PDA

View Full Version : Soundstage and headphones.

Covenant
12-01-2010, 08:55
The percieved reproduction of a stage with the musicians and instruments in their intended position is something I value when listening to speakers. With headphones I am not sure whats going on, voices and instruments are mainly inside my head.
Is this something you get used to?

Haselsh1
12-01-2010, 12:21
I never did get used to it which is why I do not currently own headphones.

Themis
12-01-2010, 12:59
Yes.

What you can expect from (hi-quality) headphones is precision. The kind of precision which goes down to 20Hz.

Otherwise you need a Smyth Realiser A-8 (or similar). It is a device which reproduces the exact sound of your speakers and room, even if you move. The virtual speakers stay at their place when you move your head (position is calculated every 10ms if I recall properly).
The quality is outstanding, and you can't make the difference with your real speakers (if you have a good quality headphones, of course).
It costs around £4k I think. ;)

StanleyB
12-01-2010, 14:09
The percieved reproduction of a stage with the musicians and instruments in their intended position is something I value when listening to speakers. With headphones I am not sure whats going on, voices and instruments are mainly inside my head.
Try headphones that have a slanted layout. Like the top of the range SONY ones, and the Sennheiser HD800. These create a far better soundstage. My Sony MDR-F1 is the best I have ever heard in terms of 3D soundstage.

Covenant
12-01-2010, 15:02
Thanks Stan, I am still unsure whether cans are right for me. The ones I am using are not well known (Superlux) but are attracting rave reviews over on Rock Grotto. I find them sibilant and have tried the THS4032 op-amp in place of the LM4562 in my Caimanised 7520. Although the SQ is marginally better I get some break-up of sound. Leo did warn that this op-amp was unsuitable if you have the MCL5/6 mod.
Is there something in the later mods that allows you to use this op-amp because I seem to remember you saying you preferred it too?

Maximum
14-01-2010, 12:19
I'm currently using AD826 in both sockets, which seems to work quite well with my Grado's. I'm not totally convinced on the line out with this combo versus the LM4562, but conditions on that side aren't ideal anyway so most listening is through headphones and any judgement wouldn't hold weight. This is with MLC 5/6 mod and Grado SR125's, no wolfson upgrade just yet.

Covenant
14-01-2010, 16:35
I might try a AD826. The Wolfson chip takes no prisoners-its very revealing.

StanleyB
14-01-2010, 21:04
Is there something in the later mods that allows you to use this op-amp because I seem to remember you saying you preferred it too?
I would have to look in your DAC to see. Maybe send it to me later in the year when I have more time. I got some building work coming up soon in order to increase the size of my workshop.

Covenant
14-01-2010, 22:10
I would have to look in your DAC to see. Maybe send it to me later in the year when I have more time. I got some building work coming up soon in order to increase the size of my workshop.

But that would meen being without my Standac-not sure I could cope with that! :lol:
Seriously mine is just a basic 7520, 4562 op-amps, Wolfson chipset and MCL5/6 snipped.