PDA

View Full Version : Missing Earth

electric beach
05-01-2010, 21:42
I've just opened a RA Yello mains plug - one of those "do not open on pain of losing all return rights" ones - that I've used for years, to find the Earth lead unconnected.
Apart from the safety issue, I was thinking that this must be effecting the overall earth integrity of the system, no? How would this be heard?

Barry
05-01-2010, 21:51
I've just opened a RA Yello mains plug - one of those "do not open on pain of losing all return rights" ones - that I've used for years, to find the Earth lead unconnected.
Apart from the safety issue, I was thinking that this must be effecting the overall earth integrity of the system, no? How would this be heard?

Where is this 'Yello' lead used? If it is used on say the CD player or the turntable then you need not worry. If it is used to supply the entire system (via a distribution board), change it immediately - your system is unsafe!

I would have thought that unless the cable is marked as having an interrupted earth continuity connection, it is in contrevention of EU CE regulations and could amount to RA being sued should an accident occur.

Regards

hifi_dave
05-01-2010, 21:54
As above.

Surely that must be totally illegal nowadays.:eek:

electric beach
05-01-2010, 22:26
Thanks guys.

It's wired in now. I'm sure it wasn't intended, other Yello cables that I have are not like this. I'm 99% sure that I haven't stressed the cable to pull it out and it shows no sign of strain.

I've used it in all components at different times, but recently on DAC or Sub. Could it potentially effect the sound?

Barry
05-01-2010, 22:50
Thanks guys.

It's wired in now. I'm sure it wasn't intended, other Yello cables that I have are not like this. I'm 99% sure that I haven't stressed the cable to pull it out and it shows no sign of strain.

I've used it in all components at different times, but recently on DAC or Sub. Could it potentially effect the sound?

Hard to say. Most modern audio equipment separate the earthing of the metalwork (casing) from the audio ground or 0v line with a 10R resistor or similar. The presence or otherwise of the earth continuity conductor will thus make no difference to the sound, but if not connected to the mains earth will leave that item of equipment at risk of becoming live should a fault occur and thus potentialy lethal. Earth connections are provided by the manufacturer for a good reason - your safety. The only case where a mains lead can be used without the earth continuity conductor is when it is used with an item of equipment that is double insulated (denoted by a 'square within a square' symbol) and is fitted with a 3 pin IEC connector in which the metal earth pin is either missing or replaced by a plastic one.

Regards

electric beach
05-01-2010, 23:01
There's also no fuse but a copper wire soldered to the fuse holder.

Have two more nice new Mark Grant power leads coming by Yeti delivery in the morning. Good job I found it though as I'll be selling the RA leads to a mate whom I quite like... :trust:

Barry
05-01-2010, 23:07
There's also no fuse but a copper wire soldered to the fuse holder.

Have two more nice new Mark Grant power leads coming by Yeti delivery in the morning. Good job I found it though as I'll be selling the RA leads to a mate whom I quite like... :trust:

That's also out of order. Desolder the wire and fit a 3A fuse before you sell the cable to your mate.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
06-01-2010, 00:01
This all sounds a little worrying to me. The earth can be explained away, but the fuse!!!!
Is this legal?
It's surely not? - apart from the fact that the fuse is removed I didn't think you were supposed to solely solder mains connections, but that they had also to be physically anchored as well as the solder could melt in extreme conditions.