PDA

View Full Version : Chromecast Audio all you needs

Labarum
05-04-2017, 16:13
That's right. This little dongle can be had for about £20 if you look around and are patient.

It has an excellent on-board DAC. Plug it into your amp or active speakers - it's the only source you need.

https://www.whathifi.com/google/chromecast-audio/review

http://www.trustedreviews.com/chromecast-audio-review

https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/chromecast-audio/review/

Multi-room feature is now working.

Discuss!

MarginWalker
05-04-2017, 16:34
I think they are great, but mine was much improved when using the optical out into my DAC.

struth
05-04-2017, 16:47
Mine too although the dac in it is not bad

RichB
05-04-2017, 17:27
Try telling that to RPi brigade...

They won't bloody have it, got to be the hard way see.

Kit1cat
05-04-2017, 18:09
Great for streaming from spotify and the likes, but you can't plug in a usb drive with local files, the Raspberry pi covers both. I can plug in a usb drive to play local files or use airplay to stream spotify etc.

struth
05-04-2017, 18:22
Try telling that to RPi brigade...

They won't bloody have it, got to be the hard way see.

Ive got and use both. chromecast for spotify and rpi for files. Ive not tried it with airplay. dont want to complicate my already burdoned and severely challenged brain

RichB
05-04-2017, 19:32
Great for streaming from spotify and the likes, but you can't plug in a usb drive with local files, the Raspberry pi covers both. I can plug in a usb drive to play local files or use airplay to stream spotify etc.

Its fun to experiment in this hobby but other than to satisfy my own curiosity, all my RPi dabblings were a complete waste of time.

Labarum
05-04-2017, 19:42
I agree, Rich. I ripped most of my CDs to flac years ago, but they have been copied to Google Music.

Can I hear the difference between flac and 320k MP3? No.

Can I hear the difference between the analogue output on the Chromecast and the S/PDIF routed through my Beresford Caiman? No.

I can't get fussed. It ain't worth the candle.

(Well Marco, you did ask me to pitch in again!)

MarginWalker
05-04-2017, 20:51
I've done the same with Google Play. It gives free storage and playback for more songs than I am ever likely to need at high enough quality for my ears. I have just picked up a raspberry pi and IQ DAC but much like Rich it is more out of curiosity and for something to experiment with than anything else.

I agree, Rich. I ripped most of my CDs to flac years ago, but they have been copied to Google Music.

Can I hear the difference between the analogue output on the Chromecast and the S/PDIF routed through my Beresford Caiman? No.

Kit1cat
06-04-2017, 08:33
Dread to think how long it would take me to upload 196 Gb of music files using my slow internet connection, it took long enough to copy the files to a external usb drive. :)

Labarum
06-04-2017, 08:52
Dread to think how long it would take me to upload 196 Gb of music files using my slow internet connection, it took long enough to copy the files to a external usb drive. :)

That is a problem!

Chromecast support for the VLC player is on the way, but it seems a long time coming. That would allow local files to be cast. There is also a way to make a Chromecast Audio Dongle behave as a Squeezebox, so any files in a Logitech Media Server may be played.

See

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104614-Announce-CastBridge-integrate-Chromecast-players-with-LMS-(squeeze2cast)&highlight=chromecast

Spectral Morn
06-04-2017, 10:21

Nice to see you back Brian.

Bourneendboy
06-04-2017, 11:11
I've been listening with my Chromecast for the last couple of evenings and I think it has a really natural sound quality that is missing from my Pi/HRT DAC set up.
Now wondering whether I prefer it.

mikeyb
06-04-2017, 13:03
Note that when uploading files via Google Play Music it converts them to 320mbps mp3 for streaming. This isn't a criticism it's just a heads up in case anyone thinks they can upload​ their High Res files ( ok you can, but it converts them down to 320 ) original files untouched of course 😉

Labarum
06-04-2017, 13:08
[QUOTE=mikeyb;851990]Note that when uploading files via Google Play Music it converts them to 320mbps mp3 for streaming.

It only uploads tracks it does not have on its database. If the MP3 file is already on Google's music server you are just granted access. This speeds up the building of your own MP3 library.

I believe iTunes works the same way.

mikeyb
06-04-2017, 13:11
I think you have to watch with iTunes as it can convert your library to 256, thus affecting original files, this was a while ago so updates might have stopped this issue. I avoid iTunes like the plague

Labarum
06-04-2017, 13:13
I avoid iTunes like the plague

Me too!

