PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon Quintet Black Moving Coil Cartridge - Like New

RobbieGong
16-04-2017, 13:16
Rare opportunity to purchase this excellent cartridge at a big saving.

I've hardly used this as my system has been down for the best part of a year where my amp has undergone a lot of diagnostic to trace an intermittent hum and then a full re-cap.

My turntable power supply was sold here too and i'm still waiting to receive my new Paul Hynes power supply and triple stage regs.

I'd be surprised if there are 40 hours on this cart or if it is even properly run it yet.

The sides I have spun on it I can whole heartedly say it is an excellent quality cart, think 2M Black, same superb Shibata stylus, oodles of detail retrieval but with a touch more refinement as you'd expect being moving coil.

Top end is smooth, never harsh, bass is not quite as heavy or fat as the 2MB mm but is more insightful, better delineated in terms of texture.

It plays with a decorum and accuracy that gets right inside the music / recording in a musical and non fatiguing way, just how I like it. loads of reviews online, here's one http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ortofon-quintet-black-moving-coil-cartridge-fast-clean-nimble-and-detailed#M4Xm3boOOIL5uBD8.97

Wins award here https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/Quintet-Black-Award-c697

I thought I'd have this until the wheels fell off it BUT the only opportunity that would make me move it on has arisen and those who know me here will know it can only be its bigger sibling the Cadenza Black which came at a price I just could not let pass. As a result I'm now the proud owner of one, a lot sooner than I ever imagined i would be, not even heard it yet but hey ho, it's tucked away for when my system is back up in all it's glory ;)

Must now recoup some of the recent outlay hence this opportunity.

This is the original QB with the high end boron cantilever.

You might know that Ortofon recently announced they have stopped using boron for the cantilever on the Quintet Black due to cost and low supplies of boron so current models going forward use a sapphire cantilever instead. They will continue to use boron on their higher end carts like the Cadenza Black and so on.

Low low miles, boxed with all original bits and pieces as she came and as in pics. Kind Admin if you could kindly enlarge pics please - would be much appreciated - Thanks.

Looking for £400 delivered which I think is great considering what it is and that it has had minimum use.

2MB's are now pushing from £475 - £500, a new Quintet Black is averaging around £650

PayPal gift please - pm with interest or any questions. First come first served :)

(I'll try to respond as quickly as possible although I do have a hospital visit to make.)

Dubster68
16-04-2017, 18:56
Very nice price Rob. If I hadn't just bought my 2M Black,MN Plinth and Bearing I would have jumped at this as its a bargain:D

Very nice upgrade for someone with a great saving over new:D.

RobbieGong
16-04-2017, 19:52
Very nice price Rob. If I hadn't just bought my 2M Black,MN Plinth and Bearing I would have jumped at this as its a bargain:D

Very nice upgrade for someone with a great saving over new:D.

Thanks Mick, You know how I feel about the Ortofon Shibata Blacks - just fab.

There isnt a huge amount between the 2MB and the Quintet B, the differences are very subtle as you'd expect one being mm and the other mc - same great way of pulling the music and detail out of those grooves. As I say as refined as the 2MB is the Quintet B has the same sound but with a touch more transparency, refinement and insight.

Not been able to hear the Cadenza B yet but I can only imagine the same magic with even more insight of timbre, texture and life likeness of individual parts. Someone told me they have read the QB described as 80% of the Cadenza B. Now that is saying something considering new Cadenzas B's are fetching upwards of £1800 and would explain why the QB is referred to as an 'audiophile bargain' :)

RobbieGong
17-04-2017, 17:38
BUMP ! A bargain for someone otherwise will go on the Bay at £450 to cover sellers fee.

It will sell :)

pager8
18-04-2017, 18:03
Hello,
I am interested in your Quintet

Regards

pager8

RobbieGong
18-04-2017, 22:05
Hello,
I am interested in your Quintet

Regards

pager8

Sorry Geoff,
I received a private message around the same time which I spotted and responded to first unfortunately.

RobbieGong
18-04-2017, 22:10
SOLD