are too scared to grab the poblem by the curlies and consider yourself so cock-handed that your worries become self fullfilling. Just treat the project as a challenging new experience
and get into it. It really is very simple and if you have problems then it will be because you have not wanted to follow through and investigate it.

nickbaba
19-11-2012, 10:05
Well hey,I'm doing my best over here, ya know what I mean?

Actually feeling pretty proud of myself for taking the job on in the first place, so... it ain't all bad. ;)

chris@panteg
19-11-2012, 10:10
Well hey,I'm doing my best over here, ya know what I mean?

Actually feeling pretty proud of myself for taking the job on in the first place, so... it ain't all bad. ;)

Nick , don't let anyone knock you down m8 , it doesn't seem to me you've done anything wrong ? Perhaps just unlucky , you say with the standard bearing everything is fine ?

nickbaba
19-11-2012, 10:19
Oh and please can I request that in future we limit the advice to technical suggestions?
If I wanted therapy I wouldn't look for it on a HiFi forum, believe me.

krugdoktor
19-11-2012, 16:33
Had the same problem, slight wow on 33 and massive wow on 45. Then I realised that the Soundhifi/Dave Cawley modifications (called "motor dynamics mod") were simply torque reduction! After removing the bits everything returned to normal and I had my Techy back! If your 12xx has said modification REMOVE IT. Hope you get your problems sorted and can enjoy the improvements with the MN bearing.

MartinT
19-11-2012, 17:34
Yes Michael, I had that same mod and had to remove it when I bought Mike New's heavy platter. The warble on 45 was very noticeable.

prestonchipfryer
19-11-2012, 17:48
Yes Michael, I had that same mod and had to remove it when I bought Mike New's heavy platter. The warble on 45 was very noticeable.

Hi Martin. Would there be a chance of any pics showing how to disable this mod?

John

chris@panteg
19-11-2012, 18:02
Nick , did you manage to fix the problem you had with the pitch control ?

Could be related to this , just a thought ?

costerdock
19-11-2012, 21:20
Man - still waiting for mine to arrive in the US - any day soon!

nickbaba
19-11-2012, 21:32
Hi Chris - thanks for the thought & well remembered btw!
As it happens I didn't fix that problem yet, so there might be a connection. Not been using the pitch fader much recently so it had slipped my mind. If it happens again when I re-fit the MNB, and I can't get it to settle down by tinkering with the bearing placement/platter etc, I will look into the pitch control.
Cheers.

OneyedK
19-11-2012, 21:33
Then I realised that the Soundhifi/Dave Cawley modifications (called "motor dynamics mod") were simply torque reduction!
Technically it wasn't even torque reduction, but PLL loop gain reduction.
It was bad practice, and even audible with stock bearing and platter.
I asked DC on his forum how it was supposed to work in the first place,
but I received the usual answer.

Hence my prior question "is your deck 100% ok".
With this kind of mods, it's not.

Mike_New
19-11-2012, 23:52
Hi Karl,
In a conversation with DC some time ago he said that the mod was to allow the "sound" of the SL to resemble that of the LP12. Although, why anyone would want to do that is strange. Excepting that maybe the modified Phase Lock Loop characteristics resembled the affects of a rubber band driven TT. on the heavier passages of music.

With the CR values that were chosen, the Mod should be removed on any SL using a heavier platter than the OEM version. As Martin and others quickly discovered.

However I would not think that it would cause any problems when using my Bearing.
Maybe Nick does have a pitch control problem which is excerbated by fitting my bearing.

Nick, check to see if the pins on the plug from the slider are clean and do not have any oil or dirt on them. This should not be the case but it is worth checking, clean the pins with Acetone.

I have tried running my test SL without the slider plug connected. The speed was slightly higher and less constant.

MikeMusic
20-11-2012, 08:18

Wonderful
I think I can count on the fingers of one finger how many times I have heard the reason for some problem like that.
Deeply satisfying

Sonority
20-11-2012, 08:40
Hi Karl,
In a conversation with DC some time ago he said that the mod was to allow the "sound" of the SL to resemble that of the LP12. Although, why anyone would want to do that is strange. Excepting that maybe the modified Phase Lock Loop characteristics resembled the affects of a rubber band driven TT. on the heavier passages of music.

With the CR values that were chosen, the Mod should be removed on any SL using a heavier platter than the OEM version. As Martin and others quickly discovered.

However I would not think that it would cause any problems when using my Bearing.
Maybe Nick does have a pitch control problem which is excerbated by fitting my bearing.

Nick, check to see if the pins on the plug from the slider are clean and do not have any oil or dirt on them. This should not be the case but it is worth checking, clean the pins with Acetone.

I have tried running my test SL without the slider plug connected. The speed was slightly higher and less constant.

