PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Seattle

JimmyJet
04-05-2017, 18:50
Finally got around to joining because there was a post I wanted to respond to and have been a view for quite awhile. Have read some really good threads on these forums when researching gear.

Anyway, if you want to know a bit about me, perhaps there's nothing more telling than for me to list the gear that makes up my rig... Cheers!

Turntable 1: Custom re-built Thorens 150 by Dave Archambault of Vinyl Nirvana. Custom components:
- Santos Mahogany plinth solid 3/4”
- SME M2-9 Tonearm
- Dynavector 17D3 Karat, or Shelter 501 mk iii, or Denon DL-103
- Origin Live DC200 motor (their top motor hand picked for it's quietness and less vibration)
- Origin Live Upgrade Transformer (lowered impedance enabling higher instantaneous current to be delivered)
- Origin Live Ultra Motor Controller (faster functioning circuit, stricter regulation, and lower noise)

Turntable 2: Pioneer PL-50 restored as new by Oak Tree Vintage
- Ortofon 2M Mono, or Denon DL-110

Turntable 3: Garrard Type A, Mk II restored by STL Classic Audio
- Original Garrard 45 adapter & 45 stacking spindle
- Original Garrard 33 manual & stacking spindles
- All original papers & manual
- Additional Shure headshell (white)
- Original Shure M99/A “Gard-A-Matic”, or Shure SC35C
==> Sutherland 20/20 dual mono phono stage
==> Decware Torii Mk IV dual mono, all tube power amp (point to point hand wired w/silver solder)
==> Klipsch KG4 speakers with Crites' titanium horn drivers and hand-built crossovers (Crossover capacitors upgraded to Mundorf MCap Supremes).

Macca
04-05-2017, 20:50
Hi Jimmy, welcome to the forum

walpurgis
05-05-2017, 08:55
Hello Jimmy. Welcome to AOS.

That's a nice collection of equipment you have there.

Tell us what music you listen to and what future plans if any you may have for your system.

Feel free to join in any chat that interests you. The members are friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

JimmyJet
05-05-2017, 16:06
Thanks Gents for the welcome!

Geoff, as far as music, I guess I'm an eclectic - everything from opera to disco! I guess I would have to say, that if pressed, I enjoy the female voice with a minimalist accompaniment, e.g., Joni Mitchell, Holly Cole, Sara K., etc., but really, I play whatever I'm in the mood for. I prefer original first pressings in VG+ > condition. Not a fan of new pressed vinyl because a) it's digitally sourced, b) the majority of it is warped because they don't know how to cool and package it, c) it's way overpriced for such a lack of quality.

Future additions to my rig will include Peter Reinders (PTPAudio) Solid 12 "re-invented" Lenco idler table in a two tonearm config w/Thomas Schick 12" arm & Audiomods Series 5 9" arm, but first... I must sell my Thorens/Origin Live rig. And yes, I've been bitten by the idler bug. I recently acquired the Garrard changer and have been enjoying the heck out of it! (Had one back in the 70's, and after owning many DD's and BD's, I forgot how good the idler sound is.) I'm stacking 6 LP's every evening while me and the little lady make and have dinner (don't worry, it's my "B stock" vinyl). However, the Garrard changer system has got to be the gentlest of all changers and I am building up courage to put some of the A stock on ;)

We're moving to a new house in the autumn that has a large open main room with high ceilings, so... I'm thinking about getting a pair of of Maggies 3.7i and power them with a McIntosh 6700 - demoed this combo at my local HiFi shop and it was stellar. I'll move the tube amp and Klipsch up into the media room.

Well, I've rambled on this morning.... this often happens while typing and drinking my morning coffee... ;) Cheers!

hifinutt
05-05-2017, 17:00
welcome and happy cinco de mayo day !!!

Barry
07-05-2017, 22:45
Welcome to AoS Jimmy

Some nice gear you have there. :)

Enjoy the Forum
Barry