PDA

View Full Version : SW1X DAC I Standard Passive I/V version

SW1X
09-04-2017, 19:55
The SW1X DAC I Standard version is now available with two different I/V conversion techniques: Active or Passive. While the active current to voltage (I/V) conversion via a single specially selected transistor matches the impedance better between DAC current out and the valve grid, passive conversion via a resistor provides an alternative solution with a different sound signature.

Difference in sound between Passive and Active I/V (current to voltage) conversion

There are distinct difference in sound between those conversion techniques, implemented in Active and Passive versions of SW1X DAC I. While the sound of active I/V over a specially selected transistor has a better “dynamic bite”, the passive resistor I/V method gives a more relaxed feeling to the sound. On the one hand, Active I/V of DAC I has an edge over Passive I/V in resolving details, on the other, passive I/V provides a more organic envelope to the texture of music. Both conversion techniques have merits with a particular music in mind: Active I/V version will particularly excel with energized Rock or Electronic type of music while Passive I/V will sound more harmonically with Jazzy or Classical type of music.

http://sw1xad.co.uk/production-update/

pcourtney
10-04-2017, 13:51
is it as simple as flipping a switch on the DAC to go from Active to Passive ?

all the best
Peter

SW1X
10-04-2017, 14:05
Dear Peter,

It is not entirely as simple as flipping a switch. However, it is a relatively simple procedure when one knows what to do.
Going from active I/V version would imply de-soldering parts and replacing resistors. Going from passive to active is much more complicated as the power supply and the choice of transistors is crucial.

While either version will not disappoint anybody, it is simply a question of preference.

S

SW1X
10-04-2017, 14:09
By the way, I noticed that you are located near Bishop Stortford, which is about half an hour by car away from us. You are welcome to audition both versions and decide for yourself which you prefer.

S

WESTLOWER
10-04-2017, 14:25
As always with SW1X products, Dr Slawa and his team are always pushing the boundaries in Sound Quality possibilities and presentations,
using the very best and carefully selected components and the simplest approach. Always probing to deliver more from their products.
A rare thing in todays market.

bumpy
10-04-2017, 18:27
By the way, I noticed that you are located near Bishop Stortford, which is about half an hour by car away from us. You are welcome to audition both versions and decide for yourself which you prefer.

S

Hi

I too live in Bishops Stortford and I cant offer you a chance to listen to active vs passive I/V but I can offer a chance to listen to the SW1X 'sound', having purchased much of Slawas kit. Also a chance to have a coffee and chat if you wish.

Cheers Chris

ovlov854
06-01-2018, 11:13
A while ago after a brief conversation with Slawa re tube rolling, he recommended a 6N6P NOS tube made in the 60's at the FOTON factory
I have obtained a pair (could not find singles) and one of them has sat in my DAC 1 since before Xmas
It leaves the stock one for dead and is slightly better at detail retrieval than my Tesla, although not quite so good at ambient detail. The treble balance is slightly higher but a worthwhile improvement and at about 30 squids for the pair not too bad a price

ovlov854
06-01-2018, 18:06
A while ago after a brief conversation with Slawa re tube rolling, he recommended a 6N6P NOS tube made in the 60's at the FOTON factory
I have obtained a pair (could not find singles) and one of them has sat in my DAC 1 since before Xmas
It leaves the stock one for dead and is slightly better at detail retrieval than my Tesla, although not quite so good at ambient detail. The treble balance is slightly higher but a worthwhile improvement and at about 30 squids for the pair not too bad a price

These are they

/www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-6N6P-ECC99-E182CC-Square-Getter-Foton-1960s-Gold-Grid-Tubes-NOS/191887911796?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

bumpy
08-01-2018, 08:50

Yep many Russian valves are great. Older the better :)