PDA

View Full Version : The Wine & Whisky Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Marco
23-11-2012, 23:02
A small correction: 'oggi' is Italian for 'today'. I suspect that 'Ogio' is a play on that :)

Marco.

Barry
23-11-2012, 23:06
A small correction: 'oggi' is Italian for 'today'. I suspect that 'Ogio' is a play on that :)

Marco.

Sorry, I though that was what you told me a while ago. :o

Barry
03-12-2012, 16:45
Tesco have on half price offer the Dino, Pinot Grigio

http://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/574/8007890002574/IDShot_225x225.jpg

Normally £9.99, now £4.99. This is my second favourite Pinot Grigio (the Oggio, being my favourite).

Offer ends 1.1.13.

Coundonroad
06-12-2012, 19:25
Tesco have on half price offer the Dino, Pinot Grigio

http://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/574/8007890002574/IDShot_225x225.jpg

Normally £9.99, now £4.99. This is my second favourite Pinot Grigio (the Oggio, being my favourite).

Offer ends 1.1.13.
Have to agree. Tis a nice drop. Recommended - speshly at that price! :)

Marco
06-12-2012, 19:33
Do you chaps drink much white wine in the winter time?

I don't. It's definitely much more of a summer drink, served chilled with a nice salad. In the winter time, when it's horrible and cold outside, I want a nice rich, full-bodied red to go with the suitably warm and wholesome food one would generally be eating at this time of year :)

YMMV.

Marco.

Barry
06-12-2012, 20:24

I don't. It's definitely much more of a summer drink, served chilled with a nice salad. In the winter time, when it's horrible and cold outside, I want a nice rich, full-bodied red to go with the suitably warm and wholesome food one would generally be eating at this time of year :)

YMMV.

Marco.

I am eating more fish than I used to - it helps with my diet to control my diabetes. Whilst I can, and do, drink a lot of red wine (too much maybe), I find white wine goes better with fish than red.

But in general you are right Marco. During the winter months it's hearty stews, casseroles and coq au vin, which of course require a slurp or two of vin rouge. :)

Marco
06-12-2012, 20:41
Exactly! However, I do understand the issue with your dietary requirements :)

Del made a phenomenal Coq au Vin last Saturday, served with celeriac mash and garlic French beans... We used nearly half a bottle of the Médoc, from the case we shared with you, in the sauce. You'd have loved it! :exactly:

Marco.

Coundonroad
07-12-2012, 16:52

YMMV.

Marco.

I agree up to a point. We've just finished a very nice Star & Vine (Lodi, California) 2010 Shiraz. All the usual Shiraz plus-points (to my taste anyway). Sadly, I have no idea how much it was, as it came in a mixed case from Virgin Wines. Generally, we've found the stuff they send to be OK, with a few proper whizz-bangs, but also a few I'd certainly not buy again.

I'll still drink whites at the drop of a hat though! ;)

Marco
08-12-2012, 15:03
We do too, if a particular type of food we're eating warrants it, but not as a matter of course, as we might do in the warm summer months :)

Anyway.... NEWSFLASH!!

Just been to Aldi and they've got some FAB 'Super Premium Wines' in for Christmas, the pick of the crop being (which we snaffled some of):

BEAUTIFUL Barolo for ONLY £9.99 a bottle! :eek:
CLASSY Châteauneuf-du-Pape for ONLY £9.99 a bottle! :eek: :eek:

And last but not least, AMAZING AMARONE for a measly £13.99 a bottle!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :mental:

The latter, given the quality on offer, I can tell you would cost around £30 in a decent wine merchants!!

HURRY NOW WHILE STOCKS LAST!!! :exactly: :hotrod:

Marco.

Coundonroad
08-12-2012, 15:28
I assume the CdP is the same Vieux Remparts 2011 we picked up a few bottles of recently?
Sounds promising!

Marco
08-12-2012, 15:41
Yup - that's the chap! From experience, it looks like very good value. Are you a fan of Amarone (if you've not had it before, it's suitably 'big-boned', like CdP, but much more intense and powerful)?

If so, I'd definitely grab a bottle or two of it next time you're in! :)

Marco.

Coundonroad
08-12-2012, 18:31
Not tried it - but definitely will, given the chance.
Cheers!

Marco
08-12-2012, 21:02
I would, if I were you! ;)

Marco.

Roy S
08-12-2012, 22:15
Thanks for the heads up Marco, I'm off to Aldis tomorrow, be good to get a decent drop in for Xmas

Marco
08-12-2012, 22:38
Nice one, Roy. I'm sure you'd love any of those. They also have, worth getting:

Pulingny Montrachet (a superb classic French white burgundy) for £16.99 - a wine that would cost at least another tenner in a 'posh' wine merchants.

A fabulous Margaux Grand Cru Classé for £22.99 - a wine that would cost at least another £10-15 in a 'posh' wine merchants.

And if you like vintage port, a stonking 30-year old Offley, for £37.99!! :eek: :mental:

I paid nearly £60 for something of similar high quality in Tanners, in Shrewsbury (my favourite local wine merchants http://www.tanners-wines.co.uk/) only the other day!

Marco.

Firebottle
10-12-2012, 08:40
I had a nice bottle of a wine yesterday that I'd not tried before.

It was a Domaine des Peyres Blanques - Faugères.

It was 14% but very smooth. I think I'll have to get some more.
I won't tell you the price for fear you'll cry in your cornflakes :D

Barry
11-12-2012, 18:12
Spent an hour today at the dentist having some expensive root canal surgery performed, so I thought I would cheer myself up by visiting Aldi to pick up a couple of bottles each of those bargains Marco alerted us to.

Well my local Aldi is out of town, and my visit was fruitless! :steam: All they had on offer was some Chardonnay and a fairly indifferent 2011 Bordeaux!

I was rather looking forward to enjoying some Amarone for my up-coming birthday. Looks like it will have to be a Barolo (at twice Aldi's price!).

You must have a 'classy' Aldi up your way Marco.

Marco
11-12-2012, 18:23
Jeez, Barry, that's a nightmare... Did you look in the centre aisle section of the store, where all the 'Christmas special' stuff is, like chocolates and fancy cakes, Stollen, and nuts, etc?

That's where the wines I mentioned are, not in the main wine section. Aldi always do that at this time of year. Maybe that's why you missed it...?

Marco.

P.S What date's your birthday? I seem to remember it's near Del's - hers is on Thursday ;)

Barry
11-12-2012, 19:05
Jeez, Barry, that's a nightmare... Did you look in the centre aisle section of the store, where all the 'Christmas special' stuff is, like chocolates and fancy cakes, Stollen, and nuts, etc?

That's where the wines I mentioned are, not in the main wine section. Aldi always do that at this time of year. Maybe that's why you missed it...?

Marco.

P.S What date's your birthday? I seem to remember it's near Del's - hers is on Thursday ;)

Ah - I only looked in the main wine section! I have to go out tomorrow so I'll give it another try.

My birthday is on the 17th. I have already planned my birthday meal (and accompanying 'slurp'). :)

Marco
11-12-2012, 19:20
Let us know how you get on with Aldi, round 2!

Happy Burpday when it comes, old chap - if you can't get hold of the Barolo or Amarone, we'll keep some for when you next visit :cheers:

Marco.

Marco
12-12-2012, 20:00
Did you get to Aldi again, Barry? :)

Marco.

Marco
12-12-2012, 23:51
:popcorn:

Marco.

jon1
13-12-2012, 09:46
Macro.. have you tried the CDP from aldi?..I was looking at that last week when i was in there..tried a few bottles from elsewhere 2011 the year on the bottle it was so so..BTW need a few bottles of good full bodied red wine for the xmas table what would you go for?

jon

Marco
13-12-2012, 10:35
Hi Jon,

I haven't tried the CdP yet, but based on experience and reading the 'heritage' on the wine label, I'm confident it will be a stonker... However, if you can find the Amarone in your local store, that would be even better!

What are you having to eat on Christmas Day (full menu, please)? That way I can give you some suitable recommendations :)

Marco.

jon1
13-12-2012, 11:13
Hi Jon,

I haven't tried the CdP yet, but based on experience and reading the 'heritage' on the wine label, I'm confident it will be a stonker... However, if you can find the Amarone in your local store, that would be even better!

What are you having to eat on Christmas Day (full menu, please)? That way I can give you some suitable recommendations :)

Marco.

Marco... the meats are pork loin and chicken ...the trimmings are roast parsnips and potatoes cooked i goose fat:eyebrows:turnip and carrot mashed together and potatoes home made stuffing ..and pigs in there blankets and peas sprouts:D..
four bottles is the order of the day.. no white wine please

jon

Marco
13-12-2012, 11:16
Okies, do you want them all to be powerful, full-bodied types, or would you like half and half, along with some lighter 'fruity' red wines? Also, are you having a starter, such as fish or anything, or just one full-on meat and veg fest, and do you have a preference for wines from any particular country? :)

Marco.

Barry
13-12-2012, 15:55
:popcorn:

Marco.

No Margaux to be found ( :( ), but I did pick up a couple bottles each of the

2011 Vieux Remparts, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

http://www.vivino.com/images/all_labels/1352630249_2813_150.jpg

(Normally £17 a bottle, Aldi have it for £9.99.)

The 2008 Antiga Vigna, Amarone della Valpolicella

Can’t find anything on this, but such wines normally sell for between £21 and £35 a bottle. Aldi: £13.99! I’m really looking forward to tasting this. :)

And the 2008 Conventino, Borolo

Can’t find anything on this either, but would expect it to go for around £18 a bottle. Aldi are selling it for £9.99. :)

In ‘lieu’ of the Margaux, I picked up a bottle of the 2009 Château Dasvin-Bel-Air, Haut-Médoc, which ought not to be ‘too shabby’.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/media/offers/01_12_week_48/Product_detail_Wk48_T_a14(1).jpg

(Normally £12 -£15 a bottle, Aldi have it for £9.99. :))

Thanks for the 'heads up' Marco - Nice one!

jon1
13-12-2012, 17:56
No Margeau to be found ( :( ), but I did pick up a couple bottles each of the

2011 Vieux Remparts, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

http://www.vivino.com/images/all_labels/1352630249_2813_150.jpg

(Normally £17 a bottle, Aldi have it for £9.99.)

The 2008 Antiga Vigna, Amarone della Valpolicella

Can’t find anything on this, but such wines normally sell for between £21 and £35 a bottle. Aldi: £13.99! I’m really looking forward to tasting this. :)

And the 2008 Conventino, Borolo

Can’t find anything on this either, but would expect it to go for around £18 a bottle. Aldi are selling it for £9.99. :)

In ‘lieu’ of the Margeau, I picked up a bottle of the 2009 Château Dasvin-Bel-Air, Haut-Médoc, which ought not to be ‘too shabby’.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/media/offers/01_12_week_48/Product_detail_Wk48_T_a14(1).jpg

(Normally £12 -£15 a bottle, Aldi have it for £9.99. :))

Thanks for the 'heads up' Marco - Nice one!

Nice one barry crack a few bottles open and tell use what you think?;)

jon

jon1
13-12-2012, 17:57
Okies, do you want them all to be powerful, full-bodied types, or would you like half and half, along with some lighter 'fruity' red wines? Also, are you having a starter, such as fish or anything, or just one full-on meat and veg fest, and do you have a preference for wines from any particular country? :)

Marco.

Full on marco plenty of body..France BTW.:)

jon

Marco
13-12-2012, 23:34
Well, if you can find the Château Marquis D'Alesme Becker, Margaux, in Aldi, which I mentioned earlier (as shown below), then that would be ideal:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_27844.htm

*That* will be stunning!! :trust:

I'm not sure where you buy your wine from normally, so I'll throw some names at you of wines that will hit the spot, and you can seek them out.

If it's powerful, full-bodied (and French) that you like, then look for Pomerol, Haut-Médoc, St Emillion Grand Cru Classé, Château Latour, Saint Julien, Pauillac, Côtes de Bourg - these are all collectively known as 'Clarets', from the Bordeaux area of France, and are very intense in flavour, perfect for enjoying with all roast meats and game, although generally red meat is best with them.

The Rhône wines are also pretty intense and powerful, with of course the aforementioned Châteauneuf du Pape. Others of note are Vacqueyras, Crozes Hermitage, Côte Rôtie and Gigondas.

For pork loin and chicken, you could also consider some Burgundy types, such as Gevrey-Chambertin, Nuits-Saint-Georges, Pommard, Mercurey and Côte de Beaune. These are slightly lighter on the palate, but with bags of jammy fruit, and are less 'tannic' than the top Clarets.

If you can find it, you would also love a Lebanese wine called 'Château Musar'. It is unique and very special - definitely something different to blow your mind! :eyebrows:

Our wine rack is full of this stuff at the moment, in readiness for Christmas and New year, so perhaps we could compare notes? :)

Hope this helps, or if you need any more advice, just ask! :cheers:

Marco.

Barry
13-12-2012, 23:59
Mmmm! Nuits-Saint-Georges, Côte de Beaune and Vacqueyras. :)

Beside the excellent Lebanese wines, I also have a fondness for Turkish Kavaklideri reds, as well as the excellent Tunisian:

Vieux Magon AOC Mornag 2001
Grapes: 60% Carignan (50 years), 40% Syrah

“Deep red to purple. Warm brooding nose with good depth of fruit. Supple plummy notes, oak and figs, and secondary aromatics: dusty spices and dry earth. Voluptuous palate. Plenty of fine tannins. Rich, viscous and balanced. Not too alcoholic. Fine and persistent with dried berries and cherry on length.”

or the

Vieux Magon AOC Mornag 2002
Grapes: 60% Carignan (50 years), 40% Syrah

“Deeply coloured and more purple than 2001. Fresher nose than 2001 too. Again plummy in style. Syrah influence showing with medicine, spices and pepper over berry fruit. Big on the palate. Plentiful tannins, though not as developed in flavour. A hint of green overlaying, but still very good. Fresher and more primary flavour. Needs time, but he says the 2001 was considered the classic.”

