PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for replacement mat

losepete
16-04-2017, 23:00
Hi All

I have a late 1980s Linn LP that could do with a new mat.

The question is do I get a standard Linn felt mat or try something else eg an Acrimat from Inspire HiFi?

Thoughts and experiences from Linn owners especially welcome.

alphaGT
17-04-2017, 07:30
This prompted me to read up on the Acromat, not cheap, but they've got a world of positive feedback. I may try one on my acrylic platter. If I don't get along with it, I can recover most of my money on eBay. Presently I'm using no mat. At least it does have some theory behind it. A felt mat certainly doesn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chris@panteg
17-04-2017, 08:25
Former LP12 owner here, I remember experimenting with mats and I ended up using the Ringmat mk4 or something, can't remember but it was genuinely better I believe, the standard felt mat is prone to static and sticks to your vinyl.

Sonically the felt is ok but seems to add a sort of soft and murky quality compared to the Ringmat which sound's cleaner in comparison.

One thing to remember is not to use a heavy mat because it will upset the suspension so an Achromat is a good choice but it was the Ringmat for me on a Linn.

Bigman80
17-04-2017, 08:48
Ive had an achromat and didnt rate it. Im now using a heavy leather platter mat which is much better. Id like to try a spectra though.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

alphaGT
18-04-2017, 08:04
Ive had an achromat and didnt rate it. Im now using a heavy leather platter mat which is much better. Id like to try a spectra though.

A leather mat, I've not heard of that? Interesting.

Bigman80
18-04-2017, 08:06
A leather mat, I've not heard of that? Interesting.

They are fairly cheap. 3mm. Very good. I got mine from ebay.

alphaGT
18-04-2017, 08:09
They are fairly cheap. 3mm. Very good. I got mine from ebay.

I will definitely try that! Always looking for a good tweak.