PDA

View Full Version : New 'Classic Album' Royal Mail Stamps

Beechwoods
07-01-2010, 06:09
Since when has 'The Division Bell' been a 'Classic Album' - this is hilarious! Of all Pink Floyd's albums to pick this could only have been trumped by A Momentary Lapse in the absurdity stakes!

And they could have picked any of the releases from the 70's and got away with it* :doh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8444156.stm

* Except maybe Obscured By Clouds :)

Alex_UK
07-01-2010, 07:52
Indeed! And what about A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Coldplay - not a classic in my book, either. Something else beginning in "c" in my opinion... Still, at least there's no James Blunt ;)

REM
07-01-2010, 09:34
Since when has 'The Division Bell' been a 'Classic Album' - this is hilarious!

And they could have picked any of the releases from the 70's and got away with it* :doh:

* Except maybe Obscured By Clouds :)

Agreed re Division Bell but you clearly haven't listened to OBC closely enough to realise what a superb lp it is. The track 'Mudmen' alone has as much musical invention in its five minutes as the whole of the severely over-rated WYWH...good grief you'll be telling me that Echoes is the best track on Meddle next when everyone knows that Pillows on the Wind/Fearless are the pinnacle of their songwriting and prodction.

I know no one is ever going to agree a definitive list but Park Life? FFS:rolleyes:

Cheers

Beechwoods
07-01-2010, 09:40
You know Ralph, Obscured is one of my personal fave Floyd albums ('More' is my all-time favourite...) it just doesn't really score on the list of Floyd 'Classics' though - it's a lovely, free, example of Floyd enjoying writing and playing, and it's a great 'watershed' album in their pantheon, but it's not a Classic. Have you seen the film? It's well worth seeking out.

PS. San Tropez is the best track on Meddle!

DanJennings
07-01-2010, 10:03
I wouldn't really call 'Screamadelica' a classic either....

DanJennings
07-01-2010, 10:05
I know no one is ever going to agree a definitive list but Park Life?

I know! Parklife isn't even the second best Blur album, let alone a classic.
quite an iconic picture, but that wasn't the brief!

Beechwoods
07-01-2010, 10:29
quite an iconic picture, but that wasn't the brief!

Actually, I think it was, and why we ended up with Division Bell:

Julietta Edgar, Royal Mail's head of special stamps, said: "This issue celebrates this unique art form and some of its greatest examples."

Thousands of album covers from the past four decades were scrutinised before the final 10 were chosen.

The artwork, and not necessarily the music on the album, was at the forefront of the selectors' minds.

I'm guessing they thought DB was special because of the link to Ely Cathedral. It certainly wasn't because they'd listened to the album ;)

On their criteria though, Dark Side would have to have been the one.

DanJennings
07-01-2010, 10:41
well yeah, fair enough, but if you MUST pick a Blur album, I'dve had Modern Life Is Rubbish.... better album too!

and I would've thought Sgt Pepper would be there, or Nevermind, or Never Mind The Bollocks.... the list goes on

Beechwoods
07-01-2010, 10:44
I'd love to see the Royal Mail issuing stamps with 'Bollocks' emblazoned across them. Or maybe that one by Big Black :scratch: :lol:

DanJennings
07-01-2010, 10:46
Songs About Fucking? great album...

What about 'Origin Of The Faeces' by Type O Negative....
http://www.netexpress.net/~zombie/ton/feces.jpg

Beechwoods
07-01-2010, 10:48
:) Something like that... glad the picture's a bit indistinct!

DanJennings
07-01-2010, 10:49
or they could be ironic by using Andy Partridge's Fuzzy Warbles series 1-8
The covers were meant to look like collectable stamps, the bonus ninth disc was called hinges and resembled those sticky things.... and the whole thing later came in a big box that looked like a stamp collectors album

Beechwoods
07-01-2010, 10:53
I've got a few of those; well the first 4 or so. They are neat. I didn't realise they came in a cool box too!

Mike Reed
07-01-2010, 10:56
Yes, it does seem to be an odd choice. I take it that it's 'classic covers', not albums.

Sgt. Pepper is indeed conspicuous by its absence and reckoned to be pretty much an art form.

By the same token that the Royal Mail devalue G.B. philately by issuing pictorial issues ad nauseum, their selection process on this one is severely flawed.

How about an issue on classic amps? or turntables? or whatever hifi? This is not so far removed from record covers, suely. They wouldn't dare, though!

Whereas many audio enthusiasts are photographically inclined, I wonder how many have an interest in stamps.

REM
07-01-2010, 12:24
You know Ralph, Obscured is one of my personal fave Floyd albums ('More' is my all-time favourite...) it just doesn't really score on the list of Floyd 'Classics' though - it's a lovely, free, example of Floyd enjoying writing and playing, and it's a great 'watershed' album in their pantheon, but it's not a Classic. Have you seen the film? It's well worth seeking out.

PS. San Tropez is the best track on Meddle!

Glad we agree, it is a great album, yes the film is well worth seeing, I went for the soundtrack and got to see superb movie as a bonus.

Ok, San Tropez is a good track but for me Pillows/Fearless just 'do it', talking of PF music in movies don't forget 'Crystal Voyager', the best way to hear Echoes I'm sure you'll agree.

'More' is a brilliant album, very swinging 60s London, I can never really decide which is my fave PF album when you have 'AHM' and 'Ummagumma' fighting for attention as well I think you just have to pick the years '68 to '73 as an amazingly creative period.

DanJennings
07-01-2010, 16:22
I've got a few of those; well the first 4 or so. They are neat. I didn't realise they came in a cool box too!

I bought the first 6, and then there was an option to buy the box with just discs 7,8 and 9 in it.... I don't know if you can still do that though

Barry
07-01-2010, 18:07
I assume that the record sleeves were chosen as good examples of visual design, rather than commeting on the musical content.

I have an interest in record sleeve design and have four books on the subject.
I could come up with a dozen or so alternatives, but on the whole I don't think the Royal Mail have made a bad selection.

Regards