TheFlash
06-04-2017, 17:10
I think you have to watch with iTunes as it can convert your library to 256, thus affecting original files, this was a while ago so updates might have stopped this issue. I avoid iTunes like the plague

I've used iTunes for years and never had any such corruption (conversion to 256kbps) of data. iTunes is a great interface. Set default import settings to Lossless (ALAC) and it works faultlessly. Yes, in principle I'd rather use FLAC than its proprietary equivalent but I'm good with where I am. Everyone is free to decide for themselves thankfully, but risk of corruption of existing data=music should not be a consideration as it doesn't happen.

robtweed
09-04-2017, 08:15
Has anyone experimented with the power delivered to a Chromecast to see if that has any audible effect? A Linear Power Supply certainly appears to benefit the RPi and Beresford SEG

struth
09-04-2017, 08:16
Has anyone experimented with the power delivered to a Chromecast to see if that has any audible effect? A Linear Power Supply certainly appears to benefit the RPi and Beresford SEG

I use a battery with one of mine. Think its better, but guess its subjective. Not night n day

TheFlash
09-04-2017, 12:58
I use a battery with one of mine. Think its better, but guess its subjective. Not night n day

Battery (DC) should certainly be better than a stock switched PSU, and possibly better than a linear PSU. Several safes have put the extraordinary sound of the Chord Hugo DAC down to its having been designed as a portable device and therefore battery powered.

struth
09-04-2017, 13:18
Its not my best battery tbh, and need to try it on another to see if i get even more improvement. Used to run the rpi off this one and found sq jumped when i put a different one in. I assume its something in the power management

Labarum
09-04-2017, 13:22
I wondered how long it would be before some here started to chase the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow: a Chromecast Audio is all you need.

struth
09-04-2017, 13:27
Ive got 2. First was a gift, a nice gift .....i use one with headphones, and now a dac, but used to just plug cans in direct. Nice simple thing. Occasionally get dropout of connection, but not sure why yet

Labarum
09-04-2017, 13:42
i use one with headphones

I have not tried, but clearly the analogue output has enough clout to drive at least some headphones. That could be useful. What are the limits?

struth
09-04-2017, 13:54
Would think similar to a phone but dont know. My phones are 35 ohm, and 100 db sensitivity.. after saying that, the output to my amp is healthy enough so might do a bit better

pgarrish
10-04-2017, 18:34
That is a problem!

Chromecast support for the VLC player is on the way, but it seems a long time coming. That would allow local files to be cast. There is also a way to make a Chromecast Audio Dongle behave as a Squeezebox, so any files in a Logitech Media Server may be played.

See

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104614-Announce-CastBridge-integrate-Chromecast-players-with-LMS-(squeeze2cast)&highlight=chromecast

Using LMS to stream to it works very well. I sometimes think it sounds better on files than my SBT through the same DAC.... its certainly smaller

Dynamics
17-04-2017, 11:42
I bought one out of curiosity in currys as it is only £30. I used it with the optical connector and optical lead into my cyrus streamer which then obviously connects up to my dac xp signature pre amp and dac.

I lost quite big amounts of dynamics, detail etc, which I was expecting. I'm pretty sure this is down to lots of things like power supply, jitter etc, or just giving too much jitter that the cyrus dac xp can handle. But whatever I don't really care, its clear this device has its limitations (as do all hi fi at its price point) and should be used with the right stuff and system and quality matching is I think all important.

struth
17-04-2017, 12:36
Strange, i dont get that into my dac/ headamp. Dynamics are quite good with mine. Can be improved with a good battery supply

Labarum
17-04-2017, 12:52
I lost quite big amounts of dynamics

Did you set the Chromecast for "Full Dynamic Range"? It is not the default.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6290498?hl=en-GB

struth
17-04-2017, 12:57
Did you set the Chromecast for "Full Dynamic Range"? It is not the default.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6290498?hl=en-GB

it will default to fdr on optical

Dynamics
17-04-2017, 13:13
Yes was aware of that thanks. if you use an optical connection chromecast defaults to full dynamic range but if you use the 3.5mm jack you have to set dynamic range on, but if you use the optical wire you don't get a choice to select on for dynamic range in the 'google home' app, presumably because of this defaulting.

mikeyb
18-04-2017, 05:23
Why have it into your streamer and then the DAC, I would have thought straight to dac would be best.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Dynamics
30-04-2017, 16:26
Why have it into your streamer and then the DAC, I would have thought straight to dac would be best.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Bizarrely it was better into my streamers digital inputs than straight into my dac/pre digital inputs, and a number of people recommended me that approach. But it was the same with a sonos connect too.

rchinn
30-04-2017, 18:11
I have been using Chromecast for six months now and I much prefer the server side streaming vs AirPlay. Its cheapness also makes it easy to get into many rooms.

