PDA

View Full Version : ONIX Addict's system...

ONIX Addict
14-01-2010, 22:18
Hi all!

Here's a picture of my system :

http://images3.hiboox.com/images/5309/dd630011bb48a34eb62281e61d1ec092.jpg (http://www.hiboox.fr/go/images/musique/p1020579,dd630011bb48a34eb62281e61d1ec092.jpg.html )

Sources:
TT: REGA P2 + Goldring 1012GX
CD: SPHINX Myth9 MkII
Tuners: ONIX BWD1, AudioAnalyse T120

Pre-amp:
ONIX OA24 + SOAPII (got 2 of these jewels!! ;) )

Amp:
ONIX OA601 (I'm looking for a second one!!!;) )
ONIX OA401 (2 pieces, input bridged for bi-amping)
ONIX OA21S (integrated amp)

Speakers:
Pierre Etienne LEON ENZO II

Cables
Modulation: SILTECH ST18G3, OELBACH, VDH
Speakers: AUDIOQUEST Indigo

I also have a seocnd system (currently in my daugther's appartement) based on an OA20 driving a pair of LINN KAN II... Nice little gear!

So, as you can read it, I'm really found of ONIX... Started 10 years ago with an OA24 + SOAPII+ 2 OA401... One month ago, I've found on the 'net a full ONIX system (OA24+SOAPII+OA601+BWD1) and an OA21S from a guy in BOSNIA... I assume I hesitate for... 2 seconds before buying the whole batch!:mental:

I've immediatly put the OA601 in operation, instead of the 2 OA401... :stalks::stalks::stalks: What a surprise!!! I don't have enough (English) words to describe the progress I've heared... Just IN CRE DI BLE!!!... So, now, I'm looking for a second OA601 for upgrading the system...

Yes, you're right, I must be nuts!!!
:nocomment:

O.A.;)

The Vinyl Adventure
14-01-2010, 22:30
I'm fairly certain madness is essential to partake in this hobby...
Looks very nice that system!

ONIX Addict
15-01-2010, 08:45
I'm fairly certain madness is essential to partake in this hobby...

So I should be comfortable in it!!! :eek:

Looks very nice that system!

Thanks, and it sounds great too!... At least, in my opinion! ;)

O.A.;)

Themis
15-01-2010, 09:51
What ! No ONIX cables !!! :)
Seriously : concratulations, man ! :stalks:

Tell me, why do you put the marble on top of the gear than under it ? Is it better ? :scratch:

ONIX Addict
15-01-2010, 10:41
What ! No ONIX cables !!! :)
Seriously : concratulations, man ! :stalks:

No, no ONIX cables!!! Know what I deserve : :spank:... :lolsign:

Tell me, why do you put the marble on top of the gear than under it ? Is it better ? :scratch:

Very interesting point! ;) Didn't compare... maybe I should...

IMHO, if marble is used to limit vibrations effect, puting it on the stand, under the gear, just limits the effect of vibes coming from the stand, and the effect is related to the weight... The heavier the less vibes...

Puting it above the gears won't change anything to the effect as the vibes will pass the same way through the stand. I mean the combo "stand/marble/gear" has the same weight than "stand/gear/marble"...

The purpose of puting it above is to limit vibes of the electronics themselves... vibes of the boxes... As the total weight of the combo is the same, you take benefit of both, meaning it limits the vibes of the stand, and the vibes of the boxes...

Don't know if it's clear (as my English is not perfect), but I think it's logical... Would appreciate any advice about it! ;)

Cheers,

O.A. ;)

Themis
15-01-2010, 11:02
IMHO, if marble is used to limit vibrations effect, puting it on the stand, under the gear, just limits the effect of vibes coming from the stand, and the effect is related to the weight... The heavier the less vibes...
You probably mean that the "total mass" is higher, so "inertia" is higher. Ok, I see your point.

But from the mechanical point of view, you "couple" the amplifier to the stand better this way : if you want to avoid transmitting the vibrations of the stand to the amp, this is the worst thing to do !

So it all depends where the vibrations come from : probably the "air" vibrations have less energy than the "floor" ones, so the best imho is to de-couple the amp from the stand by augmenting the stand's mass : putting the marble under, thus...

A careful listen will show which gives the best results. ;)

ONIX Addict
15-01-2010, 11:22
You probably mean that the "total mass" is higher, so "inertia" is higher. Ok, I see your point.

But from the mechanical point of view, you "couple" the amplifier to the stand better this way : if you want to avoid transmitting the vibrations of the stand to the amp, this is the worst thing to do !

So it all depends where the vibrations come from : probably the "air" vibrations have less energy than the "floor" ones, so the best imho is to de-couple the amp from the stand by augmenting the stand's mass : putting the marble under, thus...

A careful listen will show which gives the best results. ;)

Themis,

Thanks for your contribution...

In fact, the stand is on a very "stable" floor (have a look at the picture, it's made of "bricks")... So, I guess it's more impacted by "air" vibrations... So the "inertia" of the stand will be the same with the marble above and/or under... This makes me think that, in this configuration, I have more audible benefits by puting it above the gears...

Well, I promise I'll experience it with marble under the gears... and try to define which is the best way... I think both point of view are good, so the very best (not the cheapest) should be to put some marble above AND under!!! ;)

O.A.;)

ONIX Addict
08-03-2010, 21:41
Hi all!!

An update/upgrade on my system!!! I've bought a pair of Pierre Etienne LEON MODENA speakers... They were the top of the PEL range some years ago, sold new for +/- 4000€, and can compete with some other speakers at very higher price...
Even today, at +/- 1800/2000€, on the second hand market, they really are one of the best French speakers...

The MODENA in my living/listening room ;)

http://images2.hiboox.com/images/0910/d41d108266abb3a81b64a4737bed20c1.jpg

Compared with the ENZO, deeper bass, clearer medium, more detailed trebble, wider and more realist soundscene...

O.A. Wink (Happy mode: On!)

Themis
09-03-2010, 19:50
Very nice choice, Guillaume ! :)

I keep (very) good souvenirs of my (rare) P-E L. Modena listening sessions. Nice midrange, indeed. ;) Is that a piece of marble on them ? :scratch:

ONIX Addict
09-03-2010, 20:09
Very nice choice, Guillaume ! :)

I keep (very) good souvenirs of my (rare) P-E L. Modena listening sessions. Nice midrange, indeed. ;)

I fully agree! But not only: Bass are just incredible, and trebble very fine also!

Is that a piece of marble on them ? :scratch:

Yes, it is! The ones I had on the ENZO... I'll get some shapped for the MODENA... The purpose is to reduce box vibrations... It makes bass more "dry", and medium more defined... Just try it! ;)

O.A. ;)

Themis
09-03-2010, 20:18
Yes, it is! The ones I had on the ENZO... I'll get some shapped for the MODENA... The purpose is to reduce box vibrations... It makes bass more "dry", and medium more defined... Just try it! ;)

Unfortunately, I can't : my Sonus have a soft leather coating on top. Putting something on them would not change much, I'm afraid. Let alone it wouldn't be stable enough... ;)

goraman
14-03-2010, 18:18
:eyebrows:Dose Onix gear come in white?

ONIX Addict
04-03-2011, 14:14
MARCH 2011... UPDATE

Hi All!!!

A short message to confirm that I finally found a second OA601... More recent than my former one...
I also get an OA24 pre + SOAPII with it! ;)

After a few days, trying to solve a trouble of mass loop that hit the short circuit protection of the older 601 when they are both connected, I finally took off the ground connection of both amps and solved it...

Now I have a bi amped set and, as the configuration of the two 601 is not exactely the same, I've chosen the "horizontal" bi amping configuration (see below the chart from, very instructive, Barry's thread on Bi-amping http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5818 )

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/aos_library/HORIZBIAMP.jpg

Only have one word to describe the result: MAGIC!

More space, clearer, more defined, more dynamic, more, more, more everything!!!

Listened, this morning, to Lisa EKDAHL's "BACK ON EARTH", on #2, "Nature Boy", the intro with Bass and voice, it was so clear, precise and... natural that, closing my eyes, I felt as I could kiss her lips...

Incredible improvement!

So that's what I wanted to share with you... ;)

Have a good W.E. !

Cheers!

O.A. ;)

WAD62
04-03-2011, 15:30
HI Guillaume,

That's pretty much the same configuration as I have with my Audiolabs, I started with an S (65wpc) and an SX (65wpc), the S can be a Pre & Power driving the tweeters, and the SX was on the bass...the S is an SX with an integrated pre-amp.

I've now upgraded to the Q preamp, the S has moved into my study, the SX is now driving the tweeters, and I now have a P (100wpc) driving the bass.

I agree with you, I've always found bi-amping gives a much tighter bass, and better soundstage, the Q has 2 pairs of outputs so I don't need to daisy chain the power amps.

:cool: