PDA

View Full Version : Buying again: headphones<£100 this time :)

sburrell
15-01-2010, 03:36
So, headphones under £100. Any suggestions? A browse through the forum turned up the Senn HD280 Pro but nothing else in the price range. Personally I'm only thinking Grado, either SR60i or SR80i (these might be doable if I look around). Anything else? Seriously, though---under £100. Don't beguile me with tales of epic headphones for "just a bit more." ;)

They're for the 7510 for TV and music; my laptop for TV-on-demand and World of Warcraft; my iPod touch for AirFoil.

Ta! :)

John
15-01-2010, 07:53
I really love the the HD595 and if you shop around you should find them for under £100
I used to have Ak701 HD600 with upgraded cables and Grados SR80s but more happier with the HD595 nice a puchy without fatique and easy to drive Only gripes is how they look and you cannot uprade cabling

webby
15-01-2010, 08:29
I've got the SR80's and can recommend them. Plus I've added Senn earpads which make them more comfortable. Know anyone on a trip to the states? A mate of mine got them there for $90, around £55; bargain.

Themis
15-01-2010, 09:58
The Grado 60s are not very accurate...
I recommend a pair of ATH-M50 : everybody who has listened to them has bought a pair... ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
15-01-2010, 10:30
I know there is a mixed opionion on these things when it comes to sibilence but I have a pair and they are not all bad. Mine are the standard 681, and I got them for £19 all in - they arnt perfect but for that level of investment they are excelent value for money
http://www.superlux.com.tw/new/html/Frame1.html

Covenant
15-01-2010, 12:10
I know there is a mixed opionion on these things when it comes to sibilence but I have a pair and they are not all bad. Mine are the standard 681, and I got them for £19 all in - they arnt perfect but for that level of investment they are excelent value for money
http://www.superlux.com.tw/new/html/Frame1.html

Hamish have you read about the filter modification? I am going to have a go at this plus cable replacement. I think I will built it in a little box rather than open them up.
Here is the link: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/HD681.pdf

Alex Nikitin
15-01-2010, 15:29
So, headphones under £100. Any suggestions?

Sennheiser HD-25SP and velour pads for these.

Cheers

Alex

sburrell
15-01-2010, 17:59
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick responses! I think I've decided to go with two people's suggestions: Hamish and Webby. I do know someone who's going Stateside, but not immediately. So, Hamish, I think I'll follow your advice and try the Superluxes. The fact that someone liked them enough to prepare an audiophile mod for them says a lot, I reckon. How long is the cable, and does it terminate with a 3.5mm or 6.5mm jack? 3.5mm would be better *fingers crossed*. :)

webby
15-01-2010, 18:14
Also, don't forget the Senn PX100's. I think they've been revised and are said to be even better.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-01-2010, 18:31
Not sure how long the cable is without digging them out, mine came with a 3.5mm plug with a screw on 6.3.... I think
jerry will prob be bette at answering that as mine are still packed away!

The Vinyl Adventure
15-01-2010, 18:34
Hamish have you read about the filter modification? I am going to have a go at this plus cable replacement. I think I will built it in a little box rather than open them up.
Here is the link: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/HD681.pdf

Hmm that's interesting!
In a separate box? That will work the same will it? How are you going to replace the cable?
When you buy the apropriate bits would you concidor getting them twice so I can have a go too?

webby
15-01-2010, 18:40
According to the spec, the cable is 2.5m

alfie2902
15-01-2010, 23:59
Alessandro MS1 about $99 (new version $109)

A re-worked Grado better than the 80 for less money :) No brainer ;)

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

Cheers, alfie

Covenant
18-01-2010, 18:52
Hmm that's interesting!
In a separate box? That will work the same will it? How are you going to replace the cable?
When you buy the apropriate bits would you concidor getting them twice so I can have a go too?

Sorry Hamish I completly forgot about this thread. Yes there is no problem in putting the filter in a separate box. It means you can try different phones with the filter. Cable replacement should be straightforward-just note which wires go where prior to desoldering.
Puffin is making the filter so I will let you know how effective it is in a few days.
I have ordered velour pads as well-dont like the leatherette stuff.

Covenant
20-01-2010, 19:27
The filter is a must for the HD681 headphones which have an exaggerated top end. With the filter in place not only is sibilance corrected but mids and highs become more noticable as the whole thing is more in balance.

The Vinyl Adventure
22-01-2010, 17:29
sweet! ..

so in theory, you could make a box with a jack socket on one side and a cable with a jack on the end out the other? ...

Covenant
25-01-2010, 20:18
QUOTE=hamish;96346]sweet! ..

so in theory, you could make a box with a jack socket on one side and a cable with a jack on the end out the other? ...[/QUOTE]

:exactly:

The Vinyl Adventure
25-01-2010, 22:05
Sweet... Did you make that then or did rob do it?

Covenant
25-01-2010, 22:27
Rob of course-I just stuck the circuit in a box.

The Vinyl Adventure
25-01-2010, 23:57
I've not seen him round this parts of late, has he emigrated?

I have just noticed the upgraded lead too ... Good work (did you do that bit? Was it dificult?)

I think I might have a crack at this my self you know, where did the little box come from?

In terms of value for money how do you rate it, can you give me an idea of the improvements in terms of a comparison to other head phones?

Covenant
26-01-2010, 07:44
Rob is around but I think he spends some time on other forums.
The box was from Maplins-£1.99 I think. The lead was tricky-not at the headphone end but at the jack plug end-fiddly job. When I screwed the cover on it kept shorting. I had to put cardboard between the contacts.
The next thing I am doing is fitting velour pads in place of the leatherette ones. After that its replacing the plastic rings with aluminium......
I am not the person to ask about headphones as I have never really used them before. When I first got them I was very disappointed after the hype. Now they are ok-very revealing and to my ears still slightly harsh at the top end with some recordings. I hope this might be cured by some further work on my 7520 dac.

Puffin
26-01-2010, 08:03
"Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" - Mark Twain.

Hamish. I have got enough parts left to make one more filter.

The Vinyl Adventure
26-01-2010, 14:04
"Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" - Mark Twain.

Hamish. I have got enough parts left to make one more filter.

... good stuff!
you fancy doing a little bit of soldering for me? :eyebrows:

Puffin
26-01-2010, 19:47
... good stuff!
you fancy doing a little bit of soldering for me? :eyebrows:

Yea, why not. I'll PM you with the costs of the parts. Rob.

The Vinyl Adventure
26-01-2010, 19:55
noice one matey!!