PDA

View Full Version : Which LP are you using for demoing your turntable?

magiccarpetride
16-03-2017, 21:55
Every now and then a friend drops by for a chat, and some of them get mighty interested in listening to my new turntable. I keep waffling between a few nice sounding LPs whenever I have to decide which one to put on to impress my friends.

Which LP in your collection is your 'go to' record when you wish to blow the socks off some unsuspecting listeners?

Bigman80
16-03-2017, 21:55
Sarah Jarosz - Undercurrent

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ian7633
16-03-2017, 22:11
Either Hanswoth Revolution by Steel Pulse or 1976 by Diana Ross

struth
16-03-2017, 22:21
Used to test my tt's with Crime of the century on speakers corner records, by supertramp. An awesome recording. Lately its been also The great summit on wax time, by Louis armstrong and duke ellington.

337alant
16-03-2017, 23:01
Vanessa Fernandez on groove note 2 x 45rpm

Hugh Masekela 2 x 45rpm - Hope (Stamila will blow their socks off :D)

Gregory Porter 33 on blue note- Liquid Spirit

The Genius of Coleman Hawkins ST-509 1958 on World Stereo.

Alan

Nickfna
16-03-2017, 23:55
+1 for handsworth revolution also forever changes and rhythm collision vol 2.

blackstar
17-03-2017, 06:04
Boring I know, but Love Over Gold - Dire Straits or Searching For The Young Soul Rebels - Dexys Midnight Rebels.

Firebottle
17-03-2017, 06:56
London Grammar, If You Wait 2x 45rpm.

+1 for the Hugh Masekela

CageyH
17-03-2017, 07:08
Yello - Touch (double vinyl)
Sting - Nothing like the sun (double vinyl)
Dire Straits - Communique
London Grammar - If you wait
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman/Crossroads

All are good quality recordings and show off the traits I enjoy about my system.

bob4333
17-03-2017, 07:23
Gary Moore - Friday on my Mind. 12" @ 45 rpm

Roger Waters - Amused to Death (Explosive Subtlety)

Cream - Live at the Royal Albert Hall (3 discs but it's all good)

Infinitely Baffled
17-03-2017, 10:01
Patricia Barber : "Modern Cool" on Premonition Records (esp. "Light my Fire and "Touch of Trash")
Paul Simon : "Hearts and "Bones" (try "Allergies" or "Rene and Georgette Magritte ... etc")
IB

Haselsh1
17-03-2017, 10:44
Mr Scruff 'Friendly Bacteria'

Audio Al
17-03-2017, 10:51
Millie Scott , Every little bit , 45rpm 12" single :)

dantheman91
17-03-2017, 12:09
Carole King - Tapestry
ELO - Out of the Blue
Pink Floyd - Dark side & wish you were here...

Chris
17-03-2017, 12:41
Not spectacular but so natural with Glyn Johns at the helm. Joan Armatrading - To the Limit or Show some Emotion.

blackstar
17-03-2017, 12:54
This is a good thread - more LPs to buy!

Hammer
17-03-2017, 13:18
Steve Earle. and the Del Mccoury Band. The Mountain
Los Lobos La Pistola Y El Corazon

stairpost
17-03-2017, 13:56
Dave Brubeck - Take five. (from an oldish best of)

Nirvana unplugged.

And for vocals it's usually Nick Drake Five leaves left.

perlogalism
17-03-2017, 14:08
+ 1 for Tracy Chapman (Mountains o' things is my track of choice)

Paul Simon: Rhythm of the Saints

Neneh Cherry: Homebrew

Annie Lennox: Diva

MoR and proud of it ;-)

bosa
17-03-2017, 14:53
Nils Lofgren: Acoustic live (200g)
Bettye Lavette: Thankful 'N'Thoughtful (2x45)
Any Gregory Porter

Infinitely Baffled
17-03-2017, 15:57
+ 1 for Tracy Chapman (Mountains o' things is my track of choice)

Paul Simon: Rhythm of the Saints

Neneh Cherry: Homebrew

Annie Lennox: Diva

MoR and proud of it ;-)

Nothing MOR about Paul Simon. Closest thing we have to a popular music genius!
IB

jollyfix
17-03-2017, 18:06
Labi Siffre - crying, laughing, loving, lying,
Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures,
Culture - Harder than the rest,
Steve Hillage - Green

to name but a few, all old ones..

