PDA

View Full Version : the joy of sonos

hifinutt
04-04-2017, 22:13
managed to get my sonos working properly after a very long time , so wonderful to be able to hear all these albums . :)

I had my sonos bridge next to the router and it was interfering , only recently discovered this as I am a bit dim!! moved it several metres away from router and its wonderful !!!

I suppose we have too many wi fi devices these days

Manicatel
05-04-2017, 07:28
Whilst certainly not being the ultimate in hifi, Sonos is a very well executed product. Easily good enough for casual listening & can open up a world of new music. Its ease of use & stability are big selling points.

Martyn Miles
05-04-2017, 08:14
A friend has set it up on his systems and I'm very impressed with it.
I may purchase some Sonos kit myself.

rigger67
05-04-2017, 08:55
My mate's got one of the sound bars - about a metre long, no idea what model - and the sound quality is very good but I can't be doing with the non-stereo thing.
We have two ears and for that reason alone a stereo will always sound better to me.

I said I'd like to try wiring up two and place them like you would normal speakers - in his case, either side of his living room's chimney breast - and configure them for stereo rather than the fake uni-directional effect they normally have.

He lives up in the smoke and came down about a week after I explained why I couldn't have one myself. I'd just bought the passive pre- and everything was (and is) sounding sweeter than ever in my own system and he sat there quietly for half an hour, just listening to some Agnes Obel and then he bought a pair of speakers off me and we started searching on Gumtree for a suitable amp :D

Boyse6748
05-04-2017, 12:34
managed to get my sonos working properly after a very long time , so wonderful to be able to hear all these albums . :)

I had my sonos bridge next to the router and it was interfering , only recently discovered this as I am a bit dim!! moved it several metres away from router and its wonderful !!!

I suppose we have too many wi fi devices these days

As a secondary system. I have play bar / play 1 / play 3 / play 5/ sub, all in one room. All a bit bizarre and depends on how much you have had to drink, on whether all or just some.

This is an alternative to my Hi-FI. But when I fancy some surround sound.... it does it for me.

Obviously not Hi-FI, but jolly good. It does it for me [emoji41]

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hifinutt
05-04-2017, 17:06
sounds pretty acceptable into my dac

Jac Hawk
05-04-2017, 20:08
My mate's got one of the sound bars - about a metre long, no idea what model - and the sound quality is very good but I can't be doing with the non-stereo thing.
We have two ears and for that reason alone a stereo will always sound better to me.

I said I'd like to try wiring up two and place them like you would normal speakers - in his case, either side of his living room's chimney breast - and configure them for stereo rather than the fake uni-directional effect they normally have.

:D

You can configure them to work mono or stereo, or even 2.1 if you're that was inclined. For what they are i think the sound is more than acceptable, i've got a pair of play 1's set up in stereo mode that i'm very happy with

RichB
05-04-2017, 22:16

He lives up in the smoke and came down about a week after I explained why I couldn't have one myself. I'd just bought the passive pre- and everything was (and is) sounding sweeter than ever in my own system and he sat there quietly for half an hour, just listening to some Agnes Obel and then he bought a pair of speakers off me and we started searching on Gumtree for a suitable amp :D

Agnes can have a funny effect on a man;)

Marco
05-04-2017, 22:23
Phil, if this Sonos thingy of which you speak is digital, then this thread should've been posted in the digital section of the forum, not in Blank Canvas. Please confirm :)

Marco.

hifinutt
06-04-2017, 08:37
ah yes , it is a streamer I believe . sorry I am a bit of a dinosaur so please move it . ta

Dynamics
17-04-2017, 12:00
ah yes , it is a streamer I believe . sorry I am a bit of a dinosaur so please move it . ta

If you didn't know already you can take out the sonos bridge with sonos connects now as connects can work straight with a wi fi router or wired Ethernet connection. You might need to let the sonos pick up latest firmware

hifinutt
27-04-2017, 19:22
If you didn't know already you can take out the sonos bridge with sonos connects now as connects can work straight with a wi fi router or wired Ethernet connection. You might need to let the sonos pick up latest firmware

thanks simon , I didn`t know that