PDA

View Full Version : The Good Grado SR80

southall-1998
28-04-2017, 01:10
Have been using SR80's now for over 6 years. They are a bit flawed, and lacking some refinement. Their presentation is more towards the forward side. Highs can also be provoked with some bad recordings. At the same time they are revealing, and can show the quality differences from each track from the album.

The SR80's have a good certain ability, way of communicating the feeling and beat to the listener's ear. Rhythm and timing is nearly second to none.

What an excellent headphone!! Sound nice with valves too!

EDIT: Just to point out. My SR80's are pretty old. These predate the i & e generation.

S.

Dynamics
28-04-2017, 23:07
Have been using SR80's now for over 6 years. They are a bit flawed, and lacking some refinement. Their presentation is more towards the forward side. Highs can also be provoked with some bad recordings. At the same time they are revealing, and can show the quality differences from each track from the album.

The SR80's have a good certain ability, way of communicating the feeling and beat to the listener's ear. Rhythm and timing is nearly second to none.

What an excellent headphone!! Sound nice with valves too!

EDIT: Just to point out. My SR80's are pretty old. These predate the i & e generation.

S.

I bought some grado sr225's a few years ago and they are fantastic and have a very detailed trebeley sound to them. I only use them with iPods etc, but I should really get a decent headphone amp. I agree with you that grado are fantastic

danilo
28-04-2017, 23:14
Had a pair since `95 Yes they are decent A few (google) easy mods improves them noticeably though.
Worst part is their fit'.
Their WW2 styling is bad enough but their comfort level is anachronistic in the 21st century
Mine tend to the uncomfortable after a half hour or so. Again, there are improvements possible
Best to consider those small but effective upgrades.. before upgrading the Head Amp.

petrat
29-04-2017, 08:35
Agree with your description of the SR80s, Shane. I once spent an afternoon at a dealer who stocked all the Grado headphomes, working my way up the range. It turned out the ones I enjoyed most were the 80s (which were second from bottom, price-wise). Certainly, they had more life and energy about them ... the 'better', more refined, top of the range jobs, sounded rather boring in comparison. I concluded they were the 'Naim' of the headphone world! :lol:

southall-1998
29-04-2017, 20:14
Agree with your description of the SR80s, Shane. I once spent an afternoon at a dealer who stocked all the Grado headphomes, working my way up the range. It turned out the ones I enjoyed most were the 80s (which were second from bottom, price-wise). Certainly, they had more life and energy about them ... the 'better', more refined, top of the range jobs, sounded rather boring in comparison. I concluded they were the 'Naim' of the headphone world! :lol:

Spot on!

S.

Minstrel SE
02-05-2017, 18:27
Hi

Yes Grado make excellent Headphones. Ive still got the SR60s with 414 pads on at the moment. I had better get a move on up the range. I feel well left behind with the i and e range :) I fancy going up to a 325e.

I possibly think there are too many in the lower range 60, 80 125 225. I should probably have bought the 80s. I would like a pair with the hard wired 6.3 only jack but it probably makes little difference having the adapter connector.

I have other headphones for various uses....tv portable use. I like the look of detachable cables now as Ive had headphones fail at the cable connection.

Grado seemed to win awards every year so I thought its time to buy Grado. The shop had me stood up in the corner listening through the headphone output of a Yamaha HDD recorder. It wasnt ideal but I heard enough to like them.

Next time Im finding a dealer with a proper headphone bar and a comfy chair :)

All the best
Martin

Puffin
11-05-2017, 17:25
I have Grado SR60's, good enough for my buggered ears.

Haselsh1
11-05-2017, 18:43
I took delivery of a pair of Grado SR125e's yesterday and have listened a little but haven't had the chance for an extended session. Initial impressions are just where the hell did all of that resolution come from...?

danilo
14-05-2017, 16:22
sans any argument intentions :-)
Erm What? were you listening to previously?
Grados are certainly OK but not That good.
Putting Mine on... Reduces.. detail and dynamics as heard thru my Speakers,
Plus I don't like the in the centre of my head soundstage.
So I simply don't use mine..even when they could be useful ie; wee hours.

Haselsh1
18-05-2017, 08:45
The Grado SR125e's that I now have produce a really nice lively sound with good bass, very neutral midband and larger than life, sharp, decisive treble. They are completely different to the sound my loudspeakers make but then of course that is OK as I bought them as an alternative and not a replacement. I tend to listen mainly to electronic music so headphones are not ideal as they cannot reproduce sub oscillator bass sounds like cabinets can but as I bought mine to use with a Sony Walkman this is absolutely fine.

Spectral Morn
18-05-2017, 13:01
I must say I would never have described Grado's as being forward, compared to other brands of headphones.

I always felt the SR80s the best value headphones back in the day, before you went over £100.

I have a pair of Grado SR1000s and they are a tad fussy regarding proper impedance matching. My Audio Valve RKv 2 impedance matcher was a real blessing in getting the most from the Audio Valve headphone amp.

southall-1998
20-05-2017, 12:12
Happy to report back, the SR60 sound just as good, as the 80's.

S.

danilo
20-05-2017, 16:29
Be surprised if they were different as Sr80's Are Sr60's... rebadged.
Again there are small (1/2 hour DIY ) ,mods to make them more open breathe better that Do make genuine difference.
Grados are essentially reasonable quality voice coil drivers in a ww2 era housing.
Tough to fool with the Voice coils . effectively.
But the Housings? kids have fooled with these happily.
Google is our friend