M6NTL
17-03-2017, 22:40
12" White Label of PIL's Warrior!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macca
18-03-2017, 01:06
12" White Label of PIL's Warrior!

Cool. Best one yet.

JohnMcC
18-03-2017, 04:34
Paul Simon "Graceland". Such a clear, sharp record!
Vaughan Williams "London Symphony", LPO conducted by Sir Adrian Boult. Huge dynamic range from this analogue recording.

struth
18-03-2017, 09:39
Labi Siffre - crying, laughing, loving, lying,
Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures,
Culture - Harder than the rest,
Steve Hillage - Green

to name but a few, all old ones..

That sifre album is a good un. Not heard the vinyl yet.

karma67
18-03-2017, 09:45
i use a track from Flying Fish HDS 701 called, Sauerkraut and Solar Energy .you can read about the process here,
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_method_e.html
once i have that sounding nice i then use pink floyds the wall lp,side 1 and 3.

https://s26.postimg.org/elzl4iuyx/vta_rec.jpg

jollyfix
18-03-2017, 09:47
Good production , the vinyl sounds great. The track 'it must be love', i play loads. When it drops out to just uke,nice bass too
3324G5VhZ_s

struth
18-03-2017, 10:09
Good production , the vinyl sounds great. The track 'it must be love', i play loads. When it drops out to just uke,nice bass too
3324G5VhZ_s

Put the vinyl on my list :)

Clive197
18-03-2017, 10:50
The Dave Brubeck Quartet Live At Carnegie Hall.
Communique- Dire Straits.
Rattle That Lock - David Gilmore

RobbieGong
18-03-2017, 11:33
Dennis Brown - This Love of Mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArmCI3BbhNE
When I've set up right, horns blaze, all separated out and fill the room, Dennis's vocals have grit, texture, emotion and are lifelike.

Bob Marley & The Wailers - So Jah Seh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZwSJrk1YPo
Same as above - Horns blaze and fill the room, vocals and all individual instrumental parts are beautifully textured and separated out - fab' !! :)

Simon_LDT
18-03-2017, 12:51
I usually go for any of the following (and I use these to test my system if I've changed anything):

Mastodon - Blood Mountain (2x45, Chris Bellman cut)
Rush - Moving Pictures (Org UK double RL cut)
Marillion - Brave (recent reissue using original analogue master)
Pink Floyd - The Wall (recent 2016 Bernie Grundman cut)
Iron Maiden - Powerslave (Org UK, has big balls this one!)

Must say I have been massively impressed with all the Rush, Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd re-issues the past 2-3 years, all done by either Sean Magee or Bernie Grundman. I have a lot of original Maiden, Rush and a few of the PF and these come extremely close and some even better the originals to me. We need more done this way with attention and care.

johnB
18-03-2017, 17:36
Either Hanswoth Revolution by Steel Pulse or 1976 by Diana Ross

Just dug out Handsworth Revolution - haven't listened to it for years, it's nearly 40 years old! Sounds fantastic.

This is a good thread.

RichB
18-03-2017, 17:46
Supertramp - Breakfast in America

Steven Wilson - 4.5

The Prodigy - Experience

RichB
18-03-2017, 18:23
Kraftwerk - Computer World.

Should always sound crisp and 'snappy'

Jac Hawk
18-03-2017, 18:54
Galactic - Ya ka may
Dire Straits - Communiqué
Womac & Womac - Love Wars
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time out

shire
19-03-2017, 22:44
Two favorites to demo turntable
Muddy Waters, Mofi recording 'Folk Singer'
Jennifer Warnes 'Famous Blue Raincoat'

Reserve Laurie Anderson 'Mister Heartbreak'

montesquieu
20-03-2017, 00:06
Not many classical fans here then ...

L'Oiseau-Lyre recording by Joshua Rifkin of Bach Cantata BWV 106 'Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeite' - vocal clarity to die for
Valois recording by the Vegh Quartet of Beethoven String Quartet no 10 in E Flat Op74 - the opposite of beautiful just as Beethoven intended
L'Oiseau-Lyre recording of Dowland Second Booke of Songs 1600 by The Consort of Musicke - 'I saw my Lady Weep' is gobsmacking
Harmonia Mundi recording by Boston Museu Trio of the Buxtehude Op1 chamber sonatas - there in the room
EMI recording (the later stereo one) of Elisabet Scharzkopf (with Szell + Philarmonia Orchestra) singing Richard Strauss's Four Last Songs - nothing more needs to be said about this recording

petrat
20-03-2017, 08:25
Solid Air - John Martyn
Graceland - Paul Simon
Nightclubbing - Grace Jones
As Falls Wichita - Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays
The Last Ship - Sting
Aerial Boundaries - Michael Hedges

... or, if I want to cheat ..

The Great Prestige Recordings - Miles Davis Quintet, 45rpm box-set
Any of the recent Peter Gabriel 45rpm re-releases

martinjohn308
20-03-2017, 09:25
Love - Forever Changes

Such a difficult recording to sound right but such a beautiful LP absolutely stunning.

Regards,

Martin

moodybuilder
22-03-2017, 21:27
Miles Davis, Kind of blue, classic records
Muddy Waters, folk singer, classic records
Cowboy junkies, the trinity sessions, classic records
Antonin Dvorak, sextet in A major op.48, tacet records.
Jennifer warnes, famous blue raincoat, 45 rpm boxset

Simon_Nottingham
24-03-2017, 15:54
The Bongolian (eponymous first album or Bongos for Beatniks)

Simon_Nottingham
24-03-2017, 16:05
Love - Forever Changes

Such a difficult recording to sound right but such a beautiful LP absolutely stunning.

This is an absolute stunner of an album, sounds as fresh as anything I've heard - and it's 50 years old this year! To my mind it's up there with Pet Sounds, Rubber Soul and The Velvet Underground & Nico in terms of influence.

I've got a rather odd complete cover album by Occasionally David (https://www.normanrecords.com/records/160214-occasionally-david-forever-changes) that's really quite wonderful!

Oddball
24-03-2017, 16:41
Genesis usually - Selling England By The Pound or Nursery Cryme

alphaGT
24-03-2017, 18:21
It depends on who I'm trying to impress. For the rock fan, probably

"Heart - Dreamboat Anne", I'm not sure this is the original pressing. It appears fairly new.

And for the aficionado,

"Al Dimeola - Elegant Gypsy" original pressing.

Ask me again next week and it might be different.

magiccarpetride
24-03-2017, 21:23
It depends on who I'm trying to impress. For the rock fan, probably

"Heart - Dreamboat Anne", I'm not sure this is the original pressing. It appears fairly new.

And for the aficionado,

"Al Dimeola - Elegant Gypsy" original pressing.

Ask me again next week and it might be different.

What is it in "Elegant Gypsy" that can showcase your turntable?

alphaGT
24-03-2017, 22:19
What is it in "Elegant Gypsy" that can showcase your turntable?

Side two starts with, "Race with the Devil", that has some fantastic guitar playing, and the song is just full of percussive and other instruments that fill a very definite sonic space. The way your table can keep all of this busy stuff apart, to allow you to hear all of the minute details, plus it's just an excellent recording. It has that "in the room" feel to it with Al's guitar. All through side two, ending with Elegant Gypsy is full of excellent guitar work, if you're into that sort of thing. In fact, I think I'll play it right now!

alphaGT
24-03-2017, 22:21
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/21d1cc416d57e46e9305e2ce35766c5c.jpg

alphaGT
24-03-2017, 22:22
When I'm trying to make comparisons, a favorite standby is Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. Because everyone has heard it a million times, and makes it a good reference.

magiccarpetride
24-03-2017, 22:26
Side two starts with, "Race with the Devil", that has some fantastic guitar playing, and the song is just full of percussive and other instruments that fill a very definite sonic space. The way your table can keep all of this busy stuff apart, to allow you to hear all of the minute details, plus it's just an excellent recording. It has that "in the room" feel to it with Al's guitar. All through side two, ending with Elegant Gypsy is full of excellent guitar work, if you're into that sort of thing. In fact, I think I'll play it right now!

Thanks, you've whetted my appetite as well. I don't think I have that LP (I have "Land of the Midnight Sun"). Time to start digging through the used LP crates...

magiccarpetride
24-03-2017, 22:28

In a sort of kind of similar fashion, I like to play Chick Corea's "Leprechaun" to those who are curious to hear what a good turntable can do. That LP has some pretty impressive dynamics.

walpurgis
24-03-2017, 22:32
a favorite standby is Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. Because everyone has heard it a million times

And I hate hearing it for just that reason.

Got an original release that never gets played.

alphaGT
25-03-2017, 00:19
And I hate hearing it for just that reason.

Got an original release that never gets played.

I hear you, I can't remember the last time I played it just for the pleasure of it. (dSoM) when I'm in the mood for Pink Floyd, I reach for Animals most often.

Now I'm shopping for a copy of Leprechaun! I haven't thought about that in 25 years!

magiccarpetride
25-03-2017, 00:23
I hear you, I can't remember the last time I played it just for the pleasure of it. (dSoM) when I'm in the mood for Pink Floyd, I reach for Animals most often.

Now I'm shopping for a copy of Leprechaun! I haven't thought about that in 25 years!

Haha, beware -- good pressing of Leprechaun can blow you out of the listening room. That recording is HOTTTTTT! Steve Gadd on drums is a motherfucker.

alphaGT
25-03-2017, 03:10
Haha, beware -- good pressing of Leprechaun can blow you out of the listening room. That recording is HOTTTTTT! Steve Gadd on drums is a motherfucker.

That's great! Since I got my new amp, it's like I just discovered drums again!

IslandPink
28-03-2017, 17:08
'Nuclear Burn' from Brand X 'Unorthodox Behaviour' !
Or for female vocals - 'Proud Maisrie' from Shirley Collins/Davey Graham 'Folk roots new routes'.

JohnMcC
28-03-2017, 17:31
Shirley Collins and Davey Graham! Two track recording, no manipulation - wonderful!

magiccarpetride
28-03-2017, 17:37
Used to test my tt's with Crime of the century on speakers corner records, by supertramp. An awesome recording. Lately its been also The great summit on wax time, by Louis armstrong and duke ellington.

Yes! I managed to get my hands on the Supertramp "Crime of the Century" LP (the sticker on the cover says "Audiophile edition"; not sure what does that mean?) But man, the sound on that LP is stunning!

Another discovery I made this weekend is Eberhart Weber "Little Movements" LP. Got it at a garage sale for $2.00, not in the best shape, but also thunderously sounding. Now I'm on the hunt for that LP in the new LPs sections (hopefully it's not out of print).

vinyljunky
28-03-2017, 17:55
Stevie ray vaughn and double trouble can't stand the weather.Steven Wilson raven that refused to sing Steve Earle copperhead road.Ozric tentacles underslunky.Holly cole trio don't smoke in bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glenann
10-04-2017, 18:38
Peter Gabriel 4. I managed to get one of the last of the 45 rpm half speed remasters. Absolutely fabulous. I've also just ordered Counting Crow's August on 200g 45 rpm, supposed to be awesome... 10/10 according to Michael Fremer, whatever that's worth ;)

alphaGT
11-04-2017, 08:06
Peter Gabriel 4. I managed to get one of the last of the 45 rpm half speed remasters. Absolutely fabulous. I've also just ordered Counting Crow's August on 200g 45 rpm, supposed to be awesome... 10/10 according to Michael Fremer, whatever that's worth ;)

That Peter Gabriel is an awesome record, 45rpm or not! I don't own any 45 rpm LP's, do they really make that much difference? Other than the fact that the voltage output of a cartridge is measured at a particular speed. The faster the higher the output voltage. That may be important with a LOMC? Anyway it makes me curious?

Joe
11-04-2017, 08:41
'Raw Power' by Iggy and the Stooges.

glenann
11-04-2017, 13:49
That Peter Gabriel is an awesome record, 45rpm or not! I don't own any 45 rpm LP's, do they really make that much difference? Other than the fact that the voltage output of a cartridge is measured at a particular speed. The faster the higher the output voltage. That may be important with a LOMC? Anyway it makes me curious?

I don't know the answer to that question. But having done a quick 'google' gave these links

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=28832
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/why-45-rpm-great-45-rpm-12-lp-explanation-by-kevin-gray.132280/

Hope that helps? :eek:

OD1
11-04-2017, 15:26
In no particular order:

Albums
Ronny Jordan - The Antidote (Enjoy every track on this album)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Love the piano solo in Freddy Freeloader)
Carol Thompson - Hopelessly in Love (Lovely vocals & reminds me of my raving days :eyebrows:)
King Tubby - Surrounded by the dreads at the national arena

12" 45rpm

Black Uhuru - Plastic Smile (Sly on Drums / Robbie on Bass nuff said ;))

Haselsh1
11-04-2017, 16:11
English Tapas by Sleaford Mods. Bloody brilliant.

macvisual
11-04-2017, 20:35
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather, track, Tin Pan Alley

This audio track is sublime...!!!!

Bigman80
11-04-2017, 21:26

+1

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Yomanze
11-04-2017, 22:13
Not so much blowing socks off, but a test of vinyl, is to get the low end of Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" sounding as good as it does on CD. Both formats are superbly mastered.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

walpurgis
11-04-2017, 22:33
Bass drum is a good test of bass accuracy.

It's amazing how many speakers can't cope with bass transients, presenting a soggy, overhanging 'boomph' instead of a tight wallop.

Quad ESL's don't do true deep bass, but they do reproduce incredibly tight and accurate bass transients. It's a rare speaker that can do deep, accurate and tight low frequency notes. BIG, older JBL and Altec speakers spring to mind. 15" Tannoys do pretty well too.

And, much as it pains me to admit, older Cerwin Vega's and early Bose 901's manage this too.

magiccarpetride
11-04-2017, 22:39
Bass drum is a good test of bass accuracy.

It's amazing how many speakers can't cope with bass transients, presenting a soggy, overhanging 'boomph' instead of a tight wallop.

Quad ESL's don't do true deep bass, but they do reproduce incredibly tight and accurate bass transients. It's a rare speaker that can do deep, accurate and tight low frequency notes. BIG, older JBL and Altec speakers spring to mind. 15" Tannoys do pretty well too.

And, much as it pains me to admit, older Cerwin Vega's and early Bose 901's manage this too.

My old Maggies tend to do a pretty decent bass drum. Of course, anything below 30 Hz is a challenge, but I don't believe bass drum goes deeper than that?

Sherwood
11-04-2017, 22:48
My old Maggies tend to do a pretty decent bass drum. Of course, anything below 30 Hz is a challenge, but I don't believe bass drum goes deeper than that?

Agreed, my Magneplanar 1.7 startle visitors unprepared for the speed and impact of drums. Yes, it takes a special amplifier, but when driven properly they are an amazing design.

Geoff

magiccarpetride
11-04-2017, 22:51
Agreed, my Magneplanar 1.7 startle visitors unprepared for the speed and impact of drums. Yes, it takes a special amplifier, but when driven properly they are an amazing design.

Geoff

Yes, speed is the key point. I've never heard faster drums than on well set up old Maggies. Snappy as hell, with loads of slam, weight and girth to boot.

walpurgis
11-04-2017, 22:54
Maggies, with their light diaphragms, should manage bass transients well enough. And having heard various Magnaplanars, I know they do. As do the big Apogee full range ribbon speakers (incredibly well actually........not heard any for many years though).

Bass drum, depending on size and design may well offer bass components that go below 30hz. I doubt by much though.

alphaGT
12-04-2017, 01:19
I don't know the answer to that question. But having done a quick 'google' gave these links

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=28832
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/why-45-rpm-great-45-rpm-12-lp-explanation-by-kevin-gray.132280/

Hope that helps? :eek:

Exactly! The guy who said the same reason they run tape at 7 ips instead of 3.5ips had it right. The faster the surface is moving, the more information can be recorded. It increases resolution, just as with old VHS tape, it ran at 3 speeds, and the faster, the better. Able to store more information per second. There it is in a nutshell

Sherwood
12-04-2017, 07:02
Maggies, with their light diaphragms, should manage bass transients well enough. And having heard various Magnaplanars, I know they do. As do the big Apogee full range ribbon speakers (incredibly well actually........not heard any for many years though).

Bass drum, depending on size and design may well offer bass components that go below 30hz. I doubt by much though.

I could not say whether my Maggies are delivering much if anything below 30hz but to my ears there is sufficient extension and quality of bass that I would not even begin to think about a sub-woofer. In fact, I am not a fan of sub-woofers in general and have found the tradeoffs involved in other aspects of system performance to be unacceptable to me, not least the smearing of transients. I have mine set up in a dedicated music room (a decent sized double bedroom) and had to take some steps (i.e. room treatment) to avoid excess bass reinforcement. I have them set up well out from the rear walls (about 1.5m?) and about a 30cm away from the side walls (being dipoles they do not emit much energy laterally). I have them slightly toe-in with the ribbon tweeters on the inside edge rather than the outside. In this position the sound stage is huge and the presence of vocalists extremely impressive.

Geoff

magiccarpetride
12-04-2017, 16:30
I could not say whether my Maggies are delivering much if anything below 30hz but to my ears there is sufficient extension and quality of bass that I would not even begin to think about a sub-woofer. In fact, I am not a fan of sub-woofers in general and have found the tradeoffs involved in other aspects of system performance to be unacceptable to me, not least the smearing of transients. I have mine set up in a dedicated music room (a decent sized double bedroom) and had to take some steps (i.e. room treatment) to avoid excess bass reinforcement. I have them set up well out from the rear walls (about 1.5m?) and about a 30cm away from the side walls (being dipoles they do not emit much energy laterally). I have them slightly toe-in with the ribbon tweeters on the inside edge rather than the outside. In this position the sound stage is huge and the presence of vocalists extremely impressive.

Geoff

You can test how deep your Maggies can go with an audio test CD (I have a few, forgot who the manufacturers are). While most Maggies nominally cannot go below 40 Hz, many actually do (especially the older, vintage models, such as mine). But once you dip below 30 Hz, all you hear is dead silence.

Sherwood
12-04-2017, 16:35
You can test how deep your Maggies can go with an audio test CD (I have a few, forgot who the manufacturers are). While most Maggies nominally cannot go below 40 Hz, many actually do (especially the older, vintage models, such as mine). But once you dip below 30 Hz, all you hear is dead silence.

Thanks for the advice, but as I said, I am very happy with the sound in my current setup. Not really concerned with measurements, only the overall sound!

Geoff

alphaGT
13-04-2017, 00:53
People forget that when they see a figure saying it goes down to 40hz, that means within 3db. I'm sure it goes far south of there at 6db and 9db, as it rolls off.

SquireC
13-04-2017, 14:16

Have to agree Peter. Power and delicacy. Lovely recording.

I also use Paul Simon - Diamonds on the soles of her shoes - great recording of african singers and sharp percussion, and David Crosby - Croz - the 45rpm tracks.

WESTLOWER
14-04-2017, 09:30
Pat Metheny 'Au Lait' from ECM Offramp
Charlie Haden "Too late" from ECM 'The Ballad of a Fallen' (Haden's bass is as low as it goes! Then the brass come in!!!)

drSM
19-04-2017, 01:12
Some great recommendations earlier in the thread. Thank you all as i ve discovered some great music eg Love - Forever Changes

Supertramps s B fast in America - a revelation . Pulled mine out a '79 UK pressing. prob never been played on a half decent hifi, and never been played for 30 yrs. washed it. Lo n behold, nostalgic and sonically superb,
so i agree with eralier recommendation.
Bob Marley - Kaya - UK pressing '77 - invoked early stoned days - and great sound too
and the big surprise is
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club band - from the much maligned movie of the mid 70s - featuring the Bee Gees, Frampton, Sandy Farina(great voice), George Burns also Aerosmith, Earth Wind n Fire (Got to get u into my
life - wow!), credits include Larry Carlton. I was given this local (Malaysian ) pressing that i tossed to one side. Well its the huge
surprise. Enjoyable and a super pressing.

Phil Lawton
19-04-2017, 14:40
'The First day' - David Sylvian/Robert Fripp

'Cupid & Psyche '85' - Scritti Politti

'Strangeitude' - Ozric Tentacles

'Music Has The Right To Children' - Boards Of Canada

'Gnayse' - Bola

'Leftism' - Leftfield

'Song For My Father' - Horace Silver Quintet

'Armed Forces' - Elvis Costello (MFSL remaster)

'Working With Fire & Steel' - China Crisis

'Maiden Voyage' - Herbie Hancock

'Future 2 Future' - Herbie Hancock

'Time Out' - Dave Brubek

'Seeds Of Love' - Tears For Fears (MFSL remaster)

'100 Days Off' - Underworld

'Journey Inwards' - LTJ Bukem

Nickfna
20-04-2017, 17:48
the Specials, More Specials.

It's all a load of bollocks.:cool:

Qwin
27-04-2017, 09:32
London Grammar, If You Wait 2x 45rpm.

+1 for the Hugh Masekela

+1 for London Grammar, especially last track, side D.

+1 for Hugh Masekela

Also the Gregory Porter Liquid Spirit

and Yellow, The Race, x45 12" single

An Invitation to Windham Hill x33(various artists) Direct Metal Mastering.

magiccarpetride
27-04-2017, 16:53
Thanks, you've whetted my appetite as well. I don't think I have that LP (I have "Land of the Midnight Sun"). Time to start digging through the used LP crates...

Finally managed to get my hands on Dimeola's "Elegant Gypsy". Believe it or not, I found a mint copy in a $1.00 used LPs bin! Not only is the LP mint, the record sleeves (both inner and outer) are brand new! Who would give such perfect copy away for a buck?

On to the music on that record: is it just me, or was Dimeola a much better player back in the '70s than he is today? Much more fire, elegance, passion, grace in his playing back then. He sounds quite sedated when playing today; must be the old age catching up with good old Al ;)

My biggest gripe with that record is Anthony Jackson's bass playing. Jackson seems stuck on the higher strings on his bass guitar, barely ever venturing below 200 Hz territory. That contributes to the somewhat wimpy sound that lacks cojones (I also don't dig Jackson's metallic bass tone at all). Dimeola would've definitely benefited on that album had he hired his old bandmate Stanley Clarke.

Of course, the highlight of that record (and of Dimeola's entire career) is "Lady of Rome, Sister of Brazil" -- sadly a very short track, but I could play it and replay it forever. The most gorgeous guitar playing imaginable.

Qwin
27-04-2017, 17:54
This is a good thread - more LPs to buy!

No this is a bad thread - more LP's to buy! :eyebrows:

Dunluce978
01-05-2017, 15:14
There is one LP that stands out from all the rest I own in a demo. It's a direct cut by a German company (Stockfisch) and it is the best I have ever heard from a production point of view.

Sara K - "Waterfalls"

struth
01-05-2017, 17:29
There is one LP that stands out from all the rest I own in a demo. It's a direct cut by a German company (Stockfisch) and it is the best I have ever heard from a production point of view.

Sara K - "Waterfalls"

That is a good one... double disc from metal master.

JohnMcC
02-05-2017, 19:24
Just bought a copy of Peter Gabriel's "So" - 180gm, half speed remaster. Amazing. Shows how good a modern pressing can be. I'll be using this to show off my set-up from now on. Stylus goes down, usual small "thunk" as it drops into the groove, then . . . complete silence until the music kicks in ("Red Rain" on side 1). All for £15 from the HMV shop when I was in town - and it's a long time since I bought anything from them!