PDA

View Full Version : Oyaide headshells

Shadow Moses
04-04-2017, 19:16
Are they worthy upgrade over the stock headshell on a Jelco 750d?

struth
04-04-2017, 19:23
The carbon fibre is pretty good. As is the Yamamoto one. Prefer wood myself

Dubster68
04-04-2017, 20:30
I have been using the Oyaide HS-TF Carbon Fiber Headshell for nearly a year. It's well made and I started using it with an Ortofon 2M black so sounds pretty good. It's well made and it does look good. If it is worth the original price tag of £199 well not sure on that one. There are few good deals around at the moment where you can get one for just over £100. In this price range it's a bargain.

RobbieGong
04-04-2017, 20:49
'Worthy upgrade' ? hard question. I'm assuming you have the HS-25 headshell ? If so it is a very good headshell made of my personal fave headshell material - magnesium.
As well as overhang adjust it also has the azimuth adjust a very nice touch which even many of the very expensive headshells I've noticed do not have in the design :scratch:

If you fancy a change in terms of something exotic and or trying different materials and their effect then fine, other wise the headshell you have is a very good well designed one :)

blake
05-04-2017, 03:46
Are they worthy upgrade over the stock headshell on a Jelco 750d?

Haven't used the Oyaide, but I've compared the Yamamoto CF headshell directly against the stock Jelco in my 750 and would not consider going back to the stock headshell. Personally, I would not consider a headshell without azimuth adjustment.

The Yamamoto HS4 can be picked up for about 80 GBP.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=44048&p=688760&hilit=yamamoto+blake#p688760

Ammonite Audio
05-04-2017, 11:16
It's a shame that the Oyaide shells don't have adjustable azimuth, but in my experience very few manufacturers have managed to engineer an adjustable collet properly to make sure that the whole thing has good mechanical integrity. Orsonic used to, and Acoustical Systems do now with their hideously expensive Arche 5D headshell, but the Jelco ones are not at all stiff in comparison. The Oyaide shells do sound extremely good, and that factor, IMO, offsets the lack of azimuth adjustment.