PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox problem - dead?

dave2010
24-04-2017, 09:59
I read about the BBC R3 Flac trial, and have just been trying to get this to work with my Squeezebox, which is apparently possible.
See http://www.for3.org/forums/showthread.php?16919-Radio-3-being-broadcast-in-FLAC&p=617046#post617046

I have two SBs - the original is a Classic, and a Touch. I set up the server and the plugins on a machine which didn't have those before (Apple iMac running El C), and then turned my attention to the Squeezebox hardware - which hasn't been used for a while.

Horrors!!! It doesn't seem to power up. I don't know why - but I do wonder if the PSU has failed. I had a look for another, and the one for the Touch would seem to be compatible - though it's 3A model rather than 2A - both are 5V. It's quite unlikely that a manufacturer would change the polarity, but nothing would surprise me completely, so will it be OK to plug it in to the Classic?

Although the unit may already be dead, I don't want to make sure of its death by attaching a PSU which will put the final touches.

As I recall, when powered up it flashes some logos for a minute or so, then waits for input from the remote, but may eventually play dead unless buttons on the remote are pressed.

If this fails, I shall fish out the Touch, and see if I can get that to work, but I'll be sad if my SB3 has gone to glory.

StanleyB
24-04-2017, 10:05
Be careful that you don't accidentally plug a 12V power supply into the SBT! I have had a look at that issue for a few people, but none of their SBT could be revived. The last one I was sent to look at happened to be the one from DaveK as it happens. He passed away about 12 days after posting it to me unfortunately, and I just can't find it in my heart to put the dead unit in the bin.

dave2010
24-04-2017, 11:02
Be careful that you don't accidentally plug a 12V power supply into the SBT! I have had a look at that issue for a few people, but none of their SBT could be revived. The last one I was sent to look at happened to be the one from DaveK as it happens. He passed away about 12 days after posting it to me unfortunately, and I just can't find it in my heart to put the dead unit in the bin.Thanks for that. I am aware of the problem - as I have other Logitech devices which are 12V.

I now always peer very carefully at the PSUs to find out what outputs they have, and also the devices. One device I was going to test out even had a 15V AC input IIRC - which somewhat threw me - I thought that was very odd. Most are DC. I am wary about using PSUs which are not well matched to the equipment. Sometimes they work, but the smell of overheating transformer coils or other parts gradually builds up - not recommended for anything other than a short test.

Is there anything which can be done with SBTs which don't respond, other than bin them - assuming they've not been fried by the PSU?

Stratmangler
24-04-2017, 11:53
I'd echo what Stan says about checking the power supplies - the Squeezebox units don't respond well to 12vdc being stuck up 'em, as it tends to bring the majick smoke.
You need 5vdc with centre pin positive.

dave2010
24-04-2017, 13:11
SB3 lives!

Just tried with the Touch PSU and the flash screen came up, so that's OK. Should work now I think, though might need reconfiguring.

Is it "normal" for PSUs to fail - the original's obviously been plugged in for quite a while, and I didn't realise it was failing.

Not sure if I should continue with the Touch PSU - it says it should only with the Touch, though my guess is it should be OK. Where can I get another PSU for the original?

Stratmangler
24-04-2017, 13:17
Does the Touch work with the same PSU as you've used on the SB3/Classic?
The Touch is a better player by far.