PDA

View Full Version : Jazz at the pawnshop (sort of)

rogerp
15-04-2017, 16:51
I have recently been enjoying "jazz at the pawnshop" and it's feeling of intimacy. I'm curious if there are any other recordings, irrespective of genre, that catch the same vibe?

Any suggestions?

Arkless Electronics
15-04-2017, 17:38
I believe there is a "Jazz at the pawnshop 2" available and maybe a "3" as well... Can't remember if they're actually called "2" etc or "more jazz at.."/whatever.

theabbot
15-04-2017, 17:57
Jazz at the Pawnshop 2 is/was available but no No.3

struth
15-04-2017, 18:00
The first one is best imo.

newton
19-04-2017, 15:36
have eva taylor live at pawnshop on opus,excellent

Chivas
19-04-2017, 20:11
Most of the Proprius lables capture that vibe, worth exploring further. A personal favourite is Antiphone Blues if you like organ and sax. Back to back by Duke and Johnny Hodges is also great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
30-04-2017, 13:09
This is another excellent album from the Pawnshop collection
http://www.popsike.com/pix/20070213/300081237486.jpg (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjZlauPoMzTAhVBXBoKHXYHDD0QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.popsike.com%2FGOOD-VIBES-AT-THE-PAWNSHOP-LP-PROPRIUS-REGA-NEW-COPY%2F300081237486.html&psig=AFQjCNGHEUEmTJQeKFeffRmMNTMDe1YbHg&ust=1493644122407503)

Chivas
17-05-2017, 17:57
Do you know of a good place where I can buy that album. Found one on Discogs but it's quite pricey!

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
20-05-2017, 11:49
Sorry for the late reply, have been away with work.
I bought mine from one of the HiFi shows, Manchester I think years ago.
Never really seen it advertised recently, it is well worth searching out though.

Take a look here;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazz-at-Pawnshop-Various/dp/B000BZDGF0

Do you know of a good place where I can buy that album. Found one on Discogs but it's quite pricey!

Saber
01-06-2017, 20:46
Nighthawks at the diner. Tom Waits

If i'm right, from what I understand, they set up in the studio for the recording, the brought tables and chairs in an created a "bar" in the studio.. I Love that recording.

jazzpiano
13-07-2017, 22:53
Hmmm, all great recommendations. With jazz, there are an awful lot of intimate records, though most are probably not as vividly recorded at 'Pawnshop'. Here's a few that come to mind for me and (almost) all jazz:

Jimmy Rowles: The Special Magic of Jimmy Rowles (piano and bass; recorded at friend's apartment in New York; music for the afterlight of a candle)
Dexter Gordon's later records, especially live, do a little research first (I like Lullaby for a Monster and The Shadow of Your Smile, both on Steeplechase)
Bill Evans: Tokyo Concert (many are familiar with his great River-sides, but this is a nice, contemplative record)
Ellis Larkins: Manhattan at Midnight (pno)
same: Gregory's Presents a Concert Recording of Ellis Larkins and Al Hall (private recording issued by the night club Gregory's; piano and bass; also, while not common but, not all that hard to find either)
Anything by Paul Desmond with Jim Hall
Gerry Mulligan: Night Lights (also a terrific recording)

non-jazz, singer-songwriter (I hate that descriptor):

Townes Van Zandt Live at The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas

Best,
Barry

PS: someone recommended Tom Waits and I agree, not from the same record but, youtube his tunes "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love With You", "Martha", and "Heart of Saturday Night", all quite intimate.

DGP
14-07-2017, 07:45
I'd recommend Carmen Gomes Thousand Shades of Blue Sound Liaison. Recorded at ‘Studio Eleven’, Hilversum, The Netherlands, in front of a live audience on September 15, 2012. Stunning recording - only heard downloads and don't know what physical media it's available on.
DGP

WESTLOWER
15-08-2017, 08:36
Horace Silver - Doin' the thing
any Art Pepper Live, there are a few.
Jimmy Smith - Root Down (Live)
Tubby Hayes - Down in the Village (live at Ronnies)

I appreciate how well Arne Domnérus Jazz at the Pawn shop disc was recorded and cut but the material is pretty...Meh! IMHO
Tin Hat on and ready!!

montesquieu
15-08-2017, 09:50
Jazz at the Prawnshop - hmmm I like prawns - yes it's well recorded but you'd never confuse it with a Blue Note recording .... my wife calls it 'white people's jazz' and always gives me a hard time if I put it on (I have both sets on vinyl). I can't help thinking of that Steve Martin film 'The Jerk ... ;)

Funnily enough I'm in Stockholm next week for work but the first time I went there I looked out 'Stampen' the nightclub in the old bit of town where the albums were recorded, unfortunately no jazz only a so-so kind of sub-Abba-ish local pop band (thankfully free entry). I was a bit disappointed.

WESTLOWER
16-08-2017, 12:19
Prawns are very nice.