PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Graham in Norwich

gp12
05-04-2017, 20:24
Hello. My name is Graham and I live in Norwich, UK. I’ve been interested in HiFi since buying a Leak TL12 mono valve amplifier in my youth and building a speaker for it out of KEF units plus lots and enthusiasm and very little knowledge. It sounded good, and I particularly enjoyed seeing visitors’ puzzled expressions and they looked round the room in search of the other speaker. My first stereo system was a Quad 33+303 and more homemade speakers built from KEF units and rather more knowledge (i.e. someone else’s design, not my own).
My “main” system came many years later, based on AVI 2000 monoblocks and ATC SCM 20L speakers. Do you detect a pattern here? Small independent old-fashioned British companies. On the other hand I also love my Sennheiser HD800 headphones, currently driven by a Chord Hugo TT DAC/amp.
Let me be honest and state that the main reason I’m here is that I want to sell some of my stuff. I’m hoping to put some announcements on the Private Exhibitions forum in the near future. But I can see myself getting dragged into other discussions too, as time goes by.
Oh, my username? it’s my domain (gp12.com) chosen many years ago for its brevity, and containing my initials.

walpurgis
05-04-2017, 20:45
Hi Graham. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you've been tinkering with Hi-Fi for quite a long time. Like quite a few here.

Have you got any future plans for your system? If you have we'd like to hear about them.

This is a friendly place and there's a lot going on, so feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

gp12
06-04-2017, 08:51
Thanks, Geoff. Future plans: none at the moment. Due to house constraints I'm making do with Sonos: two Play:5s (new edition) and a Sub. Not "HiFi" but good enough (surprisingly so) and I can always turn to the headphones if I want to know exactly what's on a CD.
I forgot to mention the music (! — that's what it's all about). A staple diet of Radio 3 for 90% of the time, supplemented by a Qobuz FLAC subscription. My rock interests go as far as Radiohead but occupy less and less of my time as the years go by.
For me, live music is always more important than recorded or broadcast. I'd settle for silence in the house so long as I can get to regular concerts.

struth
06-04-2017, 09:12
Welcome Graham. Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

Spectral Morn
06-04-2017, 09:36
Welcome to AoS :)

Barry
06-04-2017, 10:58
Welcome to AoS Graham,

Looks like you enjoy classical music. :)

Enjoy the Forum
Barry