PDA

View Full Version : Ed China leaves Wheeler Dealers. Sad Day

Macca
26-03-2017, 10:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=8IB15T1LYiY

Been a fan of this show since it started in 2003. Everyone's been complaining for a while that there is not as much proper workshop footage as they used to be. Turns out that since the Yanks bought it they have found it 'too difficult and too expensive' (WTF?) to film these sections so they have dropped them and as a result Ed is off.

Since that aspect is what made the show so popular to begin with you have to wonder about the mentality.

walpurgis
26-03-2017, 10:50
That's a shame.

I like Ed China, he is quite charismatic and comes across as very genuine, even if some of his repairs in earlier shows were a bit of a bodge. I wish him luck and look forward to seeing what he gets involved with.

As for Mike Brewer. Nothing against him, but he's a typical 'Jack the Lad' car dealer type. He doesn't know that much about cars either judging from some of the rubbish he's come out with.

I'll be surprised if the next series of Wheeler Dealers without Ed is as successful as previous ones. Look what happened to Top Gear!

Macca
26-03-2017, 11:06
Ed and Mike made a good contrast, I thought.

I watched the 'faux' Top Gear last Sunday. There is just no life in it at all now. The presenters are just going through the motions, like it is just another gig to them. With the previous trio you got the impression they were doing it mainly because they enjoyed doing it.

User211
26-03-2017, 12:56
Bitchin' Rides is my current fave.

But honestly no Ed in Wheeler Dealers? Sad. Very sad.

narabdela
26-03-2017, 17:40
Stopped watching it when they started skipping over the complicated workshop stuff. It just wasn't believable anymore.

blackstar
26-03-2017, 17:48
The British market isn't the moneymaker for WD any more. I reckon the Yanks must love the Brewer touch more than China's input. Ant Antstead is the new Edd so he must suit their requirements, which probably means less spanner time band, more theatrical effect.

fatreg
08-04-2017, 15:03
WD is sadly owned by Discovery networks which air things like Fast N Loud and Misfit Garage, both are aimed purely at the profit a car can make, for me the best car show on TV atm is either For The Love Of Cars or Car SOS, I learnt a lot about cars from Edd and will be sure to track down whatever he does next for cars.

I welcome the announcement of Ant Antstead to WD, I think he could add something to it, he's not nearly as camera shy as Edd was though, Edd was/is a proper mech that with his mate Mike were approached by Attaboy TV to make a show, roll on some years Discovery see a way to maximise revenue and ship production to the US where the DIYer is forgotten about and it's all about cash.

Cash is king and always will be (sadly)

walpurgis
08-04-2017, 15:17
American programme makers cater to people with 30 second attention spans, so any depth goes out of the window. Also, have you noticed how they reprise any main points continually, especially after commercial breaks. They must regard audiences as really thick. Perhaps they are right.

Macca
08-04-2017, 17:45
American programme makers cater to people with 30 second attention spans, so any depth goes out of the window. Also, have you noticed how they reprise any main points continually, especially after commercial breaks. They must regard audiences as really thick. Perhaps they are right.

I thought they did that to capture viewers who have just tuned in after the break?

It is annoying though. Format is now:

Show clips of everything that happens in the episode, then a couple of minutes of actual programme, then show you what is going to happen after the commercial break. Then the break. Then remind you of what happened before the break. A couple more minutes of actual programme. Then show you what will happen after the next break. And so on.

Even the BBC do this now even though there are no breaks on the BBC, presumably so they can sell it to commercial networks abroad.

walpurgis
08-04-2017, 17:47
That reinforces my point. You have to be dense not to be able to retain the context of a programme.

Macca
08-04-2017, 17:53
The reminders are for people who just tuned in. The look ahead is to convince people they need to keep watching after the break.

If you want to judge how thick the average audience are the content is still the best indicator.

In any case anyone with half a brain tapes the shows they like and fast-forwards through all the ads and the pap. That way you can watch a show that has an hour slot in 30 minutes.

walpurgis
08-04-2017, 17:56
If you want to judge how thick the average audience are the content is still the best indicator.

Ah. That would be those who avidly watch the grotesque rubbish presented by Jeremy Kyle.

Macca
08-04-2017, 18:34
Of course your real brainboxes don't even own televisions, let alone watch them.

Canetoad
09-04-2017, 16:37
Watching television live would kill me!:eek:

Macca
09-04-2017, 20:49
Aye my father used to irritate me and my brothers by changing channel to the BBC during the adverts. When we complained he would say he couldn't stand to watch them. We had no idea what he meant - at the time.

cuddles
09-04-2017, 21:20
Could you remind me of the points that have been made on this topic? Then tell me what you aim to explain later on, especially as there is a time limit where there can only be another day to finish the thread.

Macca
09-04-2017, 21:29
LOL

Macca
09-04-2017, 21:32
We could also have a 'phone-in competition at the end: 'The lines are all now closed but if you do call you may still be charged' (My second favourite disclaimer ever)

Beobloke
11-04-2017, 11:50
The real reason Edd China is no longer with the programme can be found here: http://sniffpetrol.com/2017/03/22/edd-china-reveals-real-reason-for-wheeler-dealers-departure/#.WOzCzrjTW70

Macca
11-04-2017, 11:57
'For 14 years Edd hasn’t followed anything that’s come out of Mike’s mouth,’ said a source close to the 7’8” gloves wearer. ‘He’s basically spent the last 13 series’ just smiling and nodding, and then fitting some new wheels and hoping that’s okay.’

Funny

struth
11-04-2017, 12:23
Never heard of him