I drank a fair amount of the 2008/9 when I visited Tunisa in 2010 and brought a few bottles back with me. :)

Rare Bird
14-12-2012, 02:00
All my Red vino comes from Aldi.. had some nice Merlot tonight (My fav) :eyebrows:

Marco
14-12-2012, 08:41
Nice one, dude. Aldi sells some great stuff, including their wines and beers. Some people tend to look down on Aldi and Lidl, rather snobbishly, as being for the 'lower classes', or chavs, but I can assure you, that couldn't be further from the truth!

If you want chavs, go to Asda!! :exactly:

The majority of Aldi's produce is either sourced from Germany, or locally from where the shops are located geographically, most of which is of higher quality than that found in Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's, etc. It's just cheaper because you're not paying for bullshit fancy displays or brand names with a falsely perceived 'prestige' value. The discerning people shop there ;)

The staff are also far more efficient, especially the lightening speed with which they scan items through the tills, unlike the frustrating 'go slow' policy, permanently adopted by staff in other supermarkets! :rolleyes:

Oh, and M&S is simply for dim-witted Michael Bublé-loving social climbers, with a penchant for infantilism. The only supermarkets that sell notably higher quality merchandise than Aldi, are Waitrose or Booths.

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
14-12-2012, 08:46
I'll second that, the veg is consistently high quality too.
The Saint Emilion on offer at the moment as recommended above is really rather good ....and very moorish!

jon1
14-12-2012, 09:49
Marco thank's for you time:)That is one hell of a selection you have put forward mate cheers for that and have a good one:cool:

jon

Marco
14-12-2012, 09:59
No worries, matey. There are a lot of different styles in the wines I listed, so if you'd like me to narrow things down a bit, taking into account your tastes, then I can do so.

Also, those are all pretty expensive wines, so if you'd like some high 'SPPV' (slurp-per-pound value) suggestions instead, just shout! :)

Marco.

jon1
14-12-2012, 10:32
No worries, matey. There are a lot of different styles in the wines I listed, so if you'd like me to narrow things down a bit, taking into account your tastes, then I can do so.

Also, those are all pretty expensive wines, so if you'd like some high 'SPPV' (slurp-per-pound value) suggestions instead, just shout! :)

Marco.

Marco...you have some very expensive tastes in wine mate..cheers:)And again thanks for your reply..

jon

Marco
14-12-2012, 10:45
Lol - you're welcome. I may have expensive tastes in wines, but I only buy the wines in question when I get good deals!

We go once a year on a wine-buying trip to France, and so I pick up most of that stuff (often direct from the vineyard or from the local area) for a fraction of the price you get it here, and it's often much better quality... I like 'win-wins' :eyebrows:

Slurp-per-Pound Value is as important to me with wine, as Sound-per-Pound Value is with hi-fi gear!! ;)

Marco.

jon1
14-12-2012, 10:52
Lol - you're welcome. I may have expensive tastes in wines, but I only buy the wines in question when I get good deals!

We go once a year on a wine-buying trip to France, and so I pick up most of that stuff (often direct from the vineyard or from the local area) for a fraction of the price you get it here, and it's often much better quality... I like 'win-wins' :eyebrows:

Slurp-per-Pound Value is as important to me with wine, as Sound-per-Pound Value is with hi-fi gear!! ;)

Marco.

Looks like i will have to stick with the likes of aldi there no shopping trips to france for me bugger:D did you get stocked up this year marco?:eyebrows:

jon

Marco
14-12-2012, 10:59
Aldi are great, Jon. Pick up a copy of their 'Sparkling Christmas Market' brochure, available in store, and buy anything in it, food or wine, with the absolute confidence that it will be more than bloody good! :exactly:

Yup, we went to France earlier in the year and brought back about 150 bottles of wine, between the four of us, not including beer and cider, aperitifs or food - the car was heaving! :eyebrows:

See here for some pics: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19867

Next year we'll be going to France again, but this time en-route to Italy, so the car will be even more heaving, with whole Parma hams and Parmesan cheeses, etc, not to mention some stunning Italian wines!!

Needless to say, in January, we're buying a bigger car! ;)

Marco.

jon1
14-12-2012, 11:28
Aldi are great, Jon. Pick up a copy of their 'Sparkling Christmas Market' brochure, available in store, and buy anything in it, food or wine, with the absolute confidence that it will be more than bloody good! :exactly:

Yup, we went to France earlier in the year and brought back about 150 bottles of wine, between the four of us, not including beer and cider, aperitifs or food - the car was heaving! :eyebrows:

See here for some pics: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19867

Next year we'll be going to France again, but this time en-route to Italy, so the car will be even more heaving, with whole Parma hams and Parmesan cheeses, etc, not to mention some stunning Italian wines!!

Needless to say, in January, we're buying a bigger car! ;)

Marco.

Very nice pic's mate most of them where good living pics restaurants:eyebrows::D..Not many bottles of wine marco only the ones you were drinking:D..Do you collect the on the way back?..I do not know about a bigger car:eek:You need a transit van..lol

jon

Marco
14-12-2012, 11:41
Lol... It'll likely be a BMW or Merc estate, dude, with a BIG roof-rack attached!! We like our creature comforts, too! ;)

We buy the wine, as we're touring around the local area, from wherever we see it and it looks good, from some supermarkets, but also direct from vineyards or from small independent wine merchants in French towns, where you can *really* pick up some fab stuff! Fortunately I speak reasonably good French, so can explain what it is I'm looking for.

The wine that's bought is then taken back and stored at the hotel until the day we're leaving, when it's all packed with military precision into the car! Meanwhile, we enjoy our food and wine in the restaurants in France, when eating out, then it's back home and 'job done'! :cool:

Marco.

jon1
14-12-2012, 11:50
Lol... It'll likely be a BMW or Merc estate, dude, with a BIG roof-rack attached!! We like our creature comforts, too! ;)

We buy the wine, as we're touring around the local area, from wherever we see it and it looks good, from some supermarkets, but also direct from vineyards or from small independent wine merchants in French towns, where you can *really* pick up some fab stuff! Fortunately I speak reasonably good French, so can explain what it is I'm looking for.

The wine that's bought is then taken back and stored at the hotel until the day we're leaving, when it's all packed with military precision into the car! Meanwhile, we enjoy our food and wine in the restaurants in France, when eating out, then it's back home and 'job done'! :cool:

Marco.

Marco you must look forward to the trip?:)I know i would mini break and good food and plonk:cool:And good company

jon

Marco
14-12-2012, 11:55
There's nothing better, matey! If you drive, you should try it sometime - mind you, it's a bloody long way from North Yorkshire!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

jon1
14-12-2012, 12:05
There's nothing better, matey! If you drive, you should try it sometime - mind you, it's a bloody long way from North Yorkshire!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

It would be three hours just to get past birmingham...Like you said a long way best to have a week there:Dmake the most of it;)And a week to recover:D

jon

Marco
14-12-2012, 12:10
Drive down to Wrexham and join the convoy! ;)

Marco.

Rare Bird
14-12-2012, 19:55
I bought a stash of 'Merlot' from Aldi, wasnt expensive but tastes great.They offer some ace cheap wines.

Marco
14-12-2012, 20:20
They do indeed, dude. I call them 'gluggers' :)

The other thing is it's piss-easy finding good wine, simply by chucking money at it - far harder to find the good stuff, by not spending much! ;)

Marco.

jon1
14-12-2012, 20:56
They do indeed, dude. I call them 'gluggers' :)

The other thing is it's piss-easy finding good wine, simply by chucking money at it - far harder to find the good stuff, by not spending much! ;)

Marco.

True we will just follow master marco;)find the best deals:) Btw bought a couple of bottles today must try the first:eyebrows:

jon

Marco
17-12-2012, 16:05
Lidl are selling the superb La Gauloise Blond (and Ambrée) - a Belgian Ale-style beer by Brasserie Du Bocq, in packs of four, for £4.99...

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2945/gauloiseblondlarge.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/gauloiseblondlarge.png/)

This a real stonker - think Leffe, but much creamier and smoother! Gorgeous stuff. Thought that some of you might like a 'head's up'. Just pouring myself one now! :barrel: :barrel:

Marco.

Coundonroad
17-12-2012, 19:04
Finally managed to get to an Aldi this AM (our 'local' one is an hour away in Boston and a pain to get to) in Rugby, while visiting family.
Found the Amarone label on the rack.... but NONE LEFT!!
Gutted :(

Coundonroad
17-12-2012, 19:06
Also, If I'd known about the Gauloise at that point I'd have snagged some while there.
Bad day....

Marco
17-12-2012, 19:17
Ouch! And the Gauloise is in Lidl, dude, not Aldi... ;)

Marco

Coundonroad
20-12-2012, 14:59
Ouch! And the Gauloise is in Lidl, dude, not Aldi... ;)

Marco

Bu99er. We DO have a Lidl near us. Will try to mosey on over before the weekend!

Marco
20-12-2012, 15:07
Cool. Let us know how you get on :)

Marco.

Coundonroad
23-12-2012, 21:29
Finally got into Lidl this morning and picked up a couple of packs of Gauloise.
Not tried it yet as I had one or two too many Pale Riders this afternoon and I'm at work in the morning. Boo...
However, I'll definitely be slurping one or two tomorrow evening. :cool:
Cheers!

Marco
23-12-2012, 21:41
Nice one, Steve. Let me know if you enjoy it. If you like Leffe, and strong-ish Belgian beers of that ilk, it should hit the spot nicely :)

Marco.

Coundonroad
24-12-2012, 14:42
I LOVE beers of that type. I'm like a kid in a toyshop in the average Belgian bar :eek:

chris@panteg
24-12-2012, 19:04
Just having a Christmas drink with friends , hook norton twelve days , fabulous dark ale , 5.5 and full of flavour ! Lovely .

hifilover
26-12-2012, 11:54
I bought quite a few mini kegs from Stewart Brewing; the 80 shilling & Zymic are particularly nice :D

http://www.stewartbrewing.co.uk/browse/MiniKegs_200_0_0_de_c.html

Also supped a couple of bottles of Chateau Musar already; a 2000 and a 2005 so far; have a 2001 to drink today when the wife & i go to the folks this afternoon :)

Coundonroad
26-12-2012, 19:12
Nice one, Steve. Let me know if you enjoy it. If you like Leffe, and strong-ish Belgian beers of that ilk, it should hit the spot nicely :)

Marco.

Bullseye.
Luuurvely. :)

Marco
26-12-2012, 19:15
Nice one, dude. Nice and creamy, innit? :)

Marco.

Coundonroad
27-12-2012, 16:17
Certainly is, but with plenty of body & flavour. My worry is that the tab at Lidl said 'While Stocks Last'.

I also tried a bottle of Batemans' Vintage Ale last night. Now, I'm not an afficionado of the darker ales, and certainly not of anything that smacks of being a 'Barley Wine', but...... This one is so complex - plummy, toffee-y, Porty, almost Christmas Cake-in-a-bottle-y, and quite strong (7.5% ABV) yet not 'feeling' overpoweringly so. Don't know if I'd drink very many, but an occasional one may go down a treat.
The story behind it goes something like: Old Mr Bateman brewed a run of a special Barley Wine way back when, and put the last few cases away to be brought out for son Stuart's 21st in 1981. It was subsequently overlooked and eventually was dragged out and sampled many years later. It was found to be so good that Stuart decided to try to copy it, and this is the result.
I got it from Batemans' shop down the road, but I believe there are a few bottles around in some supermarkets. Worth keeping an eye out for!
Oh, by the way, it really is a 'keeper' too. The Best Before' is 2037!! :eek:

Rare Bird
28-12-2012, 19:39
Jesus i'm enjoying some Spanish red tonight! The wife bought it & was adamant it was good,regardless of what i say, but blimey it's so smoothe 13.5% more tororrow hopefully :lol:

Barry
03-01-2013, 18:18
2008 Antica Vigna Amarone della Valpolicella
http://www.by-invitation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Amarone-della-Valpolicella-2008-230x306.jpg
14.5% ABV

Available from Aldi (thanks to Marco for pointing this out), this Amarone lived up to expectation: big bold and beautiful - rich, smooth and rounded with a long finish. Personally I prefer the 2006 Masi Costasera Amarone, but given the good price of the Aldi sourced Amarone (£14.99), this is a minor quibble.

Enjoyed with venison steak, roast potatoes, baby carrots, Savoy cabbage, and green beans.

2008 Château Minvielle, Bordeaux
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/61577.png

Merlot 70%, Cabernet Franc 30%. Winner of Concours Général Agricol gold medal. 12.5% ABV.

2010 Château Fleur la Mothe, Médoc
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/63370.png

Merlot 50%, Cabernet Sauvignon 50%. One of my favourite Médocs! 14% ABV

Enjoyed with beef ravioli, sweetcorn, sugar-snap peas, asparagus, and green beans.

2001 Château du Clos Perrault, Bordeau Supérier
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/61973.png

Merlot 50%, Cabernet Sauvignon. 13% ABV

Enjoyed with boeuf bourguignon, mashed potato, baby carrots and green beans.

2010 Château la Croix des Ducs, Montagne Saint-Emilion
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/63200.png

Merlot 80%, Cabernet Sauvignon 20%, 13% ABV

Looks like 2010 could be as good a year for Bordeaux as 2009. Time to start laying down some of the 2010 vintage.

2005 Château L’Insoumise, Cuvée Caresse du Terroir, Bordeaux

13% ABV

Enjoyed with chicken breast stuffed with Manchego cheese, topped with chorizo and cheese with a tomato and red wine sauce, boiled potatoes, green beans and broccoli.

2010 Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) Collection, Réserve Bordeaux Special
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/63723.png

65% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon. 13.5% ABV

About as close as I’m going to get to drinking Château Lafite! Another 2010 vintage that will be worth laying down for a couple of years.

