PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Swindon

Mick Parry
01-05-2008, 18:53
Chaps

I have been lurking here for a few weeks and I like the way this forum is going. No commies or pinkos seem to be around and no bloody recommending the bodging up of Naim kit which is good.

Also good topics with a sensible standard of debate.

Regards

Mick

Marco
01-05-2008, 19:02
Well, well... Good evening, Mick and a very warm welcome to the forum :youtheman:

How are you these days, old chap?

Marco.

Mick Parry
01-05-2008, 19:07
How are you these days, old chap?

To be honest, bloody knackered, I am belting up and down motorways like a bloody sales rep. My carbon footprint must be lethal.

Good to see you got the vinyl bug, try buying some Jazz Lp's, nothing does Jazz like vinyl.

Regards and best wishes.

Mick

jcbrum
01-05-2008, 19:22
Hello Mick, :).

Marco
01-05-2008, 19:28
You should be taking it easy at your age, old chap, and relaxing shooting the odd pheasant.

Have you changed your Briks, yet? I know you were on the lookout for different speakers.

Hey, all we need is Bub to make an appearance now ;)

You might not believe it, but I would welcome him.

Marco.

Mick Parry
01-05-2008, 19:42
Marco

Yes i should be taking it easy but the lure of the filthy lucre etc etc.

Yes I still have the Briks, the honest truth is that they are on one level of Mana and I cannot find anything to beat them.

I heard a pair of 15" Tannoys from the 1970s down near Salisbury but Mrs Mick threated to alter my anatomy with a knife if I brought them home. Pity because the sound was sublime.

I think she might go for a pair of the modern version

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php?product=133&title=Turnberry+SE&s=27

Regards

Mick

PS Why don't you write Bub a nice letter.

Marco
01-05-2008, 20:32
Hi Mick,

I guess I could do that but it would be quicker sending an email, and I no longer have his address. If you've got it, by all means pop him an email with a link to The Art of Sound. The thing is I don't hold grudges no matter the past, and I also certainly know that I was no angel. Life's too short for bad vibes to dwell forever. This place is a clean slate so all are welcome :)

The Tannoys are very nice, but if you're happy with the Briks why change?

I'm loving vinyl these days, and like you say, there is some fantastic Jazz stuff about. It's a very diverse genre. I like Stanley Clarke a lot and Duke Ellington. I've also been listening to some vintage Nat King Cole on original and virtually mint 1950s pressings from Capitol.

Marco.

Mike
01-05-2008, 20:37
Blimey!..... This is shaping up to be something of a PF reunion, not to mention the Naim forum!

:lolsign:

Iain Sinclair
03-05-2008, 09:29
Blimey!..... This is shaping up to be something of a PF reunion, not to mention the Naim forum!

:lolsign:

Any sign of John Watson yet?

Marco
03-05-2008, 09:34
Hi Iain,

Welcome to the forum :)

Stangely enough I was thinking of inviting him to join! :lol:

Knowing him pretty well I doubt he'd do it, though.

Marco.

Steve Toy
03-05-2008, 12:07
I'm a bit late but good to see you here Mick.

No commies or pinkos seem to be around and no bloody recommending the bodging up of Naim kit which is good.

Regarding the first point I think this is more of a Telegraph readers' forum. PFM is more for the Guardian types. Have a look at our Boris Johnson thread in the Abstract Chat section.

Regarding the second, I've come to realise that if you like the Naim way of reproducing recorded music (and I do but there are alternatives that meet my own requirements) then the only way to achieve it is to buy something unadulterated. Upgrading basically then gives you more of the same.

I'd like you to accept that whilst modified Naim is no longer working as it was originally designed and as such sounds different, it is good in its own and different right. There really is no better or worse, just different and to suit your own tastes.

That is what this forum is basically about.

It would be nice to see your pics in our Gallery and perhaps for you to add something to our What is the Art of Sound? thread.

DAVEDWACK
03-05-2008, 19:23
Hi Mick,

Welcome to Lurkersville, that makes two of us now!:lol:

Cheers....Dave

Andy831
07-10-2008, 10:59
Good to see you here Mick.

Mick is partly responsible for both the front and back end of my system. Conversations with Mick in the other place has lead to me ditching my NAS Spacedeck and buying a 301and a 401. He also put me on the road to self destruct by getting me interested in Tannoy loudspeakers, I now have two wardrobes with 15" dc drivers in the corners of my listening room....

Thanks for the help and advice Mick.