PDA

View Full Version : Genesis "Selling England By The Pound"

magiccarpetride
11-04-2017, 20:11
Now the exact opposite story from yesterday's "Aqualung" -- bought a Genesis LP in pretty good condition, plays nicely, but the bass is phenomenally deep, bloomy, overwhelming, almost to the point of suffocating!

I have both 1994 and 2007 digital remasters, and the bass on them is not nearly as prominent as on the LP. I'm not saying that I don't like it on the LP -- it's actually gorgeous, super deep, warm as fuck -- but the difference between digital and analogue is stunning, to say the least.

Anyone else shares similar experiences with the Brexit, er... Selling England LP?

Stratmangler
11-04-2017, 22:31
Sounds like you need to set your TT up properly.

magiccarpetride
11-04-2017, 22:41
Sounds like you need to set your TT up properly.

Hmm, that would be quite a challenge. If among hundreds of LPs that play divinely well I bump into two that are sounding off, does that invalidate all the other gorgeous sounding LPs?

Stratmangler
11-04-2017, 22:46
Then there's something wrong with your pressing.
It all probability the answer is a bit of both.

magiccarpetride
11-04-2017, 22:54
Then there's something wrong with your pressing.
It all probability the answer is a bit of both.

My TT was set up by a local TT guru (many people know him and recommend him). I'd go with faulty pressing, because almost anything else I listen to sounds too good to be true.

Stratmangler
11-04-2017, 23:20
The '94 CD remaster has greater bass presence than the earlier LP, but there's not much in it.

All the Gabriel era Genesis albums sound pretty crappy, to be honest.
I wouldn't be surprised to find that the tape machines were running at 7.5 ips, because as a band they didn't start making profit until the back end of the 1970s, maybe even the early 1980s.

magiccarpetride
11-04-2017, 23:40
The '94 CD remaster has greater bass presence than the earlier LP, but there's not much in it.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the tape machines were running at 7.5 ips, because as a band they didn't start making profit until the back end of the 1970s, maybe even the early 1980s.

Very interesting. I find Foxtrot really muddy sounding in any format. Selling England doesn't sound bad on the CD (both the 94 remaster and on the 2007 remix, although the latter tends to sound somewhat bleached).

I do suspect that I have a weird copy of Selling England LP. The bass is amazing, but the piano and drums sound a bit muffled.

Floyddroid
13-04-2017, 21:41
Interesting views chaps. Both of which i find myself at odds with. Selling England By The Pound is my fave Genesis album and i have never experienced the same problems with regards to the bass. If anything i prefer the vinyl version of which i have the original and the later 200g pressings and they sound wonderful. All down to preference methinks. In the past i did notice that bass especially bass pedals used on early Genesis albums sounded wonderful whilst using some cartridges and slightly wayward when using others. I have a sneaky feeling that the copies you guys have could sound a tad better if you put them through a RCM a couple of times. They're getting on a bit you know?

struth
13-04-2017, 22:03
Was a big fan of the original band back in day. Cant say I ever noticed but then I probably wasnt too bothered. Certainly sure none were a mile out

Stratmangler
13-04-2017, 22:15
Was a big fan of the original band back in day. Cant say I ever noticed but then I probably wasnt too bothered. Certainly sure none were a mile out

Back in the day just about everyone had ceramic cartridges.
Perhaps there lies the gateway to the mystery.

Just played a nice new copy of Nursery Cryme (2007 remix/remaster), and the sound of it took me back 40 or so years .....

walpurgis
13-04-2017, 22:29
Back in the day just about everyone had ceramic cartridges.

Some ceramic cartridges actually sound quite decent. Acos and Decca spring to mind. Not the most refined sound maybe, but surprisngly transparent and lots of vitality.

struth
13-04-2017, 22:32
might be some truth in that on the earier ones initially. Too long agao now lol. I know at time they sounded great to me, along with Zeppelin, The Groundhogs, Sabbath and Family that was my staple of the time.

Stratmangler
13-04-2017, 22:35
Some ceramic cartridges actually sound quite decent. Acos and Decca spring to mind. Not the most refined sound maybe, but surprisngly transparent and lots of vitality.

Funnily enough, it's the vitality that had me rapt throughout Nursery Cryme just now.
It had a similar vitality and vivid quality back in '73/'74.

walpurgis
13-04-2017, 22:42
Funnily enough, it's the vitality that had me rapt throughout Nursery Cryme just now.
It had a similar vitality and vivid quality back in '73/'74.

Ah. Well if you like that, you'll have to get a Decca London! :D

Light Dependant Resistor
13-04-2017, 23:31

IMO all the Gabriel Genesis albums sound excellent. Nursery Cryme is the best recording of that era
Maybe time to update your equipment, so you can hear what really happened back then.

Cheers / Chris

Light Dependant Resistor
14-04-2017, 06:30
This page telling of Lebor Gabála Érenn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebor_Gab%C3%A1la_%C3%89renn
is interesting reading in context of some Genesis Gabriel era songs like Suppers Ready, and Gabriel solo career songs
In particular the albums Trespass, Foxtrot, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and the song Here Comes the Flood, from Peters first solo album.

Such imagination to put these ideas into song is sadly missing today, but thankfully preserved in recordings.
we can still enjoy. A unique time in music history.

Floyddroid
14-04-2017, 07:47
This page telling of Lebor Gabála Érenn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebor_Gab%C3%A1la_%C3%89renn
is interesting reading in context of some Genesis Gabriel era songs like Suppers Ready, and Gabriel solo career songs
In particular the albums Trespass, Foxtrot, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and the song Here Comes the Flood, from Peters first solo album.

Such imagination to put these ideas into song is sadly missing today, but thankfully preserved in recordings.
we can still enjoy. A unique time in music history.

I would agree with both of your last replies.

Haselsh1
14-04-2017, 08:29
Really like the CD reissues of the early Genesis albums which is why I do not have any on vinyl. One thing I was always aware of though is that I always thought that Genesis albums were very toppy and thin. I never was truly happy with any of their albums. I think though that my favourite reissue has to be Trick of the Tail.

Light Dependant Resistor
14-04-2017, 08:42
Really like the CD reissues of the early Genesis albums which is why I do not have any on vinyl. One thing I was always aware of though is that I always thought that Genesis albums were very toppy and thin. I never was truly happy with any of their albums. I think though that my favourite reissue has to be Trick of the Tail.

I would lay the blame of you hearing them as toppy and thin squarely on the
potentiometer you use http://www.primaluna-usa.com/prologue-three/

" Better not compromise, it won't be easy "

Cheers / Chris

Haselsh1
15-04-2017, 03:30
I would lay the blame of you hearing them as toppy and thin squarely on the
potentiometer you use http://www.primaluna-usa.com/prologue-three/

" Better not compromise, it won't be easy "

Cheers / Chris

I may be wrong but I'm not sure I owned this amplifier back in 1972 but throughout my entire time with Genesis, their albums have always been thin and weedy. Only now with this powerful, warm sounding EL34 amplifier have they actually started to open up.