2008 Un Vent de Folie, Côtes du Roussillon Village (Bottle number 007091)
http://sc.cellartracker.com/labels/1285112693/142854.jpg

This “Flight of Fancy” was bought on a whim – and boy I’m glad I did! An absolute stonker. Inky black in colour with a complex nose. Full bodied with a long and smooth finish. Must be decanted; I have never come across a bottle with so much silt and sediment. Bloody marvellous.

2009 Château Le Coin, Bordeaux Supérieur
http://www.bawineclub.co.uk/images/products/63617.jpg

Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, 14.5% ABV.

Another example of the excellent 2009 vintage. Good job I bought a case to lay down.

Enjoyed with a beef casserole, mashed potato, baby carrots, savoy cabbage, broccoli and green beans.

2011 Château de Fouzilhon, Coteaux du Langedoc
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/63845.png

40% Syrah, 30% Carigan and 30% Grenach. 14% ABV

2006 Héritage de Mayne Lalande, Listrac-Medoc

13% ABV

2011 Vieux Remparts Châteauneuf-du-Pape
http://www.vivino.com/images/all_labels/1356426596_8689_150.jpg

13.5%

This is the Châteauneuf-du-Pape available from Aldi that Marco alerted us to. Not as good as some others I have drunk; the 2007 Cuvée du Vatican in particular, but at the price (£9.99) I have no real complaints.

Enjoyed with lamb shank with roasted carrots and parsnips with a redcurrant, rosemary and thyme gravy, mash potatoes, carrots, Savoy cabbage, broccoli, sugar snap peas and green beans.

And now a rather tasty Austrian white:

2011 Grüner Veltliner Weinland, Landwein aus Österrich Trocken
http://img.tesco.com/wine/UIAssets/pi/022/5052319940022/IDShot_150x300.jpg

100% Grüner Veltiner, 12.5% ABV

This is a fashionably crisp dry wine having peach and apple flavours. A delightfully ’fresh’ tasting white wine, which has become the latest fashion amongst lovers of white wine. It now joins the Oggio pinot grigot as my favourite ‘Tesco’ white: Tesco have it on offer at £6.99 a bottle.

One bottle enjoyed with baked salmon steaks, boiled potatoes, asparagus, broccoli and green beans.

A second, enjoyed with Japanese prawn tashimi, followed by chicken teriyaki with stir-fry vegetables and rice.

Marco
03-01-2013, 18:50
Superb stuff, Barry! Most of the wines we've been drinking were bought in France, last summer, so I doubt I'd be able to find pics of the labels...

Hey that 2008 Un Vent de Folie is a stonker though, innit? :eek: Glad you very kindly let me try that! Nice one :)

Marco.

Barry
03-01-2013, 19:43
Superb stuff, Barry! Most of the wines we've been drinking were bought in France, last summer, so I doubt I'd be able to find pics of the labels...

Hey that 2008 Un Vent de Folie is a stonker though, innit? :eek: Glad you very kindly let me try that! Nice one :)

Marco.

No worries Marco! Do you remember any of the names? How about giving us an impression of the wine you drank?

I've put on half a stone thanks to all the eating over the festive period! I blame it on having guests over Christmas. Think I'll have to rein back on the vino! :(

Cheers

Barry
18-01-2013, 21:30
2009 Château Dasvin-Bel-Air, Haut-Médoc

Given Cru Bourgeois status, this wine, from one of Bordeaux's best ever vintages, has a dense colour, fresh dark berry nose and great concentration of fruit complete with some savoury gravel notes. Perhaps the most famous wine growing region in the world, Bordeaux is divided by the Gironde. On the left bank of this estuary lies the Haut-Médoc home to Chateau Dasvin-Bel-Air's vineyard. On the opposite bank is the beautiful town of St. Émilion.

14% ABV £9.99 a bottle

This was bought as a ‘consolation’ for missing out on the Margaux that Aldi had on offer over Christmas. And what an acceptable substitute it was! Another 2009 gem – enjoyed with Lancashire hot-pot, baby carrots, Savoy cabbage and petit pois.

Barry
31-01-2013, 21:04
2011 Réserve du Dolmen, Minervois

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/63865.png

Blend of Syrah and Grenache Noir grape. 13.5% ABV

Minervois is a rugged, mountainous region between Béziers and Carcassonne. It was the first place in southern France where the Romans planted vines. Exceptional terroir and low yields enable Minervois' growers to get real depth and concentration in their wines. (The fact that they do so at such highly competitive prices is a tribute to their dedication and perseverance.)This intense red comes from the multi award winning Lauran Cabaret cellars. Most of the grapes were vinified traditionally, although the portion of Carignan was fermented in whole bunches to accentuate fruitiness and minimise tannins. Enjoy its ripe, red berry flavours and herbal complexity with grilled or roasted red meats, light game, rich pasta dishes or mature cheeses.

I enjoyed half a bottle with a spaghetti carbonara, brocolli, green beans and sweetcorn and the second half with grilled wild boar sausages, ratatouille and mashed potato.

John
31-01-2013, 21:59
I got a few nice drinks from Waitrose Belgium Beer and Vintage Perry

archiesdad
01-02-2013, 21:04
If you're near Dunfermline I can recommend a visit to "The Commercial" in Queen Anne St, they do a nice range of hand pull ales, changes made weekly. Ossian by The Inveralmond Brewery is my tipple tonight, comfy in the house away from the cold night air, a nice malt may wash it down later.

Rare Bird
02-02-2013, 09:02
I had a party on this yesterday & doan i know about it this morning :lol:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Domaine-Mandeville-Shiraz-2011-Case/dp/B005CX9LW8

The wife was on this below, she'll be in a coma all today hence some peace & quiet :rfl:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/La-Vita-Pinot-Grigio-2011/dp/B0032H17BY?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_2&nodeId=42966030&sr=1-2&qid=1359795945&pf_rd_r=1QQQJ1MNE18CZCSDJTHF&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=321381407&pf_rd_s=center-3

Marco
02-02-2013, 09:14
That's a nice wine, dude, at a bargain price! You like your Shiraz, don't you? :eyebrows:

I know why, as they're 'big', jammy, powerful and packed full of flavour... I like them sometimes too, as they're a nice change from the more traditional French and Italian wines I normally drink. You should try some of the Chilean and Argentinean stuff, too.

Watch all those calories, though, with your diet! ;)

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-02-2013, 09:15
Yes Shiraz is my fav, don't worry about calories i'm very good with food intake at weekends :D

Marco
02-02-2013, 09:45
Trouble is, dude, and please don't take this the wrong way, but that's not a recipe for a healthy diet, as all the good that you're doing your body by eating healthily is being ruined by alcohol 'abuse'....

It's all a bit 'arse about tit'. Think of the effect that the alcohol is having on your liver. You only have to research this on the 'net.

S'up to you what you do, though. IMO, you'd be far better off enjoying a few nice meals and cutting down on your alcohol intake (especially with the amount of calories in wine), than binging on red wine and then living off of rabbit food! ;)

But then, being Italian, I have a rather different attitude towards alcohol (and food) than most people in the UK, as I just don't get the attraction of getting totally drunk. I gave all that up when I was 17.

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-02-2013, 09:49
Yeh your right it's not good but i refuse to give my drinkipoos up at the weekend. Anyhoots it's only till im done on my diet which should be around five weeks. Ive actually finished my diet now but i want to get a bit more off because of the up & coming Holiday abroad where i want to enjoy myself without watching the calories.

Marco
02-02-2013, 09:56
No worries, dude. I guess that you get as much pleasure from your "drinkipoos" as I do from Del cooking me a nice meal, and enjoying ONE good bottle of red wine between us, with the meal.

I think it's a fundamental difference in cultures. Italians live to eat, not eat to live (as in general Brits do), and Brits live to get pished......! ;)

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-02-2013, 10:06
To be honest i don't like food i think it's a pain in the arse having to eat a few times a day never mind a waste of a large chunk of my money & time but you have to eat to live i suppose :)

However people have different attitudes to drinking, some go out to socialize some to pull birds some to get pished, im in the latter, i don't see the logic in drinking without getting drunk :scratch: one thing i don't understand is how someone can become an alkerolic, ive been on a few week long benders in my time but never been dependant on it!

As you know i have zero value for life & if i can get out of this shitty world by getting dwunk i will do so :eyebrows:

Marco
02-02-2013, 10:22
Lol... I understand where you're coming from, dude, but can't empathise with it in any way.

You know that we agree on many things, but when it comes to our attitudes towards food and drink, we *are* literally living in different worlds!! ;)

Marco.

Barry
03-02-2013, 01:03
Oh André, André, André ....

You have it 'all about face'! The point is to enjoy life! You and I are not so different - we have both been 'shafted' in our times; at least you have a partner you care about and who cares about you.

If it wasn't for my friends, music, food, drink and travel, I think I might have 'topped' myself years ago.

Booze is not the panacea, but knowing you like Shiraz, I can recommend the following:

2010 Fairview 'The Black Road', Shiraz Pinotage

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/64138.png

An Aussie 'slurp', the Shiraz grape gives it a big 'bold' flavour (in 'wine speak', Shiraz is spoken of as being "generous"), as well as providing 'spice and pepper' flavours.

14% ABV, about £10 a bottle.

Marco
03-02-2013, 08:29
Mmm... That should pack a nice wallop! :eyebrows:

Marco.

archiesdad
03-02-2013, 14:12
Well today I have a stinkin' Bombay Sapphire Gin hangover, really need to get away from the keyboard and take the dog out to try some fresh air, never again, well till the snooker tonight.:cool:

Barry
08-02-2013, 18:26
A rear insight into the Government's 'Hospitality' wine collection.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-13387171

Rare Bird
08-02-2013, 18:29
Yum i'd like some of that Cognac in mi tummy :eyebrows:

2.5 hours coundown to Red Wine drinkipoo's :D

Barry
08-02-2013, 18:31
Yum i'd like some of that Cognac in mi tummy :eyebrows:

2.5 hours coundown to Red Wine drinkipoo's :D

What's so special about 23:00? Is that when you eat dinner? :scratch:

Rare Bird
08-02-2013, 18:32
What's so special about 23:00? Is that when you eat dinner? :scratch:

21.00 is when i land in the pub on a Friday :)

Barry
08-02-2013, 18:36
21.00 is when i land in the pub on a Friday :)

Ah - that make sense. (I can't do simple addition! :doh:)

Barry
09-02-2013, 19:19
For those who are getting tired of me recommending wines (clarets in particular) that cost £10 or more a bottle, here is something for lovers of Spanish rioja.

Viña Gala – Rioja Tinto

http://www.spanishwine.eclipse.co.uk/rioja_vinagala.jpg

100% Tempranillo, 13% ABV

Available from your local Co-op for £5.49 a bottle. And a damned fine rioja it is too!

Alex_UK
09-02-2013, 20:09
Wow - that's cheap for a decent Rioja - one of my favourite varieties. I went to the co-op today but came out with a Côtes du Rhône for tomorrow's roast beef with the family.

Barry
18-02-2013, 19:59
For those of you who are partial to Spanish Rioja, do try to check this one out:

2010 Selección de la Familia Carlos, La Mancha, Castilla VdT

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/64188.png

This is an absolute stonker of a rioja! Medium bodied, 100% Tempranillo grape. 13% ABV

"Jucy summer berries with a touch of vanilla"

And the best news - only £6.99 a bottle from Laithwaite's Wine. :)

Marco
18-02-2013, 20:09
I presume that's if you buy a case, or are Laithwaite's now selling bottles individually? ;)

Still - it looks very good! :)

Marco.

Barry
18-02-2013, 20:31
I presume that's if you buy a case, or are Laithwaite's now selling bottles individually? ;)

Still - it looks very good! :)

Marco.

Hi Marco,

No, that's per bottle. :) http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/Still_Red_Wine/Seleccion_de_la_Familia_Carlos/prod4513021

Just enjoyed a couple of glasses with a beef bourguignon, mashed potato, carrots, leeks and brocolli.

If you are interested, we could share a case.

Marco
18-02-2013, 20:41
Interesting, Barry. I wasn't aware that one could order single bottles of wine, through Laithwaites.

I'll bear sharing a case in mind, but right now it's Lent, so Del and I are off ALL alcohol for 6 weeks! :(

Marco.

Bazil
18-02-2013, 20:54
Interesting, Barry. I wasn't aware that one could order single bottles of wine, through Laithwaites.

I'll bear sharing a case in mind, but right now it's Lent, so Del and I are off ALL alcohol for 6 weeks! :(

Marco.

:eek: Thank the Lord I'm a Seven Day Imbiber :eyebrows:

Barry
18-02-2013, 21:04

Marco.

Ah yes - I had forgotten. Should have been a little more thoughtful. Sorry :doh:

Marco
18-02-2013, 21:38
Lol... If you'd remembered, I'd have been most impressed!

Still, the Rioja looks good, so we can discuss sharing a case after Lent :)

Marco.

Yomanze
18-02-2013, 21:59
I do not touch grape these days as it doesn't agree with my stomach or head, but ale is a different matter! I am a fan of highly hopped ales & enjoying the US craft scene at the moment for American IPAs. There are also some awesome British American-style IPAs.

I think "Punk IPA" was a good brand for Brew Dog as it's a good way to describe the current IPAs with their extreme level of hoppiness that non-drinkers grimace at saying it tastes like perfume. Punk IPA is nice, but it's 'punky and immature' compared to these amazing ales:

Little Creatures IPA - this is a good introduction to IPA as it's less intense than the American & British ones. If you're an IPA fan then this'll seem a bit washed out, but it's a lovely, delicately floral (in a nice way!) and easy going ale.

Goose Island IPA to be found at many British supermarkets. Far more sophisticated than Punk IPA and a good everyday example of a real American IPA with heavy use of multiple hop varieties & dry hopping - the Yanks are biggest is best in so many ways.

Cascade IPA - this is currently in Carringtons in Chorlton, Manchester. Will find further details, but most ale fans will like this with a single hop simplicity, and not the same intensity as the American IPAs.

Marks & Spencer Cornish IPA - wonderfully fresh, medium bodied IPA that's great on train journeys. ;) I sometimes pick a couple of these up for my trains back from London. Much better than the Staffordshire IPA they sell.

