PDA

View Full Version : Why is my turntable making me happy?

magiccarpetride
14-03-2017, 17:47
As a musician, I love buying guitars. I started saving money for my latest purchase, and then just as I was ready to pull the trigger and buy that gorgeous Telecaster, some tiny but persistent voice in my head mentioned the word: "Turntable!"

Now, I've given up on analog music reproduction long time ago. There are many reasons why analog is tedious, while digital is ultra convenient. As a self-proclaimed audiophile, I've spent a lot of time and a lot of money building my dream digital sound system. So why would I now start burning money on messing with analog sound reproduction? I have amassed thousands upon thousands of hours of high quality digital music, and I only have meagre 100 or so LPs in my collection.

But the irrational persistent voice in my head could not be swayed, so one thing lead to another, and about ten days ago I got me a brand new analog rig. After messing around and setting everything up, I waited for the cantilever in my cartridge to break in (20 to 30 hours of playing), and so yesterday I sat down for a good listen.

I put on Chick Corea's "Leprechaun". A forty years old record, still in almost perfect shape. From the very opening of the side one, the sound nailed me to my seat. This was something else, a different kind of listening experience. By the time I finished listening to both sides, I felt an intense feeling of well being flood through my veins. Something was right with the world, I felt unlimited happiness emanating from every fibre of my body.

Intrigued, I decided to play the same album ("Leprechaun") in digital format. Immediately heard the difference. Something was missing from the digital playback. What is it?

I couldn't put my finger on it. After scratching my head a bit, and going back-and-forth between the LP and the AIFF file, it dawned on me. The essential difference between a good analog playback and a good digital playback can best described by one word: ENERGY!

I felt that there is some sort of added energy that was coming out of the LP. Now, how do we measure that energy? It's not the decibels, because just cranking up the digital playback still does not convey that energy. I really am at a loss when it comes to defining or measuring that mysterious element, that analog energy, but I thought maybe someone on this forum is more articulate than I am, and could perhaps add their opinion. The only thing I can come up with is that by the sheer physicality of the turntable (it is a mechanical contraption that is producing a lot of kinetic energy as the platter is spinning), this kinetic energy somehow makes its way to the sound coming out of the speakers. And with digital, since nothing is moving, that kinetic energy is missing.

Whatever it is, my turntable is making me very happy!

Rothchild
14-03-2017, 18:15
Wanna buy some magic beans?

;-)

Glad to hear it's working well for you, sometimes the 'why' is less important than the 'what'

Bigman80
14-03-2017, 18:19
Welcome to the never ending money pit of analogue

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

mayebaza
14-03-2017, 18:48
Well my totally unproven theory is that the brain picks up extra patterns in sound waves between the stylus and the vinyl because they mimic the behaviour of the eardrum and the bones of the middle ear. Our brain perceives this as more, musicality than from a digital source. As I said previously I have no imperical evidence, it just a theory of mine.

Macca
14-03-2017, 19:09
I've got a lot of albums on both CD and vinyl and I have sometimes become confused as to whether I am listening to the CD or the vinyl version. As in I've forgotten which I put on. Not to say there isn't a difference if I listen for it but if I am enjoying the music it doesn't occur to me to do that.

magiccarpetride
14-03-2017, 19:36
I've got a lot of albums on both CD and vinyl and I have sometimes become confused as to whether I am listening to the CD or the vinyl version. As in I've forgotten which I put on. Not to say there isn't a difference if I listen for it but if I am enjoying the music it doesn't occur to me to do that.

You can't be serious. You cannot remember whether you've fussed about putting on an LP (with all the accompanying ritual of cleaning the stylus, brushing the LP to remove surface dust/static, putting the clamp on, centering the tonearm, lowering the tonearm) or you simply pushed the 'Play' button on your remote control?

Jimbo
14-03-2017, 19:53

Can't be a very resolving system if you can't tell the difference between vinyl or CD!

Macca
14-03-2017, 20:13
Missing my point. The playback doesn't have to be the best ever resolution to enjoy it, to forget all else. As long as there is nothing to interrupt that, I forget about the mechanisms involved. 20 minute of an LP side is enough for that - for me anyway. Doesn't happen every time, but it happens, especially if I am playing both records and CDs in a session. I am using a Technics sL1200 though, which I think does sound more like a digital source than a lot of record decks.

Obviously if it was a blind test I'm sure I could tell them apart 100% of the time but listening for enjoyment isn't a test.

Marco
14-03-2017, 20:35
Can't be a very resolving system if you can't tell the difference between vinyl or CD!

Ah now.... In actuality, the *best* turntables share the traits of the best CD players, and vice versa.

Thing is, when you can get a turntable to sound as 'accurate', effortless, stable/rock-solid and (almost) as quiet as a good CD player, whilst still acing it in the musicality stakes, then you *know* you've got something that's rather special.....

Welcome to the world of a judiciously modified Technics SL-1200/1210 ;)

Marco.

karma67
14-03-2017, 20:40
Welcome to the world of a judiciously modified Technics SL-1200/1210 ;)

Marco.

yep if its good enough for the dj fat boy slim .......:D

Marco
14-03-2017, 20:45
:lolsign:

Contrary to popular belief, most DJs like a good sound, too!

[Hence why the Technics was chosen and used by thousands of professionals worldwide, not just because of its ruggedness].

Marco.

Marco
14-03-2017, 20:51
I've got a lot of albums on both CD and vinyl and I have sometimes become confused as to whether I am listening to the CD or the vinyl version.

I know *exactly* what you mean, as I'm the same.

However, that's because my turntable shares the traits of a good CD player, as I described before, and most of the records I play are in pristine condition and squeaky-clean (having been meticulously run through an RCM), so as with CD, in terms of noise, there is virtual silence on playback.

No clicks, no pops, no scratchy noises - just pure unadulterated musical pleasure! :cool:

It's therefore sometimes VERY easy to momentarily forget if you're listening to vinyl or CD.

Marco.

Jimbo
14-03-2017, 20:52
:lolsign:

Contrary to popular opinion, most DJs like a good sound, too!

[Hence why the Technics was chosen by professionals, not just because of its ruggedness].

Marco.

Must be good if they are installing them at Abbey Road studios

http://thevinylfactory.com/news/abbey-road-technics-sl-1200-turntables/

Marco
14-03-2017, 20:58
Interesting, Jim.... :)

Marco.

Jimbo
14-03-2017, 21:11
Interesting, Jim.... :)

Marco.

This was an interesting review Marco. Compares the new cheaper Technics SL1200 against the original.

http://www.tonepublications.com/analogaholic/the-technics-sl-1200g-turntable/

Marco
14-03-2017, 21:13
Cheers, mate. I'll give that a read :cool:

Marco.

RobbieGong
14-03-2017, 21:18
An interesting read.

Cas
14-03-2017, 22:10
Analogue is what your ears prefer, it has something to do with speed of delivery, analogue delivers the sound slower than digital therefore your
ears pick out out more of the sound. Its all there in the digital version but because the sound is delivered faster your ears miss it.

Have a read through this thread - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?50074-Digital-recordings-on-vinyl

Stratmangler
14-03-2017, 22:30
Analogue is what your ears prefer, it has something to do with speed of delivery, analogue delivers the sound slower than digital therefore your
ears pick out out more of the sound. Its all there in the digital version but because the sound is delivered faster your ears miss it.

Have a read through this thread - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?50074-Digital-recordings-on-vinyl

That's novel, posting a link to another thread started by the OP.