Mike - could I just be clear here - ''I have tried running my test SL without the slider plug connected''. This is without the plug OR a shorting block between required pins I take it as in the pitch fader removal mod?

Mike_New
20-11-2012, 09:05
Hi Stephen,
All I did was to remove the plug (4 wires) to simulate an open circuit caused by dirty contacts. This obviously is not what anyone would want to try in practice. There was some semblance of control but far to fast.

MartinT
20-11-2012, 10:54

Hi John

I don't have a photo of when it was installed, but you can see a cap/resistor in parallel soldered across an existing component (sticking in the air) on the PCB at bottom-right as you face the deck. I don't have a layout to hand (I'm at work) but shout if you want the location and I should have the diagram at home.

OneyedK
20-11-2012, 11:04
Hi folks,

I don't think Nick's problem is related to his pitch fader problem.
Of course, the contacts need to be clean (I use isopropyl alcohol to clean contacts, sometimes called isopropanol, available in any pharmacy, cost next to nothing).

But when the pitch fader is at zero and the led lights, the entire pitch fader cirtcuit is bypassed.
There's no need for a "pitch fader removal mod".
Unless you want to remove the fader from your deck, in that case it becomes an aestetic mod.

kininigin
20-11-2012, 11:05
Woo Hoo,bearing has just arrived :mex:

Time to install and see what we have.

kininigin
20-11-2012, 13:12
Everything is installed and is up and running fine.

Very early first impressions DAAAAYYYYYUUUUUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

See you later,i've got records to listen to :D

prestonchipfryer
20-11-2012, 13:59
Hi John

I don't have a photo of when it was installed, but you can see a cap/resistor in parallel soldered across an existing component (sticking in the air) on the PCB at bottom-right as you face the deck. I don't have a layout to hand (I'm at work) but shout if you want the location and I should have the diagram at home.

Cheers.

MartinT
20-11-2012, 23:03

Look here at an old photo of the bottom-right hand corner of my main PCB. You can see a red capacitor and a resistor soldered across an existing component. That is Dave Cawley's Motor Dynamics Mod, which reduces torque. Cut those two components out and you will revert the board to standard operation.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8204/8204578620_dd26f1eaf9.jpg

prestonchipfryer
21-11-2012, 07:36
Look here at an old photo of the bottom-right hand corner of my main PCB. You can see a red capacitor and a resistor soldered across an existing component. That is Dave Cawley's Motor Dynamics Mod, which reduces torque. Cut those two components out and you will revert the board to standard operation.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8204/8204578620_dd26f1eaf9.jpg

Thanks. Mine is untouched by DC. I wasn't sure if mine had been modded.

kininigin
21-11-2012, 12:03
I would just like to thank Mike New,for his amazing bearing!! Everything that has been writen about it is spot on.It has now enabled me to really hear what my cart/arm,pre amp and speakers are really capable of (and of course the technics) :D

It truly is stunning the difference it has made.

Keep up the good work mate :cool:

kininigin
21-11-2012, 12:18
Hi Chris - thanks for the thought & well remembered btw!
As it happens I didn't fix that problem yet, so there might be a connection. Not been using the pitch fader much recently so it had slipped my mind. If it happens again when I re-fit the MNB, and I can't get it to settle down by tinkering with the bearing placement/platter etc, I will look into the pitch control.
Cheers.

Any joy yet nick?

Mike_New
21-11-2012, 12:41
Thanks kininigin,
Another happy bearing man.

nickbaba
21-11-2012, 21:22
Hi Darren - thanks for asking. No chance to get back to it yet this week... other priorities for the moment I'm afraid ...looking forward to finding some time over the weekend. Will post here how it all goes... cheers.

nickbaba
21-11-2012, 21:23
Happy to see you are chuffed with your purchase, btw!

kininigin
25-11-2012, 18:53
Thanks kininigin,
Another happy bearing man.

Happy yes,but sad at the same time,pre-amp is sold,turntable packed away till i get back and then i need to save for a new pre.

So will be a long time till i can listen to this fantastic bearing,will be worth the wait though ;)

Mike_New
29-11-2012, 21:51
Hi Folks,
With a new customer having just purchased two Bearings, I now have only 5 bearings available. Since it is the summer Holiday period in OZ I will not be in a position to organise another batch untill about mid Feb. if demand justifies the investment.

Mike_New
28-12-2012, 02:04
Hi Folks I need some help to trace someone.
Before christmas I got an em from a John Bitwinski in the US, North Logan Uta. <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
asking for some Bearings and an ETP Platter.
However I have been trying for some days now to reply and every time my email gets rejected as being an invalid address or mailbox unavailable.
Does anyone know John??

MartinT
28-12-2012, 02:36
Shouldn't that be @hotmail.com ?

Mike_New
28-12-2012, 03:01
Thanks Martin,
I copied the address across from my inbox and the 'm' got left off.