Has anyone tried using an SPDIF iPurifier? Sounds like it may make a better upgrade than power supply.

Interesting review here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/09/ifi-spdif-ipurifier-entry-level-pricing-next-level-results/

skimminstones
07-08-2017, 14:44
Just playing about with one of these as a possible replacement for my squeezebox classic. Mainly because its now no longer supporting Spotify.

Sounds good into my amp and im playing with the BubbleUpNp android app. I have 2 concerns at the moment though which i cant find answers for. Firstly i cant seem to find an option to play random tracks like i can using squeezecommander. This is if i just want it to play my whole collection on the NAS on shuffle. Can that be done using the chromecast? Secondly, does it support replay gain as all my files have that info in the tags.

Its not a major issue if it cant do those things as i primarily bought it as a cheap way of getting spotify back on my stereo but if its easy enough to do those two other things i may go for the smaller footprint and just run the chromecast for everything.

Incidentally ive been doing some A/B comparisons of the same tracks running from my squeezebox classic>Beresford Bushmaster>Amp and the Chromecast Audio>Amp and i have to say i cannot tell the difference.

struth
07-08-2017, 15:14
are you using foobar and its upnp/dlna server to android then into chromecast? if so you should be able to. a while since i ran it but i found good sound wise. the bubble app isnt as pretty as many tho.

skimminstones
07-08-2017, 15:22
are you using foobar and its upnp/dlna server to android then into chromecast? if so you should be able to. a while since i ran it but i found good sound wise. the bubble app isnt as pretty as many tho.

No, i used foobar to scan and create the replay gain data but im just running LMS on my NAS and playing that through the Bubble app into the Chromecast Audio at the moment.

When i use my Squeezebox i have an option in my Squeezecommander app that lets me play with replay gain or not but i cant seem to find an option to do so using Bubble?

WAD62
07-08-2017, 18:32
Just playing about with one of these as a possible replacement for my squeezebox classic. Mainly because its now no longer supporting Spotify.

Give this a read...don't throw the SB away yet...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107615

skimminstones
07-08-2017, 18:37
Give this a read...don't throw the SB away yet...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107615

Yea i know about that. My NAS doesnt support it and im not buying a new one just for spotify.

pgarrish
07-08-2017, 19:08
if you run LMS on your NAS, you can install the Squeezecast plug in and treat your Chromecast as a squeezebox, then you can play all the stuff from your NAS through the CC as per the squeezebox, including randomly

skimminstones
07-08-2017, 19:23
if you run LMS on your NAS, you can install the Squeezecast plug in and treat your Chromecast as a squeezebox, then you can play all the stuff from your NAS through the CC as per the squeezebox, including randomly

Yes i know i can install the plug in, i have done so, i just dont know how to play randomly through the songs using bubble app and also if it uses the replay gain function. Which is kinda what i asked lol

pgarrish
07-08-2017, 19:24
Sorry, misread you. What does Bubble do then, is it an iPeng equivalent? Ive only ever used the Logitech app to control LMS... its crap but it does most of the job....

skimminstones
07-08-2017, 19:32
Sorry, misread you. What does Bubble do then, is it an iPeng equivalent? Ive only ever used the Logitech app to control LMS... its crap but it does most of the job....

logitech app stopped being supported on android ages ago. I use squeezecommander to use my squeezebox now which is a better app but that doesnt work with the chromecast as far as i can see. Bubble is just another app to use for DNLA uses.

pgarrish
07-08-2017, 19:36
so to play your own music randomly, id use squeezecommander, tell LMS to use the chromecast as the playback device and away you go. I use an iphone for LMS control and whilst it whinges about the app needing updating, it still works.

stairpost
09-08-2017, 22:13
I have to say I was quite dispondant when I lost spotify on my SBT, but £26 on a Chromecast audio and making use of a Fiio Tashan DAC and Motorola tablet I already had and I'm loving it. Sound quality and ease of use are first rate. I'm converted.