PDA

View Full Version : Hi AoS

ptstucky
04-03-2017, 22:20
Hello all,

It is long past due that I introduce myself to the forum, as I have been lurking about and learning a great deal from everyone for well over a year now. Innocently enough, I began reading about externalizing the transformer in my Technics SL-1210MK2s in order to avoid a problem with a cartridge that is notorious for picking up hum from the internal power supply. One year later and I am well down the rabbit hole of Technics mods and have thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I never thought myself an apt technician, but the tutorials and advice I have found on this forum have continued to pique my curiosity and have built my confidence enough to dive in myself. I now have a great sounding deck (working on the second) and a far greater knowledge and appreciation of analog playback in general.

I look forward to participating in the forum and sharing my experiences. Cheers!

Paul

struth
04-03-2017, 22:31
Great stuff. welcome aboard Paul. Hope you join in the dialogue.:)

Macca
04-03-2017, 23:52
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

What other kit are you using?

walpurgis
05-03-2017, 09:30
Hi Paul. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to and a bit about the rest of your system.

As you've seen, this is the place for Technics info and upgrades, but there's a lot more going on, so get involved and join in.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Barry
05-03-2017, 22:21
Welcome to AoS Paul.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

RichB
12-03-2017, 11:02
Yep the Techie modding can go as far as your budget will permit.

Quite content with the moderate mods on mine though.

Welcome to AoS.

jollyfix
12-03-2017, 11:06
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

ptstucky
01-04-2017, 18:13
Thanks for the welcomes, all - and sorry for the delay in replying regarding the other bits in my system. My first experience with the Techie (like many, I suspect) was as a DJ. I rarely play out anymore, but I still like to mix at home, so I currently run my 1210s into a late-model Bozak CMA-10-2DLA rotary mixer. At the moment, I'm content to retain the signature sound of this classic mixer, but I am also aware that I could see major improvements investing in some external phono preamps.

From there, I am driving everything with a Consonance Opera M100SE integrated tube (valve) amp. For those not familiar with it, I would say the Consonance is less "tube sounding" than most other options, but offers a big soundstage and pretty impressive clarity. I have had the amp for over 12 years, so moving onward and upward is on my mind.

For speakers, I have been running a pair of B&W 602 S2 monitors, again for over a decade. These have been tireless workhorses for me, and I have enjoyed the transparency and detail they bring for a really reasonable price. Again, looking to move to something different (and hopefully better) this year.

As for the mods I have made over the last year or so to my 1200s, I have opted to keep one deck relatively stock for now so that I can compare against new mods I am making to the other. Thus far, I have added:
KAB PS-1200GX external power supply
KAB DC1200 regulator
KAB SX1200 strobe switch
KAB TD1200 fluid damper
KAB/Cardas SuperFlex tonearm rewire
KAB/Cardas SpiralAir interconnects
KAB Poly-Metal Mat with the original thick rubber mat
Mike New Bearing
Mike New Bearing Base Plate (I have yet to install this, as I still need to remove the transformer for proper clearance; I would still like to retain use of the original on/off switch, however, and haven't figured out how best to do this...)

I generally run a Denon 103R cartridge in an Uwe ebony wood body and use a Bob's Devices CineMag step-up transformer, but I also recently bought an Audio-Technica ATN-150MLX MM cartridge. Obviously, I don't attempt to mix with either of these.

Ultimately, I either want to bring the second deck identical to the first, or take it down a completely different upgrade path altogether - still deciding on that one.

As for what I listen to, I would say perhaps 50% is electronic music of one form or another (house, downtempo, lots of other stuff), 30% jazz (mostly bebop, hard-bop, west coast cool, bossa, female vocals), and the rest a mix of rock, hip-hop, classical/opera, and just "other."

Anyways, thanks again all for welcoming me to the forum! I'll try to be better about timely replies. :)

Best,
Paul

Lawrence001
28-02-2020, 23:25
Thanks for the welcomes, all - and sorry for the delay in replying regarding the other bits in my system. My first experience with the Techie (like many, I suspect) was as a DJ. I rarely play out anymore, but I still like to mix at home, so I currently run my 1210s into a late-model Bozak CMA-10-2DLA rotary mixer. At the moment, I'm content to retain the signature sound of this classic mixer, but I am also aware that I could see major improvements investing in some external phono preamps.

From there, I am driving everything with a Consonance Opera M100SE integrated tube (valve) amp. For those not familiar with it, I would say the Consonance is less "tube sounding" than most other options, but offers a big soundstage and pretty impressive clarity. I have had the amp for over 12 years, so moving onward and upward is on my mind.

For speakers, I have been running a pair of B&W 602 S2 monitors, again for over a decade. These have been tireless workhorses for me, and I have enjoyed the transparency and detail they bring for a really reasonable price. Again, looking to move to something different (and hopefully better) this year.

As for the mods I have made over the last year or so to my 1200s, I have opted to keep one deck relatively stock for now so that I can compare against new mods I am making to the other. Thus far, I have added:
KAB PS-1200GX external power supply
KAB DC1200 regulator
KAB SX1200 strobe switch
KAB TD1200 fluid damper
KAB/Cardas SuperFlex tonearm rewire
KAB/Cardas SpiralAir interconnects
KAB Poly-Metal Mat with the original thick rubber mat
Mike New Bearing
Mike New Bearing Base Plate (I have yet to install this, as I still need to remove the transformer for proper clearance; I would still like to retain use of the original on/off switch, however, and haven't figured out how best to do this...)

I generally run a Denon 103R cartridge in an Uwe ebony wood body and use a Bob's Devices CineMag step-up transformer, but I also recently bought an Audio-Technica ATN-150MLX MM cartridge. Obviously, I don't attempt to mix with either of these.

Ultimately, I either want to bring the second deck identical to the first, or take it down a completely different upgrade path altogether - still deciding on that one.

As for what I listen to, I would say perhaps 50% is electronic music of one form or another (house, downtempo, lots of other stuff), 30% jazz (mostly bebop, hard-bop, west coast cool, bossa, female vocals), and the rest a mix of rock, hip-hop, classical/opera, and just "other."

Anyways, thanks again all for welcoming me to the forum! I'll try to be better about timely replies. :)

Best,
Paul

Just resurrecting this old thread as I noticed you had the same Opera amp as me (and there aren't many around). Do you still have it, and did you upgrade your speakers in the end?