PDA

View Full Version : Equipment levelling

electric beach
10-01-2010, 19:53
Could someone explain why it is beneficial or necessary to ensure that equipment is level? I can understand this with turntables but I can't understand how it could effect CD player, DAC, pre or power amps.

I'm using dissimilar support devices under each component, unequal in height by 2-3mm.

Many equipment instructions insist that the unit must be levelled. I can find a way to address 2-3mm if really necessary and I've done it but can't hear a difference.

Themis
10-01-2010, 19:58
Levelling ? On solid state ? I never heard of that. :mental:
On tubes, I don't know...

DSJR
10-01-2010, 20:53
CD players shouldn't (!!!) be affected by a few degress either way (and the Dual 1229 turntable was shown (with mofified bearing) running perfectly well upside down, so well balanced was the arm...

Valve amps are generally used with the output valves in a vertical position. My Quad II's were used horizontally in a cabinet for 30 years or so, so apart from one KT66 failing I don't know.....

Spectral Morn
10-01-2010, 21:04
Hi

Well if you view a CD player like a turntable it makes sense, is logical to think that if a disc is spinning at a angle i.e is not level this may generate reading errors in the lazer as it passes through the poly-carbonate layer above the data on the disc. The error correction would no doubt cope with any reading errors generated by not being level or perhaps vibration caused by being at an angle, or the motor spinning the disc having to work harder. All I can say is that I have always leveled CD players and have heard improvements in sound quality depending on the degree of how out they were to being totally level (I use a mana level for this).

As to amps etc...well the tables I use are level (looks better that way imho) so I can't say if being level or not effects sound quality here, but again I guess if the case work is at an angle then vibration entering the case might effect the sound...however I just don't know if thats the case or not. I have always leveled the stands, since I got into audio, so I haven't had a ureka moment in that regard.

To my mind set up is attention to detail and being level is just part of that detail....I just do it and always have.

Regards D S D L

electric beach
11-01-2010, 08:07
I'm relieved it's not a stupid question with a glaringly obvious answer that I'm missing :doh:

I just do it and always have.

Regards D S D L

That was my position Neil, until I came to a reason to question it. I considered the CD reading/errors possibility, my company produces printing inks for CDs and there are very strict design criteria to avoid creating wow and flutter by upsetting the surface tension, but physically the laser would always be aligned and held true to the disc within the transport mechanism.

I'm assuming that any statement like "ensure the unit is sited level on a stable support" is a caveat to cover gross misuse of a reasonable tolerence in this respect. I don't know enough about valves to assume anything, but I have seen them mounted at 90 degrees.

I really can't see that being perfectly level should make a difference, certainly as opposed to a few degrees.

Thanks for considering the question guys.

DSJR
11-01-2010, 17:02
Domestic Top End CD players are such quirky things it may well make a difference if the platter bearing is severely off kilter, but the Philips swing-arm laser assemblies needed a quite surprising shove to beat the servo locking the arm in place.

hifi_dave
11-01-2010, 17:24
Turntables and arms definitely need to be level. Certain CD players might possibly need to be level but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. As for amps - yer gotta be avin a larf...:lolsign: Do electrons struggle uphill ???

Ali Tait
11-01-2010, 17:37
Interesting when you look at something like an xbox.That can play a cd in the vertical position.I doubt the mech is much if any different to a cd or dvd player.

Steve Toy
13-01-2010, 01:52
The Bel Canto CD2 transport is robust and the disc is clamped in place with a rather heavy-weight puck. The shelf I use bows in the middle due to it being acrylic with a large hole in the middle. Subjective listening tells me there are greater benefits of this than the losses of the transport being slightly tilted.

The Grand Wazoo
24-07-2011, 23:03
From The Grave

worthingpagan
24-07-2011, 23:27
can't see how cd players have a need to be level. What about the cd walkmans, how many of them are level when being used? Some portable cd players used to play discs vertically so what then?

Thing Fish
25-07-2011, 01:37
I think the lesson is - turntables level all else bevel...

The Grand Wazoo
25-07-2011, 07:34
Turntables, of course. Electronics, as Dave says:

........yer gotta be avin a larf........

But I would have thought that anything with a mechanical device in it ought work better
if it's at least on the same angle as it was when built - which is not the same as level! If you're levelling a CD player, perhaps you ought to think about how to ensure the sledge is level rather than just the box it's mounted in?

BTH K10A
25-07-2011, 21:22
Oh I don't know :ner:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/emttsd15/EMT929DynamicBalancing-.jpg

The Grand Wazoo
25-07-2011, 22:06
Hehehe..........

Touche - but 'working' as in the photo above, is not the same as 'working better' which was the term I used.

Barry
26-07-2011, 00:04
Oh I don't know :ner:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/emttsd15/EMT929DynamicBalancing-.jpg

You can do that with any dynamically balanced tone arm. In my opinion - so what? :scratch:

BTH K10A
26-07-2011, 07:52
You can do that with any dynamically balanced tone arm. In my opinion - so what? :scratch:

So What? - you need to get a sense of humor. ;)

Barry
26-07-2011, 09:30
Sorry - no put-down intended. It's just that I have seen that 'demonstration' done before, though not with so illustrious a turntable.

I won't be doing it with my 930/929 combination: it's just too dammed heavy to try!

Regards

Wakefield Turntables
26-07-2011, 22:16
TT need to be levelled and not much else, i've never heard of CD's, amps, needing to be levelled. I think this is a load of stuff and nonsense personally.