Barry
18-02-2013, 23:58
Lol... If you'd remembered, I'd have been most impressed!

Still, the Rioja looks good, so we can discuss sharing a case after Lent :)

Marco.

Well actually, when I heard it was Lent I thought to myself "Marco and Del will be abstaining, so better not post any comments on wine" - but then I forgot and was keen to tell people about the above mentioned rioja.

Marco
19-02-2013, 07:22
Lol - don't worry about us, matey. Carry on regardless with your excellent recommendations! :)

Marco.

Barry
18-03-2013, 20:57
2008 Marqués de Valido, Rioja Reserva

Attention Rioja lovers, the Co-op have this very decent rioja on half price offer - reduced from £10.99 to £5.49.

http://sc.cellartracker.com/labels/1334923227/225919.jpg
(The 2008 has an identical label, save for the year.)

Smooth, complex and reasonably full-bodied, this rioja is very drinkable and at a very reasonable price. 13% ABV. Offer ends 2 April.

(With apologies to Marco who is following the Lenten abstention – but that ought not to stop one from purchasing a bottle or two.)

Marco
19-03-2013, 07:24
That looks like a belter, Barry! I think I'll buy a couple of bottles and put them aside for after Lent :)

Marco.

Theotherlarryb
20-03-2013, 20:48
I love the old real ale and if you get the chance I recommend Hepworths from the lovely town of Horsham. They brew the Sussex ale for M&S and also do a blond lager (called, brilliantly, "blond") which is perfect for a summer's day. Assuming one ever arrives.

Barry
22-03-2013, 18:11
Following on from my notification of the 2008 Marqués de Valido Rioja Reserva the Co-op have have on half price offer, I may have appeared to be a little too enthusiastic. Certainly this rioja is not worth the full price of £10.99 a bottle but at £5.49 it's not too bad.

I certainly found the bottle I tried to be very drinkable: smooth with good complexity, if far from being full-bodied. It does have to be served at 18C, and allowed to breath.

The reason I am posting this, is because I have just spent the afternoon listening to a friends audio system, and by way of conversation, the Co-op rioja came up. He too had tried a bottle (from the same store) and found it, in his words, "harsh, coarse and un-drinkable". So much so, he finished the bottle by adding sparkling lemonade (?) to make a spritzer.

Now he may have had the misfortune to buy a 'bad' bottle, but I feel I had to bring this to your attention. Caveat emptor.

[I believe Aldi are selling some good rioja at the moment on offer. Will investegate and report back.]

Alex_UK
22-03-2013, 20:23
Funnily enough Barry, we've just polished off a bottle and "Certainly this rioja is not worth the full price of £10.99 a bottle but at £5.49 it's not too bad." was almost exactly what I said. Not enough oak or vanilla for my taste, but certainly acceptable. I had no need to reach for the lemonade, though! :eek:

Barry
23-03-2013, 00:58
Funnily enough Barry, we've just polished off a bottle and "Certainly this rioja is not worth the full price of £10.99 a bottle but at £5.49 it's not too bad." was almost exactly what I said. Not enough oak or vanilla for my taste, but certainly acceptable. I had no need to reach for the lemonade, though! :eek:

Glad I didn't recommend a total "pup", but I have drunk far better riojas for only a very little more. I won't be buying any more of the 2008 Marqués de Valido Rioja Reserva, but will investigate those Aldi have on offer at the moment.

Alex_UK
05-04-2013, 17:07
Now this is more like it co-op - from Bodegas Luis Alegre (http://en.luisalegre.com/) - Simo Rioja Crianza 2007. Technically, a Crianza shouldn't be as good as the last recommendation of a Rioja Reserva, but this one is a cracker! All that lovely oakiness and vanilla - one of the nicest Riojas I have tried in a long time.

http://yfrog.com/scaled/landing/739/6zzhk.jpg

Not such a bargain as last time, though - down £2 from £8.99 to £6.99 - but I'd be happy with it even at the full price - in fact better than most £10-12 Riojas if you love them the way I do. :)

DSJR
05-04-2013, 21:13
No wonder your wine bill for a WEEK was the same as my fuel bill for the month! :rolleyes: :D

Alex_UK
05-04-2013, 21:16
No wonder your wine bill for a WEEK was the same as my fuel bill for the month! :rolleyes: :D

True, but you don't get out much, and I stay in a lot, so it probably evens itself out! :)

Barry
06-04-2013, 19:44
Now this is more like it co-op - from Bodegas Luis Alegre (http://en.luisalegre.com/) - Simo Rioja Crianza 2007. Technically, a Crianza shouldn't be as good as the last recommendation of a Rioja Reserva, but this one is a cracker! All that lovely oakiness and vanilla - one of the nicest Riojas I have tried in a long time.

http://yfrog.com/scaled/landing/739/6zzhk.jpg

Not such a bargain as last time, though - down £2 from £8.99 to £6.99 - but I'd be happy with it even at the full price - in fact better than most £10-12 Riojas if you love them the way I do. :)

Alex - was this bought from your local Co-op? I couldn't find it in mine.

Alex_UK
06-04-2013, 19:50
Yes it was, Barry - sorry you couldn't find it at yours. :(

Barry
09-04-2013, 23:02
Discovered in Maplin - a rather "nifty" wine bottle thermometer:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-wine-bottle-thermometer-662388

At only £2.49 (on offer until 16.04.13), this is a useful little "gizmo" to check the temperature of your wine. It clips around the bottle, and whilst there is no indication of accuracy, I believe the accuracy is sufficient for practical purposes.

Used it today to ensure the temperature of my bottle of Bordeaux was 17 - 18 degC. :)

Barry
11-04-2013, 10:46
As an update to the above post and having read the information on the side of the box, I can now tell you:

Indoor temperature accuracy: +/-1 deg C
Indor temperature resolution: 1 deg C

"Measures bottle temperature which is one degree higher than contents"

I believe this is sufficient for practical purposes.

The thermometer comes with fitted with a CR2025 lithium cell, but I can see no way by which the cell can be replaced. Since the device is activated when it is clipped around the bottle and deactivated when removed, the battery life should be long; but when exhausted it would seem the thermometer has to be thrown away! :doh:

Marco
11-04-2013, 18:50
Nice one, Barry. That's a neat little device :)

Anyway, I don't normally remember to recommend the real ales I drink, but this one I'm quaffing now is special enough to have reminded me to make the effort:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3320/hummerbio.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/hummerbio.png/)

If you love pale ales, such as Deuchars IPA, then this unusual American beer should hit the spot: creamy as a very creamy thing, with an attractive richness and refreshing citrus hit - luvvly jubbly! :cool:

Details here: http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/humming_ale

Available in the UK from Beers of Europe: http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/anchor-humming-ale

Marco.

Barry
14-04-2013, 20:59
2009 Château Cap D’Or Saint Georges – Saint-Emilion, Bordeaux

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/63951b.jpg?type=1&imageType=largeImage

Gold Medal Winner Vignerons Independants Concours 2011.

Châteaux in the tiny outlying village of Saint Georges may use the Montagne Saint Emilion appellation for their wines but a number continue to assert their own identity, taking pride in their excellent terroir. Typically for this part of Bordeaux, Château Cap d'Or grows mostly Merlot, which is well suited to the clay rich soils, and produces lush, ripe, plummy flavours. That's just what you'll find in this wine, plus a gentle wrap of oak.Like many properties, the estate crafted one of its finest clarets to date in 2009 - "perhaps the greatest vintage Bordeaux has ever produced" (Steven Spurrier). To enjoy the wine at its best, open an hour beforehand and decant to let it breathe. Delicious with red meats - roasted, casseroled or grilled.

80% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. 14% ABV, £15 a bottle

2009 Château Portal Minnervois Vieilles Vignes

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/64458b.jpg?type=1&imageType=largeImage

Gold Medal Winner Concours Mondial, Bruxelles 2010.

Château Portal is one of the leading estates in the Minervois, with a history dating back to the 11th century. The property was home to French nobility throughout the Middle Ages and to this day retains a restored 8th century chapel. Jérôme Portal's 80 hectares of vines grow right next to the region's top cru, La Livinière, so it's little surprise the quality is so high.Cuvée Jérôme is crafted mainly from rich and spicy Syrah supported by raspberry rich Grenache and spicy Carignan - the incredibly intense flavours of which are due to rare 100 year old vines. Ageing for a year in lightly toasted French oak barrels imparts extra complexity. Serve this splendid southern French red with traditional cassoulet or roast shoulder of lamb.

14% ABV, c. £11 a bottle

I can highly recommend both of these!

Barry
17-04-2013, 16:41
Spring, at long last, is now here - so it's time for vin blanc. Tesco have on half-price offer (£4.99) the 2012 Ogio, Pinot Grigio. 12% ABV

http://img.tesco.com/wine/UIAssets/pi/699/0839728001699/IDShot_150x300.jpg

This is my favourite pinot grigio. :) Offer ends 25.04.13.

Barry
19-04-2013, 17:44
2009 Château Peybourdieu, Médoc

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/62826b.jpg?type=1&imageType=largeImage

“When it comes to positioning the quality of a Bordeaux vintage, critic Robert Parker is highly influential. His verdict on 2009? It "may turn out to be the finest vintage I have tasted in 32 years". Shortly after this pronouncement, prices of leading crus classés wines soared. That's why we delight in discovering sensibly priced classics like Château Peybourdieu. Winemaker Denis Cayé is the third generation of his family at the property since 1956. In 2009, grape quality was so exceptional he had little to do in the cellar other than let nature do its work. A 60/40 blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, this is thoroughly delicious, satin smooth Médoc with cassis, liquorice and cigar box character. Well suited to roast duck or lamb.”

Another ‘belter’ from Laithwaites. 14% ABV, £9.99 a bottle.

Decanting is recommended as a small amount of sediment will have formed.

Alex_UK
19-04-2013, 20:14
Ooh, that sounds good Barry... :drool: I might have to abuse my Laitwhaite account!

Barry
06-05-2013, 18:43
2011 Réserve du Dolmen, Minervois

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/63865b.jpg?type=1&imageType=largeImage

A cheeky little wine that may amuse you with its presumptive nature….

Minervois is a rugged, mountainous region between Béziers and Carcassonne. It was the first place in southern France where the Romans planted vines. Exceptional terroir and low yields enable Minervois' growers to get real depth and concentration in their wines. (The fact that they do so at such highly competitive prices is a tribute to their dedication and perseverance.)This intense red comes from the multi award winning Lauran Cabaret cellars. Most of the grapes were vinified traditionally, although the portion of Carignan was fermented in whole bunches to accentuate fruitiness and minimise tannins. Enjoy its ripe, red berry flavours and herbal complexity with grilled or roasted red meats, light game, rich pasta dishes or mature cheeses.

A blend of Syrah and Grenache Noir. 13.5% ABV £8 from Laithwaites.

Barry
18-05-2013, 22:31
Good evening oenophiles,

Of late I have been going through a Médoc ‘phase’. I have already waxed lyrical about the 2009 Fleur de Mothe (sadly finished my last bottle!). This time I want to commend another Médoc to you, the

2009 Château Cerestin La Lande

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/62665b.jpg?type=1&imageType=largeImage

Region: Garonne Grape variety: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot. 14% ABV.

Jean-Marc Sauboua was born into the elite world of Bordeaux wine. He is himself an accomplished winemaker and now, as our claret buyer, he draws on his valuable little black book of 'wine chums' to help track down exceptional clarets ahead of the UK competition. To follow up a lead, Jean-Marc drove out to some tucked away Médoc vineyards in the little village of Saint Christoly. There he met with François Arnaudy, seventh generation owner of Château Cerestin La Lande, and tasted his truly sublime 2009 vintage.A blend of equal parts Cabernet and Merlot from the fruit of 30 year old vines, this is a classic Médoc with exceptional vintage ripeness and balance. It's best when decanted an hour in advance and enjoyed with roast lamb or duck.

This has received mixed reviews; one good review, one poor. Maybe the latter was a bad bottle? I loved it, 2009 was an excellent year (and so too was 2010) and am thinking of buying a case (Marco?)

Laithwaite’s, £11 a bottle.

Have just opened my last bottle of the 2007 Le Grand Chai, Margaux. Enjoyed with chicken breast in a tomato and basil sauce, baked tomato, potatoes, baby carrots, fine beans, peas and broccoli and spinach.

Have you tried your bottle yet Marco? What did you think of it?

Rare Bird
18-05-2013, 22:50
I think it was the 29th March the last time booze touched my lips :)

Marco
19-05-2013, 07:37
Aye, now you just take it intravenously - saves on glasses! :eyebrows:

Bazza, I've not had the Margaux yet, but will do today with Sunday lunch. It should wash down nicely some local Welsh lamb cutlets, marinated in olive oil, garlic, rosemary and lemon, then grilled to perfection and served with whatever fresh vegetables Del decides to make! :)

Nice idea on the Cerestin La Lande. However, at the moment, we're clearing room on the wine racks for our forthcoming trip to France and Italy, where the car will be heaving on the way back with vino, so bad timing, muchacho...

Ask me that question again nearer Christmas, and if you've found something nice, we'll go halfers on a case! :cheers:

Marco.

Marco
20-05-2013, 06:14
Barry, we had the Margaux yesterday - very nice indeed... Typical of the breed: a very classy slurp! :cheers:

Marco.

Barry
20-05-2013, 12:38
Barry, we had the Margaux yesterday - very nice indeed... Typical of the breed: a very classy slurp! :cheers:

Marco.

Glad you enjoyed it Marco. To be honest, I was a little disappointed with my (last) bottle. Very little nose, despite being opened and decanted an hour before drinking.

It was a 2007 and "favours early drinking - but will respond well to a few years cellaring". Perhaps six years was a bit too long. :scratch:

See what I can come up with for the AoS show. (By the way when are we getting confirmation of the venue - I want to book a room.)

ATB

Barry
04-06-2013, 18:27
To celebrate both the return of the ‘New Look’ Forum and the start of summer, you might be interested in a rather tasty Chablis:

2010 Chablis Premier Cru, Domaine Brocard.

(Sorry, can’t find an image for the label)

Chardonnay grape. 12.5% ABV Bottled by Domaines Brocard.

“… offers a palate of mouth-watering citrus fruit and minerality underpinned by a long dry finish.”

Normally sells for £14.99 a bottle. On offer in the Co-op at £12.99 a bottle.

Marco
04-06-2013, 20:40
Excellent, Barry - will check that out! :cheers:

Btw, I've deleted your thread, showing the above, in Abstract Chat. As you've now realised yourself, here is where it should've been posted ;)

Marco.

Barry
08-06-2013, 18:37
Here's one to look out for (and possibly lay down):

2011 Château Constance, Corbières vieilles vignes

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/63649b.jpg?type=1&imageType=largeImage

“Picture rough, rugged, mountainous Corbières where wild boar outnumber people and ravens circle the craggy peaks. Wine-wise, its range of microclimates give vine growers plenty to play with and make it one of the few places where the Carignan grape can really shine. When yields are kept low, this characterful variety adds bags of colour and a savoury depth to the flavours of its fruitier fellow grapes, such as the raspberry rich Grenache. Consultant winemaker at the property is Saint Emilion trained Claude Gros, who really knows how to make the most of the 'vieilles vignes' grapes. Dark, smoky berry fruit enhanced by notes of the surrounding garrigue, this rich, weighty red makes an ideal match with lamb, a robust cassoulet or duck.”

Carignan and Grenache grape 13.5% ABV.

Laithwaite’s, £8.99 a bottle.

I’ve half a mind to invest in a case. Decanting is advisable. I’m enjoying this with a beef ragu with Mafaldine pasta, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, red peppers, and spinach.

Marco
08-06-2013, 18:50
That looks really good, Barry! If you can hang on until we've polished off some of the stuff Del and I will be bringing back from France and Italy, I'll go halfers with you on a case :cheers:

Marco.

Barry
08-06-2013, 19:17
That looks really good, Barry! If you can hang on until we've polished off some of the stuff Del and I will be bringing back from France and Italy, I'll go halfers with you on a case :cheers:

Marco.

Will do Marco. :) I may well order a case before I come up to N. Wales next week (shame you and Del can't join us for the concert), but put aside six bottles for you.

Marco
08-06-2013, 20:01
That's very kind of you, Barry, and appreciated. Hold onto them, though, until after we've come back from holiday, as right now we're in clearance, rather than collecting mode! :)

Marco.

Barry
02-07-2013, 14:36
2008 Pouilly-Fuissé, Vieilles Vignes, Domaine Magnin-Gonon

http://img.morrisonscellar.com/ImageServlet/servlet?mediatype=WINE&id=0985261&width=88&height=0&type=ALTERNATIVEIMAGE1CROP

Well summer is at last here, so whilst watching Wimbledon or lazing around in the garden, why not take advantage of a rather nice little Maconnais white Burgundy?

Lovely citrus notes with just a little mineral – more subdued than you find with say a Pouilly Fumé, which can often taste a bit too much of flint.

13% ABV, available from the Co-op at £7 a bottle.

Last night I enjoyed a bottle with oven baked wild salmon, done in a spinach, cheese and white wine sauce topped with potato and a cheese gratin and served with Jersey Royal potatoes, steamed asparagus tips, broccoli, red pepper and fresh garden peas.

julesd68
02-07-2013, 18:16
Strewth - 7 quid for a decent Pouilly Fuisse??

I know where I'm going tomorrow! :thumbsup:

Barry
02-07-2013, 20:49
Strewth - 7 quid for a decent Pouilly Fuisse??

I know where I'm going tomorrow! :thumbsup:

I have drunk better - but at a much higher price! Even so, I can see me returning for a few more bottles.

You might be interested in the 2010 Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi available from M&S at £7.49.

http://winicjatywa.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Verdicchio-MS_ppr-522x584.jpg

This is well worth the extra over the Tesco version (at £4.80 a bottle)

http://img.tesco.com/wine/UIAssets/pi/558/5000119123558/IDShot_150x300.jpg

However if you want to push the boat out a little, I can thoroughly recommend an Austrian white: Gruner Veldliner.

http://img.tesco.com/wine/UIAssets/pi/022/5052319940022/IDShot_150x300.jpg

Available from Tesco at £7.49 a bottle.

Barry
03-07-2013, 16:54
Further to the above post, Co-op have on offer a 2010 Chablis Premier Cru, Domaines Brocard.

Chardonnay grape, 12.5% ABV. Normally £13.99 a bottle, now reduced to £10.99.

julesd68
03-07-2013, 17:01
Sadly for me Barry, the Pouilly Fuisse was 13.99 at my local Co-op! :(

Barry
03-07-2013, 17:08
That's a shame Julian. It seems that various branches of supermarkets have some autonomy when it comes to offers.

Alex (Alex_UK) some time ago posted about a very attractively priced Margaux seen at his Aldi. Sadly it was not available at my local branch.

Marco
03-07-2013, 17:55
Sadly it was not availably at my local branch.

Realably, are you sureably?

Good job, I say, or you would've ended up even more drunk!! :D

;)

Marco.

Barry
03-07-2013, 19:39
Realably, are you sureably?

Good job, I say, or you would've ended up even more drunk!! :D

;)

Marco.

Oh Marco - is this the best you can do? :eyebrows:

You know I type too quickly and don't proof-read carefully enough! Verbum sapientii satis.

Anyway, I'm halfway through a bottle of the Co-0p 2010 Pouilly - Fuissé, so I don't care. :ner:

Marco
03-07-2013, 20:09
Lol - and quite right, too. It's rather lovely stuff... Enjoy! :cheers:

Marco.

SteveW
04-07-2013, 05:15
Forgive me if its been mentioned .. But Toro Loco from Aldi.
Unbelievable at £3.69
If you can get any when it comes in that is.

Rare Bird
14-07-2013, 16:28
Hi Steve
I bought a couple bottles of Cheap Red for dinner, from Aldi on my way home from the carboot today: Grapevine Merlot, that was around £3 a bottle, im shocked how good it is, in fact i could sup this all the time..

StanleyB
14-07-2013, 16:33
We should be shocked how much the big supermarkets charge us for some of the wines they stock. Aldi an Lidl got the price versus quality about right. The Lidl Prosecco is absolutely fab at £7.99. It used to be about half that one time, but once the word got out it shot up in price.

Barry
16-07-2013, 18:29
When supermarkets run so-called 'half price' offers on wine, all they are doing is offering the wine at the correct price with very little mark up. At all other times they simply make a massive profit.

Having said that, it is unreasonable to expect to be able to buy a decent white for less than about £5.

Ulysses
22-07-2013, 20:27
http://pintsandpubs.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/tollys-english-ale.jpg

Greene King’s Tolly English Ale crowned World’s Best

11 October, 2012

Bury St Edmunds brewer Greene King’s Tolly English Ale has been voted the greatest low strength beer in the world!

The 2.8% ABV brew triumphed in the World’s Best Low Strength Beer category after three tough rounds of judging at the World Beer Awards this week.

Popular with after-work drinkers and those looking to cut down on their alcohol intake, Tolly was given the honour by a panel of experts that included some of the most renowned beer aficionados on the planet.

More than 600 entries from 32 countries were blind tasted before category winners, including Tolly, were announced.

julesd68
22-07-2013, 20:40
Bought a delicious Touraine Sauv Blanc for £6.59 in Waitrose ... Great value. Took a gamble as most of their discounted wines I have bought in the past turned out to be utter rubbish.
Very refreshing, pronounced gooseberry flavours ...

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-7593-Champteloup+Touraine+Sauvignon

Roy S
27-07-2013, 21:36
Tescos now stock this, I like Guiness anyway but this is delicious

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/Lodger56/fc22389a-119a-47ac-a21a-01ff11727f9f_zps3d4bff61.jpg

Barry
05-08-2013, 21:05
Some reds enjoyed over the last month or so:

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/61943b.jpg?type=1&imageType=largeImage http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/63951b.jpg?type=1&imageType=largeImage http://www.sundaytimeswineclub.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/63185b.jpg?type=1&imageType=largeImage

Left to right, they are:

2008 Chateau Les Vallees, Bordeaux
Though the 2008 Bordeaux vintage was released without the fanfare of 2005 or 2009, it was, for the discerning few, cause for celebration. The wines were not super ripe and ready for immediate consumption, but classically structured and elegant, with the potential to evolve gracefully over the years.The 11th century Château Les Vallées once belonged to the Duke of Epernon, Chief Admiral of France under Henry III. These days it's run by Justin Onclin, the owner of Parker rated Château Branas Poujeaux and winemaker for Margaux's Cru Classé Prieuré Lichine. Add to that the expertise of the world renowned Stéphane Derenoncourt and you can understand why this claret is so delicious. Soft and supple, this 2008 is perfect with roast lamb or beef.

70% Merlot 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12.5% ABV £10 a bottle
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/Still_Red_Wine/Chateau_Les_Vallees/prod4513004

2009 Chateau Cap D’Or, Saint-Georges-Saint-Emilion
Châteaux in the tiny outlying village of Saint Georges may use the Montagne Saint Emilion appellation for their wines but a number continue to assert their own identity, taking pride in their excellent terroir. Typically for this part of Bordeaux, Château Cap d'Or grows mostly Merlot, which is well suited to the clay rich soils, and produces lush, ripe, plummy flavours. That's just what you'll find in this wine, plus a gentle wrap of oak.Like many properties, the estate crafted one of its finest clarets to date in 2009 - "perhaps the greatest vintage Bordeaux has ever produced" (Steven Spurrier). To enjoy the wine at its best, open an hour beforehand and decant to let it breathe. Delicious with red meats - roasted, casseroled or grilled.

Gold Medal Winner Vignerons Independantes Concours 2011

80% Merlot 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% ABV £15 a bottle
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/Still_Red_Wine/Chateau_Cap_dOr/prod4512828

2010 Chateau Rollin, Haut-Médoc
Blessed with ideal conditions for growing vines, the Médoc is the world's largest top quality wine region, and its fine wines have been enjoyed in the UK for centuries. Château Rollin lies in the Haut-Médoc, where the famous 'communes' (including Margaux and Pauillac) are located. It is owned jointly by the Martin and Tiffon families, fourth generation growers who are extremely conscientious about managing their vineyard. Planted mainly with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, their 10 hectares of precious, 40 year old vines lie in the commune of Saint Sauveur.It's definitely worth decanting this vibrant, modern style claret to bring out its full fantail of fine aromas before serving with duck breast, rack of lamb or a hearty stew.

50% Merlot 48% Cabernet Sauvignon 2% Petit Verdot, 13.5% ABV £14.40 a bottle
http://www.sundaytimeswineclub.co.uk/DWBase/jsp/article/index.jsp?productId=prod3767223&tab=reviews

Also

2009 Chateau De Frimont – Bordeaux
… with aromas of blackberries, blackcurrents, prunes and hints of roses and grilled almonds. …silky smooth, persistent and elegant, with good cellaring potential.

Medaille d’Or, Recolte 2009 and Médaille d’Or Concours de Bordeaux Vins d’Aquitaine 2010.

Bottle 100116/ No. 13179

85% Merlot 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13.5% About £ 9.50 a bottle

Image can be found in http://www.icbcasia.com/eng/20120629_ICBCCardOffer_Wine_EN.pdf

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/images/products/64194b.jpg?type=1&imageType=largeImage

2011 Chateau Le Coin, Bordeaux
We've worked with Ludovic Roussillon at Château Le Coin now for a number of vintages, helping him to make modern, fruit rich clarets exclusively for our customers. The soil on his immaculately tended estate in the Entre Deux Mers is pure limestone and very rocky, so the vines are kept well drained and the grapes concentrated.Ludovic is very open to new ideas, and our own Bordeaux specialist Jean-Marc Sauboua helped him get the most from his grapes in 2011 - a vintage that proved trickier than the two preceeding ones. With measures in place to reduce yields and keep the bunches in top health, quality didn't suffer. Made mostly from Merlot with just a touch of both Cabernets, Château Le Coin is ideal for your Sunday roast or a tasty stew.

80% Merlot 15% Cabernet Sauvignon 5% Cabernet Franc, 14.5% ABV £9 a bottle.

Not quite as good as the 2009, but pretty close!
http://www.sundaytimeswineclub.co.uk/DWBase/jsp/templates/article/productDetails.jsp?productId=prod4615684

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/Still_Red_Wine/Chateau_Le_Coin/prod4615683

Rare Bird
25-08-2013, 09:09
I got totally rat arsed yesterday on Sneck Lifter it's so yummy :D

Barry
25-08-2013, 19:19
I got totally rat arsed yesterday on Sneck Lifter it's so yummy :D

5.1% - that's strong. About the same as 'Old Speckled Hen'; and two of those is enough for me!

Rare Bird
14-09-2013, 09:10
I was rat arsed on this yesterday. The brewery is a 5 min walk from our house :eyebrows: 4% It's a light beer but tastes nice. £1.80 a pint is dead right.

http://www.chantrybrewery.co.uk/contact.html

keiths
14-09-2013, 11:19
I'd have had that short measure topped up...

Rare Bird
14-09-2013, 11:23
wasnt short before a had a sip on the way from the bar

Rare Bird
14-09-2013, 11:29
I'm back out on the piss this afternoon, i spotted some Millstone 'Honey Porter' beer on my way oot last night, which is a dark beer 4.9% :eyebrows:

julesd68
15-09-2013, 18:56
Fantastic value Viognier / Chardonnay blend from Waitrose at £5.59 ...
I will definitely be buying this again.

http://www.waitrosedirect.com/wcsstore/SharedStoreFront/Custom/images/LN_053317_BP_a_4.jpg

Barry
16-09-2013, 00:13
Fantastic value Viognier / Chardonnay blend from Waitrose at £5.59 ...
I will definitely be buying this again.

http://www.waitrosedirect.com/wcsstore/SharedStoreFront/Custom/images/LN_053317_BP_a_4.jpg

That looks like good value. Unfortunately we don't have a Waitrose here; we used to have one many years ago, and one will be coming in 2015, but not now. :(

The Grand Wazoo
16-09-2013, 17:45
Try Sainsburys, the Cote du Rhone is excellent too.

