PDA

View Full Version : A810 alert

Audio Al
25-04-2017, 15:47
As seen on eBay

Very nice , out of my price range though :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Legendary-Studer-A810-mastering-reel-to-reel-tape-recorder-/162488724183?hash=item25d5152ad7:g:kyEAAOSwtZJY~dW 8

:reel:ħħ:reel:

neskor
25-04-2017, 17:55
Expensive ;)
Here I can find nice A810, fully restored and calibrated for 2K, but without VU meters.

Lodgesound
25-04-2017, 20:28
This the list price from when these were new in 1984 - bear in mind that the A810 was the ENTRY level of a range that culminated with the A820 which cost nearly sixty thousand pounds at the time.

This is immaculate and has all the latest mods and software - hence it has commercial value now to a mastering house or studio.

Neskor - the answer is that you will just about find a reasonable one of these without a bridge or meters for around 4 thousand pounds now.

Since the release of the Ballfinger machine machines such as this are no longer viable costwise for a domestic end user. Those folk who already have such a thing benefitted hugely from the period in history before it was actually thought that there would be a future in releasing open reel pre recorded tapes to the market (I generally believe that this is not the case and will never be as the actual cost versus what folk will actually pay for such little titbits as do get released are way too disparate).

I think users of the format genuinely believe that albums could be released for 35 pounds each which is just ridiculous and could not/will not ever happen.

Couple these points with the fact that a machine such as this VASTLY exceeds the quality of anything a domestic end user will own / use in terms of quality. When machines like this were in commercial use to make master tapes for vinyl replication in the 80's the cost of making a tape on one alone was £400 and that was then!! We charged these machines out to clients at nearly 200 pounds an hour minus tape stock and engineering staff! There are very few domestic end users with either the time ability or knowledge to use one of these properly.....you need proper monitoring, tone generators, line up regimes etc. They are simply NOT domestic toys.

The unfortunate fact is that a well set up Studer is with VERY few exceptions one of the best tape recorders in the world.

The bubble will burst domestically soon with these machines.

Cas
26-04-2017, 08:46
Whoa what a lovely piece of kit, way out of my price range though.