PDA

View Full Version : Firebottle Air Hybrid Power amp

ianlenco
22-04-2017, 15:27
Rationalising amplification to raise funds for another project I've decided to keep my valve amp and let this go. No need for me to praise Alan Firebottle's work as he's well known here
I bought this in January this year from Kevin (CageyH) and am the second owner. Kevin has upgraded to Alan's Firebottle monoblocks. If you want to know what it sounds like, it doesn't, it's as neutral as anything and just lets the music through throwing up a big, detailed soundstage with no nasties to spoil your enjoyment.

More info here. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?42381-Firebottle-AIR-hybrid-Power-Amplifier

Condition is excellent although I did find a tiny nick on the back of the top plate when preparing for photos.

http://i.imgur.com/NeatRgMh.jpg#gWPQG

http://i.imgur.com/zl4RJG0h.jpg#gWPQG

http://i.imgur.com/ngt3HaJh.jpg#gWPQG

http://i.imgur.com/BgJZB9ah.jpg#gWPQG

http://i.imgur.com/LTJ26lih.jpg#gWPQG

http://i.imgur.com/14dFPp2h.jpg#gWPQG

The last image is where I tried to photograph the nick.
This example was updated to current spec for the previous owner and includes a front knob to select between mute, high impedance and low impedance so you can use either an active or passive pre.
I'm looking for £425 plus £15 postage. Payment by Paypal gift if you want it posting or cash on collection/meet at mutually agreeable place.
I'm also selling an Emotiva pre amp - see other listing - so if you want both I'm sure we can discuss a discount.

ianlenco
27-04-2017, 07:26
Open to sensible offers.

itskeith
27-04-2017, 09:06
Recommend for buying bits off Ian.

I've bought items of Ian before, he's a pleasure to deal with and they were exactly as he described.

Bigman80
27-04-2017, 10:19
Recommend for buying bits off Ian.

I've bought items of Ian before, he's a pleasure to deal with and they were exactly as he described.
Fantastic amp and very easily turned into a dual mono which performs at about a 80% level of the FB monos. Alan is always on hand too so this is a great purchase for anyone interested

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

ianlenco
27-04-2017, 11:24
Thanks guys. Looks like it is sold stp.

Bigman80
27-04-2017, 11:25
Sweet. Someone will be a happy chappy.

ianlenco
27-04-2017, 11:43
Stop it Oliver, I'm already in two minds as to whether I'm selling the right amps :lol:

Macca
27-04-2017, 14:25
What are you keeping?

Bigman80
27-04-2017, 14:54
Stop it Oliver, I'm already in two minds as to whether I'm selling the right amps [emoji38]
Id question your sanity personally 😂😂😂

CageyH
27-04-2017, 15:23
Stop it Oliver, I'm already in two minds as to whether I'm selling the right amps :lol:

You already know my answer to that.

ianlenco
27-04-2017, 15:25
What are you keeping?

The World Designs KEL84 I bought from Peter (Petrat). It goes rather nicely with the Kelly Transducer KT2 speakers I've just refurbished - there's a thread on here somewhere. I'm also into the reduce the box count phase - the KEL is an integrated amp. No doubt in the future I'll go pre-power again. :scratch: :doh: The Firebottle worked very well too with my Emotiva pre now up for sale.

Macca
27-04-2017, 15:43
Right, difficult choices.

struth
27-04-2017, 15:53
Had a kel84 power once

Bigman80
27-04-2017, 15:56
Looks a really nice amp mate. Also means someone else gets the chance to live with and love a Firebottle Amp.

martian sunrise
27-04-2017, 16:03
That will be me. I missed out on Brian's Croft last week, so I'd appreciate it you guys didn't try and talk Ian out of it too... :)

Just joking. I'm looking forward to getting it going. I am just going to run it with a passive pre at the moment, until I work out what to do with my pre/phone set up.

Bigman80
27-04-2017, 16:13
Great purchase mate. Its a very very good amp and a better price.

ianlenco
27-04-2017, 16:55
That will be me. I missed out on Brian's Croft last week, so I'd appreciate it you guys didn't try and talk Ian out of it too... :)

Just joking. I'm looking forward to getting it going. I am just going to run it with a passive pre at the moment, until I work out what to do with my pre/phone set up.

What you need is my Emotiva pre with phono stage - worked brilliantly with the Firebottle :) (creeps away after shameless plug)

martian sunrise
27-04-2017, 17:20
I am sure it is amazing, it's just beyond me without selling some gear first. I shouldn't really have gone for this, but I have been really keen to try a hybrid pre/power combo (a la croft/firebottle) for a while. I've got a firebottle phono stage, which i love, so i might look at a kin pre and move the phono stage on.

i might have a chat with alan and see how much better the phono stage in the kin is compared to the plus, then start saving my pocket money. I can't bring myself to ell the big pioneer on...

Bigman80
27-04-2017, 17:53
I am sure it is amazing, it's just beyond me without selling some gear first. I shouldn't really have gone for this, but I have been really keen to try a hybrid pre/power combo (a la croft/firebottle) for a while. I've got a firebottle phono stage, which i love, so i might look at a kin pre and move the phono stage on.

i might have a chat with alan and see how much better the phono stage in the kin is compared to the plus, then start saving my pocket money. I can't bring myself to ell the big pioneer on...
There is going to be a phono stage shootout of the FB-OTP, FB+ & FB KIN/Vivant against a Tron Convergence in a couple of weeks or so. Ill write up the findings anyway so you will have a resource to reference. Subscribe (if you haven't) to alans trade page. Thats where it will appear

martian sunrise
02-05-2017, 19:51
WOW.

martian sunrise
02-05-2017, 20:20
I am stunned by this amp. It isn't even in my main system and it is glorious. I have Spotify playing out my iPhone, into a Tisbury passive and out through some minstrels. Incredible.

CageyH
02-05-2017, 20:26
It's pretty good isn't it?
I still prefer the Monoblocks though...

martian sunrise
02-05-2017, 20:33
It's phenomenal. I have a pretty modest set-up, which I thought sounded pretty good, but this is something else. The monoblocks must be sensational.

I fear the big old Pioneer will get laid to waste by this amp and relegated once the Firebottle gets plugged into the Eatons.

Did you run your Kin through this?

CageyH
02-05-2017, 20:59
I did.
The Air replaced some much more expensive monoblocks.
The Kin through the air was superb, but the Kin driving the Monoblocks just takes it up a notch.

ianlenco
02-05-2017, 21:05
I am stunned by this amp. It isn't even in my main system and it is glorious. I have Spotify playing out my iPhone, into a Tisbury passive and out through some minstrels. Incredible.

Hi Richie,
Glad your happy with the amp. Thanks for a smooth transaction.

Ian

vinylspinner
02-05-2017, 21:10
Hello Richie,

Nice meeting you tonight, pleased that you are enjoying the pre amp.

Nigel

martian sunrise
02-05-2017, 21:11
Nice to meet you both! Thanks!