PDA

View Full Version : Peter Belt

Floyddroid
18-03-2017, 20:26
Rip Peter Belt. Inventor of snake oil for audio applications. He may well be put between the books in his book case to improve standing waves for audio enthusiasts in years to come.

Barry
19-03-2017, 00:48
Peter Belt's idiosyncratic and easily ridiculed ideas and products were such that the whole discipline is now often called 'Beltism' and regarded as synonymous with 'foo' and 'snake oil', but there were a few well-regarded audio reviewers who embraced and promoted his products.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/peter-belt-1930-2017#khXgqMJscCPp0D7e.97 .

But it wasn't always like that - PWB used to market a very good set of isodynamic headphones.

RIP Peter

Macca
19-03-2017, 01:06
Beltism was all the rage when I first started in the hobby and started buying hi-fi magazines. Wondered what the hell I had got myself into.

I tried the square of paper under a foot of the turntable, was seriously hoping for wonders as I was skint and it was a free upgrade. Except it wasn't. So much for placebo and expectation bias. Never tried the safety pins as that would cost money.

But I am rambling - RIP Mr Belt.

Haselsh1
19-03-2017, 07:47
Myself and a few friends tried out his graphite foils on some CD's and clearly heard a difference... or did we...?

I also had a pair of PWB electrostatic headphones back around 1979. Stunning sound quality.

Sherwood
19-03-2017, 08:04
I listened to my hifi when Mr Belt was present and again after his departure. The difference is quite remarkable! :scratch:

narabdela
19-03-2017, 08:33
Early on in his career he did produce some excellent audio products, but than he lost the plot and wandered into La-La Land.

"One of PWB Electronics' most recent accessories is a Morphic Link Magnetic Bookmark priced at £10, intended to be placed in the user's dictionary, adjacent to the word link."

Paul-H
19-03-2017, 08:59
Did he also give us the Audiophool ;)