PDA

View Full Version : Bent stylus?

HighFidelityGuy
08-01-2010, 20:14
Hi,

I recently purchased a cartridge on ebay and it arrived today. When checking it over I noticed the stylus looks a little bit bent over to one side. The picture the seller posted on ebay shows this but I didn't notice until today. :doh:

Anyway, here's the photo:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/DTM2000/Hi-Fi/Turntable/stylus.jpg

Does this look knackered or is it common for a stylus to be a bit wonky? :hmm:

Cheers. :)

Dave Cawley
08-01-2010, 20:17
Was it new?

Dave

HighFidelityGuy
08-01-2010, 20:24
No it was listed used but in very good condition. It came with the headshell and it all looks very clean and un-abused.

hifi_dave
08-01-2010, 21:06
Depends if the cantilever is bent or straight but skewed to one side.

If it's bent, it's no good and may damage your records. If it's straight but leaning to one side, it should play OK and be just fine.

HighFidelityGuy
08-01-2010, 21:13
Hmm, how do I work out which of those is which?

Thanks.

DSJR
08-01-2010, 21:51
Not uncommon in Shures of old FROM NEW and I have a worn AT120E that came to me with this problem (kerbed cantilever in this case as the "V" magnets were symmetrical with the pole pieces).

AS it was pictured this way I doubt you'd get a refund, but new styli aren't too dear (ask Dave Cawley if he can do you a deal) and I also believe the body to be identical to the AT440 series, so you may have an upgrade path there too....

HighFidelityGuy
08-01-2010, 22:02
Wow, all Dave's here. :lolsign:

Ok thanks, I'll not worry too much then. It's all part of the ebay gamble. I still managed to get the cartridge and headshell for less than a new cartridge, so I've not done too bad. I'll check it out very carefully when I fit it to my TT to make sure the stylus is straight and level in the groove. If it looks like the cantilever is going to foul on the vinyl then I'll not use it and get it re-tipped or whatever the correct term is.

DSJR
08-01-2010, 22:07
P.S. I've seen new AT manufactured Linn K9's with twisted cantilevers throughing the V magnets out of kilter - and as for collapsing K18 mk1's the least said the better................

AT are a good company though and the 120e and 440MLa are excellent for their type IMO.

Haselsh1
08-01-2010, 22:21
By bent, do you mean gay...???

Dave Cawley
08-01-2010, 22:24
I think it's OK then. Just live with it, it's a cheap cartridge anyway.

Dave

HighFidelityGuy
08-01-2010, 22:30
By bent, do you mean gay...???

By gay, do yo mean happy? If so I'll have to ask it. ;)

I think it's OK then. Just live with it, it's a cheap cartridge anyway.

Dave

Ok, thanks. I'll progress with caution. Out of interest Dave C, how much would you charge to fit a new stylus? Oh and is it possible to get a higher end stylus fitted as one of the other Daves mentioned?

Dave Cawley
08-01-2010, 22:34
I wouldn't fit a new stylus, it's only about £58 (AOS price) for a brand new cartridge.

Dave

HighFidelityGuy
08-01-2010, 23:01
Fair enough, I'll see how it goes. As long as it works and doesn't wreck discs it'll do for now so I can get my TT and phono stage up and running.