PDA

View Full Version : First Post & Introduction....

DJS
02-05-2017, 10:44
Hello To AOS Members,

Have been on the site browsing but thought the benefit of joining was not being enjoyed.

Not very technical on the electronic side of hifi but enjoying my returning interest for vinyl. Although the second hand value is not where it used to be based on the current popularity - any suggestions on sourcing quality at a realistic price would be good - listening to a little of everything to be honest....

At present have an older NA Spacedeck that has been to the Alchemists at NAS last week. Where a clean bill of health was pronounced with some minor tweaks made. I would speak highly of the service provided by all at NAS. Tonearm RB250 fettled by J7 with a Dynavector LO MC - to my ear plays a fine tune. Phono duties via Quad QC 24p with passive volume being used with some lk140 amplification. Speakers are from Anthony Gallo utilising the MPS 150 subwoofer (x2) for super clarity. Would guess there is room to improve the system mainly from tweaks to the rack position etc. So my current focus will be on the isolation, cabling etc route as the sound is to my liking for the present....

DJS

Stryder5
02-05-2017, 11:37
Hello To AOS Members,

Have been on the site browsing but thought the benefit of joining was not being enjoyed.

Not very technical on the electronic side of hifi but enjoying my returning interest for vinyl. Although the second hand value is not where it used to be based on the current popularity - any suggestions on sourcing quality at a realistic price would be good - listening to a little of everything to be honest....

At present have an older NA Spacedeck that has been to the Alchemists at NAS last week. Where a clean bill of health was pronounced with some minor tweaks made. I would speak highly of the service provided by all at NAS. Tonearm RB250 fettled by J7 with a Dynavector LO MC - to my ear plays a fine tune. Phono duties via Quad QC 24p with passive volume being used with some lk140 amplification. Speakers are from Anthony Gallo utilising the MPS 150 subwoofer (x2) for super clarity. Would guess there is room to improve the system mainly from tweaks to the rack position etc. So my current focus will be on the isolation, cabling etc route as the sound is to my liking for the present....

DJS

Hi and welcome, great to be joining in!

As you are looking at possibly changing isolation and/or cabling it may be a good idea to indicate what you have currently?

Gary

DJS
02-05-2017, 21:27
Gary,

Thanks for your response. To date not a lot of funds have been available for cables of an exotic nature. Recently, I have acquired some second hand. The initial plan has been to see what power cable upgrades can deliver - Kimber PK10 awaits some minor diy to produce 3 more manageable lengths with the reduced spaghetti. I am experimenting with QED silver spiral, Altas ?, Custom Cables, Linn (black) and Ghent. Speaker cables some Kimber and Spatial along with some basic twin core electrical cable. Current rack is cannibalised Blok rack but bowing due to weight. I have some wood section kitchen work surface that I intend to use to introduce a bow resistant shelving solution. Might splash out on something more purpose. built in the near future as I wood guess this would bring a better dividend where resonance can be dealt with more effectively than by my diy efforts.

So other than a few focal pods the canvas is fairly blank with regard to the ancillaries. I am sure there will be various avenues to explore that will/could offer improvements...

Cheers DJS.

struth
03-05-2017, 07:19
Hi and welcome Douglas. Youve some good gear there... Hope you enjoy the forum

walpurgis
03-05-2017, 21:07
Hello Douglas. Welcome to AOS.

As you've now joined, feel free to join in with the chat. There's loads going on.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Barry
07-05-2017, 22:41
Welcome to AoS Douglas,

Can't really advise you about cables, as I make my own. If you can manage it try to find a cable dealer who will allow you to try the cables on a 30 day trial period.

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry