PDA

View Full Version : Turntable feet

MarginWalker
27-03-2017, 12:21
I have just picked up a new solid wood plinth for my Thorens Td160 and it doesn't have any feet. Does anyone have any recommendations? Would I be best going with rubber feet or trying spikes? The TT is already on a wall shelf so there are no issues with vibrations from footfall affecting it.

Thanks
Phil

struth
27-03-2017, 12:25
Best i used were the magnetically levitating ones. Expensive though.

MarginWalker
27-03-2017, 12:41
They sound a bit out of my price range, Grant. looking at around £40 max.

Audio Al
27-03-2017, 12:49
2 squash balls cut in half ;)

You have a choice of soft medium or hard

Ammonite Audio
27-03-2017, 13:24
You already have suspension within the deck, so there's nothing to be gained from using anything soft or springy between the deck and shelf; indeed introducing a second mass-spring system will only result in problems, not improvements. Provided that the deck's suspension is properly set up, then hard rubber or plastic feet will do nicely.

I have just picked up a new solid wood plinth for my Thorens Td160 and it doesn't have any feet. Does anyone have any recommendations? Would I be best going with rubber feet or trying spikes? The TT is already on a wall shelf so there are no issues with vibrations from footfall affecting it.

Thanks
Phil

MarginWalker
27-03-2017, 18:29
Thanks Hugo, so just the standard black rubber feet that are made for cabinets etc would do the job as well as anything specifically audio?

Ammonite Audio
27-03-2017, 18:48
Yes, assuming that your deck's suspension is set up properly, and that everything is level, those would do fine. If your deck had been a solid, unsuspended type, things would be very different and there would definitely have been a case for introducing some proper isolation between it and the wall shelf; and that is a topic for a different thread.