Barry
16-09-2013, 23:40
Something to think about, or "drink for thought":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21929287

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22909428, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24108094

Marco
17-09-2013, 06:36
Interesting links, Barry, so thanks for sharing :)

"People in their 60s and 70s grew up with wine on the table at every meal. For them, wine remains an essential part of their patrimoine, or cultural heritage."

Well, this 48 year-old Italian has been drinking wine at the table since he was 5! :exactly:

So what does that say?

"The middle generation - now in their 40s and 50s - sees wine as a more occasional indulgence. They compensate for declining consumption by spending more money. They like to think they drink less but better."

There is some truth in that, I think.

For starters, I would always, as a matter of course, "drink less but better", as quality is rather more important to me than quantity - and always will be. It's got bugger all to do with 'snobbery', but rather simply the fact that I genuinely enjoy drinking fine wines and can appreciate how different they are from the standard £5-8 'gluggers', especially when consumed in conjunction with the right type of food.

These days, I'm simply not interested in getting drunk. Drinking wine, for me, is all about savouring something rather special with some quality home-cooked food. In that respect, it's not uncommon for us to spend £15 on a nice bottle of red, so we can often spend £30 or so on the two bottles of wine we usually consume at the weekend, although that's only when we've finished drinking all the pesudo-'£20-30' bottles of wine (in terms of comparable quality here) we've brought back from France, but which actually only cost us around 8 or 10 Euros...;)

However, we're not out at the pub getting pished every other night, so we probably spend rather less overall every week on wine than those do who enjoy 'pubbing it' regularly, and employ the 'get as much down yer neck, as cheaply as possible' approach to boozing! :eyebrows:

My alcohol intake for the week is generally sharing a bottle of wine with Del, with our meal on a Saturday evening, and with lunch on Sunday. For the rest of the week, I frequently go without drinking any further alcohol, or perhaps just having the odd bottle of continental lager (no more than three in total, however, from Monday to Friday). The remainder of the time I drink mostly sparkling mineral water, orange juice, and the occasional cup of tea. However, I have a large mug of frothy cappuccino every morning with breakfast.

As far as the French go, in terms of the article, and as a regular traveller to France, since the 70s, where we go (rural France, through fairly remote villages), I've witnessed no downturn in the amount of wine that French people drink. There are always bottles of wine (and water) at every table. However, one has to bear in mind that most of our eating and drinking there is spent in lorry drivers cafes (unquestionably the best places to eat 'proper food' in France), or in small family-run restaurants, where the clientele are rarely under the age of 30.

The scene may well be very different amongst younger people in 'trendy' bars in large towns and cities, or with French people at home, as indeed it is in Italy, amongst younger people, where wine (or beer) drinking is considered distinctly 'uncool', simply because it's what their parents and/or grandparents have always done, and they want to be different. They would rather drink some Coke, Fanta or mineral water, or sip an espresso.

If only the youngsters in this country were like that!! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
17-09-2013, 07:03
Interesting differences in attitude to wine with meals. We have a glass with every main meal of the day. Good or even reasonable wine improves and compliments the flavours of the food. Too much and you can't taste the food at all.

We had a guest over from the UK last week. As we had our sips, he downed his by the glass and went for another and another............it took him three days to notice that we weren't joining him and he did cut back a bit. We bought him a box in the end. Loads of Brits out here just pour it down and have the bellies to prove it. Sitting in front of the Sky box helps that too.

I suppose its a culture thing. The French and Italians have wine as an intrinsic part of everyday culture whereas in the UK, its still a fairly recent thing and our genes are used to pints!!

Marco
17-09-2013, 08:55
Hi Gordon,

Interesting differences in attitude to wine with meals. We have a glass with every main meal of the day. Good or even reasonable wine improves and compliments the flavours of the food. Too much and you can't taste the food at all.

Absolutely, on all counts! When we're off work together, especially during the warm weather, Del and I (often also in the company of friends), always enjoy sharing a bottle of wine (or two), or some Normandy cider (or such like), with lunch. There's simply nothing nicer than whiling away a lazy afternoon, sitting and chatting with others who are like-minded, whilst consuming nice food and wine and listening to some good music in the background.

Unfortunately, however, the situation changes when Del goes back to work and it's more difficult for us to share a proper meal together, particularly as I prefer to eat my main meal during the day, and just have a light snack at night. Therefore, although I'm sometimes tempted to open a bottle of wine, and drink a glass or two out of it at lunchtime, sharing the rest with Del when she returns from work in the evening, it rarely happens, as it's just not the same.

"We had a guest over from the UK last week. As we had our sips, he downed his by the glass and went for another and another............it took him three days to notice that we weren't joining him and he did cut back a bit. We bought him a box in the end. Loads of Brits out here just pour it down and have the bellies to prove it. Sitting in front of the Sky box helps that too."

Indeed. A 'beer gut' is not something I ever want. I can't see it happening either, as I simply don't drink enough beer, or indeed alcohol, to develop one! However, I know exactly what you mean, and no offence to your guest, but I'm always rather put off by that rather vulgar 'abuse' of wine, and I simply wouldn't waste any of my good stuff on those who wouldn't appreciate it.

For those who do appreciate nice wine, and Barry will I'm sure attest to this, I'll serve some of the best stuff I have, and do it properly, by decanting it and serving it at the correct temperature in appropriate wine glasses.

The other thing that annoys me immensely are people who fill their wine glasses almost up to the rim, as if they were drinking a glass of pop!! :rolleyes: There's simply no way then that you can inhale the bouquet or 'nose', by rolling the wine around inside the glass, or savour the wine and appreciate it properly, when it's treated with such a complete lack of finesse.... :nono:

I always serve good wines in large goblets (the style of which depends on whether the wine is a claret or burgundy type), and simply fill them around quarter full, and then fill it up to the same point again when the glass needs replenishing. Anything else, for me, during a proper lunch or dinner party, would be an anathema! If we're just enjoying a casual 'slurp', though, we'll simply put it inside normal 'flute-type' glasses, but similarly, always only quarter full at any one time.

However, each to his or her own. If you're drinking wine, simply to get pissed, then I guess it doesn't matter how it goes down! I also hope that your rather greedy guests are similarly as generous with their wine when it's your turn to visit them!! ;)

"I suppose its a culture thing. The French and Italians have wine as an intrinsic part of everyday culture whereas in the UK, its still a fairly recent thing and our genes are used to pints!!"

Yup, that's true. It's getting a bit better here now in the UK, amongst the over 30s at least anyway. Sadly, though, youngsters here still have a serious tendency to abuse all forms of alcohol, almost as if it acts as some form of 'escape' from their unhappy lives...

Marco.

Rare Bird
20-09-2013, 09:59
I had a private party last night of the Titanic Stout. yum yum

julesd68
20-09-2013, 10:09
Absolutely text-book Marlborough Pinot Noir from Brancott Estate selling for 25% off at Sainsbury.
It's superb at £10.99 and at £8.24 it is a steal.

http://www.waitrosedirect.com/wcsstore/SharedStoreFront/Custom/images/LN_027013_BP_a_4.jpg

Marco
20-09-2013, 13:46
Nice recco, Jules. I'll defo check that out. I suspect it'll be a powerful bugger, though, and likely around 13.5% alc! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
20-09-2013, 13:57
I had couple bottles of South African 'Shiraz' a bit back 14/5% blew mi socks off :eyebrows:

julesd68
20-09-2013, 15:50
Nice recco, Jules. I'll defo check that out. I suspect it'll be a powerful bugger, though, and likely around 13.5% alc! :eyebrows:

Marco.

13% Marco, and not overpowering in the least ...

Alcohol levels of 14, 15% don't interest me at all and am totally against some of the 'modern' styles of wine-making that substitute complexity and subtlety for stupid levels of alcohol.

Firebottle
21-09-2013, 16:17
I'm in the UK at the moment, and I've got to say one of the things I miss in France is the fabulous selection of real ales.
Since I've been over I've partaken of the following:

Two Hoots - Joseph Holt 4.2% A lovely refreshing ale,
Sneck Lifter - Jennings 5.1% One of my favourites, on the bitter side but great taste,
Ruddles County - Greene King 4.3% Nice ale but not as good as when it was Ruddles brewery at 5%,
Golden Goose - Green King 3.8% A new one to me, good satisfying session ale,
Hobgoblin - Wychwood Brewery 5.2% Another favourite, one of the best,
Spitfire - Shepherd Neame 4.5% Don't mind another one,
Old Speckled Hen - Morland 4.1% A definitive choice for good ale,
Bishops Finger - Shepherd Neame 5.4% At the top of the bitter scale for me but flavoursome,
Bombardier - Wells 4.7% Another nice tasty ale,
Victory Ale - Batemans 6.0% What can I say, flavour through and through, not too many though,
ESB - Fullers 5.9% One of my all time favourites, fabulous flavour,

In the pub today I had:
Special - Holdens 5.0% A good ale with a cheese, black pudding and onion cob, yum,
Summer Lightning - Hopback Brewery 5.1% A forgotten favourite, I could drink this till I fell over,

Needless to say a lie down was in order, but I,ve got to sample some more tonight at a bit of a get together :eyebrows:

It's a hard life,

:cheers: Alan

Rare Bird
22-09-2013, 13:18
I got absolutely rat arsed last night on the best Stout i have ever tasted.

Acorn 'Gorlovka' Imperial Stout 6% yum yum yum

DaveK
22-09-2013, 15:47
Anybody tried Stella Artois Cidre? I have and I think it's great. Don't write it off as low alcohol 'cos it ain't. I don't drink a lot of cider but I really enjoy that one and their pear Cidre aint too bad either. Nice and refreshing for a summer afternoon and evening but perhaps not for cooler times :) .
Dave

Marco
22-09-2013, 15:50
Yup, it's nice stuff, Dave. Just a tad sweet for me, though, but certainly very drinkable! Gotta be served ice-cold... :cool:

Marco.

Clothears
01-11-2013, 21:50
Recently had my jollies over in California and was completely bowled over by the range of beers and ales on sale, lots of choice.

This one was a particular favourite..

http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/stone-arrogant-bastard-ale.jpg

synsei
01-11-2013, 22:05
Recently had my jollies over in California and was completely bowled over by the range of beers and ales on sale, lots of choice.

This one was a particular favourite..

http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/stone-arrogant-bastard-ale.jpg

:lol:

Nice colour that. The yanks are really beginning to get into their ale. Apparently micro-breweries are springing up everywhere and they are producing some top notch grog ;)

Anti Meep
01-11-2013, 22:51
Wifey and I recently spent four days in Napier with the intention of visiting a few wineries...which we did:D
Stand outs were
Alpha Domus, First Solo Chardonnay 2011.
Seleni, Sauvignon Blanc 2013
Mission Estate, VS Sauvignon Blanc 2012
Crab Farm, Gewurtztraminer 2012

We tried and bought plenty of others however these four whites are gorgeous all in their own way.
The real stunner though was a red...
Brookfields, Back Block Syrah 2013
This is pure velvet, I can only imagine what it will be like with a few years under its belt.

Andrei
02-11-2013, 00:12
Wifey and I recently spent four days in Napier with the intention of visiting a few wineries...which we did:D
Stand outs were
Alpha Domus, First Solo Chardonnay 2011.
Seleni, Sauvignon Blanc 2013
Mission Estate, VS Sauvignon Blanc 2012
Crab Farm, Gewurtztraminer 2012

We tried and bought plenty of others however these four whites are gorgeous all in their own way.
The real stunner though was a red...
Brookfields, Back Block Syrah 2013
This is pure velvet, I can only imagine what it will be like with a few years under its belt.

Glad you liked the Red, being a bit of a 'Red Man' myself. Hawkes Bay as an area though does seem to do whites - particularly Sauvignon Blanc - rather well. I don't really know why - guess it is the soil.

Clothears
02-11-2013, 13:10
:lol:

Nice colour that. The yanks are really beginning to get into their ale. Apparently micro-breweries are springing up everywhere and they are producing some top notch grog ;)

Every town seemed to have their own brewery. In Santa Barbara we went into the Santa Barbara Brewing Company bar and you could order a sampler tray to decide which one you liked best..

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c364/DaveBoden/SDC18551_zps52284b61.jpg (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/DaveBoden/media/SDC18551_zps52284b61.jpg.html)

and in one San Francisco bar, this was the choice of ales to go at..

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c364/DaveBoden/SDC18455_zpsd005ea2d.jpg (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/DaveBoden/media/SDC18455_zpsd005ea2d.jpg.html)

Made a nice change from shitty old John Smiths

Rare Bird
02-11-2013, 13:35
Yum yum. i'll take the end one with the big Head :eyebrows:

I did a 7 hour stretch in 'Weatherspoons' {Benjam Hudsons} Sheffield yesterday afternoon supping some nice Stout with oatmeal 4.5% Abv {Forgot what they called it}.. heaven knows how i got home :scratch:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/Stout.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ELPFAN1968/media/Stout.jpg.html)

jollyfix
02-11-2013, 13:43
Andre i used to live in a graveyard in Brightside Sheffield ( long story). Glad i never have to visit Meadowhell ever again. I used to drink in a pub opposite the Kashmire ( great cheap indian cafe/restaurant).

Clothears
02-11-2013, 13:45
You ever done the Beer Train from Manchester over to West Yorkshire or vv, stopping at various points on the way? Me and my mate keep meaning to do it one day when there's no work the following day!

I've been in the pub on Stalybridge station which was great, and the one on Huddersfield station looks the dogs do-da's too. :cool:

Rare Bird
02-11-2013, 14:21
Andre i used to live in a graveyard in Brightside Sheffield ( long story). Glad i never have to visit Meadowhell ever again. I used to drink in a pub opposite the Kashmire ( great cheap indian cafe/restaurant).

Hi {Jolly}Dave:
There is one called the 'Kashmiri Aroma' at Woodseats, Sheff. The grave yard story looks interesting :D

Hi {Clothy} Dave: :lol:

I have been in the Huddersfield one..

Marco
02-11-2013, 14:43
Every town seemed to have their own brewery. In Santa Barbara we went into the Santa Barbara Brewing Company bar and you could order a sampler tray to decide which one you liked best..

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c364/DaveBoden/SDC18551_zps52284b61.jpg (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/DaveBoden/media/SDC18551_zps52284b61.jpg.html)

Brilliant idea! The best pubs here, serving a variety of real ales, should adopt the policy immediately!! :clap:

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-11-2013, 14:56
They do Weatherspoons do just that ;)

Marco
02-11-2013, 15:25
Lol - not in the ones I've been to, dude. I'll take your word for it, though! :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-11-2013, 15:31
It's true you can sup a sample of any of the Real ales..

jollyfix
02-11-2013, 15:33
No wasn't in Woodside, this was about 18/19 yrs ago, so may not be there anymore. I think it was on Carlisle st. Rough place as i said more of a cafe in looks. The Graveyard thing, well i was working for a circus in sheffield at the time, they had taken over a church as a circus school. Anneka Rice and her tv show came and done the place up. I stayed in a caravan for a few months there. Now and again i would stay with my mate in Rotherham. We had a few gigs on Devonshire green, and at the launch/opening canal basin.

Rare Bird
02-11-2013, 15:43
Hi Dave
Thanks for that, i live in Rotherham :) They still do things on Devonshire Street green. That's were the pubs are i go, the other end of the road by the City hall.. I know Carlisle street, the 'Norfolk arms' pub.. Good bookshop on Devonshire St called 'Rare & Racey' been there since around 1969..

jollyfix
02-11-2013, 15:50
I seem to remember the small pub across the road from the indian place was called 'The East house', we would have a few in there, then take a pint to the indian ( they didn't serve booze), you could keep popping back and forth, as long as you returned your pint glass at the end of the night.

Rare Bird
02-11-2013, 16:10
http://www.flickr.com/photos/evissa/139944736/

jollyfix
02-11-2013, 16:17
Yep thats the place, nice one Andre.

The Grand Wazoo
02-11-2013, 17:46
The biggest choice of beer anywhere I've ever been was in the US - The Beartooth Cafe (http://www.beartoothcafe.com/home.html) in Cooke City, Montana. I recommend the Big Sky Moose Drool!
I had two of the best 'ordinary' (ie not pretending to be fine dining) meals I've ever eaten in the States there too.

Here's the beer list:

MONTANA BREWS

BELGRADE
Big Hole Diablo
Big Hole Headstrong
Big Hole Mythical White
Big Hole Wisdom Amber
Salmon Fly Honey Rye
Hopper Pale Ale
Copper John Scottish
Irresistible Amber
Yellow Humpy Heff

MARION
Lang Tri motor Amber
Lang Skydiver Blond
Lang Huckleberry Honey
Lang Mandarin Heff
Lang Cherry Porter
BILLINGS
Black Widow Stout
Grizzly Wulff Wheat
Wild Fly Ale

MISSOULA
Big Sky Moose Drool
Big Sky Scapegoat
Big Sky Honey Wheat
Big Sky IPA
Big Sky Trout Slayer
Bayern Amber
Bayern Pilsner
Bayern Dancing Trout

RED LODGE
Red Lodge Glacier
Red Lodge Wiessen
Beartooth Pale Ale

MICRO BREWS

ALASKA
Alaskan Amber
Alaskan Summer
Alaskan IPA

CALIFORNIA
Anchor Steam
Black Dog Honey Raz
Sierra Nevada Pale

COLORADO
Fat Tire
Skinny Dip

HAWAII
Kona Firerock
Kona Longboard

MASSACHUSETTS
Sam Adams Lager

OREGON
Bridgeport Blue Heron
Pete’s Wicked Ale
Pete’s Strawberry Blond
Full Sail Amber
Deschutes Black Butte
Deschutes Mirror Pond
Deschutes Obsidian
Pyramid Apricot
Rogue Mocha Porter
Rogue Dead Guy
Rogue Shakespeare
Rogue Yellowstone
Rogue Hazelnut Brown
Rogue Chocolate Stout
Widmer Hefeweizen

PENNSYLVANIA
Rolling Rock

WASHINGTON
Pike’s Kilt Lifter
Red Hook ESB

WYOMING
Snake River Pale
Snake River Lager
Snake River Zonker
Snake River OB-1
GTB Sweetgrass IPA
GTB Teton Amber
GTB Old Faithful
GTB Bitch Creek
GTB Au Natural

WISCONSIN
Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy

IMPORTS

AUSTRALIA
Foster Lager (oil can)

BELGIUM
Chimay Grand Reserve
Lindeman’s Peach
Lindeman’s Framboise

CANADA
Moose head
Kokanee
Labatt’s Blue
Molson Golden
Blue Moon Belg. White

CZECH REPUBLIC
Pilsner Urquell

ENGLAND
Sam Smith Imperial St
Sam Smith Oatmeal St
Sam Smith Nut Brown
Sam Smith Taddy Porter
Bass
Newcastle Brown Ale
Boddingtons Pub

FRANCE
Fisher Amber

NEW ZEALAND
Steinlager

JAMAICA
Red Stripe

GERMANY
Beck’s Dark
Beck’s
Franziskaner Dunkle
Franziskaner Hefeweizen
Paulaner Hefeweizen
Spaten Optimator
Spaten Premium
Warsteiner
St. Pauli Girl

HOLLAND
Grolsh Lager
Grolsh Amber
Amstel Light
Heineken

IRELAND
Murphy’s Irish Stout
Guinness Pub Draught
Harp Lager

MEXICO
Sol
Pacifico
Tecate
Corona
Dos Equis Amber
Dos Equis Lager
Negro Modelo

MEGA BREWS

Coors
Coors Light
Killian’s Red
Bud Light
Budweiser
Michelob Ultra Light
Michelob Amber Bock
Miller Highlife
Miller Lite
Miller Genuine Draft
Pabst Blue Ribbon
Rainier
Bacardi Mojito
Hornsby’s Draft Cider
Mike’s Crantini

NON ALCOHOLICS

O’Doul’s
Haake Beck
Clausthaler
Kaliber

jollyfix
02-11-2013, 18:02
Visited a bar on the basement floor of a car park in Memphis, not to far from the tourist hell of Beale st,it had over 120 ales on sale. i still have the list some place.

Barry
24-11-2013, 21:29
Been a while since “little ol’ wine drinker me” posted here. Well that’s because I’ve been away to “parts foreign” and had to make do with Chilean wine (this was no ordeal by any means, since as you know, the Chileans do know how to make a mean ‘slurp’).

Now I’m back and have been enjoying a bottle or two of: -

2008 Vieux Château Guibeau, Puisseguin Saint-Émilion

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/images/uk/en/law/product/63372b.jpg?type=Z022&imageType=largeImage&colour=Red

Merlot (75%), Cabernet Sauvignon (15%), Cabernet Franc (10%). 13% ABV

“Full of ripe fruit, velvet tannins and spicy oak from a year in cask, this Grand Cru style claret is ideal with beef.”

Laithwaites, £14 a bottle.

Expensive, but a bit of a “stonker”. Best before 2015.

Discovered in my local Co-op: -

2012 Comptesse Saint-Hilare, Montagne Saint-Émilion

(Sorry can’t find an image of the label)

Merlot grape (60%), Cabernet Sauvignon (20%), Cabernet Franc (20%) 13% ABV

“…blackcurrent and blueberry fruit flavours followed by a smooth rich finish.”

“This wine has a beautiful cherry colour with shiny hints. The nose is delicate with red fruit scents and slight liquorices notes. The mouth is unctuous, round with a fruity intensity. Serve with beef and game dishes; this is also an excellent partner to the festive cheeseboard.”

Can be drunk now, but will continue to improve for the next couple of years. Must be served at 18°C.

Enjoyed tonight with steak, mushroom and ale pie, boiled potatoes, carrots, purple sprouting broccoli, asparagus and peas.

On offer at £6.99, normally £11.99, so 1/3 off. A respectable ‘slurp’.

Richardl
27-11-2013, 19:21
Just opened a bottle of Lidl Cimarosa Chardonnay, really really nice.
A Australian wine with a really creamy/buttery taste, amazing since it was either £3.69 or £3.99, I've never tried Lidl for wine before, I'm going back to stock up tomorrow, they do a red version as well.
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-98B322CB-9341CB3E/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/3887.htm?action=showDetail&id=5104
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-13A99F67-E769F2E3/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/3887.htm?action=showDetail&id=5157

julesd68
29-11-2013, 20:34
Went down the local off-licence tonight to pick up an inexpensive bottle of wine. I've had some very nice modestly priced Pinots from there, so decided to take a chance on a bottle of 'Paparuda' Romanian Pinot Noir for all of £5.99.

The lady there said it was good and I have to agree - it is actually exceptional value. If it was from New Zealand it would be over 10 quid for sure. Not what you would call a complex wine, but immensely satisfying, made in a very modern style and just bursting with wonderfully ripe, smooth cherry flavours.

http://vinspireuk.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/paparuda-pinot-noir-from-adnams.jpg

The Barbarian
29-11-2013, 20:57
Usual £3.00 Red from Aldi, it dont touch the sides so no idea about taste really :eyebrows:

Marco
29-11-2013, 21:08
Great recco, Julian. I've always rated Romania as having the potential for producing some great wines. I'll see if I can purloin some for midweek slurping! :thumbsup:

Marco.

julesd68
29-11-2013, 21:46
Great recco, Julian. I've always rated Romania as having the potential for producing some great wines. I'll see if I can purloin some for midweek slurping! :thumbsup:

Marco.

Go for it Marco, you won't be dissapointed. And just in case you were wondering about what a Paparuda is, according to the label -

'The Paparuda is an ancient Romanian rain ritual performed either in the Spring or in times of severe drought. Wearing a grass of knitted vines, a dancing girl is accompanied through the village by singing, shouting locals intent on securing fertility for the season ahead ...' :eyebrows:

Sounds worth attending, with a few glasses of this to get you in the mood!

The Barbarian
29-11-2013, 21:51
Would you posh Wino's be prepared to drink home made wine?

:sofa:

Some of my best Projectile vomiting has been on DIY Wine loike.

:rfl:

Stratmangler
29-11-2013, 22:45
Currently slurping this, and very nice it is too...

http://darrellsteele.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/mcewans-champion22.jpg

It's currently on offer at your local Asda and Tesco stores @ £5.00 for 4 bottles.

The Barbarian
29-11-2013, 22:55
oo thats nice & strong..Not that the towd Barbarian needs to be any stronger...Towd Barbarian ploughs fields naked with ox on each shoulder with only a potatoe sack for discression.. :eyebrows:

The Barbarian
29-11-2013, 22:59
Ey up that's tramps juice innit?

Stratmangler
29-11-2013, 23:53
Ey up that's tramps juice innit?

Tramp's juice?
Probably not - it costs a bit more than cheapo Cider, although £5.00 per 2 litres brings it dangerously close to paraffin territory :eyebrows:
WRT tramps - I were in Rotherham yesterday and didn't look outta place, and that was after finding some lovely filth to roll about in (perks of the job, working on construction sites).

The Barbarian
29-11-2013, 23:56
Where abarts in Rotherham {The shite hole} were you? :eyebrows: Thank the lord i live on the outskirts where cows go Mooooooooooooooo

Stratmangler
30-11-2013, 00:01
Across the car park from Maplin and Morrisons.
Thankfully we managed to escape under darkness and return from whence we came :)

The Barbarian
30-11-2013, 00:03
O retail world {Hell}

Stratmangler
30-11-2013, 00:05
Slurping some o' this now ...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vTnoeMChUZ4/TNyyFxp1c9I/AAAAAAAADr4/0LVZuxm1j7o/s1600/Bishops+Finger+by+the+pint.jpg

loo
30-11-2013, 00:09
And still able to type you Lancashire types must have strong constitutions:eyebrows:
enjoy
Paul

The Grand Wazoo
30-11-2013, 00:14
Eek - that's unnatural Chris - an abomination, in fact.
What you have there is a southern pint with a northern head....yuk!

The Barbarian
30-11-2013, 00:15
Those Red rose dudes aint a patch on use White rose guys :eyebrows:

loo
30-11-2013, 00:19
Those Red rose dudes aint a patch on use White rose guys :eyebrows:
cause not their beer comes from cows
Boddingtons Anyone:drinking:

Stratmangler
30-11-2013, 00:22
Good ale is good ale, Chris.
I don't care where it's brewed.

I was down in Kent during the Summer, and Shepherd Neame ale went down rather well.
I'm particularly partial to their IPA ...

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj547/nozza29/Beer%20OClock%20Australia/ShepherdNeameIPA_zps88310302.jpg

Stratmangler
30-11-2013, 00:25
cause not their beer comes from cows
Boddingtons Anyone:drinking:

Haven't had any Boddies since they pulled the brewery down.
It's not the same as it used to be - the original brewery next to The Strangeways Hotel had their own well, and the water from that well is not used in the brewing process now :(

loo
30-11-2013, 00:47
Haven't had any Boddies since they pulled the brewery down.
It's not the same as it used to be - the original brewery next to The Strangeways Hotel had their own well, and the water from that well is not used in the brewing process now :(
that's tragic I have to admit I used to love a pint of Boddies necter
I never understood the beehive logo and the cream of Manchester tag though ,do honey and cream go together:scratch:
Paul

synsei
30-11-2013, 00:58
I'm quite partial to a bottle or two of Shepherd Neame's Spitfire Ale myself but then I am a Kentish Man and common as muck. I have also been known to sup of the Bishops Finger... :lol:

http://www.ocado.com/catalog/images-hires/32729011_H.jpg?identifier=9b6872ca1d80024637e967d1 066bba0a

Barry
07-12-2013, 17:50
2012 Ogier Côtes du Rhône Réserve

http://images.vivino.com/thumbs/00gql3s3fmeba_150x150.jpg

Grenach, Mourvèdre and Syrah grape. 13.5% ABV

“ …strong deep colour with an intense bouquet of red berry fruits and underlying notes of spice. It is well balanced and fresh with a soft supple palate and elegant finish.”

