PDA

View Full Version : The Love turntable

magiccarpetride
01-05-2017, 16:26
What do you guys think about the Love turntable? (https://www.wired.com/2017/02/bizarre-new-love-turntable-rotates-records/)

Is it just bullshit, or does it have the ability to render quality sound? What's the mechanics/geometry of that gimmicky table, and can it really match the performance of a nicely built, well tuned turntable?

struth
01-05-2017, 16:31
interesting.. probably expensive tho

Kvaal
01-05-2017, 17:21
What's the point?

magiccarpetride
01-05-2017, 17:35
What's the point?

There is no point.

struth
01-05-2017, 17:42
i,d like to see one in action...preferably with someone elses records

magiccarpetride
01-05-2017, 17:46
i,d like to see one in action...preferably with someone elses records

:lol:

tlscapital
01-05-2017, 17:50
Been talked about before and got the big "put down" from the good people. Another "hipster" toy/gadget...

hifi_dave
02-05-2017, 08:58
Years ago, Sony brought out a car or minibus thingy which played records in a similar way. It was a runaway success..:rolleyes:

Barry
02-05-2017, 10:52
Years ago, Sony brought out a car or minibus thingy which played records in a similar way. It was a runaway success..:rolleyes:

Yes, I remember that. Not sure if it was ever meant to be taken seriously; no more so than this: http://www.dj-rooms.com/soundwagon-record-player/

mayebaza
02-05-2017, 14:31
Looks like an otherwise kick-start TT con job.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

magiccarpetride
02-05-2017, 16:19
Looks like an otherwise kick-start TT con job.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah, how come we never ever hear about any of those kick-start initiatives? They all just collect the money and go to Maui?

Macca
02-05-2017, 17:22
I guess it has a built in amp and speaker, so how does that speaker vibrating affect tracking? Would you build a speaker into a cartridge and expect it to perform well?

I bet when they built the first one they were so impressed that it wasn't absolutely terrible they thought they had a goer on their hands. Like Grant I would not trust my records on it, not even for fun.

magiccarpetride
02-05-2017, 18:25
I guess it has a built in amp and speaker, so how does that speaker vibrating affect tracking? Would you build a speaker into a cartridge and expect it to perform well?

I bet when they built the first one they were so impressed that it wasn't absolutely terrible they thought they had a goer on their hands. Like Grant I would not trust my records on it, not even for fun.

I once bought a bunch of used records at a garage sale, and later discovered that one of the records contained a different LP inside. The LP in question was by Foghat, which is a fairly lousy band in my opinion. So I'd be happy to subject that Foghat LP to the Love turntable, just to see what happens.

Macca
02-05-2017, 19:20
Oh yeah I could find something really crap to test it. Got a copy of Neil Young 'Life' here somewhere; but even if that went well I'd still not dare put anything good under it

Oddball
02-05-2017, 22:21
All aboard the Love Train

paulf-2007
05-05-2017, 20:31
Yeah, how come we never ever hear about any of those kick-start initiatives? They all just collect the money and go to Maui?nothing new. I saw a program about the Namibian desert, there was a pile of rusting equipment and it turned out that a million pounds was invested, a hundred thousand was used to make it look like they were looking for minerals and the rest disappeared.

Marco
06-05-2017, 08:26
What's the point?

You use it to play Marvin Gaye and 'get jiggy' with your girlfriend, of course! :bonk::bonk:

:D

Marco.

Cas
07-05-2017, 16:41

If see on their kickstarter site can see it in action, it connects to A speaker via wifi which is what their video shows.
Also while playing your precious vinyl on it a young girl will dance around your room, mist be true that also is what their video shows.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/493608538/love-the-worlds-first-intelligent-turntable

Cas
07-05-2017, 16:50
All aboard the Love Train

Positive waves man.