Normally £6.99, but on offer at £5.99 from the Co-op.

Barry
16-12-2013, 15:36
2008 Les Caves de la Colombe, Nuits-Saint George, Burgundy

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks-and-Spencer-Nuits-Saint-Georges-2008/dp/B00FCXMTFO

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31HN44Z1LuL._SX85_SH10_QL100_.jpg

Pinot Noir grape, 13.5% ABV

It’s been a long time since I enjoyed a Nuits-Saint George burgundy. Bought for a double celebration: posting my 7,500th post here on AoS, and, more importantly, to celebrate my birthday. :)

Not cheap at £32 a bottle, but who cares? – it’s Christmas!

Marco
16-12-2013, 15:50
Enjoy, Barry - I'm sure that it'll be scrummy! Oh, and most importantly, :birthday:

:mex: :champagne:

Have a nice one, dude! :cool:

Marco.

Barry
16-12-2013, 16:05
Thanks Marco.

(Actually my birthday is tomorrow - but I may open the bottle for tonight's dinner!)

The Barbarian
16-12-2013, 16:08
Had a good session on this at the weekend :santa:

http://www.wharfebankbrewery.co.uk/our-beers/beer/celtic-glory/

Alex_UK
13-01-2014, 17:22
Nothing to recommend - but you never know when you might need this trick... :)

u1wROm-OF9w

The Grand Wazoo
13-01-2014, 19:18
I think it's been laced with something..................(sorry)

Alex_UK
13-01-2014, 20:10
Soft on the tongue?

Marco
14-01-2014, 18:56
Perhaps a 'cheesy nose' with a salty aftertaste? :D

Marco.

John
14-01-2014, 20:24
Drinking some Rochefort 8

Barry
16-01-2014, 15:56
In a vain attempt to get this thread back on track, and seeing there has been little interest of late with the wine recommendations, I’ll turn to some bottled ales (500ml size), currently on offer at the Co-op. Any three for £5.

Marston’s ‘Pedigree’ (4.5% ABV), Fuller’s ‘London Pride’ (4.7% ABV) and Morland's 'Old Speckled Hen' (5.2% ABV)

http://dqdqvfk41fkzb.cloudfront.net/INTERSHOP/static/WFS/Majestic-uk-Site/-/Majestic/en_GB/p/28543_p.jpg http://www.fullers.co.uk/master/content/images/1/1/819/4023.jpg http://www.bierclub.net/bilder_bier/vorschau/125px/1080_2006-02-09_Morland_Old_Speckled_Hen.jpg

There are some other bottled beers included in the “3 for £5” offer, such as Green King ‘Abbot’, but the three brews cited above are my favourites.

RobbieGong
18-01-2014, 17:10
I absolutely love this drink as a treat for myself and was wondering if anyone else had this as a favourite tipple?
I tend to go for Jacobs Creek Sparkling Shiraz (£10.00 approx) as it's one of the easier sparkling Shiraz's to get hold of and not bad value. Banrock Station once did a really nice one that people raved about but it is not imported anymore. There's also Majella Sparkling Shiraz which I've never tasted ( a bit pricey at £27.99 :eek: ) must be good ! ;)

dave2010
20-01-2014, 11:52
Harviestoun Old Engine Oil - porter is pleasant on some occasions - though not for everyday - http://harviestoun.com/our-beers/old-engine-oil?gclid=CMCEhbbXjLwCFYUIwwodpCAATA

Recommended.

http://weber.fi.eu.org/blog/images/Old_Engine_Oil.jpg

Barry
31-01-2014, 17:49
Some wines enjoyed in the last month or so.

Since I tend to buy a few bottles of each Châteaux (especially the 2009 Bordeaux), I may have mentioned some of these wines before in previous posts. If I have, then I apologise.

2009 Château Cerestin La Lande, Médoc
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/images/uk/en/law/product/62665.png?type=Z022&imageType=largeImage&colour=Red

“Beautiful claret from Bordeaux's impeccable 2009 vintage. A wine to decant and enjoy in fine style”

60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot. 14% ABV.

2009 Château Roc De Minville, Bordeaux
http://www.sundaytimeswineclub.co.uk/images/uk/en/law/product/62828.png?type=Z022&imageType=largeImage&colour=Red

Gold Medal Winner Concours Général Agricole, Paris 2010.

70% Merlot and 30% Cabernet Franc. 14% ABV

2009 Le Grand Chai, Bordeaux
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/images/uk/en/law/product/62820.png?type=Z022&imageType=largeImage&colour=Red

14% ABV Around £10 a bottle.

2006 Château Bellvue Chollet, Bordeaux
http://www.bawineclub.co.uk/images/products/61249b.jpg

Gold Medal Winner, Concours De Bordeaux Vins D’Aquitane 2007. Bottle No.3/486909

Merlot grape 12.5% ABV About £10 a bottle

The 2010 vintage was also awarded a Gold Medal at the 2011 Concours De Bordeaux Vins D’Aquitaine.

2010 Château Rollin, Haut-Médoc
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/images/uk/en/law/product/63185.png?type=Z022&imageType=largeImage&colour=Red

50% Merlot, 455 Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Petit Verdot. 13.5% ABV

2010 was a good year for Château Rollin.

And last but by no means least

2009 Château Chapelle Labory Fronsac, Bordeaux
http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/images/uk/en/law/product/63199b.jpg?type=Z022&imageType=largeImage&colour=Red

“A very fine vintage Fronsac, a Bordeaux Right Bank claret once more highly regarded than Pomerol.”

90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc. 14.5% ABV. £12.99 a bottle

“Great claret is seldom as beautifully balanced and ripe as it is in the splendid 2009 vintage and you'll find Château Chapelle Labory utterly irresistible.Just west of Pomerol on the Dordogne, Fronsac lies on the same limestone base as Saint Emilion, ideal for Merlot and Cabernet Franc. There was a time when Fronsac wines were enjoyed by French royalty, though its prominence was surpassed by Pomerol in the second half of the 20th century. Fronsac has been fighting back hard and investment has paid off in fatter, plumper wines with wide appeal.Oenologist Stéphane Toutoundji's Chapelle Labory claret is supple and seductive with a rounded, plummy profile and complex damson and liquorice aromas. Decant and serve with roast beef or lamb.”

Absolutely superb! I’ve half a mind to buy a case – simply wonderful!

The Barbarian
31-01-2014, 18:58
The old Barbarian don't drink anymore, been tea total for around 4/5 weeks now..

Marco
31-01-2014, 19:06
Aye, we'll see how long that lasts for, shweety..........

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/585/l2a6.jpg

Pished again (thank fook), as this 'do' is more boring than the music tastes of AoS tossers.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/560/jsrr.jpg

Oi, wanka, don't even think about nicking me ale!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/827/2nf5.jpg

Sup, sup, shlurp... Mmm, yum!

Little ol' beer drinker me! :cool: :barrel: :drunk: :drunk: :comatose:

:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Marco.

walpurgis
31-01-2014, 19:15
The old Barbarian don't drink anymore, been tea total for around 4/5 weeks now..

That sounds like a 'New Year's Resolution' Andr'e. Never mind, I shall drink to your health later tonight! Cheers. :cool:

The Barbarian
31-01-2014, 22:29

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/585/l2a6.jpg

Pished again (thank fook), as this 'do' is more boring than the music tastes of AoS tossers.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/560/jsrr.jpg

Oi, wanka, don't even think about nicking me ale!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/827/2nf5.jpg

Sup, sup, shlurp... Mmm, yum!

Little ol' beer drinker me! :cool: :barrel: :drunk: :drunk: :comatose:

:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Marco.

Sex god in action :eyebrows:

Aye Geoff it was.. Making a lot of changes..

walpurgis
31-01-2014, 23:24
Aye Geoff it was.. Making a lot of changes..

Well I just had a pint on your behalf Andr'e. Cheers! ;)

The Grand Wazoo
01-02-2014, 12:46
Here's one piece of Quad equipment (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Quad-Wine-care-set-in-presentation-box-/121263580097?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item1c3bdf63c1) that you probably don't, but ought to, own Barry!

Barry
17-02-2014, 16:54
My local Co-op seems to be having a reorganisation of its wine stock, so there are a couple of interesting wines on offer at the moment.

The first is one of my favourites: the 2007 Château Le Boscq, Saint-Estèphe. 12.5% ABV. Was £19.99, now £15.27.

The second is a decent 2008 Barolo, 14.5% ABV. Was £18.99, now £12.01.

Well that’s the good news, the bad news is the 2009 Château Chapelle Labory Fronsac, Merlot 14.5% ABV I reported favourably, is no longer available. Bit of a bugger – as I was going to order a case!

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/images/uk/en/law/product/63199.png?type=Z022&imageType=smallImage&colour=Red

Marco
17-02-2014, 17:01
Nice one, Barry. I'll have to check out the selection at my local branch. The Co-op have always had some interesting wines, IME... A much underrated store, on all levels, in my opinion! They stock some quality stuff :)

Marco.

loo
17-02-2014, 17:03
Nice one, Barry. I'll have to check out the selection at my local branch. The Co-op have always had some interesting wines, IME... A much underrated store, on all levels, in my opinion! They stock some quality stuff :)

Marco.
+1
I absolutely love the co-op, they are a cut above the big boys local jobbies
Paul

Yomanze
17-02-2014, 19:23
On an aside the Co-op steaks are exceptional at the moment.

Barry
28-02-2014, 18:28
End of an era :(

With great sadness I bought up the last few remaining bottles of the 2007 Chateau Le Boscq, a Saint Estèphe from my local Co-op. It has been stocked for the last three years or so, but the Co-op have now ‘reorganised’ their wine stock and so is now no longer available.

http://www.edencroft.co.uk/media/02/a20791a143023c18aaff56_m.png

Not cheap at ~ £20 a bottle; which is probably why it didn’t sell and the reason the Co-op have decided to drop it. This is a great shame, as it had become a firm favourite of mine. Still available from: http://www.greatwesternwine.co.uk/chateau-le-boscq.html or http://www.edencroft.co.uk/servlet/the-790/Chateau-Le-Boscq--dsh-/Detail, but at £33 a bottle I can’t see me buying many! :(

I also picked up the last of the 2008 Conte dell ‘Unitá Barolo for about ~ £12

Can’t find too much about this vintage, but the 2006 was a silver medal winner: http://www.decanter.com/dwwa/2012/wine/conte-dell-unita-2006/9108.

The Co-op also has an Amarone on offer. Will provide more information when I next visit.

Barry
04-03-2014, 19:08
Futher to my last post, I'm pleased to say the Co-op are clearing out their remaining stock of Chateau Le Boscq. A mixture of the 2006 and 2007 vintage, the Co-op are selling this off at £7 a bottle. They normally sell it at £25 a bottle!

Hurry! This is your last chance to sample this lovely Saint-Estéphe - I bought up the entire stock from my local branch. :eyebrows:

Tim
04-03-2014, 19:11
I bought one of these today Barry and must admit to being a little sceptical, but by jove it really works and has improved the Malbec I am drinking :)
Thanks for the tip below too.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51h5bAsEQpL._SY450_.jpg

Wine aerator.

The Barbarian
21-03-2014, 23:51

Still on the Wagon buddy..

Marco
22-03-2014, 09:18
Lol.. I'm off all forms of alcohol for Lent. Two weeks gone now without a drop, only another four to go! :)

Marco.

CageyH
22-03-2014, 09:44
Just to give you guys an idea of the price of the older years - http://www.millesima.fr/producteur-chateau-le-boscq.html?gclid=COTggYDtpb0CFWLHtAodjisAeA

£7 a bottle is a bargain, so if you like Bordeaux type wines - grab as much as you can!

keiths
12-04-2014, 22:29
Westmalle Dubbel (7% abv)

http://www.simister.com/public/westmalle.jpg

Delicious, well-balanced Trappist ale brewed within the walls of Westmalle Abbey near Antwerp , Belgium. Highly recommended.

keiths
12-04-2014, 22:49
St. Stefanus Blonde(7% abv)

http://www.simister.com/public/stef.jpg

Terrifically complex top-fermented Belgium blonde ale brewed at the Sint Stefanus monastery in Ghent. Each bottle is marked with its cellar release date (this one July 2012) as the beer changes character from 3 months (the youngest beer released from the Abbey) to its 2 year shelf life. The beer can be poured clear, or the yeast sediment can be 'swirled' into the glass too for a stronger and more complex flavour. I'm a 'yeast in' man myself... One to sip! :cool:

walpurgis
12-04-2014, 23:11
Simpler to stick with a can of Fosters.

Marco
12-04-2014, 23:14
Lol - heathen! Nice one, Keith. If you have one too many of those does it make you feel like a 'fannus'? :eyebrows:

Marco.

keiths
12-04-2014, 23:19

Fosters?!?!

Isn't that like sex in a canoe - fucking close to water?

Andrei
13-04-2014, 00:34
Peasant

walpurgis
13-04-2014, 08:36
Fosters is the good stuff. Tesco cheapo is the norm!

Roy S
24-04-2014, 21:44
£3.99 a bottle in Aldis, delicious :cocktail:

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/Lodger56/cdr_zpsdd5a86bb.jpg

julesd68
25-04-2014, 09:41
Can anyone give me a few white wine recommendations for Aldis?

My mum has a local branch in Manchester and I'd like to pass on a few tips. When I was up there recently we got a £3.99 Pinot Grigio but were left wishing we'd spent a bit more. There must be some better options ...